PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me find an army?

TehBloodGod
13-12-2011, 20:15
Hello all, I have 1000pts worth of Warriors of Khorne. I decided to stop at 1k because I wanted a Khorne theme and didn't want to have to deal with the importance of magic.

I have been trying to find an army to use when I am not using my 1k Khorne list. I have had very little success, so I thought I'd come here and see if more experienced players could point me in the right direction.

I was going to start Empire but for whatever reason I ended up trying some proxied games with the Tomb Kings book against my friend. My friend plays Ogre Kingdoms and I play him a lot. Fluff is important to me, but not losing every game is important too lol. I have tried Tomb Kings and a combination of me not playing them well and them being less effective against Ogres made me decide they are not for me. I like the idea of Vampire Counts but unless the next book is drastically different from the 7th edition (which I doubt), I don't think they would be a good fit either.

I guess, the best question I have for everyone is this:

Why do you play the army you do? What about your army works for you, and doesn't work for you? I have already picked an army completely based off of the models and the fluff (Warriors and Knights of Khorne).

Thanks!

Crovax20
13-12-2011, 21:53
I started playing Warhammer in 7th Edition with Orcs & Goblins, we didn't have many powerlists at our club so it was quite fun. However I grew more fond of the goblin part than the Orc part and eventually sold off all the Orcs. Now I run a (Night) Goblin army, and in 8th it is actually pretty decent as well! The army if full of charm and fun, when you play with it you know all sorts of crazy stuff can and will happen.

The other army I started collecting was Empire, just because of the awesome video from Mark of Chaos. I have had some fun, but the painting is making me cringe. I'm pondering what to do with my empire army now as I don't have the patience to paint it all the way I want.

Third army I started was Tomb Kings. One of the things that drew me towards the Tomb Kings is my units will actually stay and fight to the last! Due to always playing Goblins I do find that I run out of points exceedingly fast with my Tomb Kings. Its quite refreshing however to have fewer models to paint, and at least the skeletons are a drybrush heaven. I've only played a couple of small battles with the army up till now, but running a chariot unit into a unit of elves and then throwing 14+ impact hits is satisfying!

As I will likely sell my empire army, I'm looking around for a new army as well, something that isn't high in modelcount. I've sort of narrowed my choices down to Lizardmen, Ogres and Dwarves. What draws me in all these armies is their relatively low modelcounts and pretty decent stats. All seem to be reasonably easy to paint as well, with me favoring Dwarves and Ogres a bit above Lizardmen. I'm still not sure which one its going to be.

AtariAssasin
14-12-2011, 03:48
I recently started a Warriors of Chaos Slaanesh army, mainly because I like the Chaos Unit's look, and out of the Chaos Gods he's my favorite. Something about manipulating peoples pride and ego to turn them to evil...

Luigi
14-12-2011, 04:55
I remember when I first wanted to start warhammer I had never seen a single miniature. There was this dude sitting next to me who, I don't remember how, one day during the explanation of the 2nd declination in latin (I still remember that day :P) he started telling me how his previous day battle went. I have always loved this kind of fantasy stuff and he was very good at telling the story of how his tomb kings were able to destroy all of invading forces of the orcs. So in my mind there were all sort of cool ideas and these toy soldier he would speak of would take the most delightful shapes in my imagination. So after a good moth and a half of inquiring into the game with him and bothering the poor lad with more and more information (never though I asked the price), I decide to go to the only local UNfriendly game store in my city (and area) and buy a box of miniatures to start. I had 20 euros with me, i figured that being toy soldier I would be paying 7-10 euros for them or, at the very most, around 15. when I went there in that moldy underground dungeo... ehmm store, the truth hit me like a bat hits the ball, yes I could buy something with 20 euros, the army book! only that little thin booklet with a few pictures of some miniatures painted in a way I would have never been able to paint. Anyways I still got that book, it was the Wood elves book (and yes it was still the same that we have now). but i kept the recipe. I showed to my father we had a little speech and he managed to convince me not to get into the hobby: I therefore returned the book for the peace of my heart and wallet. My father in order not to see me and my brother down brought us to a store where we bought Heroscape (for 70 euros sic!! and I believe that was the only few time I got a game or something and it was not christmas or birthday) and so we went home. I remember we ere building one of the scenarios of heroscape and the dragon fell from the table onto the floor and since it was made of soft plastic nothing happened. I'll never forget my father saying: now imagine that it was one of the other dragon (he meant the GW's) we would have had a funeral for him for how much you would have spent. and so I placed warhammer away from my mind for a while. Just the next day I was so angry with my friend at school who literally talked me into a game that was so expensive.

Year passed and another fantasy store (so we call in italy the LFGS) I went there to check it out since I had started magic in the meanwhile and I remember seeing a few painted models that started an argumet between me and a friend of mine over the fact that elves were worse than dwarves in a fantasy setting (I had long abandoned any sympathy for the elves) and that somehow sparkled my interest in the game again. I went there one afternoon but the prices drove me off again. Until one sunny day of May a friend of mine said: "Luigi I'm selling my old miniatures would you like to buy some of them? I'll give you a good price, plus if I do go out with Eugenia I'l ask her for a friend for you :D ) He had only a handful of dwarves left, mostly in metal and I was not totally sure. Good thing that the owner of the new store was a very good guy and ensured me that I could use his table whenever I wanted with no need to ever buy anything (which i actually did then) or and showed me the battle for skull pass box. I still remember of cool it was and it had the same price of the rulebook!
Actually the rulebook was what exactly made my decision final: if skull pass was sold rulebook-less I would not be here typing all this long and boring story of how I started warhammer. Since that day I've been the proud general of a ever growing dwarf force.

And this, lafy and (mostly) gentlemen is the story of how I started Warhammer.

Sorry If i bored you with my personal and somewhat childish story but I really wanted to put it down.

PS why dwarfs? well i had grown fond of them long time before due to some german author and his books revolving around the stunties (can't remember title or author) plus they were the ones with a cannon in the box!

PPS if it was not made clear my suggestion was for dwafs because only a great army could deserve so much virtual ink being spilt (?) on a single post.

m1acca1551
14-12-2011, 05:34
Ok, well you have already got a very CC orientated list so maybe something that can be a jack of all trades??

- Empire are the kings of this they are a solid army that can take on all comers
- HE will allow you some great CC units, great magic and some shooting but has to played smartly
- TK are awesome fun, i have just started them myself, and i'm finding that they can be a mixed bag and do suffer against the power lists from 7th but then again who doesnt.

I'd say empire... i have a massive army, never been bored with them, as the amount of choices and themes from the fluff is imense.
- nuln gunline
- sigmarite templer army
- grand army of the elector
- knight order armies
- wizard led armies
The list really goe on and on :)

Spiney Norman
14-12-2011, 11:25
Hello all, I have 1000pts worth of Warriors of Khorne. I decided to stop at 1k because I wanted a Khorne theme and didn't want to have to deal with the importance of magic.

I have been trying to find an army to use when I am not using my 1k Khorne list. I have had very little success, so I thought I'd come here and see if more experienced players could point me in the right direction.

I was going to start Empire but for whatever reason I ended up trying some proxied games with the Tomb Kings book against my friend. My friend plays Ogre Kingdoms and I play him a lot. Fluff is important to me, but not losing every game is important too lol. I have tried Tomb Kings and a combination of me not playing them well and them being less effective against Ogres made me decide they are not for me. I like the idea of Vampire Counts but unless the next book is drastically different from the 7th edition (which I doubt), I don't think they would be a good fit either.

I guess, the best question I have for everyone is this:

Why do you play the army you do? What about your army works for you, and doesn't work for you? I have already picked an army completely based off of the models and the fluff (Warriors and Knights of Khorne).

Thanks!

I play the following
Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Orcs and Goblins, Empire.

I'm a bit of an ancient culture nut, so LM and TK were a natural fit for me, being based on the Aztecs and ancient Egyptians respectively. I started O&G when the 7th Ed starter set came out, and I instantly had stacks of night gobo models, however it turned out I liked the army and it stuck, I later diversified into savage orcs when the most recent army book came out.

Empire was a major fail for me, I bought tonnes of stuff, and never got it to the table, all I have painted are a cannon, a handfull of wizards and half a unit of greatswords. The problem was I just didn't feel the army. Making an army work is about wanting it for me, if your main reason for choosing a new army is being able to beat your ogre mate easily then thats ok, but really the best way to choose a new army is find one you like the look and background of.

Sh4d0w
14-12-2011, 11:35
Im just gonna say this right now, think of all your childhood memories of the fantasy worlds, did you like little gnomes, dwarfs, evil overlords...etc? Now pick what armies best represents them, now chuck that army out of your head because the most fun/versatile and quite cheap army to play are dark elves, if like me however you love dwarfs for their fluff and background not there rules then play them :)

Horace35
14-12-2011, 13:32
I started O&G basically because I liked the looks of the army - particularly the Night goblin part of it (this is back around 4th or 5th time). I still like them today and have continued adding due to the unpredictability of them.

They can be awesome.. they can throw away certain victory and ruin the best laid plans. they certainly have variety too

I started a Dwarf army after that mainly because I liked the fluff and wanted some sweet war machines to play with.

Druchii Monkey
14-12-2011, 13:52
Dark Elves are totally cool and there is loads of fluff in the Malus Darkblade books, as well as a lot of coverage in Defenders of Ulthuan and Sons Of Ellyrion.

The core units of repeater crossbows and spears are nice and easy to paint, and cold one knights are an absolute beauty as far as models go. You can have a lot of different types of armies within the book Khainites, Corsair Raiders, Militaristic Black Guard, all covered really nicely in the Malus Darkblade books.

Also, as an army they have a really good balance between magic, shooting, and close combat which makes them great tactically, and their poor toughness also makes them tactically challenging.

The Low King
14-12-2011, 13:53
dwarfs, cos of their 3 Bs: Beer, Beards and Big Bloody axes

Maskedman5oh4
14-12-2011, 16:33
I also play Warriors of Chaos.

I think you should build a 1000pt force of Tzeentch or Nurgle.

You can make 1000pt armies for each God. Then you can play huge games (4000pts) or make a huge combination of smaller armies using your versatile collection of troops.

J_D
15-12-2011, 06:45
I play Orcs and Goblins, just because they are so random and hilariously funny some times. If you already have a combat army, maybe trying something like Dark Elves that focuses on shooting

Kisanis
15-12-2011, 08:09
I think my friends and i all can agree on playing army lists that are fun and full of character.
I play skaven and primarily a Clan skyre list at that. I started it because my brets (which were once competitive... in 5th edition) would take far too much effort and time to become decent in the new edition.

So Skaven became my new list.

My friends and I have been playing for many years and its always about finding a list/army that suits your playstyle and your CHARACTER.

you need to play a list that you don't care if you lose. (I for one can blame the machines... and the treacherous rat-men who use them... never my own failures)

sigur
15-12-2011, 09:07
What are you looking for in an army?

doggy
18-12-2011, 18:35
I always like to have something that is the complete opposite of my other army, gives you loads of possibilities.