PDA

View Full Version : Warp Lightning Canon and Obstacles

Borgnine
15-12-2011, 13:54
Hello,

In the past we've played that if a warp lightning canon shot bounces through an obstacle it destroys the obstacle and stops just like a normal canon would.

Given the new FAQ, I'm not so sure this is the case. The FAQ now states that if the warp lightning fails to kill a monstrous infantry (etc) model, the lightning keeps going and further models are hit, unlike how a normal canon works.

In the rule book, the topic of obstacles and monstrous infantry (etc) comes up under the 'which models are hit' heading, but the warp lightning canon entry clearly states how the models are hit and so I think that this section of the rule book does not apply to the warp lightning canon (which is why the FAQ ruled as it did).

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

woodster17
15-12-2011, 14:02
I always tend to go with the army book rules on when making a judgement call over the rule book. I'm pretty sure this is the generally accepted way of doing things.

You raise an interesting point though.

dementian
15-12-2011, 14:43
The way my friends and I play is that you do the "bounce"and place the small template. Anything in that line is hit and obstacles do not stop the beam.

Malorian
15-12-2011, 17:27
The FAQ seems to give it more weight to not stopping. It's still not 100% and I think by RAW it still would stop (as it's not listed as an exception), but I would now argue that by RAI it would go through.

decker_cky
16-12-2011, 00:54
The FAQ seems to give it more weight to not stopping.

I think that's a fair implication of the FAQ. The FAQ is obviously based on the rules replacing a section from the basic cannon rules, the rule about obstacles stopping cannon balls is from the same section which must have been replaced.

Zentdiam
16-12-2011, 07:17
There is no definite here. We have always played that the line and then template goes through everything and hits everything touching it no matter what. We also play it doesn't destroy terrain as it is lightning and probably wouldn't really blow something up as much as give it a nasty static shock. But that is just how we always did it and in no way RAW.

Mid'ean
16-12-2011, 11:41
We also play it doesn't destroy terrain as it is lightning and probably wouldn't really blow something up as much as give it a nasty static shock. RAW.

Apparently you have never seen what an actual lighting strike can do. A bolt can travel at 140,000 mph and is as hot as 54,000 degrees F. A little more than just a "nasty shock"........:evilgrin:

Toe Cutter
16-12-2011, 11:55
Except when its strength 2 and just gives you a fancy new hair style.

Skipschnitz
16-12-2011, 23:25
I'm cool with that FAQ as I thought that the "bounce" rule for a lightning blast was silly anyway. It and the Doomwheel should have the same rules for its lightning blast. They were "anything in its path" in prior editions, so no big change there.

dementian
17-12-2011, 16:29
Hey guys, expanding off on Warplightning cannons shooting...where does the models draw its line of site from? Does it go by where the cannon can "see" which would be able to shoot over units in front of it, or be unable to see over units in front of it and therefore have to place its first shot marker behind that unit.

When I put together my WLC I used the "tallest" instructions to build it. This led to my friend saying he would then use a super large flying pin for his great eagles so he can see over everything and be able to fly past units anytime because it can be seen, and that he would put his repeater bolt thrower on stilts then...

So where do I draw my line of sight for my WLC.

Borgnine
17-12-2011, 16:35
I would say that you draw LOS from the barrel.

He's just being a *********. You weren't modeling for advantage since that is one of the recommended ways to build the WLC.

Also, even in the smallest config it can see over most things anyway.

AMWOOD co
17-12-2011, 16:38
So where do I draw my line of sight for my WLC.

The mouth of the barrel of the cannon.