PDA

View Full Version : New ogre, tomb king and skaven ERRATA & FAQ

RanaldLoec
12-12-2011, 09:34
A few questions resolved a few new dumb answers.

Sensible answer we knew anyway.

As we knew slaughter masters and butchers can take magic armour.

Clarification needed for the brain dead.

Tomb kings count as undead. To quote a zombie duuuurrrrrhhhhh

Avian
12-12-2011, 10:07
The Screaming Bell result that makes you "instantly suffer D3 wounds", now allows saves. Not quite as instant as before, then. :D

Spiney Norman
12-12-2011, 11:39
With the TK SC question they so nearly answered a question worth asking, but then they went and spoiled it all by making it only about Special Rules, despite the fact that the answer they provided was dead obvious.

What they should have done is told us whether or not Nekaph can take the Battle standard as thats really the only question concerning SCs in the TK book.

Scalebug
12-12-2011, 12:52
Tomb kings count as undead. To quote a zombie duuuurrrrrhhhhh
Well, it is one of those things that rules-lawyery types would try to take advantage of, even if it was obvious... Would people really mind if they went over all these embarresingly obvious things and give them the same treatment, or would it just generate more internet whining, over it being a waste of time/something that should have been in the book from the start, etc?

With the TK SC question they so nearly answered a question worth asking, but then they went and spoiled it all by making it only about Special Rules, despite the fact that the answer they provided was dead obvious.

What they should have done is told us whether or not Nekaph can take the Battle standard as thats really the only question concerning SCs in the TK book.

I see what you mean, but for what it's worth, they do not capitalize it; it is not as you said "Special Rules", it is "special rules"... They really should consider seeing over that term, clearing up when it is referring to the list in the description of the model, actually named "Special Rules", and when it is just the everyday understanding of the words as in "rules that is just not your basic rules applied to everything..."

The Screaming Bell result that makes you "instantly suffer D3 wounds", now allows saves. Not quite as instant as before, then. :D

Ahh...that egg-carton foam soundproofing used in recording studios on the inside of steam tanks is paying off...

All in all liking the update, the magic armour thing for butchers I would have betted on going the other way, but at least they went with a by-the-letter answer.

And still no updating Empire repeater pistols to 12" range...grumble...:p

Moses
12-12-2011, 13:18
But no mention of the interaction of Hellheart and magic items such as Cupped hands. Is a roll on the miscast table considered a miscast?

Mid'ean
12-12-2011, 13:39
Would have been nice for a clarification of the sniper-multi shot rule. On the rat faq cracks call is now a template allowing a LoS roll is nice. And shooting those bells and furnaces with templates is taken care of.....:evilgrin:

hamsterwheel
12-12-2011, 14:40
Who thinks this entry will impact the whole "magic weapon vs. magical weapon" argument?

From the Skaven FAQ:
Q: Can you take more than one Vermin Lord in an army? If you
can, will they both have a Doom Glaive magic weapon? (p40)
A: Yes to both questions. Whilst you can only opt to take each
magic item once, where it is a standard piece of equipment it
can be duplicated.

Avian
12-12-2011, 16:29
Not me.

[text for the text god]

Artiee
12-12-2011, 16:33
IMO this is messed up.

From the German Orge FAQ:

F: Fleischer und Fleischermeister dürfen eine Eisenfaust erhalten; dürfen
sie auch magische Rüstung tragen? (Seite 32)
A: Ja.
Anmerkung des Designers: Ich muss zugeben, dass ich es übersehen habe, dass
Fleischer und Fleischermeister auch Zugriff auf magische Rüstung haben,
wenn sie eine Eisenfaust erhalten dürfen. Es war nicht meine Absicht, ihnen
Zugriff auf magische Rüstungen zu gewähren, und wir werden das sicher
ändern, wenn wir die nächste Edition von Warhammer: Ogerkönigreiche
schreiben. Nach vielen Diskussionen haben wir uns jedoch dazu entschieden,
dass diese Möglichkeit den Ogern keinen unfairen Vorteil bietet, deshalb
belassen wir die Regeln erst einmal so wie sie sind. Persönlich würde ich dir
allerdings raten, deinen Fleischern und Fleischermeistern keine magischen
Rüstungen zu geben; es mag zwar nicht gegen die Regeln sein, doch es
entspricht sicher nicht dem Geist der Regeln.
Jervis Johnson, 07.12.2011

Roughly translated using google.

Q: butchers and butchers may obtain an iron fist, may
They also wear magical armor? (Page 32)
A: Yes.

Designer's Note: I must admit that I overlooked the fact that
Butchers and butchers also have access to magical armor,
if they can get an iron fist. It was not my intention to them
To grant access to magical armor, and we will certainly
, if we change the next edition of Warhammer Ogre Kingdoms
. Write After much discussion, however, we have decided to
the possibility that these ogres provides an unfair advantage, so
Once we leave the rules as they are. Personally, I would you
however, advise your butchers and meat masters no magic
Give armor, it may not be against the rules, but it
certainly does not correspond to the spirit of the rules.
Jervis Johnson, 12/07/2011

Lord Inquisitor
12-12-2011, 16:39
It's been pasted into the English one too now. Yes, you can use magic armour but it's naughty.

madden
12-12-2011, 18:17
So! I'm going to do it anyway. Then people can call cheese on ogres which I find novel, instead of them saying easy win/target practice.

hamsterwheel
12-12-2011, 18:18
It would have been easier for them to have just made the answer to the Question, No concerning the use of magic armor on the butchers. It's not like GW hasn't made contradictory answers before in the FAQ.

T10
12-12-2011, 18:36
Who thinks this entry will impact the whole "magic weapon vs. magical weapon" argument?

From the Skaven FAQ:
can be duplicated.

"Magic items are considered to be unique - you can only have more than one of each in your army unless otherwise stated in the magic item's rules." (Magic Items - Unique, p.172)

This FAQ entry breaks that rule. All they needed to do was to make an amendment to the Doom Glaive and it would conform: "Each Verminlord model has this magic item. In this way you can have more than one in your army."

If the FAQ is to be taken as a ruling, you are now allowed to take common and army-specific items for your custom-built characters in addition to those same items taken by special characters: Since the Emperor Karl Franz and Kurt Helborg both have the Runefang as a standard piece of equipment it can be duplicated.

Oh, it was only supposed to be duplicated among the characters that has the item as a standard piece of equipment? That's not what the FAQ says.

The FAQ also fails to place a limit on how many times you may duplicate the item. Is it open season here? How many Swords of Justice can you take if you first take Ludwig Swarzhelm?

Pseesch!

Lord Inquisitor
12-12-2011, 18:52
Well, multiple Runefangs are entirely reasonable. After all, Karl Franz and Kurt Helborg do actually both have Runefangs. Certainly from this it makes sense that you could have both in the same army. Gets a bit stickier when we're talking about generic items you can buy.

Are there any other special characters that have generic items? Vampires can I think. More than one Carstein ring doesn't make a lot of sense!

T10
12-12-2011, 19:50
Kurt has the Laurels of Victory, Ludwig has the Sword of Justice. That appears to be it for the Empire.

sulla
12-12-2011, 19:52
Shadowblade's potion of strength and the normal DE one. Kouran's crimson death and 'the other one' dreadlords always used to take?

Shadowfane
12-12-2011, 21:14
Eh, its mostly about the skaven really - after all, multiple warlock engineers can have Warlock-Enhanced Weapons, and multiple Gutter Runner champions can have Weeping Blades, and it doesnt stop you from still giving a character one, because those models have them as basic, standard options.

SanDiegoSurrealist
12-12-2011, 21:44
But no mention of the interaction of Hellheart and magic items such as Cupped hands. Is a roll on the miscast table considered a miscast?

At my local we play Cupped Hands and Thrown of Vines can nullify the effectiveness of Hell heart.

But not all rolls on the miscast table are considered a miscast, you can not Cupped Hands a Cupped Hands back, because it states the target recieves the "effects of the miscast" not the miscast itself.

H33D
12-12-2011, 22:22
chaos knights all running around with ensorcelled weapons
thorek and thorgrim both taking the master rune of gromril so i cant put it on my bsb when i field them

geldedgoat
13-12-2011, 17:26

From the Skaven FAQ:
can be duplicated.

It should, but it probably won't. *looks up* Yep.

T10
13-12-2011, 18:59
It should, but it probably won't. *looks up* Yep.

I think you are confusing the issue. The complaints I've raised regarding the FAQ has to do with duplicating magic items and has NOTHING to do with the "magic" vs. "magical" debate.

AMWOOD co
13-12-2011, 19:08
Here's something that might set a precident (and maintains with something my gaming group decided upon years ago).

Q: When do you reveal what special rules a unit ofManeaters has
picked for their Been There, Done That special rule?
A:When you deploy them.

What precident? That only magic items and things paid for from your magic item allotment are kept hidden in a closed list match.

T10
13-12-2011, 19:40
I don't see it.

You get to hide your Maneaters' Scout ability until late in the deployment sequence (it's a bit of a give-away if you haven't deployed them before your characters...), but that's about it.

decker_cky
14-12-2011, 01:57
I don't see it.

You get to hide your Maneaters' Scout ability until late in the deployment sequence (it's a bit of a give-away if you haven't deployed them before your characters...), but that's about it.

I guess if you just always delay the deployment of maneaters until most of your units are down, opponents will face the risk of scouting maneaters whether you took it or not. Aside from that, no real advantage.

Lord Inquisitor
14-12-2011, 02:23
Placing them early up front can also influence the enemy's depoyment in case they has sniper. I find that sniper maneaters can really cause opponents to place their characters quite out of position, now you can keep it a secret whether they actually have sniper.

AMWOOD co
14-12-2011, 04:06
It's more the issue of whether you can hide an ability until it is first used if the ability is selected from a list. A unit of maneaters has... what, 10 rules to choose from? If they don't have to reveal it until it is valid, that can cause either over caution (sometimes good) or carelessness (almost always bad).

I found that it's Swiftstride Maneaters that I have to watch out for now. They are a real pain. To explain why, let me just ask this... how often does Swiftstride roll at least 10 for a charge? Last time it was my Chaos Knights that paid the price.

Lord Inquisitor
14-12-2011, 04:22
I worked it out after the book came out. As I recall it brings the probability up from 1 in 6 to about 1 in 3. However the FAQ is pretty clear you have to reveal after deployment, don't you?

AMWOOD co
14-12-2011, 04:41
However the FAQ is pretty clear you have to reveal after deployment, don't you?

That it does, but was that the practice before, and (on the bigger picture) should that ruling now apply to all similar things for all armies? Things like unit upgrades that don't apply to deployment or equiptment (eg. Chaos Marks), special rules bought using points other than the Magic Item allotment (eg. Vampire Powers) or even including it but which are not from items themselves (eg. Big Names). Do you feel this ruling sets a precident that these should be revealed when said unit/character is deployed?

Spiney Norman
14-12-2011, 10:52
Here's something that might set a precident (and maintains with something my gaming group decided upon years ago).

What precident? That only magic items and things paid for from your magic item allotment are kept hidden in a closed list match.

Ummm, no their not, are you telling me you reveal where hidden units like Fanatics, assassins etc are just because they don't come from the MI allowance???

Harwammer
14-12-2011, 13:03
On topic:
"Whilst you can only opt to take each
can be duplicated."
This does make it sound like when a special character has a magic item a single (regular) character may also take it. I'm not sure how this would apply to dwarven Master Runes (as it is the rune combo that makes the magic item, not any of the individual runes). Would the rule (of jealousy?) still apply?

H33D: it is arguable* that ensorcelled weapons aren't relevant to this as they are listed as magical weapons (i.e. weapons with magic attacks?) as opposed to Magic Weapons (a type of magic item)... some say all magic weapons are magical weapons but not all magical weapons are magic weapons (all puppies are dogs but not all dogs are puppies). Others say they are different things entirely (cats vs dogs). Another school suggests they are the same (doggies vs dogs).

AMWOOD co
14-12-2011, 13:08
Ummm, no their not, are you telling me you reveal where hidden units like Fanatics, assassins etc are just because they don't come from the MI allowance???

Those explicitly state they are hidden, so no. I (or my group) do reveal the following, however: Marks of Chaos, Gift of the Dark Gods, Bretonian Vows, Slaan Powers, Vampire Powers... can't think of anything else at the moment that seems relevant, though something may come up. In the past we also revealed Lizardmen spawnings. We talked about Daemon Gifts and, due to the obviously physical nature of some of them (eg Two Heads, Many-armed Monstrosity), agreed that they would also be revealed, but as we don't personally know any daemon players it has never come up.