PDA

View Full Version : Beginner armies

thesoundofmusica
11-12-2011, 02:07
I want to get my brother into warhammer. He's been playing mordheim with us now for a couple months and really enjoying it.

The question really is which armies are good for beginners? Like if this was 40k I'd recommend space marines coz of overall effectiveness, forgiving and low model count (at least when I played them couple of editions ago). Dont think he has the patience painting up a horde army, at least not for starters.

To narrow things down Beastmen, WoC, Brets and High Elfs are already taken in our smallish group :P

The Low King
11-12-2011, 03:05
All armies that can be quite easy to learn as they have high leadership and tough troops. They can take a charge as well as deal one so you dont need to worry as much about lining up charges (like bretts). Also have less randomness than most armies.

Warriors. Powerful troops, good on both offence and defence, forgiving. (but cant have
them)

Lizardmen. Good in all phases, powerful troops. Cold blooded means more forgiving.

Dwarfs. Tough troops, static so require less fancy manoevering.

Maybe empire. Balanced forces, learn all phases.

Tarian
11-12-2011, 03:10
Empire is a decent choice, Dark Elves are good, and not too horde-ish.

I'd say High Elves, but they're taken, WoC is taken too, and Skaven has too many models!

Agoz
11-12-2011, 03:21
Ogres could be a good starting army, very low model count, a variety of units, good middle of the road troops and possibly the toughest characters in the game. Plus their book just came out so they've got an up to date model range.

dimetri1
11-12-2011, 04:38
What about Daemons.

kris.sherriff
11-12-2011, 09:38
I would have said WoC but seeing as they are taken in your group and you would rather have something difrent I would go Ogres.

Low model count and can be played with relativly few tricks to get the hang of the game (shouldn't take too long if he is playing Mordhime

Akkaryn
11-12-2011, 10:11
I'd suggest ogres too. With empire and lizzies close runners up.

Jind_Singh
11-12-2011, 10:36
I would say Ogres for various reasons:

1) There are two 'forces of order' and two 'forces of destruction' with Ogres being smack in the middle neutral - so that's cool from a group setting!

2) Cheap CHEAP to start! A single battalion box does the trick for a beginner, two makes them HUGE for points!

3) 8th Ed army book - this goes a long way, it's a balanced book with some truly hard hitting builds, but also the ability to mash together any kind of list and still do well.

4) Super easy to build and paint - those are two fundamental criteria people overlook!

5) Some of the sexiest models in the range

6) Pretty easy to get the hang off, and they have an answer to pretty much every army out there

Nuff said!

bildo
11-12-2011, 10:38
daemons are the most forgiving, tough, ass kicking troops, never ever run away, powerful, not too small a force, but not too big, depend on if your taking a greater daemon

thesoundofmusica
11-12-2011, 17:10
Thx guys. He's coming over this evening, I'll do my sales pitch and get back to you with the result :D

Charistoph
11-12-2011, 20:43
I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet, but "Whatever army he thinks looks the coolest!" should also be mentioned. There are ways to build most armies so they don't duplicate.

But, I suppose it's a good to know from where to start showing him around. Ogres, Lizards, Greenskins, and Empire are all great starting armies, with Skaven and High Elves being pretty good, too.

theshoveller
11-12-2011, 20:48
I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet, but "Whatever army he thinks looks the coolest!" should also be mentioned. There are ways to build most armies so they don't duplicate.
This, a hundred times over.

Korraz
11-12-2011, 20:48
Honestly, it doesn't matter anymore. It really doesn't. Any army is just as good as the next when it comes to starting.
Even WE. You'll have a long losing streak anyway.

The bearded one
11-12-2011, 22:50
Honestly, it doesn't matter anymore. It really doesn't. Any army is just as good as the next when it comes to starting.
Even WE. You'll have a long losing streak anyway.

The man has a point. I started 40K with Tau, which are getting poor due to their age, so I'd have losing streaks anyway. Suprisingly I pretty much broke even in terms of win/loss in my first couple months :)

Start tough, learn tough, get tough.

I'd say Ogres or Dwarfs though. They're pretty easy to wield and paint and the contents of their respective batallions are great.

Don Zeko
12-12-2011, 01:16
If he likes the fluff and models, Dark Elves are pretty flexible, aren't too much trouble to paint, and everything in the battalion box is very worthwhile. Two of them + characters is a great start for an army.

12-12-2011, 01:27
As a fellow Mordiem player and also a Fantasy player I can say that Ogres are fun. They will give your brother a chance to play a type of army that is far different then what he is used to in skirmish situations and with a low model count, new book and painting level of easy-hard depending on how he wants to fashion his army they are great models.

Also though with Fantasy and all other miniature gaming related "what army should I take" it comes down to what is the most visually and fluff apealling for the player. If you don't like it you won't play it.

ArtificerArmour
12-12-2011, 08:13
daemons. hard, always get a save, have access to a herald with loremaster, but still t3 and a bit fragile.

boli
12-12-2011, 12:24
Empire... there will be no confusion over what each unit does

He may get a bit grumpy at the start his stats will be less on average than all your armies; but it is a very solid and easy to learn force with a *lot* of potential. The batalion box + cannon + a couple of characters is a good way to start.

Spiney Norman
12-12-2011, 12:28
I want to get my brother into warhammer. He's been playing mordheim with us now for a couple months and really enjoying it.

The question really is which armies are good for beginners? Like if this was 40k I'd recommend space marines coz of overall effectiveness, forgiving and low model count (at least when I played them couple of editions ago). Dont think he has the patience painting up a horde army, at least not for starters.

To narrow things down Beastmen, WoC, Brets and High Elfs are already taken in our smallish group :P

To be honest all the armies in the current meta work pretty well with the exception of wood elves. Its probably wise to steer clear of anything that is immanently up for a new book (which by common rumour includes Vampire Counts and possibly Empire), but otherwise anything is fair game.

If I were you I'd get your rule book out and show him the pages of model pics and let him read the army backgrounds and let him pick, in my experience he's much more likely to enjoy the game if he likes the models he's painting and is inspired by the background. Theres also no reason to rule out armies your mates play, a group of friends at our local gamesclub had a "Glade wars" grudge match when the last wood elf book came out which was a tourney with 4 WE players fighting each other. I agree it can get a bit old, but two guys with the same army in a club isn't that much of a problem. Its more important than he likes the army he's collecting.

Phazael
12-12-2011, 15:47
Ogres and Lizardmen are the best armies to start someone with. Both are solid armies with lots of directions to expand them. Both are active in all phases of the game without significant special rules to confuse a new player.

woodster17
12-12-2011, 16:01
Must be bloody impossible to start from scratch. I find it hard to pick a new starting army and change my mind all the time, and I already have 3!

Makaber
12-12-2011, 16:16
I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet, but "Whatever army he thinks looks the coolest!" should also be mentioned.

Yes. This.

With a small disclaimer though. I'd typically not recommend Daemons or any of the Undead armies to a beginner, because you miss out on so many imporant elements of the game (marching, charge reactions, breaking and fleeing). But the most important thing is still that he chooses the army that appeals to him most, both visually and playstyle-wise. Take me for example, I love villains and an agressive approach to the game, so I started with Beastmen, back when they had a Ld 8 General. If somebody had recommended me Dwarfs as a first army and I've followed that advice, I would probably have regretted it as I find them really boring. At best I'd have wasted time, money and effort into an army destined to collect dust, and at worst it would have made me lose interest in the game altogether.

And even if you were to pick a starter army "harder" to play than the others, you'd typically learn the ins and outs of it while learning the game anyway. I could probably learn to be a decent Dwarf player in a game or three, whereas working out how to field Wood Elves would take maybe ten or twenty, but at least that would be ten or twenty games I (as a beginner) would learn the game mechanics as well (so I'd probably suck anyway), and they'd be far more enjoyable because I would be playing an army that appealed to me.

So follow your heart.

Shack
12-12-2011, 16:24
I started with ogre, low unit count and easy to paint

Dreadlordpaul
12-12-2011, 16:34
I started with dark elves and I found them hard to learn but once you grasp the basics I found them very fun but I always like to make sure I have other armies just incase I want to play something different :)

thesoundofmusica
12-12-2011, 19:26
Hi again.
Txh everyone for your input.
I agree that visuals are important. I'll first be showing him the model ranges and hopefully he'll find a couple armies interesting and I can give him some info from there.

I wouldnt be 100% against it if he absolutely wanted the same army as someone else, but we did agree beforehand (with mordheim aswell) to as far as possible pick original armies. We'll see what happens =)