PDA

View Full Version : under our noses all along!

tu33y
13-12-2011, 11:47
apart from the bastion, which shows up in very rough form in the 5th Ed rulebook, and the statue of the space marine witch shows up just about everywhere, what else was in plain sight ages before it was released?

in: codex and rule books

white dwarf

website

behind the scenes pictures

im really interested to know!

The bearded one
13-12-2011, 11:51
I so totally hope the dwarven statues that pop up all over the place in the fantasy backgroundscenery...

deadly claris
13-12-2011, 12:16
the destroyd rhino , was in IG codex

The bearded one
13-12-2011, 12:21
I believe the plastic daemonprince was sighted on some pictures before it was released.

tu33y
13-12-2011, 12:54
the destroyd rhino , was in IG codex

ooo aegis defence line as well... just spotted it!

Avian
13-12-2011, 13:27
The new (well, most recent, anyway) Mengil Manhide showed up in Phil Kelly's Dark Elf army in one WD before the Manflayers box was previewed.

Sleazy
13-12-2011, 13:36
I believe the plastic daemonprince was sighted on some pictures before it was released.

Yeah was seen in Chaos books long before it was released.

Gingerwerewolf
13-12-2011, 13:59
apart from the bastion, which shows up in very rough form in the 5th Ed rulebook, and the statue of the space marine witch shows up just about everywhere, what else was in plain sight ages before it was released?

in: codex and rule books

white dwarf

website

behind the scenes pictures

im really interested to know!

Sorry to be a bit of a Party Pooper but all of what you mentioned above were actually studio pieces, designed and made by the Scenery modellers. Then enough people wrote in and they said Oooh lets make a model. Thus the Models were not sneak peeked, but copies of hand crafted origionals.

Maybe the above is semantics. The Daemon Prince and Mengil Manhide were seen.

Are you looking for mistakes? Because the Stormraven was posted on the website months before it was released

Hokiecow
13-12-2011, 14:11
and the DE beasts

Sai-Lauren
13-12-2011, 14:12
Sorry to be a bit of a Party Pooper but all of what you mentioned above were actually studio pieces, designed and made by the Scenery modellers. Then enough people wrote in and they said Oooh lets make a model. Thus the Models were not sneak peeked, but copies of hand crafted origionals.

By that count, the ultimate would have to be the Praetorian Guardsmen. :)

DCLXVI
13-12-2011, 14:13
There's some interesting terrain pieces on the inside and back cover of the new Necron codex. You never know, hiding in plain sight and all that...

tu33y
13-12-2011, 14:26

Are you looking for mistakes? Because the Stormraven was posted on the website months before it was released

thats all quite interesting... i did not know that about the studio pieces!

no, im not after mistakes, as that will head down a very negative road. im talking about genuine "ahhhhhhhhhhh!" moments...

Feorag
13-12-2011, 14:44
Plastic Daemon Prince in warriors of chaos book.

Gingerwerewolf
13-12-2011, 15:00
By that count, the ultimate would have to be the Praetorian Guardsmen. :)

QFT

I know this for an actual fact as I got to work directly on the Big Toof River display :P

The bearded one
13-12-2011, 15:25
elaborate on these praetorian guardsmen :)

Bookwrak
13-12-2011, 15:39
It's not semantics, just not correct. Things like the bastion that showed up early were not 'studio pieces' that were then later copied, but either early production pieces or the prototype renditions of the models. Kits are usually ready to kick off well before they actually go on sale, letting the studio make use of them where appropriate long before customers get access to them. I believe that the Fortress of Redemption made an appearance well before Planetstrike as well.

koran
13-12-2011, 17:01
There's some interesting terrain pieces on the inside and back cover of the new Necron codex. You never know, hiding in plain sight and all that...

I hadnt really spotted just how identical they were. Good call. They would be an awesome release!

Sleazy
14-12-2011, 08:45
The Stompa that appeared in the Apoc rulebook ended up being almost identical to the later released model. We all thought they were just scratch builds at the time.

Gingerwerewolf
14-12-2011, 10:25
It's not semantics, just not correct. Things like the bastion that showed up early were not 'studio pieces' that were then later copied, but either early production pieces or the prototype renditions of the models. Kits are usually ready to kick off well before they actually go on sale, letting the studio make use of them where appropriate long before customers get access to them. I believe that the Fortress of Redemption made an appearance well before Planetstrike as well.

Sorry but Ive got to pull you on that one. I'm currently searching my White Dwarfs and in the article at the time, the Statue was described as originally being scratch built from the Studio's 3 ups and lots of green.

I personally remember the Bastion and have seen the plasticard one.

Freakiq
14-12-2011, 12:05
The Stompa that appeared in the Apoc rulebook ended up being almost identical to the later released model. We all thought they were just scratch builds at the time.

The sloppy paintjobs seem to have been intentional to lead you to this conclusion.

Chaos and Evil
14-12-2011, 13:05
Then enough people wrote in and they said Oooh lets make a model.
Absolutely wrong.

the Statue was described as originally being scratch built from the Studio's 3 ups and lots of green.
Which was patently untrue at the time they said it, because 3up's are a totally different (smaller) size.

Steve54
14-12-2011, 13:07
But tha fact that it looks like an upturned bucket with ork bits stuck on by an 11yr old appears to be unintentionally rubbish

Bookwrak
14-12-2011, 18:00

I remember there being lots of arguments about whether they were scratchbuilt or possibly a new kit, although I'm not motivated enough to go digging through the forum to try and find out.

I remember some hilarious arguments about the warhound in the Apocalypse pictures having to be plastic, as a very detailed examination of the pictures revealed irrefutable differences between it and forge world's.

And then the flurry of plastic thunderhawk proof, because a WD picture showed a guy holding a DA thunderhawk one handed by the middle, which was apparently a feat of unimagineable strength to some, were the model resin.:D

MajorWesJanson
14-12-2011, 19:35
But tha fact that it looks like an upturned bucket with ork bits stuck on by an 11yr old appears to be unintentionally rubbish

The two scratch-stompas in Apocalypse both have design elements we see in the plastic one. it seems they took the best parts from each and combined them into one kit.

Lord Damocles
14-12-2011, 19:58
The plastic Trygon appeared in the Battle for Cold Steel Ridge in Apocalypse, didn't it?

Deff Mekz
14-12-2011, 21:25
Harker was actually shown in a really blurry pic a few months before he was released. ( I think it was in one of those ctiadel hall of fame articles)

gutsmaka
15-12-2011, 07:14
the broken aquillathat come with the space marine statue, check what the baneblade (I think, or it could be the shadow sword) is driving over on the front of the box!

tu33y
15-12-2011, 09:05
also just noticed the broken aquilla is on the back cover of 5th ed rulebook...

scarletsquig
15-12-2011, 14:06
The plastic Trygon appeared in the Battle for Cold Steel Ridge in Apocalypse, didn't it?

Yes, I remember the discussion at the time about whether or not it was the forgeworld version.

The bearded one
15-12-2011, 14:34
also just noticed the broken aquilla is on the back cover of 5th ed rulebook...

ha, you're right. And the statue's on there too :D

tu33y
16-12-2011, 08:51
man that statue is EVERYWHERE... it needs it own FB page...

Jim
16-12-2011, 09:58
I think the IG special character with the Heavy Bolter appeared lurking in the background of a random pic in WD before being officially released...or am I mis-remembering???

Jim

popisdead
16-12-2011, 19:52
The sloppy paintjobs seem to have been intentional to lead you to this conclusion.

I heard it was a prototype too

MajorWesJanson
17-12-2011, 00:06

What I find amusing is that the cover of the Valkyrie box is the FW one :D

LonelyPath
18-12-2011, 18:07
Parts of the Skyshield Landing Platform appeared a few times before it was released including inside the 5th edition rulebook.

tu33y
18-12-2011, 20:52
What I find amusing is that the cover of the Valkyrie box is the FW one :D

is that true? for us dullards, how can you tell? im interested

Jo-Jo
19-12-2011, 13:06
I seem to remember the broken aquilla been in a WD when 4th edition choas marines were released.

Or maybe its just me.

LonelyPath
20-12-2011, 15:03
I seem to remember the broken aquilla been in a WD when 4th edition choas marines were released.

Or maybe its just me.

It did pop up all over the place like some other things did prior to its release.

I'm wondering if the little broken window form the Honoured Imperium set also appeared anywhere like the rest of the set did.

Inquisitor Kallus
20-12-2011, 17:58

The Imperial eagle on the nose, and a few other small details..

ehlijen
21-12-2011, 01:15
The Imperial eagle on the nose, and a few other small details..

What's different about the eagle?

Trasvi
23-12-2011, 05:26

I can't tell you about the Valkyrie, but the same thing is the case with the Tau Piranha. Nearly all the studio piranhas are forgeworld.
You can tell because:
1) The engine housing that connect the 'wing' to the body on the forgeworld one is sinuous and blends into the body, wheras it is straight edge and just butts up to the body on the plastic one
2) The plastic burst cannon are 2-part, with a cavity in the center so all 4 barrels are separate. the forgeworld ones are a single-piece with all 4 barrels adjoining a central solid column: on the GW art you can see that the column is still there.

I assume there are similar subtle differences for the valkyrie.

On topic, the only ones I can think of immediately are the dwarf statues. They've been cropping up everywhere for years...

Bigglesworth
23-12-2011, 16:59
Who knew games workshop were planning finecast scince at least 2003?

See eye of terror book creed, and todays "finecast" creed

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123812&d=1324408750

In seriousness I brought this up before and am not claiming anything :D;)

Hokiecow
23-12-2011, 20:44
Didn't they do that with all the previously metal models that are now finecast?

Bigglesworth
23-12-2011, 21:14
Didn't they do that with all the previously metal models that are now finecast?

Yeah I am sure most of the finecast pictues are metal, but I am not sure how many are radicly different schemes, if they had just kept him green and tan no one would notice, but becuase its a "new" scheme that is not, anoys me slightly

lbecks
23-12-2011, 21:57
Their metal model pictures aren't even metal. The studio painters get actual high quality resin to paint.

Bigglesworth
23-12-2011, 22:50
Their metal model pictures aren't even metal. The studio painters get actual high quality resin to paint.

So, resin pretending to be metal pretending to be a different kind of resin? :D

MajorWesJanson
26-12-2011, 21:30

I can tell by looking at the canopy frame. The GW plastic frame is thinner and more 3 dimentional, while the FW one has flatter and wider frames for the canopy. I have the FW crashed Valk, so can easily compare the parts.

tu33y
26-12-2011, 21:31
lets not turn this in to another finecast discussion.

popisdead
30-12-2011, 18:51
In the Apocalypse book the Trygon is there burrowing out of the ground and the description shows it's current usage.