PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point Trogg Army

Gradek
13-12-2011, 20:10
As an alternate to an more normal starting WoC army, I have come up with a Trogg list that I think might be fun to play with (unless my opponent uses purple sun).

Sorcerer Lord - 395
(level 4, MoT, Disc, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Infernal Puppet)

Trogg the Troll King - 175

Core
5 Marauder Horsemen - 75
(shields, spears)

5 Marauder Horsemen - 75
(shields, spears)

8 Trolls - 360

5 Chaos Warhounds - 30

Special
6 Dragon Ogres - 462
(Great Weapons)

Rare
Chaos Warshrine - 150
(MoT)

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth - 275
(Additional hand weapon)

Total = 1997

Could this be competitive (I know it would be fun)?

popisdead
13-12-2011, 20:39
I took Lore of Slaanesh as it works very well with Trolls (buffing yourself with the frenzy spell).

Gradek
14-12-2011, 15:33
I like Tzeentch for the extra ward save since my Lord will be alone on a disc. I also like potentially using pandemonium with all my fear causing units, but Slaanesh would be my second choice (although fleshy abundance would be nice on the dragon ogres). The question though is, can this list be competitive or would it likely get wiped out by most armies (and yes I am going to discount purple sun, if that happens it will be a quick game restart).

zielonkak
14-12-2011, 16:40
your units are small, so i think you will have trouble with some armies that have huge tough blocks, like orcs and darkelves...

Kaleithel
14-12-2011, 22:08
I took Lore of Slaanesh as it works very well with Trolls (buffing yourself with the frenzy spell).

I like Tzeentch for the extra ward save since my Lord will be alone on a disc. I also like potentially using pandemonium with all my fear causing units, but Slaanesh would be my second choice (although fleshy abundance would be nice on the dragon ogres). The question though is, can this list be competitive or would it likely get wiped out by most armies (and yes I am going to discount purple sun, if that happens it will be a quick game restart).

In addition, Hysterical Frenzy cannot be cast on unit that are immune to psychology (i.e., Trolls due to Stupidity).

Pawn of Decay
16-12-2011, 13:09
I think you don't have enough bodies on the field for this army. I have a friend who plays an all Warriors of Chaos Monster army based around The Troll King and he has some success with it. However he doesn't use any magic, and thats a personal choice. By not taking the magic however, he has been able to stick the points into some bigger units and they can cause quite a shock.

I think the Maruader horsemen don't really bring anything to your army, I would personal drop them, perhaps take a second unit of dogs and put the remaining points into more Trolls.

Alan Quartermaine
16-12-2011, 16:28
I also run a throgg list, and in my hands I believe they're very competitive. However you're going about it the wrong way, you just want you're characters and then everything else needs to be trolls, they're great for their points and way more effective than drogres.

Here's my list:
Sorcerer lord, level 4, mark of tzeentch, infernal puppet, talisman of preservation, enchanted shield, bloodcurdling roar, disc of tzeentch.

Throgg.

Exalted hero, BSB, disc of tzeentch, mark of tzeentch, srteam of corruption, shield, armour of destiny.

7 trolls.

7 trolls.

6 trolls.

6 trolls.

You just want to stay in a bubble, keep together and get stuck in. As soon as you're enemis close enough fly over them with the disc heroes and rear charge for extra combat res. Don't be afraid to send the sorcer off hunting...

Hope that helps a bit.

Also as an aside I converted all my disc heroes from trolls with pegasus wings on 50mm bases. I'd also adivise you to use river trolls but swap their weapons for chains.

Alan Quartermaine
16-12-2011, 16:41
One final point! A whole trolls army will psych you're opponent out! First they'll ask if you're playing ogre kingdoms, then you'll explain...as its such a rare and unusual list they'll play differently as they will underestimate everything as they'll of never seen a list like it before....just watch out for daemon players who lnow exactly what it is and like to take lots of flamers and siren songs....

Shadow_captain
19-12-2011, 07:57
I taking trolls, lots of warshrines, then you get super buffed up troll units from the mutant regen. and from shrines

zielonkak
19-12-2011, 17:31
Alan, i really like your throg list...do you run the trolls 3 wide?

10_minute_pie
19-12-2011, 20:03
Firstly, you don't have nearly enough troll. 8 in a 2 x 4 is decent, but If you really want your troll rocking faces they should be 12 strong, 3 x 4. With such low initiative, you'll find that a bunch of your dudes are dead even before they get to attack, which is why I like the bigger unit.

I agree with Alan Quartermaine, turn your shaggoth into trolls, though I sort of like the DOgers, just because their something a little different. I also really think you need to find a way to get a BSB in there, otherwise you can count on your trolls going stupid at least a few times a game.

But you, trolls are really really good.

zielonkak
19-12-2011, 20:28
Why do you run them 2 wide and 4 deep. I would consider 3 to 4 wide to max to attacks

10_minute_pie
20-12-2011, 07:21
I run them 2 deep, 4 wide, or 3 deep, 4 wide...

zielonkak
20-12-2011, 13:48
Cool. I thought so