PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone missile wolf guard in a long fang pack?

jack da greenskin
17-12-2011, 20:43
Hey all, I'm running 2 squads of long fangs in my space wolf army, and due to the fact I'm taking atleast 5, possibly 10 wolf guard, I'll have the ability to equip one or both squads with a wolf guard in terminator armour, with a cyclone missile launcher.

But should I?

A long fang packs of 5 LF, 4 missiles and a sarge weigh in at 115pts. Widely regarded to be brutally efficient and decently cheap.
A wolf guard in termie armour with said launcher is 63 (!) points. He adds an extra 50% firepower to the unit, but is he needed, and 63 points is a lot to spend on one model.

Has anyone else tried this and found it effective?

ehlijen
17-12-2011, 23:11
Cyclones are good. But you're probably better off putting them into squads that could benefit from mobile firepower, rather than support units that will sit still. Half the value of the cyclone is that the terminator carrying it still gets to bring his CC weapon closer to the enemy while firing it.

Xerkics
18-12-2011, 01:48
Will it look cool? Are you looking for efficiency ? IF yes then dont add it . If you want them to look epic then yes, alternatively if you can give him an assault cannon that might be an option that ll also look cool and be good against any infantry or light vehicles that might wanna harass you.

fubukii
18-12-2011, 03:44
its a good idea and it increases the durability of the long fang pack. You usually dont see them in other squads because then the unit can not hop in a rhino or razorback, so they are best in long fang or scout units. Alternatively if you want to be a baller you can take a land raider.

Wayland3r
18-12-2011, 08:53
I can't speak from experience, but it I think the idea has merit.

It would look cool (the most important thing).
Point price per missile shot is comparable: LF=28.75 for one shot/turn, WG=31.5 for one shot/turn. So the price is reasonable in terms of damage output.
Gives you a 2+/5++ wound to play with (could be handy against AP3 shooting especially).
Gives the squad a power weapon, handy for fending off units which will attempt to disrupt your LF e.g. outflanking genestealers.
+ Intimidation factor.

Sounds good to me.

The Marshel
18-12-2011, 09:10
I can't speak from experience, but it I think the idea has merit.

It would look cool (the most important thing).
Point price per missile shot is comparable: LF=28.75 for one shot/turn, WG=31.5 for one shot/turn. So the price is reasonable in terms of damage output.
Gives you a 2+/5++ wound to play with (could be handy against AP3 shooting especially).
Gives the squad a power weapon, handy for fending off units which will attempt to disrupt your LF e.g. outflanking genestealers.
+ Intimidation factor.

Sounds good to me.

Never ever rely on a 5++ to save you're miniatures. Even a 4++ can be very dodgy. Do not put hits on the wolf guard thinking he'll save it, he wont and you'll be down a lot more then if u had just given it to a long fang

As for the intimidation factor, long fangs are already pretty intimidating. 4 missiles is scary enough, 6 hurts more but doesn't really change what units fear the unit, light vehicles are still in serious trouble, infantry will hurt more, but we're again in serious trouble to begin with anyway. there is a certain point where being more of a threat doesn't add at all to the intimidation factor of a unit.

More to the point, Do you wan't your longfangs to be the scary as unit your opponent goes to great lengths to kill? Intimidation is only useful if it achieves something, such as a land raider redeemer's flamers keeping units from getting to close to the raider. So any additional intimidation you way gain from the wolf guard has to achieve something to be worth counting in the decision.

Personally, i think the long fangs have enough missiles already to seriously hurt any targets from long range. the value of the cyclone missile launcher is the mobility of the platform, which is lost in the more static long fangs. I'd rather have the CML in a grey hunters unit or similar

Wayland3r
18-12-2011, 09:39
Never ever rely on a 5++ to save you're miniatures. Even a 4++ can be very dodgy. Do not put hits on the wolf guard thinking he'll save it, he wont and you'll be down a lot more then if u had just given it to a long fang

Fair. But a 2+ comes in very handy against AP3 weapons. Admittedly not a game-changer though.

Intimidation is only useful if it achieves something, such as a land raider redeemer's flamers keeping units from getting to close to the raider. So any additional intimidation you way gain from the wolf guard has to achieve something to be worth counting in the decision.

In this case it would be attracting extra firepower from the opposition, drawing fire from your mid-field units.

Personally, i think the long fangs have enough missiles already to seriously hurt any targets from long range. the value of the cyclone missile launcher is the mobility of the platform, which is lost in the more static long fangs. I'd rather have the CML in a grey hunters unit or similar

Fair, though the long range of the CML dilutes the necessity of the mobility somewhat in my mind.

Serpent
18-12-2011, 10:36
I'd run the CML in a small unit of Grey Hunters. This unit could grab home objectives and still be something of a threat. The Long Fangs benefit a lot more from a "naked" Wolf Guard (BP&CCW). And the mobile CML could get side armour shots a lot more if it's in a moving unit.

If you want something that gives the Long Fangs a bit more versatility, I'd put a Rune Priest with Living Lightning with them.

The Marshel
18-12-2011, 10:43
In this case it would be attracting extra firepower from the opposition, drawing fire from your mid-field units.

Fair, though the long range of the CML dilutes the necessity of the mobility somewhat in my mind.

It's a matter of if it would draw a significant amount more firepower with the CML in the unit, and personally i wouldn't feel any more inclined to attack the unit with or without the CML, as 4 missiles is already enough of a threat to warrant my attention.

Additional mobility isn't all about additional range. You're able to get a better angle on the shot and advance towards the enemy whilst firing at full power. Given the CC ability of a wolf guard being able to advance whilst firing the CML is pretty useful. The wolf guard can also fire the CML, then assault. Two krak or frag missiles into the opponent before assaults being is very handy and is something you miss out on by putting the CML with the long fangs.

Rai_st
18-12-2011, 20:06
If you are looking for a good source of extra firepower you can try what I've been doing lately; buy a 5 man grey hunter squad, bare bones, and purchase a twin-linked lascannon razorback for them. They sit on your home objective playing cards in their pimp-mobile whilst the servitors shoot AP2 shots at enemy tanks.

A razorback is only 7 more points than your Wolf Guard model and infinitly more durable. It also has the advantage of giving your opponant yet another model to worry about.

If you really like ten man squads of Wolf Guard try using two Missile Launchers and 8 combi-weapons in two drop pods. But at that point you are probably using Logan Grimnar and spending 850+ points on two troops and a HQ.

As always use the rule of cool - if you like it, play it. Worry about what's useful some other game.

cuda1179
18-12-2011, 22:26
I've been the victim of a Long Fang unit with 5 lascannons, a Cyclone Terminator and the Character (is it Logan?) that makes everyone relentless, shoved into a drop pod. Try having that rammed down your throat when you played 3rd edition Necron. It roasts Monoliths good.

Toadius80
24-12-2011, 05:09
Add 1 more missile launcher and the cyclone. Pure evil. One of my mates fields it as pretty much a standard issue. Very effective against pretty much everything. 7 missiles a turn are pure evil as either a carpet of frag or popping armour. Added they can split fire makes them near as effective as 2 codex marine dev squads.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk