PDA

View Full Version : Easy and fast to paint armies?

Crovax20
11-12-2011, 22:22
We have all been there (well a lot of us), going on a buying spree of models and then when you start painting you curse yourself because the painting takes such a damned long time.

I am currently the owner of a Goblin (mostly night gobbo's), Tomb Kings and Empire army. After some horrendous evenings painting up two Rivertrolls I've come to realize why I love my night goblins! Night goblins are so nice, drybrush in grey and then you just got to do some small areas.

Anyhow the River Trolls have made me suicidal whenever I see the colour green, so tonight I went and pulled out my Tomb Kings and oh boy! Drybrush Khemri brown, drybrush bleached bone, drybrush skull white and then just do the details like weapons, shields, bracelets etc. TK archers, its a delight! I'm dreading the day I will take on the Khemri Warsphinx and Necropolis knights though!

Empire is another neckbreaker for me, but I can take reconcile in the fact I took that army as a backburner army for painting where I just paint a few models a year.

So what armies are notoriously easy to paint while still looking pretty decent? What are your sneaky methods of skipping all that layering upon layering?

For me Night Goblins are one of the contenders, sure you might have to paint many but they are all small and one drybrush has 80% of a model finished. Tomb King archers haven't been an issue for me yet either, but I still have tomb guard and monsters to paint up for that.

AlphariusOmegon20
11-12-2011, 22:56
All of the Chaos ones are easy. With WoC, it's mostly armor, DoC and Beastmen it's mostly skin.

The bearded one
11-12-2011, 22:59
It's not skaven, no-no, at least not the way I paint them. I think I'm spending too much time on individual rank&file models. So much-much so, that I might go insane! * twiches *

AlphariusOmegon20
11-12-2011, 23:01
It's not skaven, no-no, at least not the way I paint them. I think I'm spending too much time on individual rank&file models. So much-much so, that I might go insane! * twiches *

Skaven CAN paint quickly, IF you use the Army Painter Rat Fur primer as your basecoat.

thesheriff
11-12-2011, 23:16
Undead are easy to paint. Like you said, many drybrushed abd a wash + details.

Lizards can be very easy. My skinks were;
*Skin Purple
*Scales Blue
*Shields turquoise
*Metal Boltgun
*Gold shining

Wash Asurmen blue the skin/bodies and metal Devlan.

Also, any themed armies that keep model count low (no marauder warriors, ogres in general) can be quickly done too.

thesheriff

The Low King
11-12-2011, 23:16
Ogres. Even if you spend three times as long as normal on each model you still save time because their armies have 1/4 of the models...

Goat of Yuggoth
11-12-2011, 23:37
Well, lizards are the bomb here really, only one metallic paint and it's gold! everything else is basically up to you!

But, I've seen undead, skaven and elves done quickly enough, it's just that you need to know what colours to use and where!

And a tip for the Empire. For white areas, use the following:

Spray white.
Wash wth Khemri Brown
Drybrush with Dheneb Stone
Lightly drybrush with Skull White

And you're done! Just fill in with the second colour of your decision and voila!

Cheers,
Goatee

Duke Ramulots
11-12-2011, 23:55
My orcs n gobbos were easy to paint, a few colors and loads of drybrushing.

tezdal
12-12-2011, 02:54
I find my Brets are a pain to paint, but all that much lovelier when I'm done... peasants are pretty easy though, any dirty colors and then devlan mud to dirty 'em up some more. I've found undead armies fairly easy to paint, and WOC. Tricky for me are lizardmen, I just can't ever get the look I want from them for some reason, besides that most of them are pretty equally difficult for me... but we all paint differently and to different standards so meh.

MLP
12-12-2011, 04:19
I agree Brets are a terrible pain! Batch painting goes out the window when every model has a different livery!

Beastmen on the other hand are unbelievably quick to paint:

1. Spray brown
2. Paint weapons
3. Dip/wash
4. Base your tabletop standard army and laugh at your friends who have only painted a single unit in the same amount of time!

PurpleSun
12-12-2011, 05:33
Ogres. Even if you spend three times as long as normal on each model you still save time because their armies have 1/4 of the models...

I second this. I have painted five armies (wood elves, warriors of chaos, empire, lizardmen, and ogres) and I just started tomb kings.

My entire army consists of about 27 Ogres (3 units and 3 characters), 4 Mournfangs, a Stonehorn, and 4 Sabertusks. You can paint the whole thing in two or three weeks if you are taking your time.

Dreadlordpaul
12-12-2011, 07:18
most of the vampire counts army is simple to paint

ArtificerArmour
12-12-2011, 08:09
iv seen a vamp army done in one night - every unit was just a ghostly blue/green

Algovil
12-12-2011, 08:23
most of the vampire counts army is simple to paint

Hm, I think the skeletons take quite some time to get good looking, I actually leave painting the bone til last, just painting skull white, with light brushing leaving black. Gives good contrast IMO, but I would not say that the new vampire counts skeletons are simple to paint! The ghouls are OK: deneb stone, wash, and details really.

RealMikeBob
12-12-2011, 08:30
Skaven are dead easy. Undercoat, foundation paints then devlan mud the whole thing. Not going to win any awards but when you have 200 of them nobody looks too closely.

mrtn
12-12-2011, 09:13

As RealMikeBob said, base coat and devlan mud takes care of 90% of the model.

I found my Nurgling army fast to paint, so a Nurgle daemon army should be almost as fast. Base coat on the whole model (apart from the sword), dry brush, pick out details, two or three washes and it's more or less finished.

Another point, the bigger brush you use the faster it goes. For my nurglings I mostly used a brush that's bigger than the nurgling.

Duke Ramulots
12-12-2011, 09:22
I find my Brets are a pain to paint, but all that much lovelier when I'm done... peasants are pretty easy though, any dirty colors and then devlan mud to dirty 'em up some more. I've found undead armies fairly easy to paint, and WOC. Tricky for me are lizardmen, I just can't ever get the look I want from them for some reason, besides that most of them are pretty equally difficult for me... but we all paint differently and to different standards so meh.

I agree Brets are a terrible pain! Batch painting goes out the window when every model has a different livery!

Beastmen on the other hand are unbelievably quick to paint:

1. Spray brown
2. Paint weapons
3. Dip/wash
4. Base your tabletop standard army and laugh at your friends who have only painted a single unit in the same amount of time!

It had been so long since I expanded my brets, I had forgotten how much a pain they were to paint. Peasants are easy but the knights horses are such a pain.

Jim
12-12-2011, 09:35
Skaven CAN paint quickly, IF you use the Army Painter Rat Fur primer as your basecoat.

+1 to this...

I've just spent 12-18 months painting Empire and all those state troopers have driven me crazy!

I have picked up a Skaven army and wanted to try out the Army Painter method of 'Spray, Base Coat & Dip'...My impressions are that it is a very quick and effective way of painting an army to a reasonable gaming standard in a short period of time.

However - some armies (like Skaven) suit the 'dirty/rough' finished look. Some would not - I assume a dipped Empire or High Elf army might look spectacularly bad!!!

Jim

Echunia
12-12-2011, 09:48
Every army can be fast to paint. Personally for me it's skin that slows me down, so I'd recommend something armoured. Like dwarfs or WoC.

boli
12-12-2011, 09:52
One word solves 90% of your batch painting: Washes

Foundation colours applied neatly with one or two washes pretty much do 90% of the shading you need on the model; you only need to highlight lightly to sharpen the model and that's pretty much it.

One thing you have got to remember is you're not painting 50 individual models; you're painting a regiment. Its a leason hard learnt on my part as I started out trying to paint my ultramarines individually (which when you have ~ 40 models is posssible) but now I look at the models I have and its just over 400 models for my skaven army; coming up on ~200 on my HE/WE force; painting 400 models consistantly and to a high standard is simply not possible.

To paint single model individually ~1 hour
To batch paint 5 in preparations for washes ~1 hour
To batch paint 5 after washes (highlighting and picking out detail) ~1 hour

I wish I had a working camera as my unit of 40 plaguemonks painted and washed (still need to highlight) over this weekend really showcase the foundation+wash approach.

Spiney Norman
12-12-2011, 10:53
We have all been there (well a lot of us), going on a buying spree of models and then when you start painting you curse yourself because the painting takes such a damned long time.

I am currently the owner of a Goblin (mostly night gobbo's), Tomb Kings and Empire army. After some horrendous evenings painting up two Rivertrolls I've come to realize why I love my night goblins! Night goblins are so nice, drybrush in grey and then you just got to do some small areas.

Anyhow the River Trolls have made me suicidal whenever I see the colour green, so tonight I went and pulled out my Tomb Kings and oh boy! Drybrush Khemri brown, drybrush bleached bone, drybrush skull white and then just do the details like weapons, shields, bracelets etc. TK archers, its a delight! I'm dreading the day I will take on the Khemri Warsphinx and Necropolis knights though!

Empire is another neckbreaker for me, but I can take reconcile in the fact I took that army as a backburner army for painting where I just paint a few models a year.

So what armies are notoriously easy to paint while still looking pretty decent? What are your sneaky methods of skipping all that layering upon layering?

For me Night Goblins are one of the contenders, sure you might have to paint many but they are all small and one drybrush has 80% of a model finished. Tomb King archers haven't been an issue for me yet either, but I still have tomb guard and monsters to paint up for that.

haha, river trolls aren't that bad to paint, I did mine fairly quick to a good standard using mostly foundation paints and washes. I'll have a root around and see if I can dig out the scheme I used (I usually write the schemes down for later if I want to expand the unit).

Quickest/easiest army to paint is probably Ogre Kingdoms, hardly any models to worry about, and either VC or TK because painting bone quickly is a breeze.

I also have an empire army, and I've not so much as started the halberdier horde, just contemplating those 40 state troops is enough to put me off painting for the week... Conincidentally all I have is 10 painted knights, half a unit of Greatswords painted, one of the cannons and all the characters done.

Algovil
12-12-2011, 10:57

Foundation colours applied neatly with one or two washes pretty much do 90% of the shading you need on the model; you only need to highlight lightly to sharpen the model and that's pretty much it.

One thing you have got to remember is you're not painting 50 individual models; you're painting a regiment. Its a leason hard learnt on my part as I started out trying to paint my ultramarines individually (which when you have ~ 40 models is posssible) but now I look at the models I have and its just over 400 models for my skaven army; coming up on ~200 on my HE/WE force; painting 400 models consistantly and to a high standard is simply not possible.

I wish I had a working camera as my unit of 40 plaguemonks painted and washed (still need to highlight) over this weekend really showcase the foundation+wash approach.

I agree! Often I just use bright Foundation colors, wash what is neccesary and highlight metal, do not care to highlight everything and still it is tabletop quality for sure. Of course different models need different approach. This works well with models with lots of metal and dark colours, Dark elves, WoC, VC, Orcs etc, maybe not so much with High elves, empire etc, where they might look a bit dull.

For my Empire army I just use foundation colours, they look OK, not much detail invidually, but as an army, they look great!

Gertjan
12-12-2011, 11:05
A lot of armies are easy to paint really when you get the scheme done. That is the trick in the end, getting a scheme that is easy to paint and then setting up a production line style painting place :angel:. That, and black undercoat, drybrushing and washes, the magic words for fast painting.

But the best of the easy to paint models, Tzeentch demons without a doubt imo. Spray white, apply washes untill desired color effect has been achieved, pick up details, do base, done.

Mercutius
12-12-2011, 12:42
"Easy and fast to paint army?"

I would easily say: none... :-)

Why? What you paint is what you get, in the end, and when it should look good, it need time. You can improve your painting skills, and therfore reduce the needet time, but in the end it will take time!

And the better it looks in the end, the more fun you can have with your army! Table Top is all about the miniatures, otherwise you can play with bricks or something else, IMO! :-).

But yes, a quick painted army is much bettter than just a basecoatet one :-).

The best for me is this: just buy new toys when the old ones are painted! Ok, I often break that rule, but you see what I mean :-).

And TK are a pain, IMO, if you want to give justice to everything else than the bones, if you like, you can check out my painting log. I am fast with the bones, but the rest.... :)

Just read my post again, and perhaps it's a little bit harsh, sorry for that I'm not an native speaker :-). What I want to say is: buy the army with the most lovely models and a fitting playstile, and then just start painting it. Your painting will improve automaticly over the time, and you will become faster in it too! Look about it this way: when you're half way through your army painting, and now it will go easyly from your hand, you will ask yourself why you don't have picked the army you liked most, just becaus it seems to be so much painting :-).

Crovax20
12-12-2011, 13:57
Looking over the armies GW has on offer, I am starting to think dwarves also offer quite an easy time to a painter... Mostly metal areas, beards can be drybrushed carefully, leaves just the trims and the flesh.

Engekomkommer
12-12-2011, 16:35
Skaven are pretty easy. Spray bone, light brown wash all over. Brown wash the skin, purple washe the robes, silver on metal. Final all over wash of brown/black.

However, undead I'd say are alot easier to paint.

yabbadabba
12-12-2011, 16:37
Skaven CAN paint quickly, IF you use the Army Painter Rat Fur primer as your basecoat. Nah, you can do it with a black undercoat and drybrush city. Similar for Dwarves as well, its all down to quality control really.

I used to find in the old days of the face-on plastics that you could hide a multitude of sins behind a well painted shield, and this is increased with with ranks of basic troops. Still nothing beats the old Skeletons in a VC army :evilgrin:

mbh1127
12-12-2011, 16:48

This will work if you have the right models. The new skaven are built for this type of painting but the much older metal ones are a nightmare with this method.

Too much detail or something.

Roi Baudoin
12-12-2011, 17:19
Bretonnians, no doubt...
naaaaaah, just kidding! Though it is my favourite army, I paint a knight every second year...more it's just too painful... (ok I am exaggerating again...)
For something fast I go on VC...

12-12-2011, 18:02
Bretonnians are not so bad if you are like I am and absolutely hate block painting rank and file. I find that getting through a group of Knights is quite relaxing, just take some acid put on pink floyd and let the brush do all the work. (Last part of course is a joke and I do not endorse this idea whatsoever).

castlesmadeofsand
12-12-2011, 18:46
But, I've seen undead, skaven and elves done quickly enough, it's just that you need to know what colours to use and where!

this. i've been getting back into the hobby slowly but have been irrationally putting off painting again because i can't decide what colours to use. i've got 5 savage orc test models on the go now but it's so slow as i agonise over which colours to use and spend more time searching for ideas than just getting on with it.

I find that getting through a group of Knights is quite relaxing, just take some acid put on pink floyd and let the brush do all the work. (Last part of course is a joke and I do not endorse this idea whatsoever).

yes, you're right, there are much better albums to put on than that :D

Duke Ramulots
12-12-2011, 18:50
Bretonnians are not so bad if you are like I am and absolutely hate block painting rank and file. I find that getting through a group of Knights is quite relaxing, just take some acid put on pink floyd and let the brush do all the work. (Last part of course is a joke and I do not endorse this idea whatsoever).

I prefer rollin on E with "Across the Universe" playing, but hey thats just me.

sigur
12-12-2011, 19:21
I think that any army can be painted quickly really but the results will vary of course. :D That said, I think that you'll get smaller armies done more quickly than "horde" armies of course even if at first glance they will look easier or quicker to paint. Warrior-heavy WoC I would say are rather quick to paint.

I'm not that convinced that Ogres are a too good choice for that. They are few models but they are large and have large portions of rather skin which can't easily be made to look good by just quickly drybrushing and washing or something like that.

vorthrax
12-12-2011, 20:37
For easy and fast, my vote has to go to Lizardmen. I have not actually painted them myself, but I do paint quite a lot and Lizardmen seem like they'd be fairly easy.

Painting
If you stuck to a one or two-color scheme for their hides as the majority of most of the Lizardmen models' surfaces are comprised of the hide. Lizardmen also tend to be very textured which lends itself well to dipping, washes, and/or drybrushing - the fastest painting techniques there are.

Model Count
On top of that, Lizardmen armies tend to have a relatively low to middle-of-the-road model count compared to some other armies. Fewer models to paint means a finished army faster.

To top it all off, Lizardmen are (in my opinion anyway) a top-three tier army. How can you go wrong?

popisdead
12-12-2011, 23:21
Beastmen it's mostly skin.

And fur which is permissible to drybrush!

Luigi
14-12-2011, 05:29
I knew a guy who used to pain his skaven's whole units, in less than 30 minutes. He would just deep an arm in Yellow the other in red the body in green the tail in purple etc. then when ll the pieces where dry he would assemble the various models and ta-dan his 'enemy on acids' army was ready.

Lorcryst
14-12-2011, 14:05
Well, I'm not a good painter, and I carefully choose paint schemes that I can duplicate easily ...

But still, my "most easy" award goes to Night Goblins (spray black, drybrush the robes, green on the faces/hands, details [eyes and the like], done) or my Chaos Warriors (spray black, paint silver, wash with Badab Black, details in gold, done).

I think that every army (except Brets, perhaps) can be easy to paint if you can manage a "simple" colour scheme ... and even Brets can do a "crusade" army with a simple split colour scheme of red and white (for example).

march10k
14-12-2011, 17:20
All of the Chaos ones are easy. With WoC, it's mostly armor, DoC and Beastmen it's mostly skin.

As long as it's not human/elf/dwarf skin, I guess it's easy. Making my half-naked savages (marauders) look decent is giving me fits...I could paint five warriors in the time it takes to paint one marauder!

Anyway, my choice for easy would be skaven. bascoat, ink, drybrush, then pick out the weapons and claws.

I do agree that empire is painful. each model is more than half cloth that needs to be two different faded/grimy/dull colors (talking about staties, here, not knights and such), lots of wood (even harder than flesh if you want it to look right), and the hated exposed flesh.

And TK are a pain, IMO, if you want to give justice to everything else than the bones, if you like, you can check out my painting log. I am fast with the bones, but the rest....

So true...bones make up 70% of the surface area and take 10% of the time...just look at the shields...you have the face in one color, the rim in another, the decorations on the face, the nailheads in the rim, the handle on the back, and the back itself (wood, blech!). Mine have white faces with gold rims and red decorations...boltgun metal handles, and turquoise nailheads...painting a hundred of those nearly ended me, but the result (two proper hordes) is absolutely awesome on the tabletop. Add in the weapons (ugh...wooden axe handles), which should be bronze for the Khopeshes, chainmail for the more conventional swords and the axe heads. Oh, and they wear a mix of rags and jewelery, and there is an option for helmeted heads...the idea that "it's easy and fast because it's all bone" is a fallacy if you want the models to look nice. To be sure, it's easier than painting living models, but by no means are you getting good quality at a rate of 50 models a minute!

Kisanis
15-12-2011, 08:16
I think the following can be good for rank and file batch painting:
Empire, Bret Infantry, Orcs & Gobbos, WoC, High Elves

As has been mentioned already. Pick out 3-4 colours, and paint on over either black or white primer. (1-2 main colours, boltgun metal for steel/metal stuff, a wood brown/leather brown)

Wash the whole thing with Devlan mud (or another wash) Give it a VERY VERY VERY light drybrush of Bleached bone to bring up highlights and you're done.

If you want a quick paintjob, this works for just about every army's rank and file troops.

Crovax20
15-12-2011, 08:23
So true...bones make up 70% of the surface area and take 10% of the time...just look at the shields...you have the face in one color, the rim in another, the decorations on the face, the nailheads in the rim, the handle on the back, and the back itself (wood, blech!). Mine have white faces with gold rims and red decorations...boltgun metal handles, and turquoise nailheads...painting a hundred of those nearly ended me, but the result (two proper hordes) is absolutely awesome on the tabletop. Add in the weapons (ugh...wooden axe handles), which should be bronze for the Khopeshes, chainmail for the more conventional swords and the axe heads. Oh, and they wear a mix of rags and jewelery, and there is an option for helmeted heads...the idea that "it's easy and fast because it's all bone" is a fallacy if you want the models to look nice. To be sure, it's easier than painting living models, but by no means are you getting good quality at a rate of 50 models a minute!

Pretty easy tricks for it though, the face of the shield is just a flat area and easy peasy. The detailing takes slightly more work, I agree, but on the bog standard skeleton you gain so much time with the drybrush! Also you have to remember you will have units of 40 skeletons, a lot of things simply won't ever get noticed. The back of the shield for example don't need that much work, nobody will see that! Weapons you can just do boltgun metal followed by gryphonne sepia wash... omg it looks bronze! Follow that with some additional boltgun/chainmail, highlight.

I haven't started painting any of my tomb guard or statuary creatures, but the skeletons up till now haven't been a big pain. I'd say they are more time consuming than night goblins though, but nowhere near the excruciating pain of empire state troops.

Spiney Norman
15-12-2011, 10:28

TK shields aren't as difficult as you think

1. undercoat black
2. Basecoat gold details on face & rim tin bitz
3. Drybrush gold details with dwarf bronze, shining gold and finally burnished gold.
4. Paint the face mechrite red
5. Paint the wooden back Khemri brown
6. wash the entire shield in Devlan mud
7. If desired add a second colour to the front detail (generally for TG/NK shields only), I use deneb stone followed by a gryphonne sepia wash.
8. Attach to model.

Bronze is also very easy, base coat in Tin bits, drybrush with dwarf bronze and wash with a 50:50 mix of devlan mud and thraka green.

I admit I'm a little lazy with my wood, I basecoat with scorched brown and paint grain with either dark flesh/terracotta or graveyard/commando khaki depending on what colour I'm going for.

vinush
15-12-2011, 21:56
My Empire aren't too bad to paint. For the uniforms I paint block colours and then Badab Black wash it all to get the shading and lighting done. Works a charm.

THE \/ince

march10k
16-12-2011, 06:46
Q
Pretty easy tricks for it though, the face of the shield is just a flat area and easy peasy. The detailing takes slightly more work, I agree, but on the bog standard skeleton you gain so much time with the drybrush! Also you have to remember you will have units of 40 skeletons, a lot of things simply won't ever get noticed. The back of the shield for example don't need that much work, nobody will see that! Weapons you can just do boltgun metal followed by gryphonne sepia wash... omg it looks bronze! Follow that with some additional boltgun/chainmail, highlight.

I haven't started painting any of my tomb guard or statuary creatures, but the skeletons up till now haven't been a big pain. I'd say they are more time consuming than night goblins though, but nowhere near the excruciating pain of empire state troops.

Overall, I agree. I'm probably an idiot for painting the backs of the shields, but then you never know which model someone will pick up and examine. Seeing him notice the attention to detail and then pick upAanother model to make sure the first one was representative is its own reward. Oh and making white the primary color of my shields is self inflicted pain, I know. One point of contention, thought. Sepia over boltgun doesn't make good bronze!

As for empire, I guess I'm not taking enough short cuts, because my staties are a pita and IMHO they look a metric butt ton better than the results that I imagine would come from some of the quick methods described in this thread. I would put decent looking empire on the opposite end of the spectrum from this thread's topic.

As for the animated statuary in TK, if you want it to look like stone, it's a pain! My sphinx, busting out every trick in the book to speed things up without ending up with a crappy product, took two weeks!

Crovax20
16-12-2011, 10:13
Well i'll have to admit its not real bronze, but it does add the brownish glow to the metal. I only have used it for my archer champions blade, and thought it looked good enough on that. Other option I'm still contemplating is tinbitz with dwarf bronze drybrushes. Not sure yet.

Kaiserdean
16-12-2011, 15:48
I find that Demons are fairly easy to paint, even with a little gradient added to their skin tone. WoC as well.

Dwarfs are still my favorite to paint though. Making their noses a little redder and shading beards never gets old.