PDA

View Full Version : New WoC player, looking for help for 2250pts

FunkyRatDemon
11-12-2011, 22:38
Hello,
I've been a long time Dark Elves player, but opt'd for a more CC-oriented force. Always been a big Slaanesh fan (Play Emperor's Children in 40k and Slaanesh themed DE), but since I play so much 40k I love Magic-heavy armies. I have most of this owned already and even painted up, just little experience playing with them.

2250pts
Lords-370pts-16.66%
Heroes-330pts-14.66%
Core-690pts-30.66%
Special-500pts-22.22%
Rare-355pts-15.77%
5pts left

LORDS-375
Slagethor, Sorcerer Lord 375
Level 4, Mark of Tzeentc, Disc of Tzeentch, Infernal Puppet, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Charmed Shield (Rulebook)

HEROES-330
Quieshell, Sorcerer 140
Level 2, Mark of Slaanesh, Spell Familiar

Blokrateare, Exalted Hero 190
Mark of Tzeentch, Battle Standard Bearer, Blasted Standard, Shield

CORE-690
Chaos Warriors x20 380
Mark of Tzeentch, Shields x 20, Musician, Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame (Rulebook)

Chaos Marauders x35- 250
Mark of Tzeentch, Shields x35, Light Armour x35, Musician, Standard Bearer, Marauder Chieftan

Chaos Warhounds x5 - 30

Chaos Warhounds x5 - 30

SPECIAL-500
Chosen x20 500
Mark of Tzeentch, Shields x 20, Halberds x 20, Musician, Champion, Favour of the Gods, Standard Bearer, War Banner

RARE-355
Chaos Warshrine - 150
Mark of Tzeentch

Hellcannon - 205

I also own a Slaanesh themed Giant, 3 Spawn, 5 Tzeentch Chaos Knights, and a few extra Chaos Warriors.
Not a Nurgle or Khorne fan at all, but would be more then willing to alter this up a bit.
Biggest concern is the Lord/Hero items, and the Chosen layout. The Lv4 must stay on a disc (favorite model in the force) and I really want to run the Lv2 Slaanesh.
Go at it, and preemptive thanks.

byhlli
11-12-2011, 23:39
I'm a relatively new player, as I'm just getting back into WFB after playing a fair bit in 6th Ed. Take what I have to say with a pinch of salt. :)

My comments in blue.

Hello,
I've been a long time Dark Elves player, but opt'd for a more CC-oriented force. Always been a big Slaanesh fan (Play Emperor's Children in 40k and Slaanesh themed DE), but since I play so much 40k I love Magic-heavy armies. I have most of this owned already and even painted up, just little experience playing with them.

2250pts
Lords-370pts-16.66%
Heroes-330pts-14.66%
Core-690pts-30.66%
Special-500pts-22.22%
Rare-355pts-15.77%
5pts left

LORDS-375
Level 4, Mark of Tzeentc, Disc of Tzeentch, Infernal Puppet, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Charmed Shield (Rulebook)

I personally can't see past the Blood of Tzeentch as the first item that gets taken by my magic-users. Infernal puppet in my opinion is definitely useful, but less so than it previously was.

HEROES-330
Quieshell, Sorcerer 140

The Third Eye of Tzeentch is one of the best items to take on a support caster as it allows you access to a myriad of spells by stealing them from your opponent. I would probably also pick up the Power Familiar over the Spell Familiar - since additional Wizards no longer mean additional Power Dice, having one extra die per Magic phase is very useful. Even with a full 12 casting dice, you're unlikely to be able to cast all seven spells you bring to the table. I'd recommend Third Eye of Tzeentch and a Power Familiar on this caster.

Generally speaking, I think it's better to protect your Battle Standard Bearer over taking a magic banner. Because the BSB is such a powerful character in 8th Ed., running him with a 3+ save and no ward save is inviting opponents to snipe him down. Drop the Blasted Standard, pick up a genuine ward save (Talisman of Endurance, perhaps?) and see about making him a bit more survivable.

CORE-690
Chaos Warriors x20 380
Mark of Tzeentch, Shields x 20, Musician, Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame (Rulebook)

This looks like a solid block of troops. With your 3+/5++ in combat you're going to be very difficult to shift. I like it and will be running an almost identical unit in my list.

Chaos Marauders x35- 250
Mark of Tzeentch, Shields x35, Light Armour x35, Musician, Standard Bearer, Marauder Chieftan

By my understanding, light armour is statistically never worth it for Marauders. If you want to spend the points, pick up more Marauders instead. Also, if you're running the Warriors as Tzeentch with the big armour save and the parry ward save, I would suggest turning the Marauders into a Khornate blender unit - drop the shields and the armour and pick up great weapons instead. They'll take some casualties (but then, so will your Tzeentchian Marauders), but when they strike back they'll do it with real venom. Warriors of Chaos are very good at massive damage output. At least one of your units should focus on that over damage mitigation.

Chaos Warhounds x5 - 30

Chaos Warhounds x5 - 30

I kinda regret not fitting Warhounds into my list. I like them. Remember for larger games that they don't count towards your Core points requirement.

SPECIAL-500
Chosen x20 500
Mark of Tzeentch, Shields x 20, Halberds x 20, Musician, Champion, Favour of the Gods, Standard Bearer, War Banner

If you're running the Chosen with halberds, you really want to increase their frontage as much as possible. Running five wide misses out on one model getting into base-to-base and running anything above six risks having models hanging off the edge of a combat. If you drop two Chosen you can run them 6*3, which is probably about ideal. If you're using a magic banner, it's generally accepted that using the Wailing Banner is optimal, since it gives you greater control over your Eye of the Gods roll.

RARE-355
Chaos Warshrine - 150
Mark of Tzeentch

Combined with the Chosen, this makes an exceptionally dangerous killing unit that any opponent will be very hard-pressed to deal with - but remember that you can buff other units if they need it. Also, bear in mind how thoroughly solid the Warshrine is. With T6 and W4 and a 4+/3++ save, you can take quite a beating without breaking. Don't be afraid to put it into combat!

Hellcannon - 205

The Hellcannon, for me, has become almost a must-have for Warriors of Chaos. I'm aiming to take two in every game I can.

I also own a Slaanesh themed Giant, 3 Spawn, 5 Tzeentch Chaos Knights, and a few extra Chaos Warriors.

The Knights would give you a faster element to your army. As you're used to playing Dark Elves, you might be surprised by how slow this army is - all of your units are solid infantry units, but they're going to take some time to close with your opponent.

Not a Nurgle or Khorne fan at all, but would be more then willing to alter this up a bit.

I'm not a huge fan of Nurgle, but Khorne is one of our better Marks, in my opinion. Especially on large units of great weapon-wielding Marauders or blender Warrior units.

Biggest concern is the Lord/Hero items, and the Chosen layout. The Lv4 must stay on a disc (favorite model in the force) and I really want to run the Lv2 Slaanesh.

I've made some comments about your Lord, Heroes and Chosen. As I said, take them with a pinch of salt. In fairness, I haven't suggested any radical changes to the list - it seems you're pretty much on top of your options. Most of what you've got is sound and the list wouldn't have any massive problems as it is.

Go at it, and preemptive thanks.

You're welcome!

zielonkak
12-12-2011, 02:17
List looks good but looks a little defensive for me. I would aim for a more offensive list my self. I would drop the armor and MOT on marauders and make them khorne with GW and beef them up to 40 to 50. For the bsb I agree with kiting him with save and a maybe something that packs a punch. The chosen block I play is 20 with MON to give them the modifiers against them with the frenzy banner with full command and add festus to give them 5 plus regen. That will dish out lots of damage. The chaos warriors are good.

Morax
12-12-2011, 16:13
2250pts
Lords-370pts-16.66%
Heroes-330pts-14.66%
Core-690pts-30.66%
Special-500pts-22.22%
Rare-355pts-15.77%
5pts left

LORDS-375

Pretty close to what I run mine as. This would be him on the cheap with a bit more points invested I would swap the charmed shield for the crimson armor of dargan. His primary concern will be stone throwers and cannon balls. The crimson armor will nagate the ones that sneak through the 3++

HEROES-330
Quieshell, Sorcerer 140

The Lore of Slaanesh is an all or nothing kind of thing. It works wonders if properly supported but in your list it is not. I would swap him to a second Tzeentch caster with the third eye of tzeentch for a support mage to the level 4.

There is only one banner worth taking on a WoC BSB and that is the Doom totem. The rest can be taken on the unit if need be. Falling short of that, defensive kit is the way to go here. Talisman of preservation and a halberd is a great set up for a Tzeentch BSB. High damage output and the 4+/3++ will keep him safe.

CORE-690
Chaos Warriors x20 380

Trying to do too much. Either make them a proper hammer or make them a proper anvil. Hammer units have halberds and either the banner of eternal flame or the banner of rage. Anvil units are set up with shields and the blasted standard or the banner of discipline. Either way works fine.

Chaos Marauders x35- 250

A second anvil unit. You don't really need two in a list this size. I would swap the shields and light armor for 5 more and arm them with flails. You keep your high initiative and are at strength 5 for the first round. Keep the Tzeentch if you want to as the will still be effective with 1 less attack.

Chaos Warhounds x5 - 30

Chaos Warhounds x5 - 30

Usually the best 60 points spent in a list.

SPECIAL-500
Chosen x20 500

If you are going to invest 500 points in something make it the best it can be. The wailing banner works far better then the war banner in a unit like this. You can find the extra points for it by droping one or two of them. 6x3 is a nice setup as is 7x3. You may find the points in other changes too.

RARE-355
Chaos Warshrine - 150
Mark of Tzeentch

Second best inclusion in every list, right behind the war hounds.

Hellcannon - 205

Most people swear by them. I think in this list it is a hinderence. I'd swap it out for a second warshine. Keeps it fluffy, provides a second buff, acts as a second anvil/flanker. This would also free up 65 points for any other changes.

I think your list needs a bit more focus on what it is trying to do. Great starting point and should be fun to play if you are going for light and fun games. If you are looking for a more stream lined list I would suggest the changes I mentioned above.

zielonkak
12-12-2011, 20:11
I pretty much agree with everything says. But I like the marauders with khorne and great weapons a little better

FunkyRatDemon
13-12-2011, 02:03
Thanks everyone, I'll take all these to heart.

I am fine with making a brick of 40ish Marauders with Great Weapons, just need to get the models first.
Just want to make sure though, people are not a fan of Super-Defensive Maruader bricks?

I play lots of Skaven and High Elves, hence my concerns.

Morax
13-12-2011, 12:09
For making marauders with great weapons, take the flail and chop off the chain. Then attach the bladed head of the one handed weapon. Instant great weapon marauders.

zielonkak
13-12-2011, 15:21
Indeed I do that every time

FunkyRatDemon
15-12-2011, 02:02
I have tons of VC Grave Guard Weapons, I'll just chop the Flails into those. A brick of 40 with FC, MoK and GW would be a nice heavy hitter.

Will likely switch the BSB to make him more defensive as mentioned. My idea was to run him in the Chosen, but thats likely not needed.

Wailing Banner seems promising, is it really woth the cost when I can potentially get that with my Chosen and I'm packing a Warshrine too?

Dreadlordpaul
17-12-2011, 12:25
If you want you could have a look at my 2k warriors list FunkyRatdemon as I used it today against a mainly gunline empire army and it won :)

thesheriff
17-12-2011, 17:12
Lol, Slagethor :p

What i would do;

*Drop the warbanner for terror banner (ignoring results 9 and 10 gives you a 100% chance of getting 3++, Stubborn on the Chosen)
*Drop the banner of eternal flame for Blasted Standard on the warriors
*Drop the MOS on the Sorcerer, and just use Lore of Death
*Swap the infernal Puppet and teh Spell familiar on the Sorcerers around

thesheriff

FunkyRatDemon
19-12-2011, 00:01
If you want you could have a look at my 2k warriors list FunkyRatdemon as I used it today against a mainly gunline empire army and it won :)
Can you post a link?

Lol, Slagethor :p

What i would do;

*Drop the warbanner for terror banner (ignoring results 9 and 10 gives you a 100% chance of getting 3++, Stubborn on the Chosen)
*Drop the banner of eternal flame for Blasted Standard on the warriors
*Drop the MOS on the Sorcerer, and just use Lore of Death
*Swap the infernal Puppet and teh Spell familiar on the Sorcerers around

thesheriff
Thanks on this!
Terror banner makes so much sense now that I've read it.

byhlli
19-12-2011, 00:46
Can you post a link?

Thanks on this!

Note that the Wailing Banner DOES NOT give you a 100% chance of getting the 3++/Stubborn roll. It gives you a massively higher chance, but it's still not 100%.

Dreadlordpaul
19-12-2011, 06:52
Can you post a link?

Thanks on this!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327112 there is the link