PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

PaperStraw
14-12-2011, 02:35
Just out of curiosity what would you think is more interesting and/or valuable?

Concept Art for Tau Auxillaries?

or

Concept Art for Tyranids?

zoggin-eck
14-12-2011, 06:51
Sorry, I have no idea what you are asking...

Concept art. As in, it exists and you want to show it? Or, you made some yourself? Or even, you for some reason would like to know what people want to see? Why so specific on the Tau artowrk, but not on the Tyranids?

PaperStraw
14-12-2011, 12:29
No, it is official concept artwork. I have the opportunity to purchase some, and was trying to gauge interest.

For the amount of money I would need to pay. Would it be more investment-conscious for me to purchase a hodgepodge of Tyranid concept artwork, or a group of the same number of unrealized Tau Auxillary concepts?

Which one do people think is the more interesting?

Basically:
1) What is the better investment?
2)Which (in your opinion) is cooler to own?

ehlijen
14-12-2011, 12:48
It's not much of an investment either way, I dare say. If reselling is what you're after, don't buy either in the first place would be my suggestion.

As to what's cooler to own, that's entirely up to your own tastes. We can't make that call for you.

Konovalev
14-12-2011, 15:52
It's not much of an investment either way, I dare say. If reselling is what you're after, don't buy either in the first place would be my suggestion.

This. Concept art is a niche market. Also consider the medium here. 40k's medium is primarily models, and to a lesser degree novels. If 40k were a comic book series concept art should sell very well. But since 40k focuses on scale models, I wouldnt expect much. Now if you had a prototype model sculpt on the other hand...

Denny
14-12-2011, 17:54
Agreed. If you think its cool buy it, but don't expect to make a profit (unless maybe you're being offered a crazy low price)

Lord Damocles
14-12-2011, 17:57
Choc chip muffins are totally better than blueberry.

Wait, what..?

ehlijen has the right of it.

LonelyPath
14-12-2011, 18:33
if it is to be something you will keep, go for whichever you like the look of most. it's that simple, you don't buy art you don't like.

If it's to resell, I'd keep my money.

PaperStraw
14-12-2011, 19:53
Well the thing is: I love the artwork,and I love the artist. Especially the Tyranid stuff. I started playing/collecting Tyranids 13 years ago, and still am.

I think it is a pretty collectible thing too. You have the artwork that spawned the modern Tyranid range, what true Tyranid collector wouldn't be interested in that? Buying the art wouldn't be to make a quick buck, but I like the idea that they will appreciate in value the longer I keep them, and maybe make a profit in the future. Too me it would be similar in value in the future to the unreleased Genestealer Magus model that was sold over eBay during the summer (I think).

The thing is, while I love the art, and I love the idea it may appreciate in value, it is still pretty expensive. I just don't want to suffer from buyer's remorse.

Cortez
14-12-2011, 20:24
tyranid. you should of put this to a poll so everyone doesnt have to right and you dont have to read lol. peace

cynic
14-12-2011, 20:37
just buy which ever YOU like best.

Notanoob
14-12-2011, 20:58
I'm a Tyranid fan, so I'd say go with them, although it would be interesting to hear abour the Tau stuff.

PaperStraw
14-12-2011, 21:12
The Tau stuff includes some never-before-seen concepts. I was sent preveiws of them, but I was never given express permission to post them. Some of them are pretty cool.

One is an plasmodial humanoid that can form whips and weapons out of it's ctoplasm. It's humanoid form is pretty solid, though it looks like it's whole mass can turn into tentacle/psudopods.

The next is a four-legged creature. The legs are kind of like spider legs. It has a tail, two clawed-hands, and it has horns on it's head with a long lashing tongue.

The third is similar to a krootox. It has four limbs (kind of like elephant feet), with the front legs being significantly longer than the back. It's about 3x the height of a fire warrior, and has tusks growing out of the sides of its body by its abs. It seems to be a mobile gun-platform, carrying a large plasma rifle or such on it's back. It's face reminds me of the FW spined deamon.

The next sheet is an assortment of small, weird aliens.

The fifth sheet is a tall alien with four arms and a rat like tail. It's torso is really tall. The bottom arms are holding a staff with a hook-like shape at the end. The top arms are holding a weird gun type thing, that has tubes running to it's back. the head seems featureless except two-eyes and it has a ponytail type deal going on. It has some primitive looking armour on.

The next alien has a tripod limb set up and a pair of wings. It's face reminds me of a DE wrack's mask.

The last alien looks to be in an old fashioned diving suit that is overall bullet shaped. It has four arms with the lower arms being smaller.The concept also has a strange rifle drawn next to it, as well as what appears to be a sword and shield.

Shnerg
14-12-2011, 21:18
Tau then. And then sell it to make millions.

Notanoob
14-12-2011, 21:18
Very interesting assortment there. Some of them mentally reminded me of things like the Zoats/Dominators, the "Alien Sniper" concept from Halo 2 (mentioned in the Legendary Edition of the game), and that last one wouldn't supprise me if it were the basis of future Demiurg.

PaperStraw
14-12-2011, 21:26
Truthfully all the aliens are really unique. I'd love to model some, but my GS skills probably wouldn't do it any justice.

None of them really resemble the "alien trooper" and especially not the dominator/zoats :P

I'd truthfully be very surprised if the diving suit alien became the Demuirg, it appears to be very tall, almost gentlemanly in stature.

The assortment of aliens are multiple takes on a typical "grey" alien, miniscule bodies with alien heads. The largest drawing on there is a strange floating "fetus" type alien. It has no legs, just a "hip" and tail. It's arms are like big trowels.

stroller
I'm MORE interested in nids than tau - so I voted that way.

Interesting - yes. Interesting enough to spend actual money on? For me, no. I'm not you tho...

Can you afford it? Do you want it? Do you want it more than x.....? Over to you

The Death of Reason
Buy it all, rent a bank deposit box, write up a will, forbidding your heirs to open it untill 100 years have passed after your death, then the sale of the art should be able to fund your ressurection, and you will find yourself in a strange time with obsolete and forgotten skills and die impoverished in a dirty alley :evilgrin:

PaperStraw
14-12-2011, 21:29
Buy it all, rent a bank deposit box, write up a will, forbidding your heirs to open it untill 100 years have passed after your death, then the sale of the art should be able to fund your ressurection, and you will yourself in a strange time with obsolete and forgotten skills and die impoverished in a dirty alley :evilgrin:

uhhhhh... okaaaay???