PDA

View Full Version : 2,000pt Beastmen

Trick
19-12-2011, 07:52
Looking to expand my small Beasts army after really enjoying it so far. In small games my level 3 Great Bray has been invaluable and the two individual Razorgor have been fantastic at warmachine hunting and getting flank/rear charges when I need them (not to mention taking a lot of artillery fire that would otherwise be aimed at my battleline). I've also really enjoyed my 20-strong Gor unit, but not had too much success with my Ungor.

Lord
Great Bray-Shaman; Level 3, Lore of Beasts, Additional Hand Weapon, Jagged Dagger
212pts *joins the Bestigor

Heroes
Wargor; BSB, Beast Banner, Gnarled Hide , Heavy Armour
206pts *joins the Gor

Bray-Shaman; Level 2, Lore of Shadow
110pts *joins the Gor

Core
40 Gor; Full Command, Additional Hand Weapons
345pts

25 Ungor; Ungrol; Banner, Musician, Spears
234pts

25 Ungor; Full Command, Spears
155pts

8 Ungor Raiders; Musician
51pts

8 Ungor Raiders; Musician
51pts

Special
40 Bestigor; Full Command, Standard of Discipline
525pts

Razorgor
55pts

Razorgor
55pts

Total: 1,999pts

So, Ungrol's unit and the second Raider unit can go in ambush if I think the situation warrants it. Other than that, I like a good solid battleline where the Great Bray and Battle Standard will sit in the centre amongst the Bestigor. To one side of them will be the Gor led by the shadow shaman (who, if need be, can use his wizardly ways to swap places witht he BSB if the Gor need a bit more muscle in a fight, though that shouldn't happen to much) and then the Ungor on the flanks. The two Razorgor act as missiles who thunder down the flank towards any warmachines or light units and hopefully soak up fire. Against gunlines I've had a degree of success using the Raiders as a missile screen for my general's regiment and will keep that option in mind. Otherwise they're on the flank of the army looking to shoot down or engage fast cavalry and other flankers.

Any help or advice?
Cheers,

Trick

HalfBlood
20-12-2011, 03:14
My problem with this list is the fact that it seems like their is one big and scary unit (Bestigors).

I feel their isnt enough units to distract enemy units. I am a fan of minotaurs, i suggest bringing them in.

colonel kane trine
20-12-2011, 06:03
Wheres the beasts banner :p
Id add a few small units of raiders to distract and redirect
Maybe make ungrols unit into a horde and add 10 raiders in 2 units of 5

mrtn
20-12-2011, 13:58
Putting the Gorebull with the bestigors means that you rob them of their best feature, Primal Fury.
Personally I'd much rather take a Wargor BSB with the beast banner (and gnarled hide, heavy armour and shield which is the usual build) in a bigger gor unit. This way you have two units with a good damage output and not just one.

I'd only take the herdstone with at least two shamans parked beside it, having the level 2 join the gors mean that you either have to stay back and camp with your whole army beside the herdstone, or it's useless.

Trick
21-12-2011, 15:18
Thanks for all the advice. I'd forgotten about the Gorebull cancelling out Primal Fury, my bad! Though a Frenzied horde of Bestigor could be fun too!

If I made Ungrol's unit into a horde, it would take away my option of having him as an ambusher unless I took two hordes which would eat up quite a few of my points!

Minotaurs haven't impressed me so far. As much as I love the models, they don't seem to be worth the points like the Gor and Bestigor. Maybe that's the way I've been using them though. How do other people use them to success?

Beast Banner would be great, but I've never looked back since I started using the Standard of Discipline. Ld 9 Gor are a fantastic unit and I can't wait to try it on a Bestigor horde! Maybe I'll drop the Banner of Eternal Flame instead.

Right, I'll go away and have a meddle with the list and see what I can come up with!

Cheers folks.

Trick

Rosstifer
23-12-2011, 02:13
Minotaurs haven't impressed me so far. As much as I love the models, they don't seem to be worth the points like the Gor and Bestigor. Maybe that's the way I've been using them though. How do other people use them to success?

The only way to competitively use Minotaurs is in a "Minobus". Basically, you take a hard as nails Gorebull, another hard as nails Gorebull BSB and a mind numbingly face stomping Doombull. Then 6 next to naked Minotaurs. Run the 3x3, with the whole front rank made up of the 3 characters.

Essentially, the Minotaurs become glorified wounds for the characters. With 3 of the nastiest characters in Warhammer in the front rank the unit can chew through pretty much everything. Plus it looks really cool. Does limit the rest of your army though.

I personally run a Minobus and it's great fun, and competitive, however, it needs to be 2400pts or so to work properly; at that level you can take a Great Bray Shaman as well as the Doombull.

Trick
31-12-2011, 07:13
Hi again,
I've tweaked that list, and made the Gor more of a threat to support the Bestigor in the battleline.

The Gorebull is gone, as per the advice, and I'll look to Minotaurs if I push the army to +2,400pts instead.

I've also dropped the Banner of Eternal Flame, swapped it for the Standard of Discipline and picked up the Beast Banner for a decent combo for the Bestigor.

Finally I've given the Great Bray some new toys, notably the Jagged Dagger. I figure he's always been handy in a fight so why not make the most of that!

Thanks for the help!

Trick

mrtn
31-12-2011, 10:16
Have the BSB join the gors instead! He's overkill in the bestigor unit (they don't really need more than S6 most of the time), and he moves the gors from so-so to great by raising them from S3 to S4.

I played a siege game the other day and my beast banner gors were rock solid, beating marauders and big 'uns with ease. :)

Trick
31-12-2011, 18:39
Have the BSB join the gors instead! He's overkill in the bestigor unit (they don't really need more than S6 most of the time), and he moves the gors from so-so to great by raising them from S3 to S4.

I played a siege game the other day and my beast banner gors were rock solid, beating marauders and big 'uns with ease. :)

Ha, dur! Thanks for that, I had that realisation myself when I was thinking about S7 Bestigor.

Can't wait to try this list out!

Trick

Makaber
02-01-2012, 21:52
I like this list a lot. The two units of Ungors are something I haven't seen before but I don't see why it shouldn't work. Good luck! And tell us how it goes.

popisdead
06-01-2012, 20:45
The two units of Ungors are something I haven't seen before but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

It's an interesting trade off to kinda give up your Steadfast unit for a couple solid support units. I would recommend HW/Sh on both though.

Kinda making me interested to see how it turns out or use it myself.