PDA

View Full Version : correct pronunciation of chaos gods' names

pjklan
15-12-2011, 11:44
i'm italian and i have some problems in pronunciating correctly the names of the chaos gods.
i guess:
khorne sounds like born
nurgle like purple
tzeentch like mitch
slaanesh like vanish.

can someone please help me?

Urgat
15-12-2011, 11:47
It's about the same for me (excepted Slaanesh, I say it like "fresh"), but I'm French so I might be off too :p
What I'm wondering is how people say Skryre, I say it "skreer", but in Mark of Chaos, it was like "wire"...

pscm
15-12-2011, 11:49
=D =D definitely not saying I am 100% correct but this is how I pronounce them:

Khorne: Just like you!
Nurgle: Same!
Tzeentch: like 'stench' BUT I think a lot of people also pronounce the 'ee' as in green
Slaanesh: Pretty much the same

Haha I'm interested to see if there;s a lot of variation in the way people pronounce these!! I was asking myself the same question a few days ago!!

Dreadlordpaul
15-12-2011, 11:52
I say Khorne like if I was saying corn
Nurgle like gurgle
Tzeench like the name cept without the T
Slaanesh like the rest of you

Liber
15-12-2011, 11:55
Khorne: Corn.

Nurgle: same (purple)

Slaanesh: vanish...but its "esh" at the end not "ish" :P

Tzeentch: its pronounced Zeench. with the long 'e' noise as in 'feel', and both the t's are silent.

Edit: ninja'd by dreadlordpaul and he put it all easier than i did ;o

Ghal Maraz
15-12-2011, 11:56
I'm telling you what one of the italian translators wrote many years ago in a WD: Tzeentch should be pronounced in a manner very similar to "change" (something which does actually make sense, no?).

Liber
15-12-2011, 12:02
I'm telling you what one of the italian translators

Sorry, but what does Italian have to do with any of this?

Is Tzeentch an italian word?

Johnnya10
15-12-2011, 13:44
Phonetically, I always went with: Corn, Nergul, Slarnesh, Zeench, though when I was a lot younger it was more Slannesh and Tezintch. I guess the dark Gods go by many names... :)

GodlessM
15-12-2011, 13:46
Khorne: Corn
Nurgle: Nerguul
Slaanesh: Slaan-esh
Tzeentch: Zeentch

This is how they are pronounced in the many Warhammer games of both systems.

eldargal
15-12-2011, 14:02
Phil Kelly pronounced Slaanesh as Sluh-nesh in the Dark Eldar developer round table videos, which is how I've always pronounced it.

Always pronounced Tzeentch with the first t being silent. Nurgle combined nerd and ogle, Ner-gle and Khorne is suprisingly tricky, it is actually pronounced 'maize'.:P

pscm
15-12-2011, 14:25
Phil Kelly pronounced Slaanesh as Sluh-nesh in the Dark Eldar developer round table videos, which is how I've always pronounced it.

Always pronounced Tzeentch with the first t being silent. Nurgle combined nerd and ogle, Ner-gle and Khorne is suprisingly tricky, it is actually pronounced 'maize'.:P

Hahahah I laughed out loud at 'maize' xD No wonder he is so angry all the time!

Moses
15-12-2011, 14:27
Khorne: Corn
Nurgle: Nerguul
Slaanesh: Slaan-esh
Tzeentch: Zeentch

This is how they are pronounced in the many Warhammer games of both systems.

I'm the same with Khorne and Nurgle. Slaanesh I've alternated between Slaan-esh and Slaan-ish. Tzeentch I've always pronounced without making the silent 'T' silent, I think I'll always hear it in my head that way.

Side note: Rereading Gotrek (which I have to stop myself pronouncing as Gortrek) & Felix after turning 18 and discovering Jagermeister changed the way I pronounced Felix's last name, previously using a more English 'J' (like Joe) sound than the Germanic(?) way I do now. However I started the hobby quite young and some mistakes stick with you (I used to pronounce Commisar Commisionar).

But just go with what sounds right to you. As long as people know what you're talking about that's the main thing. If you're having a conversation about Chaos and pronounce one of the god's name in an unfamiliar (to the listener) way, they can probably extrapolate who you're talking about.

The bearded one
15-12-2011, 14:39
Isn't it fun how there's not really a correct pronounciation but rather varying interpretations of it?

EmperorNorton
15-12-2011, 14:49
Isn't it fun how there's not really a correct pronounciation but rather varying interpretations of it?

Actually I think it's fairly oxymoronic to ask for the correct pronounciation of a chaos god's name.

Ghal Maraz
15-12-2011, 15:08
Sorry, but what does Italian have to do with any of this?

Is Tzeentch an italian word?

He was one of the translators for the italian version of warhammer and he was working directly for GW. I imagined that would be clear, sorry. Alas, he was working right at the Studio, at the time.

So, that's not making his words the truth, but I wanted to share.

bildo
15-12-2011, 15:14
tzeentch like pinch, the rest is pretty simple. the other one with issues i see is tyranids, i hear alot of ty-ranids, and its more like tyranny than ty, if you get me

Daniel36
15-12-2011, 15:17
Believe it or not, Tzeentch is not actually a Games Workshop created deity...
http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/chaos/rites/tzeentch.html
Be forewarned, this stuff is pretty strange... A friend of mine actually owns a book detailing how to summon Tzeentch, and it is not a GW publication nor fan-fiction.

So maybe ask a chaote how to pronounce it... Or perhaps not, we wouldn't want to accidentally summon something...

Voss
15-12-2011, 16:03
Believe it or not, Tzeentch is not actually a Games Workshop created deity...
http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/chaos/rites/tzeentch.html
Be forewarned, this stuff is pretty strange... A friend of mine actually owns a book detailing how to summon Tzeentch, and it is not a GW publication nor fan-fiction.

:rolleyes: I'm not sure how a webpage that combines a lot of GW background (almost verbatim, no less), some generic lovecraft elements and standard new age twaddle convinced you that Tzeentch isn't a GW creation.

AlphariusOmegon20
15-12-2011, 16:24
I've always pronounced them like:

Khorne - Corn
Nurgle - Nur-gul
Slaanesh - Sluh-nesh
Tzeentch - Zeench

I've heard more than a few Brits say them that way, including JJ.

Daniel36
15-12-2011, 17:48
:rolleyes: I'm not sure how a webpage that combines a lot of GW background (almost verbatim, no less), some generic lovecraft elements and standard new age twaddle convinced you that Tzeentch isn't a GW creation.

It wasn't the website. I was merely looking for online stuff, this was the only stuff I could find. But in your way of thinking, you must also be convinced that Orcs and Goblins are a GW thing and not something Tolkien created, just because that's what you find the most when you google it.

Luigi
15-12-2011, 18:06
i'm italian and i have some problems in pronunciating correctly the names of the chaos gods.
i guess:
khorne sounds like born
nurgle like purple
tzeentch like mitch
slaanesh like vanish.

HAhaha I'm italian too and I've always pronounced Tzeentch as it would be in italian :tZZ- eh- NnT-ch
and slanesh the same SL-ah-Neh-sh
and I always will: being demons of chaos they are ever-changing :wtf: therefore no mortal could actually be able to pronounce it correctly.

Voss
15-12-2011, 18:13
It wasn't the website. I was merely looking for online stuff, this was the only stuff I could find. But in your way of thinking, you must also be convinced that Orcs and Goblins are a GW thing and not something Tolkien created, just because that's what you find the most when you google it.

Uh, no.
For one thing, Goblins aren't something Tolkien created. Myths about goblins go back hundreds of years.
For a second, there is a useful thing called publication dates, which can tell you a lot about when things were produced in relation to each other.
For a third, the only thing you offered in evidence of a fairly absurd claim (and it is absurd, since after the Malal issues, not using entirely GW-made gods would be a silly thing to do) was a website, which was filled with very modern concepts, many of which only entered public consciouness with the internet and well after the publication of the Realm of Chaos stuff in the late 80s.

And I have no idea where google enters this picture at all.

boli
15-12-2011, 18:36
This is how I've always pronouced them:

Khorne - k'orn emphasis on the k at the start
Nurgle - ner-gul
Slaanesh - slan-esh
Tzeentch - t'zinch emphasis on the t at the start

...that means they are all 2 syllable names :)

bolshie
15-12-2011, 18:45
I have always pronounced T in Tzeentch - as in Tzar or t'internet...

peukestas
15-12-2011, 19:26
I don't think there is a disagreement over Khorne .
Slaanesh - slan-eshshsh (''heavy'' s :P)

Nurgle-it should sound like a pod full with errupting bubbles, or a maggot slipping in rotten flesh....he is the god of decay after all. Try to imagine it. N-R-G-L is what it sounds like. Pronounce u and e however you like, it is a fantasy game!

Tzeentch - To me, it is like a snake trying to say ''change''. I usually pronounce it cheng, zentz, ginj which isn't right...

Generally the way I see it , the names of the Chaos Gods shouldn't have a deterministic pronounciation because they are Chaos!

theunwantedbeing
15-12-2011, 19:35
Khorne - Quorn
Tzeentch - Change
Nurgle - gurblurghblgh!
Slaanesh - *******

On a more serious note (yeah the above was not serious, except maybe the Tzeentch one :rolleyes:) I pronounce them as follows:

Khorne
kaw-nn (all one syllable)

Tzeentch
tuh-zinch (wrong and should be Zinch like Tzar but it's force of habit from years ago)

Nurgle
nerr-ghul (similar to Nazgul only without the daft inflection or whatever it is arragorn from lord of the rings does to make nazgul sound quite strange)

Slaanesh
Slah-Nesh

SanDiegoSurrealist
15-12-2011, 19:50
It is the stuff of Chaos! So couldn’t ALL pronunciations be correct? It even says in the fluff that they are all known by many names, some names that are not even comprehensible to the limited minds of mortals?

Gunless Ganger
15-12-2011, 20:23
i guess:
khorne sounds like born
nurgle like purple
tzeentch like mitch
slaanesh like vanish.

Why does this keep coming up??? It's soooo obvious.

Khorne - Ch-orn-ee - Like a combination of 'Choose' and 'Journey' - was explained to be the God one worships when they choose the journey of the warrior.

Nurgle - Gurgle

Tzeentch - "Zee" - all the other letters are silent as befitting the god of scheming tricks

Slaanesh - ES-el-lay-annie-eesh - Every letter has to be stretched out excessively.

This is the only correct way to pronounce them.

w3rm
15-12-2011, 20:42
corn= khorne
Nurr gul= nurgle
zeen ch- tzeentch
slay uh neesh= slaanesh

ivan55599
15-12-2011, 21:42
Khorne - khorne
Tzeentch - zteentch , teentch, steentch
Nurgle - nurgle, nurrrrggle(!), nurgl, nörgl, nörgul
Slaanesh - slaanesh