28 savage biguns - AHW, Mu, St
50 Night goblins - Nets, spears,St, Mu, 3 fanatics
5 wolf riders - bows
x2 Orc Boar chariots

Doom diver
lobba
x2 chukkas

2499 pts

Normally I like a black orc bsb, but Grimgor eats a lot of points so I thought I would save them with a night goblin

There is some comp: max 4 war machines, units capped at 50, some elite units at 28 (savage biguns are one of them). SCs allowed except for Teclis and a few others.

I'm trying to do this with stuff i have, and not spend any money. Obviously the big thing that's missing are Manglers: I dont have any, and won't have any ready for the tournament so they are out. Other wise I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

EDIT: Just fixed a mistake, the Savage great shaman is level 3 not 4. If I'm taking Grimgor, I would have to drop the fencers blades to make him a level 4, too many points in Lord. I think the fencers blades are needed for protection in CC.

Malorian
14-12-2011, 13:55
I would rather take an extra magic level than fencer's blades. To be honest WS10 isn't really that much defense.

I'm not thrilled that you have a night goblin bsb in the front ranks but without knowing what other models you could mix in there it's hard to suggest a change.

You know my feelings on greenskin warmachines.

zielonkak
14-12-2011, 15:42
i think the lord should fencers blades for something to boost magic...

Glenn87
14-12-2011, 16:18
well, skip the spear chuka's and the Orc Chariots, and add 2 wolf Chariots (do pretty much the same, buf much cheeper) and an extra Doom Diver).

Also, rather extra level then fencers blades...

TMATK
14-12-2011, 18:03
Thanks for the input, I was torn between magic level and fencers blades, maybe I will go with level 4.

I usually don't take this many warmachines either. I'm just taking a guess that I will see lots of ogres, and I feel like they would be effective against them. I don't know.

My plan with the night goblin BSB was to not even put him in a unit, but have him walk behind the main blocks close enough for a 4+ LOS. Normally I have a black orc BSB in with the savage shaman to quell animosity, I may go back to that.

Other stuff I have: Arock, 2 wolf chariots, tons of orcs, spider riders, wolf riders, squig hoppers, river trolls, various characters, wyvern warboss

Malorian
14-12-2011, 20:45
If you see mournfang then those warmachines can be great, but I find the best way to beat ogres is to max out on our str5+ troops and then add in a foot of gork for fun ;)

TMATK
15-12-2011, 22:16
Leaning more towards this:

Grimgor - general
Blorc BB - BSB, GW, talisman of preservation with savages
Night goblin shaman - level 1, dispel scroll, pidgeon pendant With Night goblins in 2nd rank, if he gets a good spell I might just run him solo.
x3 Night Goblin BB's with GW - crowd the front rank of night goblin bus
Savage orc great shaman - level 4, shrunken head with savages

40 Black orcs - flame banner, FC
28 savage biguns - AHW, FC
50 Night goblins - Nets, spears,St, Mu, 3 fanatics
5 wolf riders - bows
x2 wolf chariots
1 orc chariot

Doom diver
x2 chukkas

The Pidgeon Pendant is a 5 point item that grants a 5+ ward against flyers. I know it's useless, but couldn't figure out another way to spend 5 points! It might come into play if I run him by himself, and I remember it. :)

Added 2 wolf chariots, I dropped the lobba to pay for an orc chariot; I own 2 of each chariot.

Dropped fencers, added a magic level, added a champ to the savages to possibly protect shaman. Also upgraded BSB to black orc.

I'm not sure about the fanatics. I won't have manglers on the flanks to distract things that pop fanatics on the 1st turn. I'm considering a 2nd wolf rider unit that could vanguard into position to act as a sling shot, otherwise I feel I'm guaranteed to have them in my way.

zielonkak
15-12-2011, 22:18
i like it better, but im not a big fan of chariots....i would consider trolls .

TMATK
16-12-2011, 00:58
Yeah, trolls would be good. I have 3 rivers and 1 regular. I guess I could do 4 rivers with the regular counting as a filler, but if I'm going to take any I would want 6.

A part of me is tempted to just do this:

Grimgor
Blorc BB - BSB, GW, talisman of preservation
Night goblin shaman - level 1, dispel scroll, pidgeon pendant
x3 Night Goblin BB's with GW
Savage orc great shaman - level 4, shrunken head

40 Black orcs - flame banner, S,M
28 savage biguns - AHW, S,M
50 Night goblins - Nets, spears,S, Mu 3 fanatics
5 wolf riders - bows

Doom diver

Aracknarok

...and pray for no cannons ;) I put enough time into that giant model, might as well take him out for a spin.

~EDIT~

Speaking of 4 river trolls, this is tempting:

Grimgor
Blorc BB - BSB, GW, talisman of preservation
Night goblin shaman - level 1, dispel scroll, pidgeon pendant
x3 Night Goblin BB's with GW
Savage orc great shaman - level 4, shrunken head

40 Black orcs - flame banner, S,M
28 savage biguns - AHW, S,M
50 Night goblins - Nets, spears,S, Mu 3 fanatics
5 wolf riders - bows

x2 wolf chariots
4 River Trolls

Doom diver

SimonMoon
16-12-2011, 09:55
:wtf: BSB with magic stuff?? am i mad or isn't it illegal??

TMATK
16-12-2011, 12:59
:wtf: BSB with magic stuff?? am i mad or isn't it illegal??

A BSB can take magic items or a magic banner, not both.

zielonkak
16-12-2011, 20:00
i like the list with the trolls...

tmarichards
17-12-2011, 10:43
The Savage bus needs the Stubborn Crown. You've currently got very little way to clear chaff which will mean a lot of frenzy tests. All it takes is one of those to fail, and a Savage bus without the Crown that gets flanked is easy points.

Flaming banner on the Black Orcs is not a good idea. If you want to kill hydras/abombs, do it at range- at I2 they'll be going at the same times as the hydra and after the abomb, so it'll still pretty much ruin the unit even if they kill it back- and if they don't, it'll have another round of combat to take off the rest of the unit. It also makes them vulnerable to any 2+ ward vs flaming lone characters (think Scar-Vets and so on). With Manglers, Rock Lobbers, Foot of Gork, Doom Divers and Pump Wagons are your disposal O&G really should not have any problems killing hydras/abombs before they get to you.

castlesmadeofsand
17-12-2011, 10:54
The Pidgeon Pendant is a 5 point item that grants a 5+ ward against flyers. I know it's useless, but couldn't figure out another way to spend 5 points! It might come into play if I run him by himself, and I remember it. :)

5 point magic item on a character sitting in a big block of night goblins... that would be the ironcurse icon you're looking for sir.

TMATK
17-12-2011, 11:24
@tmarichards: To get the crown into this current configuration I would have to drop the 4+ ward on my Blorc for a 6+. I can't fit it on the shaman, it puts my lord points over 25%. I could swap out the Blorc for a savage BSB and have a 5+ ward and the crown, but that leaves them open to animosity which could lose me a magic phase. I'm more worried about that then failing a frenzy test, I should have a re-rollable 8 or 9 LD most of the time.

Isn't the flaming banner an auto-include in a tourney? I don't go to many. I usually take a the LD banner for a LD 10 bubble, I hate failing LD tests. If I face a character with that dragon helm, Grimgor can hopefully pick him off. His magic axe won't be flaming.

I don't know if I will bus that unit. I think it's better to go wide as possible, even horde, to maximize attacks and win a fight rather then hope to just hold.

@castlesmadeofsand: Good idea, if I need to unload 5 points I'll grab that.

Thanks for all the input folks.

tmarichards
17-12-2011, 11:31
The flaming banner has (in the UK at least) kind of gone full circle- to start with, everyone had it, and so abombs and hydras have become less used (I've not bothered to field a hydra for a fair few games now), and 2+ ward vs flaming characters are becoming more and more common. So, more people are moving away from the flaming banner.

You make a good point about Grimgor though, so you should be ok.

Baron Von Rotten
24-12-2011, 01:54
Why wouldn't Grimgor's attacks be flaming if his unit had that standard?

TMATK
24-12-2011, 02:10
Why wouldn't Grimgor's attacks be flaming if his unit had that standard?

Check the rules for flaming attacks, p69, last sentence. If a model somehow attains the flaming attacks special rule, any magic weapons it wields are not affected.

winsafra
26-12-2011, 02:06
Having read this whole post, I'm curious what you all think about my army list for an upcoming tournament, 2000k.
Orcs Boyz x29 with AHW, Std., Mus. 223
Orcs Boyz x29 with AHW, Std., Mus. 223
Night Goblins x24 Spears Std. Mus. 92
Night Goblins x25 Spears Std. Mus. 95
Spider Riders x5 Short Bows, Std., Mus. 90
Wolf Riders x5 Short Bows, Spears, Shields, Std. Mus. 85
Core-808
Black Orcs x10 Std. Mus. 140
Goblin Wolf Chariot, Extra Crew, Extra Wolf 60
Troll 35
Troll 35
Troll 35
Special- 305
Arachnarok Spider w/ Flinger 320
Rare-320
Orc Warboss, Armour of Destiny, Ironcurse Icon, AHW 173
Goblin Warboss, Giant Wolf, Potion of Strength,
Dawnstone, Armour of Fortune, Shield 166
Lords- 339
Orc Big Boss, Battle Standard, Armour of
Silvered Steel, AHW 127
Night Goblin Shaman, Sivejir's Hex Scroll 100
Hero's- 227
Total Army-1999
Any ideas suggestions? I'm trying to go for as competitive an army as possible, within the sphere of orc and goblin possibilities. Everything is fair game in this tourney, including techlis and slanns, so I figured Sivejir will give me a chance at least to neutralize magic for a few turns :)

zielonkak
26-12-2011, 02:22
beef up all your units with more men...basically combine goblins to one unit at 50, combine orcboyz to one unit of atleast 40 to 50 make them biguns and give them double choppas. then drop the unit of spider riders, the standard in the wolf riders, and the chariot because you only have one,with the extra points add atleast another 10 black orcs and give them the flamming banner...if you have any points left, take some warmachines...thats a start to what i would do....if your set on big spider then thats cool, but with the points, you could add some doom divers,lobbas, more trolls and even a giant.

winsafra
26-12-2011, 02:32
Thanks for the ideas man, I'm gonna have to rework those bits, didn't see any issues with the characters though?I'll be glad if that's the case :) Is Sivejir a decent enough shot to try and knock out major magic users without wasting alot of points myself to stop it?

zielonkak
26-12-2011, 03:20
really with orcs and goblins...i dont put that much faith into the characters...everyonce in a while i beef up my orc general to kill things but thats it really....check out my new post for 1000 points...now i went light with items on characters this time, but thats because im trying out gobos...i would normally beef up the orc lords though

Jakk
26-12-2011, 13:01
I would rather take an extra magic level than fencer's blades. To be honest WS10 isn't really that much defense.

I'm not thrilled that you have a night goblin bsb in the front ranks but without knowing what other models you could mix in there it's hard to suggest a change.

You know my feelings on greenskin warmachines.

What are your feelings on greenskin warmachines? I have eight...

zielonkak
26-12-2011, 16:49
Which ones. The doom divers and lobbas are pretty good but I wouldn't take more then 2 chukkas

tmarichards
26-12-2011, 19:31
With regards to war machines, the divers and rock lobbers are just superb. I don't really rate Chukkas.

Also, even thought they're not war machines, I think Pump Wagons with +D6 movement and Mangler Squigs deserve a special mention for being really really good.

zielonkak
26-12-2011, 23:02
My experience with the squigs have led me to think they aren't that great. But I've had some bad luck with them.

Malorian
27-12-2011, 13:03
What are your feelings on greenskin warmachines? I have eight...

In my experience, in a world of hordes only the rock lobba has a solid place.

dagreenmoonboyz
27-12-2011, 14:22
Alright I am going to say this with hope of not starting some crazy idiotic debate. What advice you get here at warseer in reference to its quality largely depends on your comping rules and area's gaming habits. So take everything with a grain of salt.

As for warmachines I usually have poor luck but I do enjoy doom divers. I dont think I have every really gotten my points back (yes even against brets, misfired 6 times that game) with the two i usually run but it gives at least some shooting threat.

I also have to agree with Malorian putting the BSB behind lines in a bunker
it works out tremendously for helping with leadership bubble.

zielonkak
28-12-2011, 04:14
OUch. 6 times

whitespyre
30-12-2011, 07:37
@Malorian would you always recommend taking a Night Goblin BSB in a bunker behind the main line? How big would you make the bunker?
Would you place a NG shaman in the same bunker?

Malorian
30-12-2011, 19:38
I would almost always put him in the bunker.

It's the cheapest and safest way to get a reroll.

If your opponent however starts targetting your bunker you may need to increase the size, or keep it the same and run to the fronts in desperation.

The charm shield is a nice cheap way of protecting him from a mortar wipe out of the bunker and a cannon at the bsb.

dementian
30-12-2011, 19:48
No lvl 4 winsafra?