PDA

View Full Version : Who plays EUII and/or Hearts of Iron?

salty
04-06-2005, 08:35
I play both of them and was interested how many other Portenters play them/have heard of them. If you haven't I recommend them both.

Salty :)

Archaon
04-06-2005, 10:20
I play Hearts of Iron 2 and am so satisified with it. Finaly a strategy game without the haste of modern RTS games where the one who knows the keyboard commands best and is the fastest mouse user will win.

I love the complexity, the fact that you can almost play any nation on earth during WW2 and the fact that i can win against the Soviet Union as Nazi Germany because i don't repeat Hitlers mistakes :D

One thing that was very fun during a game..in HoI2 it can happen that a government member of an autocracy or a dictatorship will express "contrary" views on politics and you can have him "disposed".

In my game Hitler himself rebelled.. :evilgrin: :D :eek:

And one other thing..this game also runs on the ancient PC of a friend of mine which is well below recommended or minimum specs for this game

sigur
04-06-2005, 11:27
I played Hearts of Iron for quite a time and found it to be quite amusing, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try HoI2.

salty
04-06-2005, 13:13
I haven't played Hearts of Iron II either (since I don't have space for it on my computer). But if the game runs on lower specs, great! On HOI I, there aren't rebellious politicians, but you can switch ministers and reshuffle the cabinet well before an election.

Europa Universalis II is pretty much the same, except its set from 1419 through 1820. You can be any country at varying periods in time, including the Native Americans, Ancient Japanese and Mameluks.

It differs from HOI in that you have colonists, diplomats, missionaries, merchants and ducats (money), and you have to create colonies and get trading monopolies and stuff. Like "Risk" but more advanced.

hairyman
04-06-2005, 14:00
EU2 is a great game.. just returned to it, actually, after getting bored of my current new games. Ottoman Empire here I come....

DisruptorX
04-06-2005, 15:43
I have HoI II. I do not play it often, but when I do, I play it for hours. Very fun game.

Opus T. Penguin
04-06-2005, 18:39
While I haven't played in about 6 months, I've played Hearts of Iron 1 for hours on end.

salty
04-06-2005, 20:20
EU2 is a great game.. just returned to it, actually, after getting bored of my current new games. Ottoman Empire here I come....

lol, I hate the Ottoman Empire so much it hurts; they just get everywhere, and they have thousands of troops!

I'm surprised at how few EUII players there are on here actually.

hairyman
04-06-2005, 21:20
The Ottomans are actually a bitch to play. You storm through up to about 1600, grabbing land like there's no tomorrow (I had a glorious Ottoman India thing on the go), but then it all starts to fall apart. Revolts, civil war, invasions from Austria and Russia... the c17th and c18th are bad times for the Ottomans.

My personal favourites are Denmark... if you can pull of the Union of Kalmar right then you have a great set up to compete with the colonial powers. Danish Australia is a thing to behold!

salty
05-06-2005, 09:32
I prefer Napoleonic France; now THATS a sight. Your tech level just powers up and up, and no-one apart from Britain can do anything to stop your expansion. If you defeat and conquer the Prussians and Austro-Hungarians, and time your attack on Russia right, you can have a blue Europe!

Although using the cheats with the Azteks was fun :D