PDA

View Full Version : New Chaos Sorcer Lord Build

haveyouseenaduck
13-12-2011, 21:13
New Chaos Sorcerer Lord

Lore of Shadow Level 4

Blood Skull Pendant:
Instead of attacking, make a S-8 hit on all enemies in base contact with model.

Blasphemous Amulet:
Every friendly magic phase all enemy model in base contact must pass a T test or suffer 1 W.

Stream of Corruption:
Once per game make a S-3 breath weapon attack with a minus 2 to armor save.

Enchanted Shield:
Gives the Sorcerer a 3+ armor save.

Shrieking Sword:
Model now causes Fear.

I don’t have my book with me, but I think the point add up to 365. Bunker him in with a unit of Warriors 18 or so, or Chosen unit of 10 to 15. Advance them towards the main unit, hopefully it has the enemy General. I would also have a 40+ Marauder unit with Wulfrik. After Seafang has deployed them use the Shadow Lore special ability, Smoke and Mirrors to swap them. Now I have Wulfrik in a more important Battle, with a sturdier unit. And I have my Sorcerer behind the enemy lines with a large Marauder force to mop up the War Machines and or Shooters.:evilgrin: So, any ideas?

Malorian
13-12-2011, 21:27
Looks very expensive and risky.

If you want this guy on the flank and a combat character in combat, why not just mount the sorcerer and put him with some cav (maurader cav if you want to save points) and race around to the flank and then simply start the combat character in a combat unit.

Simple plans simply work better :)

Edit: Plus for a character that you want out of combat you sure have a lot of combat gear on him...

haveyouseenaduck
13-12-2011, 21:40
I want him in combat, just up against the weaker units, units with lower T and less likely to wound my Lord. I want him to crush and destroy. As for why not mount him, the Blood Skull pendant is for models on foot. It would also better distribute my points, putting Wulfrik a 185 point Character with a more costly unit and moving my 365 Lord in a hard hitting but cheaper unit. I find that WOC lack of Shooters and slower moving units get shot to pieces before they can get to the meat of it. This way before my enemy knows what hit him his whole plan is out the window.
I also don’t like Marauder horsemen; they are fast but very rarely get to do much other than get shot up. And when they do they don’t pack enough punch. Chaos Knight do pack a punch but cost a lot and generally also get shot up.

Malorian
13-12-2011, 21:44
Well if you want him in combat why not start him in the combat unit.

If you want him against weaker foes then set that up during deployment.

Basically what I'm saying is that your plan depends on a reserve roll, for your opponent not to charge and destroy you before the reserves come in, and for your spell to be successfully cast.

If any one of these things fail then your plans do nothing but put catches your sorcerer lord in a combat you don't want him to be in.

haveyouseenaduck
13-12-2011, 21:54
True, but even if it's not the combat I want he is still in combat, and with Smoke and Mirrors I can switch him out with any other Character. I've been trying the simple plans and I am getting blown apart, Dwarves, High Elves, even Skaven. Apart from my deployment strategy, what do you think about the build? I very rarely see these Chaos items being use. Everyone uses the same stuff over and over again. I don’t see the fun in that. I want to be more creative. I’ve been working on a Throgg, Wulfrik, Lord of Shadow list that would be Trolls, Marauder and Warhound heavy.

Malorian
13-12-2011, 22:00
It's an ok build but it's a LOT of points being protected by just a 3+ save.

The other thing is that removing a few models from base to base isn't as effective as it once was thanks to step up.

So if you want a change then go for it, but at the same time if you are trying to stop a losing streak I don't think this is the answer.

Maybe try taking as few points in characters as possible and getting more troops.

TheOneHawk
13-12-2011, 23:39
It's a 2+ save, actually.

haveyouseenaduck
13-12-2011, 23:43
Thanks, like I said I didn't have my book. It was all done from my head.

Hinge01
14-12-2011, 04:53
Your basic plan of using smoke and mirrors to switch Wulfrik with the caster is sound. However, the caster kit does not make sense. He should be packing an arcane item first, protective gear second, and then perhaps a cheap magic blade for the occasional etheral if points allow. The protective gear allows him to stand in combat until the spell goes off or reinforcements arrive. Sticking him in the Chosen unit is fine. It might tempt your opponent into engaging it when it really should be avoided.

A bunch of maruaders backed by even a chaos sorceror will make quick work of any "weak" units or warmachines. No need for all teh fancy gear.

AlphariusOmegon20
14-12-2011, 17:59
New Chaos Sorcerer Lord

Lore of Shadow Level 4

Blood Skull Pendant:
Instead of attacking, make a S-8 hit on all enemies in base contact with model.

Blasphemous Amulet:
Every friendly magic phase all enemy model in base contact must pass a T test or suffer 1 W.

Stream of Corruption:
Once per game make a S-3 breath weapon attack with a minus 2 to armor save.

Enchanted Shield:
Gives the Sorcerer a 3+ armor save.

Shrieking Sword:
Model now causes Fear.

I donít have my book with me, but I think the point add up to 365. Bunker him in with a unit of Warriors 18 or so, or Chosen unit of 10 to 15. Advance them towards the main unit, hopefully it has the enemy General. I would also have a 40+ Marauder unit with Wulfrik. After Seafang has deployed them use the Shadow Lore special ability, Smoke and Mirrors to swap them. Now I have Wulfrik in a more important Battle, with a sturdier unit. And I have my Sorcerer behind the enemy lines with a large Marauder force to mop up the War Machines and or Shooters.:evilgrin: So, any ideas?

I like the idea, but I see a couple of problems with it.

1- You're on a 25mm base, meaning at most you'll only be able to get into base contact with 3 models max. Those pendants and amulets are best used with a 50mm mount base to maximize your contact.

2- Both the pendant and amulet work in base contact. Ok the first magic phase, you're golden, but what about the second turn of a challenge should it go that long?? I don't believe that the amulet would affect anything other than who you are fighting in a challenge ( IIRC, BTB abilities don't work on the unit when in a challenge, and the Changling is the only exception to this.)
I believe you hosed yourself on the pendant also for the same reason, should you chose to use it in a challenge.

3- If you're going to go the Fear route, you'd prolly be better served by taking the Filth Mace and getting the bonus of the poison attacks. All you need is one kill and you cause fear after that point.

Just my 2 cents.

Akkaryn
14-12-2011, 18:14
As my main opponent is Ogre's I'll be Putting the Necrotic Phylactery on my Sorc Lords, the only thing I'm struggling with is how to get that 3+ ward too!

popisdead
14-12-2011, 18:41
Is Smoke and Mirrors is only 12" ?

Try it and see and let us know!

haveyouseenaduck
15-12-2011, 19:51
I have a match set up on Sunday vs. Skaven.
My list
Sorcerer Lord 375pts
Level 4 Lore of Shadow, Blasphemous Amulet, Blood Skull Pendant, Stream of Corruption, Enchanted Shield, Shrieking Sword.
Throgg 175pts
Wulfrik 185pts
Sorcerer of Slaanesh 125pts
Level 2,
Trolls X 7 315pts
2 units of War Hounds 30pts ea 60pts
35 Marauders GW, FC, MOK 229pts
13 Warriors with halberd and Shield 271pts
MOT, FC
Giant of Slaanesh 265pts
2000pts

His Army is Skaven Slave Heavy, 2 blocks of 40. Hell Pit Abomination, pack of 6 Rat Ogres, a pack of 40 giant rats. Unit of 20is Storm Vermin, 2 Warp lightning cannons, Doom Wheel, and Lots of cheap spell caster. I’m not sure of the exact army, but I know a few things. I’ll report back on what the outcome is.

hamsterwheel
15-12-2011, 20:48
The warp lightning cannon will do D6 wounds to every model under the template and it isn't stopped if it doesn't kill a MI model so that will be problematic for your Trolls.

I prefer to go more model heavy since heroes and lords cost too much for WOC.

FlashGordon
15-12-2011, 20:51
Many eggs in one basket. hope you get through that spell. :)