PDA

View Full Version : Tim Burton-esque Army?

The Inevitable One
13-12-2011, 08:22
At this current time, I am looking to fashion an army that is akin to Tim Burton's work. That or anything similar to goth subculture. Painting is not so much of an issue, while lore and aesthetics are.

Any ideas?

Kaltenberg
13-12-2011, 08:28
Goth check.

Tim burton: Who? :D

Please describe more what kind of army your looking for. But my guess would be Chaos/orks

xxRavenxx
13-12-2011, 08:32
The closest I could think of for 40k, would be to do an army themed on Catrinas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Catrinas_2.jpg), and other Dia de los muertos traditions. (Which I'm pretty sure is where Burton draws most of his inspiration from when using puppets.)

Lots of intricate patterning on armour, floral bits, and so on.

It would match the legion of the damned models pretty well.

The Inevitable One
13-12-2011, 08:34
Goth check.

Tim burton: Who? :D

Please describe more what kind of army your looking for. But my guess would be Chaos/orks

Tim Burton is a motion picture director. He has created and/or directed motion pictures such as The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Sissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Alice in Wonderland, etc.

I am looking for something has variety and is dark/mysterious.

The closest I could think of for 40k, would be to do an army themed on Catrinas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Catrinas_2.jpg), and other Dia de los muertos traditions. (Which I'm pretty sure is where Burton draws most of his inspiration from when using puppets.)

Lots of intricate patterning on armour, floral bits, and so on.

It would match the legion of the damned models pretty well.

I forgot about the Legion of the Damned. That idea sounds rather viable.

Mit Gas
13-12-2011, 09:08
I got two suggestions:

First: Necrons. Not only would it be rather easy to make them all look kinda like Jack Skellington with only a paintjob, those weird ship-like flyers also scream Burton. Just add a few visual cues from his flicks (like giving one a pumpkin head or Beetlejuic-y patterns.

Oh and you know, your leader would have to be Johnny Depp. Maybe a Flayed one called Tim, wearing the skin of Johnny Depp. The deeper meaning fits it all as well.

Another good choice would be Dark Eldar IMO. With Haemonculi being already sick and weird, you can pretty much justify any shape your warriors come in. Also: Harlequins. That's pretty much Burton.

Daemons and Chaos are imo not that suited, simply because daemons would need a lot of insane tinkering with the minis and Chaos Space Marines are too broad and stumpy for the Burton look. You know Burton likes most of his figures to be as thin as possible and the whole physiognomy of Space Marines is the direct opposite!

MajorWesJanson
13-12-2011, 09:21
Dark Eldar I would suggest work best. They have that sort of macabre feel to them visually that seems to fit. There is even a piece of wargear called scissorhand :D

Memnos
13-12-2011, 09:34
No, no. Dark Eldar don't have the right proportions to pull off Tim Burton's work.

Necrons definitely are the way to go: Elongated skulls, exaggerated lengths of limbs, the ability to throw buckets of macabre colours.

And, of course, Flayed Ones for Edward Scissorhands.

Kakapo42
13-12-2011, 09:37
if you're looking for something dark and mysterious consider Dark Angels. They're all about the darkness and mystery. Alternatively the Sisters of Battle may also be what you're looking for.

Shamana
13-12-2011, 09:41
I think Dark Eldar may take a little conversion, but have the potential to pull it off quite well.

Glenn87
13-12-2011, 10:01
Yeah, Dark Eldar and Harlequins where the first things that popped my mind to ;)

The Inevitable One
13-12-2011, 10:03
These all sound like very good ideas. Keep them going!

Both Dark Eldar and Necrons have been considered and at this point in time, they are the strongest candidates. That is not to say that other armies are off the table.

Thank you for the help so far.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
13-12-2011, 10:23
I'll also cast my vote in for Dark Eldar, Haemonculi as the HQs with Wracks and Wyches as Troops, Harlies and Grotesques for Elites, Beastmasters and Scourges for Fast Attack (If those wings don't scream Burton I don't know what does) and maybe Talos for Heavy.

For those liking the aesthetic of the Necrons for this project, why not incorporate some Necron miniatures into the Dark Eldar army? Necron Warrios as Wracks would work quite nicely and I'm sure Necron parts could be used in the Grotesques.

Hope this helps.

The Death of Reason
13-12-2011, 10:31
Might I suggest Daemons.

Its really an army, where you're absolutely free modelwise :)

Grimtuff
13-12-2011, 11:28
First: Necrons. Not only would it be rather easy to make them all look kinda like Jack Skellington with only a paintjob, those weird ship-like flyers also scream Burton. Just add a few visual cues from his flicks (like giving one a pumpkin head or Beetlejuic-y patterns.

Point of order: Tim. Burton. Did. Not. Direct. Nightmare. Before. Christmas. It was Henry Selick (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0783139/)! ;)

OT: I second Dark Eldar, they seem to have the right "feel" to them.

Eddie Chaos
13-12-2011, 12:07
Dark eldar With a nice black and white paintjob. Take a haemonculus, loads of Wracks, Grotesques and beastpacks.

Try to use alternate minis for the beasts if you want to "Burton it up"

Locephax
13-12-2011, 12:56
Another vote for Dark Eldar from me.

3 0f 6
13-12-2011, 12:58
What about Eldar Harlequins, makes them more "burton themed"?

sigur
13-12-2011, 13:11
It's "background" (or "fluff" if you will), not "lore".

Aside form that, sure, go for Dark Eldar, give them snowy bases and call each of them Johnny Depp. They're all very feminine and they got that SM stuff going which I'm sure is what many would connect to "goth culture".

In general, I don't see too much in common with Tim Burton and "goth culture" (whatever that is nowadays).

LonelyPath
13-12-2011, 13:19
Tim Burton is a motion picture director. He has created and/or directed motion pictures such as The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Sissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Alice in Wonderland, etc.

I am certain he was joking when he said he didn't know who Burton was :P

Also, you forget Peewee's Big Adventure, Big Fish, Beetlejuice, Batman, Batman Returns, and my favourite Ed Wood :D

There are some miniatures outthere basedon Burton characters, particularly some from Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow and The Corpse Bride, but I can't remember right now how made/makes them.

There are also these by Freebooter that I have always found Burtonesque:

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=fbt_fbf_fbt_und_121_000

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=fbt_fbf_fbt_und_111_000

Dark Eldar should work though, but I'd alter the fringes as those are more Emo than Gothic ;)

Memnos
13-12-2011, 13:20
Point of order: Nobody said he did. The OP said he was the Creator and/or director of (various movies).

Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas was most definitely created by and heavily influenced by the guy whose name is in the title. :D

He also did a very good Batman film. Burton tends to go way over the top with colourless worlds that are interspersed with vivid pastels. See Alice in Wonderland, Nightmare, the 1989 Batman, Beetlejuice and... Uh... Every other Burton film ever. He tends to caricaturize appearances of the people in his films, though that's not universal.

Beetlejuice was definitely a C'tan with his weird and wonderful powers.

Edward Scissorhands was a robot with a scissor hand, so he was definitely a Flayed One.

Put any Necron in a top hat and you have Jack Skellington.

Most of the cast of Corpse Bride would be variously dressed up Necrons.

Willy Wonka was... Err... Okay. He was a Haemonculi. I concede that point. Dude surrounded himself with horribly mutilated and mutated people, then invited a bunch of children in to his home so he could variously maim them. If you're doing a Willy Wonka themed army, go Dark Eldar.

Point of order: Tim. Burton. Did. Not. Direct. Nightmare. Before. Christmas. It was Henry Selick (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0783139/)! ;)

OT: I second Dark Eldar, they seem to have the right "feel" to them.

Tymell
13-12-2011, 13:33
Another voice for Dark Eldar. They've got a much more capricious nature than the Necrons, less serious and with a strong wicked glee vibe, plus they embody dark, twisted humour (albeit in a much more vicious form than Burton's works usually take).

A Sweeny Todd Haemonculus, Scissorhands wracks, Halloween-themed unit, headless hellion/jetbiker, a corpse bride wych and some Beetlejuice style mandrakes, Alice in Wonderland court, Batmobile raider, loads of possibilities!

Gingerwerewolf
13-12-2011, 13:54
Another voice for Dark Eldar. They've got a much more capricious nature than the Necrons, less serious and with a strong wicked glee vibe, plus they embody dark, twisted humour (albeit in a much more vicious form than Burton's works usually take).

A Sweeny Todd Haemonculus, Scissorhands wracks, Halloween-themed unit, headless hellion/jetbiker, a corpse bride wych and some Beetlejuice style mandrakes, Alice in Wonderland court, Batmobile raider, loads of possibilities!

Ive got to vote for Dark Eldar too. But make sure you slip in some Harlequins in there.

To me, the residents of Halloween Town would be very appropriately represented by Harlequins: They are a group together that are welcomed by the others, but they themselves keep themselves at a bit of a distance.

Just the way that they all turn up to Jacks Town Meeting reminds me very much of a Troupe of Performers / Harlequins turning up.

Especially
Clown with the Tear Away Face, Snake Fingers and the Wolf Man. The Mayor already has the image of a Death Jester. Jack as the Solitaire?

Gearhead
13-12-2011, 19:02
Oop, got Elfman and Burton mixed up. I'd go with everyone else, corpse carnival theme Dark Eldar. I did have an idea a while back with the tyranid codex, using tervigons as walking closets and termagaunts as various dolls (though that was more inspired by Tediz). Found some dollhouse closets at a hobby store, only would have had to close them when I rolled doubles.

Dryaktylus
13-12-2011, 20:12
Why not a Coteaz list?

*Coteaz: make the eagle a bat:D
*Ordo Xenos Inquisitor with scythian talons (maybe a Haemonculi conversion)
*DCA: various models - for example Harlequins or Wyches
*Arco-Flagellants: Flayed Ones
*Rogue Psykers (http://bluthilde.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/22278-mars_attacks.jpg) (beware of the Noise Marines)
*Planet of the Apes (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1140004&prodId=prod1140066a):eek:

xerxeshavelock
13-12-2011, 20:28
I would vote for a Harlequin or Daemon army, but to be honest I would say Fantasy would be better suited to your idea.