PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 30K: Summer Campaign

theDarkGeneral
16-12-2011, 19:01
I couldn't find a current post on this, however if i missed it, by all means close this thread.

Soooo, apparently the new Warhammer 30K Campaign is indeed slated for this coming summer, and there's a lot of buzz from the GW staff about it.

I've been asked (along with my gaming club) to help prepare for it, as we do, building large scale armies. Apparently some rules packets will indeed come out, but not sure if it's just White Dwarf articles, or if it's an actual Campaign Codex. It'll be stretched out over the course of the summer, through out the Black Library collection, and each weekend will feature a particular battle from one of the books. Istavaan III and V were specifically mentioned to me as examples.

New sprues and small model range to be released as well, and at least one "old school" vehicle?

White World Eaters here we come!!!

Hokiecow
16-12-2011, 19:04
Sounds more like a local event. I can't see the company leaving out all the xenos.

Malakai
16-12-2011, 19:15
Why would GW do a campaign on the 30th millennium when this summer is 6th edition release time?

SunTzu
16-12-2011, 19:26
No chance. HH will be in IA13 (well, the equivalent book, as presumably it won't be named "IA") and that's a Forge World thing, GW won't touch it, just as FW won't cover the Siege of Terra before BL do.

Nazerth
16-12-2011, 19:40
No chance. HH will be in IA13 (well, the equivalent book, as presumably it won't be named "IA") and that's a Forge World thing, GW won't touch it, just as FW won't cover the Siege of Terra before BL do.

Where are you getting this from? FW keep stating over and over again on their Facebook page that they would like to do something for the Heresy but its not a plan they have even fleshed out, let alone actually started.

I'd love it if that has changed, but I doubt it.

Inquisitor Kallus
16-12-2011, 19:50

Sorry, did you just say 'thats a FW thing?' because last time I checked they werent in charge of GWs IP...

Scalebug
16-12-2011, 20:27
Why would GW do a campaign on the 30th millennium when this summer is 6th edition release time?

This is also why I raise a sceptical eyebrow... I see nothing wrong with some on-line themed scenarios and maybe a new kit or two (possibly "while stocks last"...) to go along it, but an entire campaign, like those of yesteryear would simply leave out too many armies, or at least severely having to shoehorn
them into the storyline...

It's not really about leaving all Xenos out, in fact Orks and Eldar (of various hues) would probably be the armies that would best fit with their current lists in both the 41st and 30th millenia. Those, and Daemons...

Tau, Grey Knight, Black Templars and Sisters of Battle didn't exist at the time, and even lists like (all) loyalist Space Marines is not really represented as they were in the heresy, to larger or smaller degrees. Chaos Marines neither. although they are closer.

Tyranids would really have to stretch the old "possible forgotten hive fleets reported by imperial historians as something else" angle, and I have only skimmed the re-booted Necron background, but I guess that would go for them as well...

Jericho
16-12-2011, 20:42
While I dearly wish this would come true at some point (who doesn't want plastic pre-heresy Terminators, plus Primarchs and Custodes!) I don't think it'll happen yet.

As mentioned earlier, they would be crazy to jump the gun and do this before the HH novel series reaches its culmination. Releasing an expansion alongside the climactic novel would be bloody amazing in terms of cross-promotion.

Doing this at the tail end of 5th or the very beginning of 6th would also take all of the attention away from the new starter set/rulebook, which would be silly.

I see it being 2013 at the absolute earliest, with 2015 being more likely. Obviously that's not based on anything in particular, except giving BL some time to finish things up and GW some time to get 6th ed 40k in order.

As for the other races? IG obviously existed. Sisters of Battle and Sisters of Silence are close enough. Orks and Eldar still work with no problem. Necrons and Tau probably wouldn't be around yet and Tyranids would likely be a big stretch. That's not too bad for having some guys watching on the sidelines of the campaign.

Rogue Star
16-12-2011, 20:45
Fantastic. Exactly what we needed. Retro-Marines. :p

Theocracity
16-12-2011, 20:54
I can't help but feel like this is some Forge World content that's being garbled. They're doing 30K Marines, and probably will use them in an upcoming book - are you sure it's not related to this, not any of GW proper's plans?

otakuzoku
16-12-2011, 21:03
my main question is WHY ?
sure pre HH would be cool. but it douse not really forward anything. and with 6th ed on the way it would be a good excuse to change the galactic landscape and who controls what and were the main conflict zones are.

Inquisitor Kallus
16-12-2011, 21:08
my main question is WHY ?
sure pre HH would be cool. but it douse not really forward anything. and with 6th ed on the way it would be a good excuse to change the galactic landscape and who controls what and were the main conflict zones are.

because its cool...........

SunTzu
16-12-2011, 21:25
Where are you getting this from? FW keep stating over and over again on their Facebook page that they would like to do something for the Heresy but its not a plan they have even fleshed out, let alone actually started.

I'd love it if that has changed, but I doubt it.

Call it a birdy tweet. A whisper in the wind.

ghost21
16-12-2011, 21:34
Sounds more like a local event. I can't see the company leaving out all the xenos.

the only thing ive realy heard was a special box of 30k variants
oh n a jetbike

theJ
16-12-2011, 22:22

A local event with models on the side?

Doubtful...

I trust in the schmexy ghost, so I'll believe him/her when he/she says there'll be a few models out, but I'll agree that a large scale campaign sounds unlikely - Unless it's a forgeworld thingy.

Rogue Star
16-12-2011, 22:34
oh n a jetbike

30K variants of what? Space Marines? Space Marine vehicles?

theDarkGeneral
16-12-2011, 22:50
It's designed to be an "in store" campaign, not sure if regular GW stores will be officially running them or not, I just know that the Battle Bunkers across the US will.

The info comes straight from GW, and their respective Bunker managers and old area directors.

Why do it? Because it's an easy sell for something NEW and NOSTALGIA! And an easy testing ground/waters for GW when it comes to Heresy stuff...if it goes well, perhaps more from the Horus Heresy will be released? That I have no clue on.

I just know that this summer will be a small campaign based on 30K, and each weekend will feature a different battle. (or maybe every other weekend, i'm not 100% on number of games)

GreyishKnight
16-12-2011, 23:27
Calling out rubbish fanboy wishlisting over this rumour. As Scalebug and other have already said, such a campaign would alienate the players for at least half the codices out there.

Ravenheart
16-12-2011, 23:31
It's the summer of heresies! :shifty:

crandall87
16-12-2011, 23:34
If this is true I will have a major nerdgasm! Then I'll empty out my wallet on everything 30k related.

ghost21
16-12-2011, 23:51
30K variants of what? Space Marines? Space Marine vehicles?

1 of each legion

Galvatron1701
17-12-2011, 00:09
It's designed to be an "in store" campaign, not sure if regular GW stores will be officially running them or not, I just know that the Battle Bunkers across the US will.

I can understand them doing a limited store only campaign in the USA using existing models and FW, but if the rumour of new models is true (even if its just a sprue) why would GW limit the possible sales to just the US?

Of course they could release these rumoured models around the globe without the campaign, but surely a Heresy era sprue would sell better to the general public when backed up by the stores and WD?

Joewrightgm
17-12-2011, 01:17
This sounds really cool, and I'm betting this is where the rumors of Horus Aximand come from.

I'm looking forward to it though, especially if we get mass-market versions of the great Forge World armor marks in the form of plastic kits, and it would be awesome to see a "Dramatis Personae" kit with characters from each legion.

LotusCorgi
17-12-2011, 08:14
A box of marines from each pre-heresy legion would be great if they were all named characters from fluff or literature.

Rogue Star
17-12-2011, 08:37
1 of each legion

1 Marine of each Legion in a box? Or a box for each Legion?

The later seems pretty major if true as that's 18 boxes.

DarkMark
17-12-2011, 09:20
Marines are a cash cow, find a different way to milk said animal and you're laughing. Silly not to really.

Harry
17-12-2011, 09:23
oh n a jetbike

1 of each legion

1 Marine of each Legion in a box? Or a box for each Legion?

The later seems pretty major if true as that's 18 boxes.

What I heard was a box with the bits to make different legions.

But I thought this was something to do with Chaos Space Marines and the kit including various heads, spiky bits and icons to make different flavours of Chaos Marines.

It is possible this might be something different and nothing to do with this.

It is also very possible that I am confused about things. :D

As some of you know I am not really up on the 40K side of things and I tend to hear things by accident and not really a)take much notice. b) know what it means. :shifty:

Not heard 30K mentioned before. when I read the thread title I assumed it was a typo.:D

Snorlaxboom
17-12-2011, 09:24
if i remembered this right, the forge world seminar back in sep/oct forge world said a Warhammer 30k Campaign/Rulebook is in the works

t-tauri
17-12-2011, 10:01
if i remembered this right, the forge world seminar back in sep/oct forge world said a Warhammer 30k Campaign/Rulebook is in the works

That wasn't mentioned at GD UK except as something they'd like to look at doing long term. That line was taken consistently by a number of FW staff. Tony Cottrell took a straw poll for early terminator variants in the seminar and it was almost unanimous in favour. That was more of a continuation of the power armour/early vehicle variants than Warhammer 30k.

The whole Warhammer 30k thing starts to look like tempus fugitives Age of the Emperor (http://www.tempusfugitives.co.uk/component/content/article/4/15-age-of-the-emperor) campaign.

theDarkGeneral
17-12-2011, 11:03
I find it entertaining that players think that every Campaign has to fully include every Codex. I believe the old Eye of Terror was more focused on Chaos and the Imperials, though other alternative lists existed for other Codexes.

If in doubt, call down to your local (if you have one nearby) Battle Bunker and ask the store manager about the Warhammer 30K summer...

What i'm REALLY interested in, as Harry has already alluded to, is the sprue releases for upgrades, to change basic Marines/Chaos Marines into Legion specific ones!!! I believe this is a tester trait, that GW is undertaking. And, it really makes sense. There's 9 Legions of Imperials, and Chaos. That'd be 18 different Marine Boxes (especially if each had their own Codex). Or, just one Marine and one Chaos Marine boxed set, with upgrade sprues available for purchase to make the generic boxed sets a specific Legion!

philbrad2
17-12-2011, 11:36
A 'Legions' box set to coincide with the Chaos Legions codex has been muttered about for a long time so nothing really new here. Although I hope for the Legions box set(s) they do make the CSM's more with earlier marks of armour.

As for a 30K campaign next year a) GW have always said as a game they wouldn't go near 30K with a 10 ft pole b) With a new edition of 40K coming along GW dont run any campaign events as the new rules come into play.

I think this is a local thing and not a GW worldwide campaign - Look at it this way, what if there was and the Warmaster's forces won? It would turn 40K upside down. EoT advanced the 40K timeline very slightly and we're stuck now at 999 M.41. GW aren't advancing this currently and the Heresy is still an unfolding story via BL with a good few years left in it yet. FW type campaign weekends, perhaps, but it would mean FW releasing a supporting book/ruleset again unlikely as there's nothing been forthcoming from FW from memory 2012 projects would include more Guard and possibly some Chaos, DE projected IA book has been pushed back. 30K worldwide campaign simply doesn't fit with what GW have been saying for all the years I've been playing 40K. And as I say with 40K 6th ed on it way for next summer a worldwide campaign is a big no-no. My two penneth ...

PhilB
:chrome:

ehlijen
17-12-2011, 12:05
I think this is a local thing and not a GW worldwide campaign - Look at it this way, what if there was and the Warmaster's forces won? It would turn 40K upside down. EoT advanced the 40K timeline very slightly and we're stuck now at 999 M.41.

The EoT campaign hasn't really changed a thing. Cadia is still there (with its own model range), chaos still attacks wherever the heck it wants and Eldrad still gets included in Eldar Codices despite being dead.

Throw in how the chaos horde reached middenheim in Storm of Chaos despite being beaten at every turn on the way in, and there could easily be a campaign with a preset outcome and nothing but bragging rights for the winner.

Though I still doubt there will be. A worldwide campaign that excludes Tau, Necrons, Nids and all successor chapters just isn't going to happen.

Ozorik
17-12-2011, 12:19
Though I still doubt there will be. A worldwide campaign that excludes Tau, Necrons, Nids and all successor chapters just isn't going to happen.

Nor should it. No campaign can possibly include every single army that GW produces without taking ridiculous methods to cram everything in.

An Imperial Vs Chaos campaign with some Ork and possibly Eldar pirates would have much more fluff consistency and would make a stronger campaign.

I can't see a Warhammer 30k campaign ever happening. Aside from the fact that the outcome shapes the entirety of 40K fluff; modern armies can't represent Heresy era armies (IG used to have land speeders for example) and it simply too large scale. There could be a small scale event (a single planetary invasion for instance) but what would be the point?

I am all for the inclusion of heresy era vehicles and equipment in the Legions book (my death guard already contains a lot of RT weapons and vehicles) and from Forgeworld but that's about it.

Skaven13
17-12-2011, 18:39
Going backwards eh? Wasn't there a rumor (or rumors) going around that 6th edition was finally going to push the plotline & timeline forward a bit this time? Would seem kinda confusing and silly to be going backwards and forwards at the same time.

MajorWesJanson
17-12-2011, 21:02
What i'm REALLY interested in, as Harry has already alluded to, is the sprue releases for upgrades, to change basic Marines/Chaos Marines into Legion specific ones!!! I believe this is a tester trait, that GW is undertaking. And, it really makes sense. There's 9 Legions of Imperials, and Chaos. That'd be 18 different Marine Boxes (especially if each had their own Codex). Or, just one Marine and one Chaos Marine boxed set, with upgrade sprues available for purchase to make the generic boxed sets a specific Legion!

To be fair, many of the Loyalists already have kits that do that- Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels all have plastic kits that are chapter/legion specific. We could just see more of the same- just instead of focused on armies that have books coming out, pick various legions. Just a single box set with parts to upgrade Pa and TDA models, like the current Black Templar sprue or the Dark Angels vet sprue.

StraightSilver
18-12-2011, 01:34
It is quite possible that they are cashing in on the very successful Tempus Fugitives weekends which run at Warhammer World in the UK.

These are specific 30K campaign weekends but are run by an external club.

However they are very poplular and there are no doubt more than enough people with Pre Heresy armies to get involved, but I suspect that as they have approached gaming clubs it will be seperate from GW.

Tempus Fugitives have a very extensive selection of campaign rules and army lists which they use at their events so I am sure GW will put something together on their events page to go along with this.

In terms of FW doing pre Heresy stuff, it is more than possible, and I can corroborate Ghost21 regarding Jet Bikes certainly being discussed as I saw proof of this at Lenton today.

I don't know if they will be making them, but they were certainly discussing them, along with other pre Heresy stuff.

KarlPedder
18-12-2011, 04:07
Nor should it. No campaign can possibly include every single army that GW produces without taking ridiculous methods to cram everything in.

But running a campaign where certain armies aren't in the narrative is one thing, and as you say going to be a tighter narrative by not having to shoehorn every faction into being invloved (at least from a narrative POV). However running a campaign where army x can't be involved because they don't exist at this time like Tau or weren't here/awake yet like Tyrainds/ Necrons is a very different animal.

Calgar 2.0
18-12-2011, 05:33
Maybe a 2nd Invasion of Terra?

ehlijen
18-12-2011, 05:46

An Imperial Vs Chaos campaign with some Ork and possibly Eldar pirates would have much more fluff consistency and would make a stronger campaign.

Not including everyone isn't the same as exluding some people. A 30k campaign would basically mean by friend, who plays Nids and Necrons couldn't play. Of the three armies I have (Marines, IG and Tau) only the IG could play because the marines are a successor chapter. And if Xenos not getting play isn't enough, that last part is important: All those people who have not painted their marines in one of the 18 known legion colours, would not fit in any better than their nid/cron/tau friends.

Part of what makes 40k so popular is that you get to make up your own chapters/regiments/craftworlds/clans and whatnot and their colour scheme. It makes no sense for GW to launch an official campaign where the non existance of all bar 18 marine legions is a known fact.

MadDoc
18-12-2011, 06:38
Oh no. People might have to buy new armies, why on earth would GW ever do a campaign that required that...

I see no problem with the idea, and as mush as I'd love for it to happen I do have my doubts as to whether it will.

Ozorik
18-12-2011, 09:32
Part of what makes 40k so popular is that you get to make up your own chapters/regiments/craftworlds/clans and whatnot and their colour scheme. It makes no sense for GW to launch an official campaign where the non existance of all bar 18 marine legions is a known fact.

Orks and Eldar where there in abundance and the Imperial army played as much a part in the great crusade/heresy as the Marine legions. You could even use Tau, 'Nids and the like as exterminated alien races.

Almost all 40K races have an equivalent in 30k its just that they often don't fit all that well and all inclusive campaigns simply don't function well due to how the 40k background works.

Lord Damocles
18-12-2011, 10:41
You could even use Tau, 'Nids and the like as exterminated alien races.
I'm sure that would make Xenos players feel so much better...

ehlijen
18-12-2011, 12:34

This, and it still doesn't help successor chapter players from fitting in like Elves in a flames of war game.

Ozorik
18-12-2011, 15:42
Well there simply is no way to include every single race and faction in a single campaign without it being obviously contrived, its as simple as that.

Korraz
18-12-2011, 16:22
You are right. That's exactly why making a SPACE MARINES (and some dudes) vs SPACE MARINES (and some dudes) campaign is a marvellous idea. It kicks everyone idiotic enough to play something else than SPACE MARINES right in the balls! Ha-ha! Those suckers! No Orks, no Eldar! Those crapraces had no place in the Glorious Master Race War! No Tau, no Necrons, no Nids! Who needs that bull? Just give more development time to SPACE MARINES!

Anyway, I'm not buying this 30k buzz. I wouldn't expect anything else from FW, since "SPACE MARINES vs the irrelevant guys that get shot and then somehow the Imperium loses" is their thing, but GW wouldn't go that far.

philbrad2
18-12-2011, 16:42
This has devolved way away from its original rumour content and until something more substantial comes along. Moving it to 40K GENERAL to discuss further.

PhilB
:chrome:
+ =I= + WarSeer Moderation Team + =I= +
WarSeer Posting Guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_posting_guidelines)
The WarSeer FAQ (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php)
The WarSeer Moderation/Posting/Forum guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=the_forums#faq_rules)

Inquisitor Kallus
18-12-2011, 17:01
You are right. That's exactly why making a SPACE MARINES (and some dudes) vs SPACE MARINES (and some dudes) campaign is a marvellous idea. It kicks everyone idiotic enough to play something else than SPACE MARINES right in the balls! Ha-ha! Those suckers! No Orks, no Eldar! Those crapraces had no place in the Glorious Master Race War! No Tau, no Necrons, no Nids! Who needs that bull? Just give more development time to SPACE MARINES!

Anyway, I'm not buying this 30k buzz. I wouldn't expect anything else from FW, since "SPACE MARINES vs the irrelevant guys that get shot and then somehow the Imperium loses" is their thing, but GW wouldn't go that far.

Overly churlish response there. It is something a bit different, and indeed it may be restricted to a number of different races/armys, but sometimes that happens. It doesn't stop people from playing normal games against people, indeed, it might give them the incentive to set up their own campaign.

Why don't you stop moaning for once and go play some games of whatever it is you want to play these days. It might put a smile on yout face:D

ehlijen
18-12-2011, 21:33
Well there simply is no way to include every single race and faction in a single campaign without it being obviously contrived, its as simple as that.

Yes, but there is not including a few races and there is excluding quite a lot of races.

The Tau weren't really included in Eye of Terror, but neither were they exlcuded by virtue of not existing.

And saying that you can't include all is no excuse to not try to exclude as few as possible.

baphomael
18-12-2011, 23:52
Overly churlish response there. It is something a bit different, and indeed it may be restricted to a number of different races/armys, but sometimes that happens.

I remember, several years back, Battlefront running a Flames of War global campaign. However, my Soviets couldn't participate as it was the wrong theatre completely, as such I didn't participate... better red than dead ;).

I didnt get all ******** over it, I didnt throw a hissyfit, I appreciated it was a historical recreation of an even that would not, necessarily, include all WWII belligerents.

Korraz
19-12-2011, 00:04
However, the equivalent to the Horus Heresy would be a campaign of training skirmishes between Americans and Americans.

Ozorik
19-12-2011, 01:44
However, the equivalent to the Horus Heresy would be a campaign of training skirmishes between Americans and Americans.

Oh really? Don't you think that you are completely ignoring all the combatants who didn't wear power armour? The colossal Imperial armies for instance, their traitor counterparts or the countless Ork Warbands? It is however far to large a scale to be handled by a 40k campaign.

And saying that you can't include all is no excuse to not try to exclude as few as possible.

Actually it is; the more you include the more contrived the setting becomes. There is a reason why most FW campaign books focus on 2 main adversaries (even if one of them is the Imperium) possibly with the inclusion of a peripheral force or 2.

Chem-Dog
19-12-2011, 02:04
I think this is a local thing and not a GW worldwide campaign - Look at it this way, what if there was and the Warmaster's forces won?

The only thing that defeated "Chaos" was a Hail Mary in the dying seconds. What would be more worrying for timeline issues would be if Horus and his cronies got kurb-stomped halfway across the Galaxy without ever getting to Terra....Forces of Chaos utterly routed, the Imperium ascendant. The Secular Truth uniting the Galaxy once more and then the Emperor gifts humanity the webway. Exit any Xenos Threat, Exit Chaos....

In the glorious brightness of the far future there is only minor skirmishes as misguided individuals are shown the true path to happiness and fulfilment.

:shifty:

I dunno, the chance to stand in for one of the many races that got trampled, and bloody a few Astartes noses on the way would be enough for some :)

Anyway it'll be interesting to see how this pans out, Harry and Ghost seem to have scented something but I'm not entirely convinced it's much more than a range of Direct Only bitz kits making the jump from nast-bad-evil-metal to plastic or resin, possibly with a few campaign ideas thrown in.
It might be as simple as an Apocalypse Book angled specifically at Heresy era engagements with a few token bits thrown in....

And I'd REALLY like an army of Geno Five-Two.....

zerodemon
19-12-2011, 03:32
Probably won't happen. Would be cool though. Setting a campaign during the 30th millennium era can be very rewarding. Many forces already existed then, and if you take the Tempus Fugitives example of pre- and during-heresy armies as an example, the forces play with an awful lot of variation.

Logically though, the only playable forces are

Space Marine Legions
Traitor Legions
Chaos Daemons
Orks
Eldar
Imperial Army
Dark Eldar

Excluding Sisters of Battle, Tyranid, Grey Knight, Tau, Necron and non-legion astartes isn't the GW way, especially when you consider that more than half of these have a recent codex.

strongbow
19-12-2011, 10:01
Probably won't happen. Would be cool though. Setting a campaign during the 30th millennium era can be very rewarding. Many forces already existed then, and if you take the Tempus Fugitives example of pre- and during-heresy armies as an example, the forces play with an awful lot of variation.

Logically though, the only playable forces are

Space Marine Legions
Traitor Legions
Chaos Daemons
Orks
Eldar
Imperial Army
Dark Eldar

Excluding Sisters of Battle, Tyranid, Grey Knight, Tau, Necron and non-legion astartes isn't the GW way, especially when you consider that more than half of these have a recent codex.

I agree with what you say about the various races. However I do think it's possible to improvise to fit in other races.

As people have already said, other alien races can be used as planet natives. While yes, eventually the Imperium did defeat them, who's to say it happened immediately? A Tau 'counts as' native army could easily defeat space marines on a world. Not every world would have been a pushover to the Imperium. It's not a done deal. Tau could also just count as a society of advanced humans with alien allies that don't want to join the Imperium.

Sisters of Battle and Grey Knights could be other elements of the Imperium. Someone mentioned Sisters of Silence? Obviously they aren't the same, but for the purposes of this, they'll do. Enough people as counts Custodes as Grey Knights, it could be done here. Otherwise, just count them as loyalist space marines of any legion you want (they're all psychers - maybe make them the combined librarius of a legion?)

Necrons and Tyranids - can be natives of a world (either highly advanced aliens/humans not wanting to join the Imperium) or as insectoid aliens on a death world. They don't have to be Necrons or Tyranids. Or as someone else said, they can be Necrons and Tyranids but the Imperium just doesn't know what they are.

As for remaining loyalist astartes - just pick a loyalist legion for them to be. They're all successors of someone - just make them be their parent legion. E.g. if they are of Rogal Dorn geneseed, just count them as Imperial Fists. Easily done if you ask me.

So yeah, I don't think it would be that difficult at all to fit in other races/armies as long as some imagination is used.

MagicHat
19-12-2011, 11:14
I don't have my necron book at hand, but isin't it implied that there were Necrons awake around the Heresy, even if they were few? I remember that Trazyn were about at least.

jmefr8
19-12-2011, 12:52
Could be released as a 40k version of the warhammer campaign book released by the white dwarf team last month. Seems the perfect way to do a HH campaign to me, that way people can ignore it if they want. Although to be honest I think I would rather see forge world do it as a series of IA books. Not sure everyone would agree with me though seen as they've released 2 marine v marine books already.

GrogDaTyrant
19-12-2011, 18:36
I dunno, the chance to stand in for one of the many races that got trampled, and bloody a few Astartes noses on the way would be enough for some

Maybe for some. Not for me. I've already grown too distant from 40k as it is. I've got better games to play with my time, than to take part in a marine-fest campaign. Kudos to the Imperium/Chaos players that would be interested in this kind of thing. I'll be spending the time building upon my already massive Soviet force in FoW.

Harwammer
20-12-2011, 00:01
I'm somewhat amused at the suggestion that a 30k campaign would rewrite much of the 40k fluff... Then again, the world has been such a better place since those german historical battle recreationists won world war one and rewrote the 20th Century last Thursday!

Okay, a 30k campaign is more likely to be pitched as a 'recreate the epic battles of the HH' or 'can you command the legions of chaos better than Horus', etc thing than 'determine the future of the future'.

ehlijen
20-12-2011, 00:10
I'm somewhat amused at the suggestion that a 30k campaign would rewrite much of the 40k fluff... Then again, the world has been such a better place since those german historical battle recreationists won world war one and rewrote the 20th Century last Thursday!

Okay, a 30k campaign is more likely to be pitched as a 'recreate the epic battles of the HH' or 'can you command the legions of chaos better than Horus', etc thing than 'determine the future of the future'.

There is a slight difference between toy game campaign affecting made up event and toy game campaign affecting actual history.

The Horus Heresy is just a made up story, and stories can be rewritten. And if this supposed campaign is anything like Eye of Terror, Armageddon or Medusa V, as has been suggested, then story rewrites based on the outcome would be an actual possibility, unlike historical wargames affecting actual history.

wolfspider
22-12-2011, 04:42
oh n a jetbike

OK what if this turns out to be an new box set of the original Rouge Trader RT001 box updated with today's technology for the 25 year anniversary? That box had a lot of cool bits and with the new technology it would be AWESOME! :eek: I am just saying,,,,!

omegoku
22-12-2011, 15:24
The HH campaign would not affect the known timeline.
It would be a "recreate well known battles and see if you can alter the outcome" style thing.
The HH has been pretty unchanged for over 2 decades. It is being fleshed out now, but I seriously doubt they will alter the climactic end!

RT001 box re-release would be awesome. I'd be compelled to buy one

Dreadlordpaul
22-12-2011, 15:46
If I remember correctly at the start of the flight of the eisenstein wasnt the marines fighting some tyranids along side some other imperial forces

Gorbad Ironclaw
22-12-2011, 18:56
The Horus Heresy is just a made up story, and stories can be rewritten. And if this supposed campaign is anything like Eye of Terror, Armageddon or Medusa V, as has been suggested, then story rewrites based on the outcome would be an actual possibility

Right after or even during GW releasing a massively(?) popular book series about those same events? That would seem to be just about the worst time to ever do something like this. "Here are the Horus Heresy series of books. This is how things used to be but now we have changed all of it, but do go and buy it anyway".

If you have just gone through and detailed the Heresy in exhaustive details you are not going to launch a campaign event that will change things. So that leaves us with the options of a campaign where everything is precisely scripted and nothing the players do makes any sort of difference or have the campaign set in a tiny out of the way corner of the Heresy where it doesn't matter what happens anyway. Neither I think would be very satisfying to the people who would actually be interested in this.

Oh, and as for excluding armies, not even all the Legions should really participate. Wasn't the Ultramarines effectively diverted to the Eastern Fringe and didn't actually take part in any of the real fighting? And the only place you would really find the Traitor legions all gathered together would be Terra, where most of the Loyalist legions wasn't present. So it would be very hard to make a Heresy campaign that makes sense for even the Legions, let alone anyone else. Unless of course you just want to handwave it and say "It's sort of during the Heresy, just go and play and stuff might happen".

Calgar 2.0
22-12-2011, 21:07
If I remember correctly at the start of the flight of the eisenstein wasnt the marines fighting some tyranids along side some other imperial forces

No....... not at all. It was the Jorgall(?) I believe. There were no Tyranid incursions yet.

ehlijen
23-12-2011, 12:42
Right after or even during GW releasing a massively(?) popular book series about those same events? That would seem to be just about the worst time to ever do something like this. "Here are the Horus Heresy series of books. This is how things used to be but now we have changed all of it, but do go and buy it anyway".

Which is why I don't think why this campaign won't happen at the scale suggested.