PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Legion - human operatives

Dr.Zahnfleisch
15-12-2011, 05:27
After reading "Liars due" I'm looking for any media concerning the Alpha Legion and particularly non-astartes operatives.

Apart from the obvious Lexicanum entry, I stumbled upon "Legion" (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Horus-Heresy/Legion.html) which apparently deals with the Alpha Legion and it's doings during the Horus Heresy. That being said, I assume its mostly related to the astartes.

Could anybody give me a short breakdown of what I can expect from the story?

Any recommendations, or links to other media of that sort would be highly appreciated. Feel free to show off your Alpha Legion, too.

Dr.Clock
15-12-2011, 05:55
'Legion' is a great read. I really don't want to expound too much on the story itself, as pretty much anything you say about this one is gonna be somewhat spoilery.

As far as human operatives go: this is one of the coolest things about the Alpha Legion IMO.

Most Astartes value head-on attack to cripple the foe. Many eschew 'dishonourable' forms of combat such as infiltration, deception etc., preferring to heroically fling themselves through incoming fire to smash your face in. A Marine would never dream of changing his heraldry, unless as a direct affront to their previous allegiances. Marines of both colours - loyal and renegade - can usually be trusted to wear their motivations on their sleeves... we can't 'trust' Renegades, but we can trust them to be untrustworthy. Marines also most often prefer to maintain operational division between 'Marine' units and 'non-marine' units... they are often aloof, detached and/or indifferent toward human detachments that they fight alongside. Marines of both stripes also have a very centralized command structure. Whether it's a Chapter Master or an Exalted Champion leading a warband, the chain of command is usually perfectly clear.

Alpha Legion turn all of this on its head. They constantly use infiltration and deception to AVOID conflict in pursuit of strategic goals, even to the extent of impersonating other chapters/Legions. We have not learned, so far as I am aware, that the Alpha Legion has a single, clear strategic focus. There are many possibilities, but no up-to-date canon source has told us specifically. Alpha Legion Legionnaries (the marines) work very closely with their human operatives. A 'cell' will actually probably have more humans than Astartes in it, depending on its objective. As far as command structure goes, we really don't know... aside from the fact that it does not appear to be centralized to nearly the extent of other Chapters/Legions. With all the shell games that the Legion play, loyalty is likely to the cell first and foremost, with roles changing as new cells are formed for varying purposes.

As you can see, the Alpha Legion are a question wrapped in an enigma. It is not surprising that they haven't had much in-depth treatment in the fluff, as they are kept deliberately obscure.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
15-12-2011, 06:05
Thanks for your remarks. "Legion" has been ordered.

If anybody has some more input on the Alpha Legion, feel free to post.

zerodemon
15-12-2011, 06:28
Siege of Vraks 1 has some good Alpha Legion stuff

LotusCorgi
15-12-2011, 07:33
no one knows too much about the Alpha Legion...that's kind of the point...;););)

Excessus
15-12-2011, 09:20
Deliverance Lost is a new book and worth a read as well. Raven Guard and Alpha Legion interactions...

Other than that, Dr.Clock more or less nailed it! Check different wiki pages for accounts of their battles(but read "Legion" first if you don't want spoilers), they have some very VERY insidious battles fought...

All Cing Eye
15-12-2011, 13:52
Also from Legion we learn that the Alpha Legion treat their operatives pretty well, and are loyal to them. They are not simply canon fodder to be used and disposed of but valued assets to the legion/cell. Loyalty and Honesty is most important to the Alpha Legion, when dealing with their operatives at least.

Okuto
15-12-2011, 14:32
Also from what we know from Legion....we can assume the Alpha Legion had to of split in terms of objectives....

Cause you know....

We have some Alpha Legion guys who are just bonkers....idol worshipping gits screaming blood for the blood god not fit to call themselves Alpha Legion.....ala the DOW deplicts....

And then we have the faithless dude from Vraks who....while acted like alpha legion...still was a chaos worshipper....or that silly daemon prince Alpha Legion guy.....

Surely the original guys who were beside our beloved Primarch stayed true to his plan...even though they failed and now just concern themselves with their own survival till the Imperium implodes on itself...

But I'm hoping there's a HH novel to flesh out what really happened in the Smurf-Alpha Legion fight and who really took it for the team on papa smurf's sword....

Mannimarco
15-12-2011, 14:59
And then we have the faithless dude from Vraks who....while acted like alpha legion...still was a chaos worshipper

Arkos

All round great guy, chopped up a Dark Angel assault marine them smacked Azrael around for a while. Still alive but now a prisoner of the DA in The Rock.

He had an agent, Deacon Mamon, who infiltrated cardinal Xaphan's inner circle and swayed him into seceding from the Imperium and starting the Vraks war.

When Arkos turned up with his troops the landed at the spaceport (disguised at loyalists) and made their way through the DKOK lines under the guise of launching an attack on the citadel.

He pretty much said that the war has to go on and he knows of others who are waiting to take advantage of it. Vraks was before the 13th Black Crusade so whether he meant the Abaddons forces and the crusade or something else entirely I couldnt say.

When Lord Zhufors warband "Skulltakers" showed up a few years into the war and took over overall command of the Vraksian forces Mamon fled and sought refuge with a Nurgle aligned warband (the Tainted IIRC) where he was eventually possessed by a great unclean one and elevated to rank of daemon prince. Hes this happy looking chap (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/NURGLE-DAEMON-PRINCE-AND-HERALD.html).

Scalebug
15-12-2011, 15:15
But I'm hoping there's a HH novel to flesh out what really happened in the Smurf-Alpha Legion fight and who really took it for the team on papa smurf's sword....

Wasn't that after the Heresy? Or am I thinking about papa smurf getting stabbed in the neck with a poisoned rapier by Fulgrim?

In any case, it will be interesting to see if they will keep the story going on to the re-building of the Imperium, splitting up of the Legions, etc after a book on final battle on Horus' ship, or if this will be deemed anti-climactic?

WarpWhisperer
15-12-2011, 15:58
I would suggest browsing here (http://s15.invisionfree.com/Alpha_Legion_Forums/index.php) to see more Alpha Legion goodies...:evilgrin:

If you can get your hands on a copy, the Index Astartes article is certainly what set me on the path to collecting Alpha Legion.

Dawn of War and the Hunt for Valdorius are also sources of Alpha Legion information, but in their cases, I'm not recommending them as very good. But a good Alpha Legionnaire knows how to seperate the wheat from the chaff ;)

LotusCorgi
15-12-2011, 16:05
sweeeet thanks for the link warpwhisperer.

Antreus
15-12-2011, 16:06
They feature in the Victories of the Space Marines anthology. I would say which story, but that would really give it away!

Dr.Zahnfleisch
15-12-2011, 16:42
Is there any reason why so many people use scaly cloaks on AL? Is there any reference to the background?

I guess it makes sense, because of the hydra and all, but aren't salamanders considered to be the "scaly ones"?

Scalebug
15-12-2011, 16:57
They have had scales on their armour since 2nd Ed, painted on and sculpted (on those legion-specific shoulder plates realeased at the same time). Possibly they had scaled cloaks on John Blanches concept spread in the codex as well, don't exactly recall, but think they had...

People giving them scaly cloaks is probably just a case of it being easily available (dark elves etc) or relatively simple to sculpt yourself and get to look cool.

Okuto
15-12-2011, 17:01
GW always changes their colors for some reason.....I think the reasoning is cause we like to dress up as other marines so thus we have chalemeon/reptile skin.....

Personally I don't like it....its kinda showy...alpha legion are all business so I found the scales odd..

Could be a throwback or just symbolic, the scales

Dr.Zahnfleisch
17-12-2011, 00:12
Check out my WIP Alpha Legion operative! (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5973960#post5973960)