PDA

View Full Version : Such a simple dumb fundamental question

Rofleupagus
11-12-2011, 23:52
I have only played one game of Warhammer with my other two friends that also have never played GW. I am actually embarrassed to ask this question.....

Can anyone explain (Or point me to the page in the LRB) to me the rules on what happens to the riders when mounts die? (And vise versa).

P.S. I tried the search function and google but I am lacking the right vocabulary to pull it up.

Tarian
12-12-2011, 00:13
Assuming its monstrous, they pretty much fall off, and fight on foot. The monster has to take a monster reaction test.

If they're Horse or similar, they get removed simultaneously.

Spartan601
12-12-2011, 00:17
Hey Rofl. There's no such thing as a dumb question here buddy. Everyone has to start somewhere.

In terms of regular Cavalry and Monstrous Cavalry, they are assumed to have a combined profile to represent both rider and mount. This includes Characters on mounts. Therefore, once the last wound has been removed, they are both removed.

However, some Characters can ride Monstrous Mounts, that have their own profile. In this case, if the Monster is killed, the Character is replaced with a foot version and continues the battle as normal. If the Character is killed, the Monster has to take a Leadership test. If it passes it fights as normal for the rest of the battle. If failed, it must roll on the Monster Reaction table in the Main Rulebook and apply the result.

An important note, some Monstrous Beasts, such as High Elf Eagles and Warriors of Chaos Juggernauts can be used as mounts. In this case, they work just like regular cavalry in that they use a combined profile to represent both.

Hope this helps Rofl.

P.s the page references that might come in handy are pp.82-3 (Cavalry and Monstrous Cavalry) and pp. 105-6 (Characters and Mounts).

Mr_Rose
12-12-2011, 00:38
I have only played one game of Warhammer with my other two friends that also have never played GW. I am actually embarrassed to ask this question.....

Can anyone explain (Or point me to the page in the LRB) to me the rules on what happens to the riders when mounts die? (And vise versa).

P.S. I tried the search function and google but I am lacking the right vocabulary to pull it up.
What sort of mount?
Regular cavalry (horses, giant wolves etc.) and monstrous cavalry (juggernauts of Khorne, Mournfangs etc.) both have a sort of combined profile and no distinction is made between the rider and the mount when working out damage; the whole model is removed once sufficient wounds are caused.
Monster mounts (dragons, manticores etc.) suffer damage independently of their rider and there are if either is killed the other will carry on fighting (except that monsters need to take a reaction test and may go berserk and so on) without its deceased companion.

Cavalry (regular and monstrous) are covered by pp.82-83 of the rulebook and monster mounts for characters are detailed on pp.105-106, but you should also look at p.85 for the general rules on monsters.
In fact you probably ought to read through the entire section on Troop Types, starting on p.80, as it contains a lot of important details of how different kinds of unit interact. Though while you're doing that, you also ought to attend to the FAQ/errata that GW has published for the main rulebook as it modifies the Monstrous Cavalry entry, amongst others.

Rofleupagus
12-12-2011, 21:33
Thanks for the answers that makes sense. I have read the rulebook several times but I am a [fancy word for learning through doing] learner. The combined profile is whoever has the highest stat. if the character has T3 and the mount had T5 you roll to wound vs the T5 correct? For wounds if the mount has 1 and the character has 2 the element has 2 correct?

Bitten Black Sheep
12-12-2011, 22:03
[fancy word for learning through doing] learner.

Kinesthetic :)

Mr_Rose
12-12-2011, 22:12
You always use the rider's toughness for any cavalry but you use the rider's wounds for regular cavalry and the highest wounds value for monstrous cavalry. It's a bit strange, but it works out for the best overall.

Rofleupagus
12-12-2011, 22:21
Kinesthetic :)

Thats the one!:o

Thanks for the replies.