PDA

View Full Version : Counts as Vulkan model?

Techpriest
12-12-2011, 14:13
I am playing a Slamanders Army, until now I have not been using Vulkan. I have the model and it is painted, but to be honest. I am not overly Impressed with the Model. Now taking into count that Vulkan stats and weapons are as follows :

2+ Armor
4+ Invun
Power Spear
Heavy Flamer

Now with these basic stats the character is pretty good. What I am asking is, Would it be a big issue if I made my own model to represent this, and if I do, How much of an issue would it be if I Made it a Terminator Model?

a 2+ armor and a 4+ Invun is slightly better then Terminator Armor, but still is very reasonable. I would use the Heavy Flamer Arm for the Heavy Flamer, and I would make a Custom Power Weapon.. The ONLY difference would be the base size.

Please let me know what you think.....

bildo
12-12-2011, 14:20
its ment to be on a 25mm base, thats the important part

PapaDoc
12-12-2011, 14:20
The thing is it can confuse opponents. Terminators are not able to sweeping advance. I think it has to be a guy in powerarmour.

Techpriest
12-12-2011, 14:23
Ok so if the issue is the base size, what if I were to put it on a 25mm base and just do a decent basing job?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
12-12-2011, 14:28
Vulkan has a 3+ Invulnerable IRRC. So I'd suggest a Storm Shield on whatever model you'd use.

It has to be on a 25mm base otherwise it's against the rules, and Terminators don't fit very well on the small bases. So I'd get a nice Power Armour model, model on a fancy Power Spear in one hand and a Flamer like weapon with a Storm Shield on the back of the arm in the other. Should look quite nice, I'd actually suggest the Company Champion from the Command Squad box, he has equipment pretty similar to the above.

Scalebug
12-12-2011, 14:28
Not a question for the internet, it's one for the people you are actually going to play against who has to answer it...

You are never going to get anything other than "Go for it! It's your models! Screw GW and WYSIWYG! Anyone complaining is not worth playing, stuff 'em!" here, and it's not going to help you one bit when you end up in a tournament and some sneak points out your model is incorrect, and the umpires rule by the lettin in their favour.

The base size shouldn't be that much of a problem, you should with a bit of creativity of a scenic base be able to get it down to a 25mm (overhanging slate, plastic ruins, etc), and the only possible scenario I see with the faux-terminator armour is if things like sweeping advance is still a factor? (Playing very little 40K, and have not seen terminators of any flavour on the table for a while in the games I do play). Non-terminator armour wearing Vulcan would be able to do it, but your model would not look like it could, leading to one of those possible "Wait, what? I thought the was a terminator and wouldn't be able to do that" situations.

Edit: Customer came in and I didn't post what I had written before a number of others had done so. Always good to be proven wrong by people not actually posting what I had predicted. Must be less cynical... :p

daveNYC
12-12-2011, 15:24
I'd almost say that as long as it's on the right sized base, and it's done up all fancy, then the specifics aren't quite as important. It's a metal model that's pricy and you need to special order the thing from GW. As long as you make in purty, give it a honking big weapon, and make clear what the model stands for, I (personally) wouldn't be too picky.

I'm pretty iffy on the specifics of WYSIWYG, but isn't it focused on making sure that models show the custom wargear? So a SC that has no wargear options would have more flexibility in what you actually model him as. Within reason, of course.

KarlPedder
12-12-2011, 15:31
Somebody puts down a converted Terminator model and the model is unique enough from any other Termintator model that I can easily pick it out and says "Is it alright if this counts as Vulkan?" So long as it's on a 25mm base I'm going to shrug and go "hey it just makes it easier for me to get LOS to you so sure"

Morax
12-12-2011, 20:34
Somebody puts down a converted Terminator model and the model is unique enough from any other Termintator model that I can easily pick it out and says "Is it alright if this counts as Vulkan?" So long as it's on a 25mm base I'm going to shrug and go "hey it just makes it easier for me to get LOS to you so sure"

+1

Personally I like : http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/LUGFT-HURON-CHAPTER-MASTER-OF-THE-ASTRAL-CLAWS.html

As a counts as Vulkan.
Flamer? Check
Armor that looks like 2+? Check
Power weapon that looks cool? Check
Invo save? Check (note the iron halo)

Sure he is a little too big but that just helps my opponent. Trim the rock down a bit and he'll fit on a 25mm. :)

Techpriest
12-12-2011, 20:40
I love that model as well. Unfortunately I do not have the money to order from Forge World to get him.

Morax
12-12-2011, 21:34
In that case my I suggest a grey knight model.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1140004&prodId=prod1160009a
The GK with the sword through the plaguebearer head works well for a relic blade. Weapon swap the storm bolter for a flamer, swap the shoulder pads and rig up an iron halo for the invo save and you are set. I'd even use one of the awesome helms for the added effect of seperating him from the norm. Any extra bits that fit onto the model would work well.

Pooky
12-12-2011, 22:01
Please let me know what you think.....

I agree with you that the model is not that impressive. It looks far too busy. And the flamer in his gauntlet looks weird.

Blink
12-12-2011, 23:13
I think kitbashing would be great for Vulkan. Take that cape off either Trazyn or The Stormlord (The Necron HQ special characters) to use as his Adamantine Cape, then use a character in Artifice armor, a thunder hammer... You can even use Coteaz to start you off.

tezza21
12-12-2011, 23:36
I personaly like the vulkan mini and he isint that expencive compaired to the failcast minis out atm eg the termie librarian .

ehlijen
13-12-2011, 02:33
I would not recommend using a terminator model to represent a power armour model. At least not the complete set of armour. Power armour models can sweeping advance and ride in transports terminators can't enter. Using a terminator model implies all those drawbacks and opponents might feel cheated if you suddenly do these things they didn't think the model could.

Using parts of a terminator set to beef up a power armour suit could work well though. I made a conversion using Cpt Sammaels upper half on a set of terminator legs with a greenstuff tabard and he looks tougher and bigger than a normal marine withou actually looking like a terminator.

tezza21
13-12-2011, 09:30
Or you could use some of the sanguinary guard armour looks very baroque and with a little green stuff work could make a nice convertion

Techpriest
13-12-2011, 13:26
Ok so general consensus is scratch the Terminator Idea, so with taking that into consideration, Here is my next Idea for the counts as.

Using the Techmarine fincast model, but NOT using the servo Harness. Attaching an underarm Heavy flamer and keeping the large Axe power Weapon. Working on a Cloack of some kind ((Possible Necron Cloak)) And attaching a decked out backpack?

It would be a tough bulky model, with a lot of tech flare. To represent a Forgefather. All weapons and gear would be accounted for and still be on a custom 25 mm base....

NixonAsADaemonPrince
13-12-2011, 14:40
Sounds like a brilliant conversion using the Techmarine, definitely go for it. Good luck with the project.

angelofrage
13-12-2011, 14:44
+1

Personally I like : http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/LUGFT-HURON-CHAPTER-MASTER-OF-THE-ASTRAL-CLAWS.html

As a counts as Vulkan.
Flamer? Check
Armor that looks like 2+? Check
Power weapon that looks cool? Check
Invo save? Check (note the iron halo)

Sure he is a little too big but that just helps my opponent. Trim the rock down a bit and he'll fit on a 25mm. :)

This. I've used Huron as Vulkan in a few games (cheaper and better rules than Huron himself). He leads a TH/SS terminator squad in my army and so is restricted by the other terminators to take those rules into account. He is on a terminator base, but my regular opponent is fine with me using him that way.

It all depends on the people you play against though.

Arhalius
13-12-2011, 15:05
Got my own version of Vulkan, i will post pics here later if i have time.

He is made from the commander kit, Grey Knight Kit,a forgeworld mk2 helm and a flamer from the tactical box. And also a Roman Plume from anvil.
Left arm has an underslung flamer on the forearm, its only the end of the flamer the stock is cut off. Relic blade is the huge sword from the gk kit.

Techpriest
13-12-2011, 15:14
I would love to see some pics, especially of how you did the flamer!

krysis
13-01-2012, 18:23
I made my counts as Vulkan by using bits from grey knights, the command squad box and the commander box. I think there are some WFB bits hacked apart in there too. Still have some work to do on him. Need to make him more heroic I think.

carldooley
13-01-2012, 18:40
when it comes to counts as, I have never had any problems. I got Colonel Schaeffer's Last Chancers and I use them to portray my commander, Straken, Marbo, and Harker.

daismith906
15-01-2012, 11:56
Heres my "counts as Vulkan" for my Silver Skulls army

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5180/006ls.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/006ls.jpg/)

AlphariusOmegon20
15-01-2012, 16:24
if you're going to Kitbash, may I suggest getting:

Chronus ( for the armor look)
left hand space marine assault arm
Grey Knight halberd
right hand power fist
Xavier's old backpack

Cut the left arm as flush as you can and replace with space marine arm and pin halberd in hand. Model small Heavy Flamer nozzles on back of power fist.

and go from there. It doesn't look that bad and fits on a 25mm base.

sprugly
15-01-2012, 16:26
Do it, and unless you plan to play tournaments or strangers don't worry too much about base size.

Here's my version for my scarlet dragons chapter.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x62/sprugly/100_0663.jpg

Sprugly