PDA

View Full Version : Still enjoying dreadfleet?

Johnmclane
12-12-2011, 23:15
Bought the dreadfleet game, but completly swamped with work, family etc, so painted the set but havent even read the rules.

So after some time, is it a fun game :)?

Confessor_Atol
12-12-2011, 23:17
I've had three games so far. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

The bearded one
12-12-2011, 23:19
Bought the dreadfleet game, but completly swamped with work, family etc, so painted the set but havent even read the rules.

So after some time, is it a fun game :)?

I'm not even done painting yet :D

but I'm still enjoying it :)

ModelCalamity
12-12-2011, 23:25
Yes :)

It's just good fun

Tarliyn
13-12-2011, 02:39
Not done painting it but I have played a few scenarios. Really fun

We had 3 people for some too so works beyond just a simple 2 man formula

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urgat
13-12-2011, 07:00
Same as Tarliyin, not done painting but the couple games I've had have been fun.

Jind_Singh
13-12-2011, 07:41
We went Dreadfleet MAD when the new GW opened last month - had people lined up three deep to play - we all had so much fun they are running a special campaign in Jan - based on an 'Orcapelago' (Instead of archipelago!) and have special terrain made up for it!

The actual game has been a blast - one or two WTF moments caused by funny rules (Like the mechanic for escaping from jepardy and the ghost ship argument that strafing and 1st shot of the game allows the bonus to hit it on better than 6+), but overall a roaring success - so much so they keep ordering 2 copies and sell them out all the time and have to order 2 more!!

So locally a success for sure!

Surgency
13-12-2011, 07:48
Hmm. The LGS owner here ordered 16 copies in anticipation of the Dreadfleet craze, and was only able to sell 2. Though this is partially due to the popularity of Uncharted Seas. Perhaps I'll get a copy and paint it up for everyone to see

Daemonia
13-12-2011, 09:16
Played it a few times and it's a fun little game to kill some time with as opposed to regular Fantasy or 40k. It gets used as a matter of "gotta wait for my match" most of the time and is exemplary in that function. I like it.

Jind_Singh
13-12-2011, 11:10
Hmm. The LGS owner here ordered 16 copies in anticipation of the Dreadfleet craze, and was only able to sell 2. Though this is partially due to the popularity of Uncharted Seas. Perhaps I'll get a copy and paint it up for everyone to see

THIS is the thing...

With Space Hulk it was an established game from eons ago so had a lot of 'oh wow, it's back' reaction.
It had tons of useable 40k models that appealed to collectors.
It actually had squares on the board so is instantly recognizable as a board game.

Dreadfleet is just a big fat unknown! The models work just for Dreadfleet, no use outside the game.
It's still essentially looking like a table top wargame as it's got a sea scape, the ships move using movement rulers/arcs.
The game mechanics are unknown, mixing dice with a card system for damage, events, etc.

So with all this stacked against it - the ONLY way it's going to sell was the way any normal GW product sells - by demoing the crap out of it!

Demo, demo, demo - it's why it made a splash (pun intended!) in the local store a month ago when our GW reopened, and why we still play it like mad.

Once you get a taste of the game it's easy to see it's value, the fun factor, the game factor - and makes buying it much easier to contemplate.

When it's not known it's not going to take off - and honestly speaking, how many hobby folk here got into their respective game AFTER a demo or two of 40k, Warhammer (insert game here!) vs a game they knew nothing about?

Here was the partial failure on GWs part - they expected it to sell like a board game, but it's too close to their core games in terms of mystery before the first demo!

NO WONDER local retailers are having issues shifting it! The product was destined to be in-store success versus a general release.

BUT THIS IS JUST AN OPINION based on what I've seen about the game, and with my personal experiences with GW products!

Urgat
13-12-2011, 12:25
Yeah, it does feel like, more than DF not being shown interest from the customers, it's more of a matter of the local staffers not really caring about it, around here. You see, they can't play the never ending 40k games if they are to use a table for DF :rolleyes:

Sh4d0w
14-12-2011, 08:59
Haha the thing is our local GW store runs weekly dreadfleet nights, me and my mate join it for pure fun, the thing is tho they wonder why nobody buys it, haven't sold a single shelf copy yet haha. Here in Australia it's $190, that is ALOT of money to pay for it. But yeah i agree with Jind it can't be used in any other system so they need to demo the hell out of it, unfortunately for them it actually get's rather repetitive after a while so....yeah $190 whats all thay about >.>

The bearded one
14-12-2011, 12:27
so....yeah $190 whats all thay about >.>

that's GW's Australia pricing policy for ya. I think they would've sold a handful of copies if they sold at the normal price (which is 110 or so?).

Spiney Norman
14-12-2011, 12:39
I still don't have my copy yet, fortunately I whined about not being able to afford it loudly enough to be assured of getting it a week on sunday ;)

Looking forward to giving it a whirl, the models are certainly damn pretty

Leth Shyish'phak
14-12-2011, 16:55
My friend bought a copy when it came out, despite our local GW selling out of all but one box, we seem to be the only ones playing it. No one else even talks about it. :confused: But that said, its a great game. We've played through all of the scenarios, with me being the dread fleet and now I think we're going to go through them again, me being alliance this time.

Looking forward to not having to endure 5 minutes of boredom while he manoeuvres his stupid elf ship. :evilgrin:

The bearded one
15-12-2011, 00:40
My friend bought a copy when it came out, despite our local GW selling out of all but one box, we seem to be the only ones playing it. No one else even talks about it. :confused:

I don't recall anyone talking or playing Space Hulk in-store after release either, but that game is great :)

Campaigner
15-12-2011, 13:29
In my local store they got some copies but we haven't played it yet....No one have brought it to the shop yet....gotta talk to the guys and get them to get it to the store.

Dark Aly
15-12-2011, 15:42
I like my set and have enjoyed the 5 games I've played thoroughly. Not painted much yet (just some islands and the wind gauge.)

MarshalFaust
15-12-2011, 16:52
Just played a few games last night with a friend who is in town for the holidays. Thats what I bought this game for, quick one off games with friends who don't have 40k or fantasy armies. had a great time with it.

Johnnya10
15-12-2011, 17:20
When it first came out, me and a mate sessioned it for the whole dusk till dawn one friday. Despite exhaustion and consuming enough coffee to fund the budget of a small South American country, it was fun all the way until the fry-up in the morning.

Haven't played it since and though I've done a couple of ships, there's still a lot of scenery to paint. A lot...