PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid, CC or shooty??

Shack
12-12-2011, 16:31
Fairlly new to 40k and i bet this question gets asked alot but in a general scenario without going over the top with details, are tyranids worth making full shooty or stick will 99% CC? Think of a 1000pt build facing just basic enemies ( as in newbs not pros ). Any feedback would be sweet

Corvus Corone
12-12-2011, 16:37
Tyranids have to be a finely tuned balancing act in order to stand a chance of working competitively at the moment.

Firstly, play with the models you want. If you're just out for fun, then you'll have no worries. Like shooty models? Go for it! Like close combat models? Why not!

If you want to play with a more competitive edge, then certain options become more important and other options become impossible, and you'll have to bring both shooty and choppy to the table.

Vaktathi
12-12-2011, 16:46
Fairlly new to 40k and i bet this question gets asked alot but in a general scenario without going over the top with details, are tyranids worth making full shooty or stick will 99% CC? Think of a 1000pt build facing just basic enemies ( as in newbs not pros ). Any feedback would be sweetTyranids have never really been a "full shooty" army, you aren't ever going to win games with Tyranids through blistering firepower, as most armies are going to more than match you on that account. That said, it's also not 99% CC, shooting still has a place and plays a role, it's just that generally be supporting your CC units to enable them to destroy the enemy rather than shooting being the primary method of destroying an opponents army.

Vampiric16
12-12-2011, 17:40
Tyranids are no slouches in the shooting phase, though not to the extent they were last edition (S6 blast deathspitter warriors anyone?). So it is feasible to play a shooty force and perform fairly well at a friendly game level, since most of the larger gribblies can still pack a punch in combat even when tooled out with dakka.
A pure combat force can be very fun, and adds a very different dynamic to a game where everybody and their mother has a gun. I'm currently adding a few models to my collection to field such a force (yup, even at 4000+pts worth of models I can still find stuff to buy).
Of course, it's really down to you. Pick the models you like, the theme you want, and go with it.

Vipoid
12-12-2011, 19:17
Fairlly new to 40k and i bet this question gets asked alot but in a general scenario without going over the top with details, are tyranids worth making full shooty or stick will 99% CC? Think of a 1000pt build facing just basic enemies ( as in newbs not pros ). Any feedback would be sweet

A fully shooty Tyranid army could certainly be interesting.

My suggestion would be to base your army around some large units of devilgants, backed up with tervigons and possibly a squad of venomthropes. Hive Guard will fit in perfectly, as will Zoans and The Doom.

Other than that, it really depends on how competative you want your army to be, and what you class as 'fully shooty' (several units have guns, but are primarily assault units).

Warriors with deathspitters can hold their own in combat better than some, but put out very few shots compared to devilgants. Biovores and harpies might be useful, as might carnifexes with 2x devourers. However, they will also depend somewhat on what armies you regularly face. You could even try 9 rippers with spinefists. Probably not effective, but 36 TL shots could be fun. :p

Bonzai
12-12-2011, 23:59
I've been playing with the following 1850 list.

HQ
Tyrant w/ old adversary, LW, BS
3 Tyrant Guard w/ BS

Elites
2 Hive Guard
2 Hive Guard
2 Hive Guard

Troops
Tervigon w/ Catalyst, TS, AG
Tervigon w/ Catalyst, TS, AG
20 Termagaunts w/ devourers
20 Termagaunts w/ Devourers

Fast Attack
Harpy w/ TL HVC
Harpy w/ TL HVC

Total: 1845

My list did ok. If you took SW's out of the equasion I went roughly 50/50. Long Fang spam did eat my lunch though. I haven't played it since DE and GK's have come out. I will probably start playing it again once I get my Venothropes painted (adding 3 to make a 2k list). Like most Nid lists, it's important to keep things together and hit your opponent all at once. Here is a break down of my unit choices.

Devourer Guants: These are the work horses of the list. 20 devourer gaunts will wipe out 5 marines in one round of shooting. They are fragile, but with a Tervigon giving them FnP, and supplying screen units of gaunts to prevent assault, they hold up for a while.

Tervigons: They really bring the list together. They keep the important stuff alive longer, and provide bubble wrap and objective sitters (and can sit on objectives as well).

Hive Guard: There to pop transports and vehicles. Once that is done, they kind of lose their effectiveness, but are still ok.

Harpies: People question them, but I like them. They provide some turn 1 anti tank. Even if it shakes or stuns something scary it has value as your stuff moves up. Even though it is -1 against closed top vehicles, it is still S9 and decent at getting penatrating hits. Harpies are fairly flexible and their roles shift over the course of a game. First couple turns they help with anti-tank. Then they drop templates on infantry. Then during the end game they counter assault and contest objectives, taking advantage of their assault grenades, multiple wounds, and T5 to survive and slowly whittle down the opponent. They have been fairly consistant for me, but I'll add one caveat. I have modeled mine to fit on a normal flying base. I have since heard that they will be on a vendetta base, which will seriously change their ability to get cover saves, and will change their survivability.

Tyrant & Guard: CC death star unit. Good for counter assault, synapse, and wiping out whatever it comes across. Only thing that I can't for the life of me kill, is a fully kitted Thunder Wolf calvary... especially after they get nailed by the Long fangs on the way.