PDA

View Full Version : 1000 point high elf army

Greatwood
15-12-2011, 19:31
so this is the first army i am going to play with fantasy, i've built some others just for fun but i actually get to play this weekend so i made this based off of what i own.

Mage level 2, Seerstaff of Saphery, (and the one that gives him a ward save, cant remember the name) and i think i might go with flames of the phoenix and one other one.

2 sets of 10 Archers one with a full command unit (hawkeye, musician, standard bearer) to round out points, with light armor.

1 block of 20 Lothern Sea with shields, Lion Standard (immune to terror) Sea Master, Musician, Standard Bearer

10 Sword Masters of Hoeth Standard of Balance Bladelord, musician, Standard Bearer, Helm of Fortune on the blade lord

i'll either be fighting chaos warriors, dwarves, or vampire counts. maybe skaven. any tips greatly appreciated.

calnen
15-12-2011, 21:04
Like look a good intro list :)

Some suggestions...
Call the Seaguard either spearmen or archers, whichever you prefer. For a unit of 20, either option is more points-effective. (Archers, probably, so your whole army is defensive. You can use the seaguard models as the rear rank of all the archers units).
Similarly, drop the immune to terror banner - it won't do a lot. Add as many swordmasters are you have models for! They rock.

Enjoy gaming!

NightHawk45
15-12-2011, 21:23
lvl 2 mage can only have 50pts of magic items... the seerstaff takes up enough so that you can't take a decent wardsave. You could the get 1 shot ward save for 15points. But that's about it.

Personally, I'd cut the seaguard to get one of our special type troop choices. They will do you much better.

Greatwood
15-12-2011, 21:40
the thing about the seagaurd is they are the models i have. i bought two of the isle of blood boxes.

honestly i chose high elves cause i love the griffon models.

Greatwood
15-12-2011, 22:50
i do have some phoenix gaurd. but i dont know if i can fill out my core requirement with them

Greatwood
16-12-2011, 17:51
lvl 2 mage can only have 50pts of magic items... the seerstaff takes up enough so that you can't take a decent wardsave. You could the get 1 shot ward save for 15points. But that's about it.

Personally, I'd cut the seaguard to get one of our special type troop choices. They will do you much better.

talisman of protection gives a 6+ ward save for 10

ftayl5
17-12-2011, 01:22
^ Yes but 6+ Ward saves do nothing on 2 wound characters.
The archers don't need command, hawkeye is a total waste of points and the banners are only good for the blood and glory mission. I'd definitely drop the Hawkeye, and drop a banner from one of the units.

Sea Guard are alright, though I think if you just turned them into archers they would perform better.

Drop the lion standard, it won't do much (as calnen said)

Drop the standard and bladelord on the swordmasters, not worth the points.
At the very least, remove the magic standard and the helm of fortune; it will do literally nothing to help you and is a waste of points on a Bladelord. Standard of Balance is just too costly for its highly situational effect.

So with all of those trimmings (the standard of balance, the helm of fortune, the 2 hawkeyes, 1 archer standard, the LSG champion, the lion banner, the bladelord and the sword master standard bearer) gives you 159pts

Which you should use to buy a unit of dragon princes which combined with the masters will give a very good counter attack.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
17-12-2011, 03:03
so this is the first army i am going to play with fantasy, i've built some others just for fun but i actually get to play this weekend so i made this based off of what i own.

Mage level 2, Seerstaff of Saphery, (and the one that gives him a ward save, cant remember the name) and i think i might go with flames of the phoenix and one other one.

2 sets of 10 Archers one with a full command unit (hawkeye, musician, standard bearer) to round out points, with light armor.

1 block of 20 Lothern Sea with shields, Lion Standard (immune to terror) Sea Master, Musician, Standard Bearer

10 Sword Masters of Hoeth Standard of Balance Bladelord, musician, Standard Bearer, Helm of Fortune on the blade lord

i'll either be fighting chaos warriors, dwarves, or vampire counts. maybe skaven. any tips greatly appreciated.

At 1000 pts. you be better off without the bells and whistles approach you currently have now.

The mage is fine with just Seerstaff if you go with high magic (my suggestion is to get the Shield of Saphery as your second choice you have a defensive spell). If you're looking to spend the full allottment for magic items then the Amulet of Fire would be a good choice that combos well with the SoS spell.

As for troop choices since you own mostly the IoB sets I'd suggest the following:

2nd Lvl. Mage with Seerstaff: 165 pts.
2x Archer Regiments of 10 archers with Std. & Musician: 250 pts.
2x Regiment of 14 Swordmasters with full command: 480 pts.
1x Ellryian Reavers with spears & bows: 105 pts.

Total: 1000 pts.

You now have two hard hitting close combat units, 3 units that can shoot, and a unit that can act as a fast reaction force.

I hope that helps.

calnen
17-12-2011, 10:07
At 1000 pts. you be better off without the bells and whistles approach you currently have now.

The mage is fine with just Seerstaff if you go with high magic (my suggestion is to get the Shield of Saphery as your second choice you have a defensive spell). If you're looking to spend the full allottment for magic items then the Amulet of Fire would be a good choice that combos well with the SoS spell.

As for troop choices since you own mostly the IoB sets I'd suggest the following:

2nd Lvl. Mage with Seerstaff: 165 pts.
2x Archer Regiments of 10 archers with Std. & Musician: 250 pts.
2x Regiment of 14 Swordmasters with full command: 480 pts.
1x Ellryian Reavers with spears & bows: 105 pts.

Total: 1000 pts.

You now have two hard hitting close combat units, 3 units that can shoot, and a unit that can act as a fast reaction force.

I hope that helps.

Isn't that over the special limit? (Reavers are special, right?)

Greatwood
19-12-2011, 23:46
the bells and whistles approach is mostly because of my limited models. we never actually played this weekend due to flakyness so now i am going to set up my actual list and buy to fill it out, yay for payday weeks =P

lots of good advice here too, thanks!

20-12-2011, 02:08
Isn't that over the special limit? (Reavers are special, right?)

Whoops didn't catch that one (I sometimes forget that Reavers are part of special units). Good call. I would have suggested 2 Great eagles or a bolt thrower but I wasn't sure if Greatwood had any.

If he doesn't have those then I guess Greatwood can make a single SM unit with 15 models with the Bladelord equipped with a Ironcurse Icon for a 5x3 frontage, give the Mage a 20 pts. magic item, and use the rest of the points for more archers & maybe give one of the archer regiments the Banner of Eternal Flame for my suggested list.

@ Greatwood, if you haven't already I recommend investing in two Great Eagles. They have a multitude of uses for a HE army.

Athariel
20-12-2011, 10:33
My 1000 point list based on the IOB models is as follows.

Mage
Level 2
Seerstaff of Saphery

25 x Seaguard
Full Command
Shields

18 Swordmasters

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Bows
Harbinger

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Not an uber uber list but does ok for me using IOB models.

I like Seaguard as you have limited units at 1000 points and Seaguard give some flexibility.

zielonkak
20-12-2011, 12:39
Use eagles instead

Greatwood
20-12-2011, 22:46
are great eagles all that good?

zielonkak
21-12-2011, 00:34
yes they are awsome.

Greatwood
21-12-2011, 17:27
thanks for clearing that up lol

zielonkak
21-12-2011, 22:56
haha...no problem....i dont really play HE but i play against them and eagles are so good

22-12-2011, 03:01
are great eagles all that good?

Great Eagles are useful for:

1) Attacking warmachine crews

2) Boxing in units (if used in pairs) also known as caging the mammoth/elephant either by preventing them from turning or marching.

3) redirecting charges

4) In a pinch they can act as sacrificial chickens (to draw out stand & fire reactions, draw out goblin fanatics [I forgot what they are called now], baiting frenzied troops, etc.

cwfitz
02-01-2014, 19:08
So i'm just starting as well and would like to share my 1000 pt. list for review as well.

Archmage (Lore of Life)

Mage (high lore)
Lvl 2
Elven steed
Ithilmar barding

Lothern Sea Helm
Bow

20 Sea Guard
Full command

10 Swordmasters
Full command

5 Dragon Princes