PDA

View Full Version : You know you're addicted to your army when...

vinush
15-12-2011, 17:33
Last week I rolled up to my gaming group with my empire army, or so I'd intended. When I opened the boot of the car I discovered I'd left my army book and case at home, and all I had with me was my Empire "project" box containing my painting in progress stuff and a few models I didn't have room in my case for.

It was too late to go home and get my stuff as I was opening up, so I had to try and make do withthe stuff in my project box. Imagine my surprise when the following happened:

A) I knew the points costs off by heart for my army and could put an army together without the army book.

B) I had enough in my projects box for a legal army of around about 1750 points. I had to use the powder monkey as a wizard, and a regular standard bearer as my Battle Standard, but other than that it was all good.

This got me thinking. I have so much stuff for my empire army for my own good.

When did everyone else realise they had too much stuff?

THE \/ince

Morkash
15-12-2011, 17:41
I don't know. As Greenskin and Warriors of Nurgle player I follow the simple idea of not having too much stuff until I have every armylist choice twice. While the Greenskins are nearing that border, WoC just took a huge step "back" with the release of Tamurkhan.

But on the point cost thing...same thing here. Forgot a mini? No problem, I've got the armylist in my mind anyways. Even goes as far that I can check enemy armylists on tournament, since I know their army better than they do themselves sometimes. :p

Ah well...reading my own text, I get the slight feeling of spending to much ti...whatever. :shifty:

popisdead
15-12-2011, 17:46
C) they are Wood Elves or Beastmen.

Tuttivillus
15-12-2011, 17:49
THE \/ince

I don't know for sure, but i remember when i had not enough stuff, and it was just after i bought 8th ed. rulebook :D
But seriously I am empire player too, and after finishing building up my foot troops i started my massive Knight horde project, and i think i am getting there. God, it's so easy with ebay LOL

vinush
15-12-2011, 17:54
I don't know for sure, but i remember when i had not enough stuff, and it was just after i bought 8th ed. rulebook :D
But seriously I am empire player too, and after finishing building up my foot troops i started my massive Knight horde project, and i think i am getting there. God, it's so easy with ebay LOL

QFT here man.

Since 8th came out, I really want to boost up my knight unit to massive proportions, but I no longer have the paint I used for the originals, and it no longer exists so I may have to strip and repaint my old ones or just mix and match within the unit (Not too sure if this would work?)

THE \/ince

Luigi
15-12-2011, 18:01
A) I knew the points costs off by heart for my army and could put an army together without the army book.

B) I had enough in my projects box for a legal army of around about 1750 points. I had to use the powder monkey as a wizard, and a regular standard bearer as my Battle Standard, but other than that it was all good.
THE \/ince

A) depending on what else you do beside warhammer (I mean other hobbies, work, family, time spent with friends NOT talking or thinking about warhammer) this can either be that you spend too much time with it or that you just have a good memory, in which case my congrats!:D

B) For my (only) army, dwarf, I do not have any 'proper' BSB nor do I intend to buy one, I just use a regular dude with a propery converted banner, with a few runes on the flag itself, and that's it. Even for my eroes, beside a few gifts from a friend I use ust regular troops properly converted and painted with different weapons and shields (a bit like a unit champion)

Tuttivillus
15-12-2011, 18:04
I bought 30 knights on sprues for 25 pounds. I am planning to get a citadel spray gun with proppelant and chainmail + black wash. I think It will be my lightspeed painted horde! Maybe i will do a project blog in january and we will see how it goes :D

Malorian
15-12-2011, 18:12
I have 10k+ of orcs and goblins and of lizardmen.

I don't feel any 1 army is too large, but I think it's a bit too much to have 2 large armies.

The thing about these though is that they are big because there are so many choices. It's not like I have a ton of any one kind of unit, I simple have each of the choices a couple of times so I can make any themed army I want.

boli
15-12-2011, 18:28
Re: You know you're addicted to your army when...

...you build another army *just* for your better half just so they can't berate you for spending so much :P

minionboy
15-12-2011, 20:55
I knew I was addicted to my Ogres when I went to a Brazilian BBQ place and ate a bunch of chicken hearts because I'm sure an ogre wouldn't have minded...

WarmbloodedLizard
15-12-2011, 20:58
I don't know, I never had too much of an army. I just stop buying things when I think I have enough to field the lists I want (so around 4-5kpts I guess). (I'd rather have more armies :D)

Skywave
15-12-2011, 21:33

For me, I think it's when I consider getting more of something I already have plenty off, only because I found a good deal. For exemple I'm looking from time to time on ebay for the very sweet 5th edition Grave Guards. Now I won't pay the average price for them (around $5~8 a pop) simply because I have already more Grave Guards than I will ever field. But if I was to find a great deal I would definitly get some, simply because it's cheap despite not needing them at all. Or when I'm looking for the old "Altdorf" Halberdier (old 4th edition monopose plastic), I say to myself that again I have enough Halberdiers for my own good, but if I was to find them for cheap, I would get some I think!

That's mosly for when it's a model or scult I don't already have, so it would be a "new" unit of sort. I won't look for more of what I already have as I got my units to the desired size.

Since 8th came out, I really want to boost up my knight unit to massive proportions, but I no longer have the paint I used for the originals, and it no longer exists so I may have to strip and repaint my old ones or just mix and match within the unit (Not too sure if this would work?)

I think if you like your previous paint job, keep them and just do your best to get close to the original color with the newer ones. All mixed up together shouldn't look that bad.

zak
16-12-2011, 00:45
I don't think I will ever have enough, although the wife would disagree. I am certainly addicted and even when I own every unit in an army I am still looking at the shiney new models and replacing the old ones. Still need my army books though. My memory just isn't that great.

Lorcryst
16-12-2011, 00:59
QFT here man.

THE \/ince

Regarding your colours, Coat d'Arms may be your saviour ... they were the original manufacturers of GW paints, they still have the same huge range of colours, and you can find pots on websites like Maelstrom Games ...

On topic, with my Night Goblins I can make some lists in my sleep, but for my other armies (Orcs, other greenskins, WoC, DoC, Beastmen, Empire, Dwarfs, High Elves and a bit of Skavens) I need my army books ...

But having too much minis ? Can't happen :p

The Low King
16-12-2011, 01:02
yeah....i can quote you most of the points costs in the dwarf book...that includes almost every rune...

A good sign is also when you are buying models because you like them rather than because you need them...

Jind_Singh
16-12-2011, 01:18
I know when I'm addicted when:

1) I have over 14,000 points of Orcs & Golbins but I still don't have enough Orcs & Goblins
2) I have my Orcs & Goblins T-shirt from when I was 18 (now 34) which I take care of better than myself or my wife (It's my precious!)
3) I spend a fair bit of time everyday on the hobby - from being on Warseer reading/typing about my hobby, building or painting models, playing games, writting army lists, or pretty much anything hobby related
4) My idea of a great time is any time dedicated to the hobby
5) When asked by the wife what would I save if the apartment was on fire....1st thing that came to my mind was my Orcs & Goblins. Infact I even have a plan for them - wrap the cases in the duvet, tie a knot in it, and throw it out the balcony!

Timed fire drills commence in the new year...... (Just joking but seriously that would be a good thing to practice...mmmm)

6) I spend waaaay too much on the thing and have no will power to stop

7) I will remember anal things about the hobby, fluff or rules, but will forget to make my lunch sometimes (or other things!)

8) I am always looking for new things to work in the hobby - so right now in my 'storm of magic phase' of collecting and painting my monsters!

9) I go out of the way to help people back into the hobby as I want more hobby addicts!

So yes - I am an addict but a happy one

Eddie Chaos
16-12-2011, 01:23
When the taking of skulls spills over in to non gaming related activities.

dimetri1
16-12-2011, 02:12
When 8th addition came out and I realized I already had enough troops for all my armies to go hoard. In fact a few units are now obsolete.

Gertjan
16-12-2011, 11:24
Hmm, I realized I had quite a bit of orcs when like above 8th edition came along and I had no trouble ranking most infantry (and cavalry aswell btw) choices I had in the book up in one (or more) horde units. that made me think for a bit to be honest. But I've always had one or two big armies, with allt he others being pretty small. Don't see a problem with it, as long as it stays with those 2 armies I couldn't care less. My small fanatsy armies are all around the 2-3k mark while my orks have passed the 10k mark a loong time ago.

ihavetoomuchminis
16-12-2011, 11:42
Not adicted to 1 particular army, but addicted to models....and you realize that when you sum all the points you have, taking in account all the armies, and it sums up to 25000 points. It also helps the fact that everytime you open a random box in your room, you find a couple of sealed boxes you don't remember buying.

Jim
16-12-2011, 12:01
I'm currently having a loft conversion done (new bedroom, ensuite & study/hobby room - YAY!!!) and had to remove all of my GW stuff prior to work commencing - its ridiculous how much I have...currently taking up the whole of our double size shed, boxes in the conservatory, WD magazines, army books and painted armies in the bedrooms - I've taken over the whole house!!!

Will have to consider a clearout in the New Year when the conversion is completed to fit everything back in!!!

Jim

Morkash
16-12-2011, 12:10
A good sign is also when you are buying models because you like them rather than because you need them...

This. I know this effect so very well and can just not avoid it. My DoW army was entirely made on it, in fact... The Jabber falls into this category as well and the urge to buy it was strong indeed...until the Ettin was released, bought that one instead. :p

So yes - I am an addict but a happy one

Wise words from Jind. Nothing to add. :D

Infern0
16-12-2011, 13:24
I guess, when I had nothing to do, as all my friends were at school and i don`t go to school in England, I went to local GW and spend a few hours there every day doing some hobby stuff..

also at weekends, when some big games were going to happen, I went to GW about 40 min early(sometimes it worked for me, as i got an old wh40k badge( and there were only nine of them) for the WD birthday, on the bank holiday we had an ogre pit fighting contest, where I was the first one to pick a pit fighter)

Dreadlordpaul
16-12-2011, 18:12
You know your addicted like me when you build 2 battalion boxes in one day

Tuttivillus
16-12-2011, 18:16

yes! i think we have a winner!:D

vinush
16-12-2011, 18:20

I have to agree.

Dreadlordpaul
16-12-2011, 18:21

Haha I built them both in one day to get my first 2k warriors of chaos army which included converting a chaos lord out of one of the chaos warriors :p

vinush
16-12-2011, 18:21
Haha I built them both in one day to get my first 2k warriors of chaos army which included converting a chaos lord out of one of the chaos warriors :p

In that case I withdraw my accolade...

THE \/ince

The Low King
16-12-2011, 19:08

My best is a battalion box, a box of warriors and some slayers in one day because i wanted to try a Dwarf strollaz list.....

Dreadlordpaul
16-12-2011, 19:09
My best is a battalion box, a box of warriors and some slayers in one day because i wanted to try a Dwarf strollaz list.....

I think you may have beat me :D

vinush
16-12-2011, 19:14
My best is 3 boxes of Saurus warriors, 2 boxes of skinks, a box of Saurus Cavalry, a Stegadon and 5 characters made from bits from all of the boxes.

THE \/ince