PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Volans question (may apply to bound spells generally)

theshoveller
12-12-2011, 09:57
I note a few things about the Ring that aren't answered fully in the FAQ.

The ring is used to choose a core rulebook lore and randomly generate a spell from it. Can the player/character then exchange the spell rolled for the signature spell of that lore? I can see how not being able to choose the signature spell would make lore choice a gamble - as useful as Life is, do you want to take the risk of rolling (for the character, probably useless) Throne of Vines?

On a related note, does the ring give the user access to the lore attribute? I don't remember this being directly addressed anywhere, but I can see how it would make sense on a case by case basis (Light spells always do more wounds to daemons for example).

GotrekFan
12-12-2011, 10:18
Not sure about the 1st part, I think you're stuck with what you roll.
2nd part, yes you do benefit from the lore attribute if it applies.

T10
12-12-2011, 11:39
The spell in the bound item will benefit from the associated Lore Attribute as applicable: E.g. a Fireball bound spell from the Lore Fire still counts as a Lore of Fire spell.

-T10

AlphariusOmegon20
13-12-2011, 04:38
It's things like this that cause me to continue to keep a d8 around.

Example, Using the lore of Beasts:

1 - Wissan's
2 - Flock of Doom
3 - Impenetrable Pelt
4 - Amber Spear
5 - Curse
6 - Savage Beast
7 - Transformation
8 - Reroll result

Mr_Rose
13-12-2011, 08:29
Or the cards. Shuffle the chosen lore together and draw a random one.

T10
13-12-2011, 10:03
Surely the Storm of Magic spinner can be used to select from a pool of eight.

theshoveller
13-12-2011, 10:17
Surely the Storm of Magic spinner can be used to select from a pool of eight.
Heh, I have more d8s than I do Storm of Magic spinners. Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'm sure there are any number of fair ways to resolve it, I was checking there wasn't a precedent.