PDA

View Full Version : Hardcover Army Book Warping?

loveless
13-12-2011, 16:05
I came across an unexpected issue at the LGS the other day.

I went in with the intention of picking up a Tomb Kings Army Book. When I got to the shelf, however, both of the books in stock had front covers that bulged out, effectively making the book look like this: (|| I didn't buy one as I was unsure if I could fix the cover.

Now, the books are in a forward-facing rack at the store so you can see the covers. There's a fair bit of room on each slot, so the books aren't tight and each slot can accommodate several of each title.

I'm assuming this isn't common given that I don't recall anyone mentioning it prior to my own experience.

That said, if you have come across it, was it repairable? Did weighing it down and leaving it for a while fix the warping? I'd like to know if there's a quick fix for it so I can pass the info along to the store - otherwise I get the feeling those books will be sitting there unsold for a long time.

Thanks

Malorian
13-12-2011, 16:15
Must have gotten wet. I've seen no such problem around here.

Memnos
13-12-2011, 16:21
I've never faced that issue before. The problem is that people in stores treat books horribly. I hate when people touch my books at the store. They will bend the cover entirely around until it hits the back. They will break the spine. They will smash, mash, drip on, eat and otherwise demolish any book they get their greasy little fingers on.

Malorian
13-12-2011, 16:23
I've never faced that issue before. The problem is that people in stores treat books horribly. I hate when people touch my books at the store. They will bend the cover entirely around until it hits the back. They will break the spine. They will smash, mash, drip on, eat and otherwise demolish any book they get their greasy little fingers on.

Exactly!

And yet they wonder why their soft cover books fall apart so easily :rolleyes:

loveless
13-12-2011, 16:28

That's one issue I've never had the bad luck of experiencing. Even the hand-me-down paperback codices/army books I've received refuse to fall apart (though the covers have a definite crease from being opened and closed for years). I've never seen a beaten-up paperback on the shelves, either.

Honestly, I just think people don't know how to treat books. That said, I'd rather have the books available for perusal than zip-sealed (I've seen stores that do the latter). Before the last price hike, I used to pick up codices on a whim if the art or rules inside were particularly interesting - a bit hard to do that if the books are all sealed up, as I don't like to buy blind.

Lorcryst
13-12-2011, 19:19
Looks like humidity damage ... I've had that with my University books (not my Army Books tough), the solution was to press them between very heavy books and leave them like that for a week or so ...

Might not be possible for a shop tough ... maybe send them back to GW as defective ?

RTGamer
13-12-2011, 19:40
Mine did that and I think it was the cha nges in heat in my shedhouse(tm) that i live in at the moment. I fisxed it by keeping my books in the center of the house and stacked one on top of each other. Simple solution and don't let it put you off buying the book.

The covers are fine and there was no lasting damage to them.

T10
13-12-2011, 19:54
Agree on humidity being the cause. My TK book covers are very slightly u-shaped but it's hardly noticeable even when I look for it, certainly lesss now than when I first unwrapped it.

xxRavenxx
13-12-2011, 20:05
Exactly!

And yet they wonder why I tell them to stop reading books on my shelves :p

Greasy handed filth wizards... Eesh.

Memnos
14-12-2011, 10:23
And yet they wonder why I tell them to stop reading books on my shelves :p

Greasy handed filth wizards... Eesh.

Hahah! And I bet they try to make you out to be the bad guy. Drives me crazy. You should make a sign: "I have never had a soft or hardcovered Games Workshop army book fall apart. If you have, you can not touch these."

Daniel36
14-12-2011, 10:32
That said, I'd rather have the books available for perusal than zip-sealed (I've seen stores that do the latter).

The LGS where I worked zip-sealed all of the books, but they ALWAYS had one people could look through, which would also be used during club nights for people that didn't bring theirs.

Worked wonders. Only that book could get damaged, people could still look it through but when they bought one, it would always be mint condition.

Crovax20
14-12-2011, 10:32
I heard Tomb Kings don't like high humidity, no wonder they bend themselves to try and get somewhere arid.