PDA

View Full Version : Necron Triach Stalker - Trinity Tomb Crawler Model

Gunless Ganger
13-12-2011, 04:45
Hey,

I saw this Trinity Tomb Crawler the other day:

http://bitspudlo.com/products/trinity-tomb-crawler

I like the model - a little expensive but might consider it depending on what the GW one looks like when it shows up.

~ GG

Lyonator
13-12-2011, 05:00
That's a LOT expensive.
Half the fun of using non-GW stuff is saving money IMO.
It is a cool model though.

AmKhaibitu
13-12-2011, 05:10
Heh, seems necron inspired right down to the glyphs :p

Warpcrafter
13-12-2011, 05:11
But the artwork shows it has six legs. Sorry, gonna wait and see if GW makes one.

Chem-Dog
13-12-2011, 19:47
That's a LOT expensive.
Half the fun of using non-GW stuff is saving money IMO.
It is a cool model though.

Is it though? I can imagine the Stalker weighing in at a similar price, it only has to be a wee bit bigger than a dreadnought and a wee bit smaller than a Soulgrinder and you're bang on.

But the artwork shows it has six legs. Sorry, gonna wait and see if GW makes one.

But....TRIPOD!!! Am I the only one who gets it?! TRIPOD!!!!

enygma7
13-12-2011, 19:54
I'm going to base a conversion off the cryx leviathan from privateer press.

Konovalev
13-12-2011, 20:16

That's only if you keep the heat ray though.

Gunless Ganger
13-12-2011, 20:31
Is it though? I can imagine the Stalker weighing in at a similar price, it only has to be a wee bit bigger than a dreadnought and a wee bit smaller than a Soulgrinder and you're bang on.

True - to me, in Canada, this model is only $3 more than a Dreadnought.

MMMmmm Tripods.

I do love me some microwaved Marines.

Lord Dave
13-12-2011, 21:23
These guys are one the worst kinds of bottom feeder companies. They should be sued and lose the right to do business.

Image you create a game with 10 pictures of units in it. You publish and make 6. A month and a half later, someone has completely ripped off your artwork and marketed nearly an exact model for one of your pictures.
Now you have copyright issues with that company that clearly stole your ideas and is trying to make money from people playing the game that you created and support.

Its not like the codex has been out for a long time and these guys are filling a gap and this may even cause delays on GW releasing their model. I know people like to rip on GW for its pricing and decisions, but no company deserves this outright theft.

Spleen Hammer
13-12-2011, 22:32
That thing is... AMSOME!

I want one just to have one. I'm probably abandoning my budding Necron ambitions in lieu of Tau, but dang, that thing may well inspire me to collect a 500pt "filler" list to plug in to multiplayer games.

That's around, what, 50 USD? That's doable.

man... I need another job.

Scaryscarymushroom
14-12-2011, 00:14
These guys are one the worst kinds of bottom feeder companies. They should be sued and lose the right to do business.

Image you create a game with 10 pictures of units in it. You publish and make 6. A month and a half later, someone has completely ripped off your artwork and marketed nearly an exact model for one of your pictures.
Now you have copyright issues with that company that clearly stole your ideas and is trying to make money from people playing the game that you created and support.

Its not like the codex has been out for a long time and these guys are filling a gap and this may even cause delays on GW releasing their model. I know people like to rip on GW for its pricing and decisions, but no company deserves this outright theft.

It's not possible to prove that the existence of a "Trinity Tomb Crawler" will actually have any bearing on the integrity of Games Workshop's IP. I agree with you that it's a shady business technique on part of Bitsbox.eu, but the release of this model could mean virtually anything for GW. If this kit experiences any minor level of success, it could very easily encourage GW to release a proper triarch stalker as an immediate response. GW could create a Stalker, foster elitism in their customer base for having "authentic" models, and completely crush little bottomfeeder companies like this by making people ashamed to admit they ever bought anything else.

IMO, this thing isn't exactly pretty. I'd sooner make my own triarch stalker out of clay.

Or, you know. Bitsbox could find some ProBono attorneys and GW could waste millions of dollars in court.

Santtu
14-12-2011, 00:33
I think it looks great and wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I wasn't so disappointed in the Newcrons.

Chem-Dog
14-12-2011, 02:31

I do love me some microwaved Marines.

Just you and me then Konovalev :shifty:

zerodemon
14-12-2011, 18:43
@LordDave Competition is a good thing, both for the consumer and for the people involved. It promotes variety and creativity as people try to one up each other.

I'm personally not a fan of this model. Think it's a bit meh. The GW one will certainly be better and have 6 legs. They should've gone all the way and made a 28mm scale WotW tripod.

gutsmaka
14-12-2011, 18:49

I agree with the lord of dave, this model is a complete rip off, they even want you to seat a modle in it, like a triarch stalker:mad:

ted1138
14-12-2011, 18:52
Is it really that expensive, 149 Polish Zloty is only £27.00?

Lord Damocles
14-12-2011, 19:04
It looks rather too chunky to me.

Melchiah
14-12-2011, 19:05
A friend of mine had posted this conversion guide in his blog last week. The link is to the converstion site, not my friend's blog.
http://santacruzwarhammer.blogspot.com/2011/12/necron-triarch-stalker-conversion.html

dangermouse425
14-12-2011, 19:14
No-one would have believed, in the last years of the 19th century...

Aluinn
14-12-2011, 20:50
It's not possible to prove that the existence of a "Trinity Tomb Crawler" will actually have any bearing on the integrity of Games Workshop's IP. I agree with you that it's a shady business technique on part of Bitsbox.eu, but the release of this model could mean virtually anything for GW. If this kit experiences any minor level of success, it could very easily encourage GW to release a proper triarch stalker as an immediate response. GW could create a Stalker, foster elitism in their customer base for having "authentic" models, and completely crush little bottomfeeder companies like this by making people ashamed to admit they ever bought anything else.

IMO, this thing isn't exactly pretty. I'd sooner make my own triarch stalker out of clay.

Or, you know. Bitsbox could find some ProBono attorneys and GW could waste millions of dollars in court.

Whenever GW gives you multiple pictures of something in their codex art which are consistent and clear, that means that they have done a model for the thing. In any other case, they either don't give a picture or they have one that is shadowy and indistinct. They're absolutely consistent in this practice.

In other words, they need no incentive to produce a Tomb Stalker because they have done so, and it's waiting for the Necron second wave of releases.

As for "proving" that these ripoffs harm the IP, no, it's probably not possible to do so (though it is more possible to demonstrate that they'll harm GW's bottom line), but we're not in a court of law here. We all understand perfectly well, I think, that they've taken GW art and concept and made a model out of it with slight changes in order to maybe maintain plausible deniability in court. Regardless of what may or may not happen in court, it is still crass idea theft motivated by potential for profit, by the common definitions.

Gunless Ganger
14-12-2011, 21:43

... this modle is a completerip off...

... Regardless of what may or may not happen in court, it is still crass idea theft motivated by potential for profit, by the common definitions.

Yes let the Hate flow through you! It only serves to make me want the model all the more! Bwa-ha-ha! :chrome:

minionboy
14-12-2011, 23:53
The googles tell me that it's only $42, which isn't bad, but personally, I'd wait for the second wave which supposedly hits home in January.

rocdocta
15-12-2011, 00:48
Competition is a good thing for modern consumers. If GW have no competition...prices rise...models are delayed ie most nid new releases. GW cant say that they own all the rights to any 28mm scale alien looking walking thing.

i think that because a lot (not all) of GW players are mainly GW gamers it may put a set of blinkers on them to what is fair and what is not. They already charge far too much for average models with poorly written rules.

i am not a fan of the look of the model in question. But if i did i would buy it without hesitation.

madcrazy619
15-12-2011, 04:00
These are a few I converted.

KarlPedder
15-12-2011, 04:07
This isn't competition though.......Privateer Press is competion (well sorta) companies that do this don't provide competition they are parasites.

But then I looked at the Necron Codex went hmmm there are some unit's in here that don't have models that I'm acutally going to want to field in my list guess I'll wait till 2nd wave.

decker_cky
15-12-2011, 04:21
These are a few I converted.

Those are pretty slick. Are all those entirely made from Ghost Arks?

madcrazy619
15-12-2011, 04:36
100 percent ark :shifty:

Ixajin
15-12-2011, 08:51
@madcrazy - do you have wip pics?

Scaryscarymushroom
15-12-2011, 21:34
The googles tell me that it's only $42, which isn't bad, but personally, I'd wait for the second wave which supposedly hits home in January.

My price shows up at $57.

Whenever GW gives you multiple pictures of something in their codex art which are consistent and clear, that means that they have done a model for the thing. In any other case, they either don't give a picture or they have one that is shadowy and indistinct. They're absolutely consistent in this practice.

In other words, they need no incentive to produce a Tomb Stalker because they have done so, and it's waiting for the Necron second wave of releases.

Why wait? If it's ready to go, they should sell it. People want them. I also think they need no incentive, because they have incentive to release the kit already. But with a competitor's product on the line, they have even more incentive to get an "official" model out.

enygma7
15-12-2011, 23:02
Why wait? If it's ready to go, they should sell it. People want them.

The logic is probably that, with codex necrons released, people will go out and buy a necron army (or upgrade their existing necron army with some of the new models). Since some of the models have not been released people will mostly build an army that doesn't have those models in it. Then they release the second wave. Now people who have bought necron armies will also buy the models in the second wave, that they really wanted all along, and expand their armies. Had they released them simultatenously then many people would have bought only what they needed for their army and been less likely to buy additional stuff.

rocdocta
16-12-2011, 01:13
This isn't competition though.......Privateer Press is competion (well sorta) companies that do this don't provide competition they are parasites.

But then I looked at the Necron Codex went hmmm there are some unit's in here that don't have models that I'm acutally going to want to field in my list guess I'll wait till 2nd wave.

But privateer press arent really competition as the models dont really fit in with the 40k style. I think that GW has really pushed the attitude that they somehow own the idea of an alien walker such as the triarch. if they cant release a quality model in time well that is their own fault. dont forget that it wasnt long ago that forgeworld was their own entity and their models werent allowed.

This is a hobby and if there is a better product or even "a" product well then people have the right to buy it and use it.

i am sure that if they were able to GW would try and stop people from green stuff moulding their own models ie scarabs for their own use. again this is perfectly legal and is akin to copying your CD for own use.

I find it hypocritical that GW use an unethical redundancy based business model and expect others to follow it without a real legal basis. If you read the Australia legislation regarding copyright etc it makes for an interesting read.

jack da greenskin
16-12-2011, 12:46

Fanboy much? I was going to type out a long and boring reply to explain why I disagree, but this fella sums it up well enough.

@LordDave Competition is a good thing, both for the consumer and for the people involved. It promotes variety and creativity as people try to one up each other.

Competition is healthy. It raises quality and lowers prices. Games workshop would be a much more palatable company if they had some serious competition, or if their fans shopped round competitors.

Ultraloth
16-12-2011, 15:34
Fanboy much? I was going to type out a long and boring reply to explain why I disagree, but this fella sums it up well enough.

Competition is healthy. It raises quality and lowers prices. Games workshop would be a much more palatable company if they had some serious competition, or if their fans shopped round competitors.

Yes, but in this case it might also result in less interesting codices and army books. If GW loses money to these parasitic outfits, they will try to respond. Since releasing all models for a single army at once eats into their own profits, they will either make the unit descriptions and artwork for unreleased models as nondescript as possible (IE uninspiring) or they won’t include those units in the codex at all.

I dislike these kind of ‘competitors’ because they haven’t got a single ounce of creativity or artistic talent (the two conversions in this short thread both look miles better than the rip-off stalker they’re marketing) but by virtue of their existence they’re influencing decisions made about products I am very much interested in.

Draconis
07-02-2012, 01:23
Wow, I looked at the model. The actual Triarch stalker is supposed to be almost dreadknight sized according to the rumor mongers, but the trinity one, weighing in at $56 USD is just under 4" tall.....big size difference and very, very expensive for its size.

Grimdesign
07-02-2012, 01:51
Yes, but in this case it might also result in less interesting codices and army books. If GW loses money to these parasitic outfits, they will try to respond. Since releasing all models for a single army at once eats into their own profits, they will either make the unit descriptions and artwork for unreleased models as nondescript as possible (IE uninspiring) or they won’t include those units in the codex at all.

1: If losing money to competition because of a lack of product then the proper business response is to deliver said product or miss out on said money.
A: Deliver
B: Don't deliver

2: If a company snipe delivers a product based on a design then you have several options:
A. Sue
B: Deliver a superior product
C: Do nothing

So here is my conclusion based on these two points, either GW will deliver a superior product because of this outside influence(or in spite of), or nothing will happen (for us). I for one am waiting for the official model but competition will always benefit the consumer, even if its a knock-off. The option to kitbash your own unit still exists even without these competitors, so the creatives out there wont be hindered by this development at all.

they will either make the unit descriptions and artwork for unreleased models as nondescript as possible (IE uninspiring) or they won’t include those units in the codex at all.

this wont happen. I am not even sure how you came to this conclusion, If they fail to place units in a codex, then they cant create said units. For a miniatures company, that isn't a good idea. If they include units in a codex with the explicit intent of not creating those units, then the consumer still wins.

insectum7
07-02-2012, 03:40

There's healthy competition and unhealthy competition. They are two, very separate things. I'm not entirely sure where this example lies, but the intent here seems pretty obvious, garish, and tasteless. In fact, I don't think this particular example either "raises quality" or "lowers prices". It's a pretty poor showing.