PDA

View Full Version : Black legion or word bearers

eldarlordx2
20-04-2006, 15:56
After many battles with myself ive narrowed it down to these 2 armys, Black legion or word bearers. I dont have the chaos codex so I dont know much about either army, or what units they might include, what I do know is word bearers have a nice paint sceme and go heavy on demons and black legion can include anything, does that include daemon princes?. Anyway i'd like to include 20 marines,2 units of blood letters, a sorceror, a daemon prince, and mabye a defiler in my army. My question is which one of the armys can field these units best, and in your experience which is the funner to play with or against.
Thanks for any replies.

Wraithbored
20-04-2006, 16:08
Well I am a Word Bearer player, but he bLack Legion MIGHT be more suited to you due to the fact it's based on the vanila dex. The Word Bearers however are the "Black Templar of Chaos" if you will, so if you prefer zounds of demons I'd go for them but both legions can field "anything" however the word bearers get bucket loads more demons than anybody else.

Eldanar
20-04-2006, 16:10
Either army would be fine, and could field all that you have mentioned.

BL is basically generic Chaos (but with an actual legion and name) and can field everything. This is where you might have units with all 5 marks as well as unmarked marines running around. Completely fluffy and legal.

Word Bearers might be interesting because you could field a DP with a 4+ inv. save due to the crozius save. However, you will be pigeon holed into Chaos Undivided or unmarked (I think) only for your marines.

Both armies play very similarly to one another; and where you lose some options going from BL to Word Bearers, you also gain some nice replacement abilities and rules.

BTW, this thread should probably be in the tactics forum.

Wraithbored
20-04-2006, 16:14
Either army would be fine, and could field all that you have mentioned.

BL is basically generic Chaos (but with an actual legion and name) and can field everything. This is where you might have units with all 5 marks as well as unmarked marines running around. Completely fluffy and legal.

Word Bearers might be interesting because you could field a DP with a 4+ inv. save due to the crozius save. However, you will be pigeon holed into Chaos Undivided or unmarked (I think) only for your marines.

Both armies play very similarly to one another; and where you lose some options going from BL to Word Bearers, you also gain some nice replacement abilities and rules.

BTW, this thread should probably be in the tactics forum.
Not really since it's a debate over armies and not army lists and tactics with said lists. :)

Da Reddaneks
20-04-2006, 16:20
only advice that really needs to be said is go buy a codex and read the rules before you decide which army you will play. both can be great.

Large and Moving Torb
20-04-2006, 16:29
Well, I have a Black Legion list as my main army. It's also the first army I ever made. But if I had it to do all over again, I'd actually do Word Bearers. So that's my vote. Unfortunately, I started painting and bought models BEFORE reading the whole codex. Ah well, such is life.

Icewalker
20-04-2006, 16:33
Depends on what you feel happier with. I personally am not a huge fan of daemons in that they are somewhat expensive and then again, annoying as hell. I would take myself a Bloodletter heavy army of guys. That is if I'm playing Word Bearers. Bloodletters and Flamers. Just make sure you have some guys who carry standards in case your character w/ the crozius dies (although unlikely).

glückliches Gemetzel

onnotangu
20-04-2006, 16:42
make the Word Leigon. a ruthless band of cuthroat rappers and beat poets bent on bringing down the man through mad skillz on the mike and the battlefield.