PDA

View Full Version : Conquer the universe! Pre-Heresy space marines.

Pages : [1] 2 3

the damned artificer
21-12-2011, 14:26
So I bought a bunch of forge world stuff lately, and I am going to do a small force of crusade era marines. I am probably going to do them as Imperial Fists and because of that I've painted up a test model.

The stuff I have for the army so far are:

-A land raider proteus.
-A contemptor dreadnought.
a gw 2nd ed. landspeeder.
a bunch of FW marines.

And then the plan is to finish my Terminator project (see sig.) and add a squad or two of termies too.

Well on to the pics!

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-FWmarinemkIIarmour.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-FWmarinemkIIarmour1.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-FWmarinemkIIarmour2.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-FWmarinemkIIarmour3.jpg

Took me around 2 hours to paint him, and this is the way I figure I'll paint the entire force.

So what do you guys think??

tagsta
21-12-2011, 15:28
looks great! especially painting this fellow in 2 hours! cant wait to see the force!

the damned artificer
21-12-2011, 15:40
looks great! especially painting this fellow in 2 hours! cant wait to see the force!

Thanks man, good to see you around again ;) Judging from the feedback I've gotten so far on this guy on various fora I think it's pretty certain that I'll go with the Imperial Fists :D

igneous
21-12-2011, 16:11
how did you paint the chips on the armour. they came out great

Bigglesworth
21-12-2011, 17:59
Nice to see that you are on here as well as FW's page, My earlier comments still stand lol

the damned artificer
21-12-2011, 22:13
how did you paint the chips on the armour. they came out great

It's very simple, I just sponged chardon granite on and did a bit of highlighting around the chips :)

Nice to see that you are on here as well as FW's page, My earlier comments still stand lol

Thanks dude :) I've been kicking around in here a few years ;)

Hellbrandt Grimm
21-12-2011, 23:04
a gw 2nd ed. landspeeder.

Hum hum... Can't remember who used onu like this recently :)

Nice projet mate and realy nice testboy !!! I love the Imperial Fist chapter ! I'll look at this thread every time as I'll come on Warseer...

Keep up the good job dude...

the damned artificer
22-12-2011, 00:29
Hum hum... Can't remember who used onu like this recently :)

Nice projet mate and realy nice testboy !!! I love the Imperial Fist chapter ! I'll look at this thread every time as I'll come on Warseer...

Keep up the good job dude...

Thanks dude :D I'll be looking forward to seeing you around my thread :P

And yeah, who was that who used a 2nd ed landspeeder ?? :P Hehe it was actually yours that made me decide I had to use my own :chrome:

Apothecarian
22-12-2011, 01:19
Wow mate. If that was 2 hours, i would like to see what you can paint if yousit down for longer than that!

-Appthecarian

Residual Selfimage
22-12-2011, 07:14
Huhu,

Kudos on your Imp Fists! They do make the MK3 armour marks look even cooler than they are!
Also kudos for going for a PH army! A pain to built properly, but so worth it when done!

I have a 2nd and 1st ed Landspeeder flying around in my project log btw ;)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.951413,4.551174

Haywiregrenade
22-12-2011, 08:38
Someone else has joined the hallowed trail of PreH Yellow Fist action. Welcome to the club! Love the weathered look you have achieved. Only a very minor point would be a little mode depth of shading, but that could be personal preference or camera disguise.

the damned artificer
22-12-2011, 11:04
Wow mate. If that was 2 hours, i would like to see what you can paint if yousit down for longer than that!

-Appthecarian
Thanks mate, and let's see when I start on the contemptor dread :p

Huhu,

Kudos on your Imp Fists! They do make the MK3 armour marks look even cooler than they are!
Also kudos for going for a PH army! A pain to built properly, but so worth it when done!

I have a 2nd and 1st ed Landspeeder flying around in my project log btw ;)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.951413,4.551174
I think I'm at a point where I'd like to do a pre-heresy army, and do it properly :) But since I don't game there's no pressure to finish it fast or even make it game legal so it'll get a lot of fluff love :D

Someone else has joined the hallowed trail of PreH Yellow Fist action. Welcome to the club! Love the weathered look you have achieved. Only a very minor point would be a little mode depth of shading, but that could be personal preference or camera disguise.

Thanks dude, the shading is a bit more deep irl, but yeah it's a matter of personal taste :) I guess all the nice yellow in your threads finally got to me ;)

igneous
22-12-2011, 17:53
thanks for the tip. will have to use that one:):)

unwanted
22-12-2011, 19:32
Heeey, TDA, this looks sorta familiar, but very nice. Good work on that FW-marine, looking forward to seeing more of these.

shaw3029
22-12-2011, 21:57
Looking good!

Iron Warriors and Imperial Fists seems to be getting popular ;)

Looking forward to seeing the Land Raider and Contemptor Dreadnought. I've just ordered one for myself and am eying up the new armoured Landraider.

the damned artificer
22-12-2011, 23:04
thanks for the tip. will have to use that one:):)
Make sure to show your results here on warseer and let me know then :D

Heeey, TDA, this looks sorta familiar, but very nice. Good work on that FW-marine, looking forward to seeing more of these.
Hehehe yeah I couldn't resist the urge to paint yellow ;) And hopefully there'll be a contemptor dread soon for you guys to see :D

Looking good!

Iron Warriors and Imperial Fists seems to be getting popular ;)

Looking forward to seeing the Land Raider and Contemptor Dreadnought. I've just ordered one for myself and am eying up the new armoured Landraider.

Thanks dude, yeah they are getting really popular ;) The new fw kits are so great, and I am already planning on getting a deimos predator and one or two of the deimos rhinos :D

FabricatorGeneralMike
23-12-2011, 08:04
If you put as much attention to detail on these PH IF's as you did your titans and mechanicus stuff this will be amazing.

I can't wait to see what comes out of your Forgeworld TDA =o]

SDKFZ
23-12-2011, 17:44
Darn, missed this one :eek:

Nice marine, like the battered look on him. Didnt see that he had a mechaical arm til i looked the second time :D
Cant leave the admech completely, can you :p

Looking forward to see how you do your tank,dreadnought and speeder.

/ SDKFZ

the damned artificer
23-12-2011, 22:28
If you put as much attention to detail on these PH IF's as you did your titans and mechanicus stuff this will be amazing.

I can't wait to see what comes out of your Forgeworld TDA =o]
Thanks mate :) I don't plan on converting this force as much as the other projects I've done, this is mainly an outlet for a very big desire to paint yellow marines and pre-heresy stuff :D

Darn, missed this one :eek:

Nice marine, like the battered look on him. Didnt see that he had a mechaical arm til i looked the second time :D
Cant leave the admech completely, can you :p

Looking forward to see how you do your tank,dreadnought and speeder.

/ SDKFZ
Good thing you found it then buddy ;) hehe

And no, I have a hard time leaving the augmetics behind... So I'll probably have to make a pre-heresy techmarine as well :angel:

I'm working on the proteus atm, it's a nice kit but the track sections are so horribly annoying.... but I'll manage :P I should be able to start painting the proteus and contemptor on the 25th when I get home from Christmas at my mom's place :P

SDKFZ
24-12-2011, 12:14
Sounds great ! Looking forward to that update then, Mate.

Have a nice Christmas, Mate ! :)

/ SDKFZ

the damned artificer
24-12-2011, 14:11
Sounds great ! Looking forward to that update then, Mate.

Have a nice Christmas, Mate ! :)

/ SDKFZ

And a merry Christmas and happy holydays to you as well, and to the rest of warseer.

Gearhart
24-12-2011, 15:48
Wow he looks great, I can't wait to see what you do with the landraider. A beautiful painted thread indeed, can't wait for more. I will be following with great interest

the damned artificer
24-12-2011, 16:53
Wow he looks great, I can't wait to see what you do with the landraider. A beautiful painted thread indeed, can't wait for more. I will be following with great interest

Thanks dude, always nice to get some comments from other IF painters :D Hopefully the proteus wont disappoint ;)

Gearhart
24-12-2011, 21:26
Thanks dude, always nice to get some comments from other IF painters :D Hopefully the proteus wont disappoint ;)

after seeing what you di with then marine i have do dout it will look great! :)

Myelinated Axon
27-12-2011, 01:47
The stuff I have for the army so far are:

-A land raider proteus.

Nice looking stuff; I can't wait to see more! I have a quick question, though. Does the regular Land Raider Proteus kit have a hull-mounted twin-linked heavy bolter option included in it? According to the pics on the FW site, there isn't one in the regular Proteus kit, but there is one in the armoured Proteus kit.

Thanks!

the damned artificer
27-12-2011, 11:01
Nice looking stuff; I can't wait to see more! I have a quick question, though. Does the regular Land Raider Proteus kit have a hull-mounted twin-linked heavy bolter option included in it? According to the pics on the FW site, there isn't one in the regular Proteus kit, but there is one in the armoured Proteus kit.

Thanks!

Thanks :) To answer your question, no it does not. The sponson mounted twin linked heavy bolter is only in the armoured proteus set :) The regular proteus comes with the side sponsons (lascannons) and a choice to mount either a multi melta or a heavy bolter next to the cupola :)

Hopefully I'll be done with the contemptor tomorrow, so watch this space :chrome:

the damned artificer
28-12-2011, 00:27
I got a bit of work done on my contemptor, it's still wip and there's lots left to do but I felt it was worth showing of what I've done so far.

So here goes:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-wip1.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-wip2.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-wip4.jpg

And this pic is taken with flash to show of the yellow a bit more as it has some nice blends that's hardly visible on the other pics.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-wip3.jpg

Unfortunately my airbrush broke yesterday during cleaning, the nozzle broke in two... Luckily my father in law lent me his til I get a new nozzle for my own :D

SDKFZ
28-12-2011, 08:34
Great start ! Like the "Flash Gordon"gun :p
Love to see how it turns out when youve painted all the details.
It will look awsome !

Airbrush nozzle broken in two :eek: How did you manage that ???
Ive had mine for over 20 years and the only thing ive managed is to bend the needle :D

/ SDKFZ

Mascharius
28-12-2011, 09:42
Very nice.

The position of the Dread is so cool. Damn I really need one myself.
The yellow came out very nice. How are you making your damage? I mean with which colour?

Can´t wait to see it finished

Mascharius

the damned artificer
28-12-2011, 11:23
Great start ! Like the "Flash Gordon"gun :p
Love to see how it turns out when youve painted all the details.
It will look awsome !

Airbrush nozzle broken in two :eek: How did you manage that ???
Ive had mine for over 20 years and the only thing ive managed is to bend the needle :D

/ SDKFZ
Yeah the conversion beamer is so awesome, couldn't resist getting one :p

Well, I might have screwed the nozzle on too tight... Damn thing is probably the most expensive piece to replace... But I'll hopefully be more careful in the future :chrome:

Very nice.

The position of the Dread is so cool. Damn I really need one myself.
The yellow came out very nice. How are you making your damage? I mean with which colour?

Can´t wait to see it finished

Mascharius

Hehe well the position is nice, and guess what ;) I've magnetized the shoulders and articulated the arms so they can be posed as you like :D and the head has a magnet too so it can turn to face the enemies of the emperor when shooting them to pieces :D I'll take some pics of it soon :)

The weathering is actually just chardon granite sponged on and then it will have a few highlights of valejo flat yellow to make them pop a bit more :)

Hellbrandt Grimm
28-12-2011, 11:45
Nice mini mate !!

2 Things...

I thing you should put a wash of Devlan Mud/Badab Black on you metal, that will complet the "used effect" of the yellow parts battle damages.
Is the Machina Opus on right knee is on the FW kit or did you add it by yourself ?

Good job man !!
HG

the damned artificer
28-12-2011, 11:54
Nice mini mate !!

2 Things...

I thing you should put a wash of Devlan Mud/Badab Black on you metal, that will complet the "used effect" of the yellow parts battle damages.
Is the Machina Opus on right knee is on the FW kit or did you add it by yourself ?

Good job man !!
HG

Thanks mate :D All the metal areas will of course have appropriate washes to age them a bit, and the opus machina is made from a skull from the fw terminator pads (the ones with the crux terminatus) and the cog is from the fw Iron hands icon set, so no, it isn't in the contemptor kit :)

shaw3029
28-12-2011, 13:24
Thats a shame about your airbrush but this guy is Looking fantastic so far. The base is very well done and the white stripe on his helmet really works very well. I love the symbol on his left side.

Keep it up man. Cant wait to see it finished Ive just started working on my own.

Cheers!

the damned artificer
28-12-2011, 15:00
Thats a shame about your airbrush but this guy is Looking fantastic so far. The base is very well done and the white stripe on his helmet really works very well. I love the symbol on his left side.

Keep it up man. Cant wait to see it finished Ive just started working on my own.

Cheers!

Well, I can use my father in law's til I get the new part for my own so it's not that bad :) But hopefully it won't happen again :P

Which one of the icons do you like ?? The one on his left side torso (the iron halo) or one of the shoulder ones ?? :)

shaw3029
28-12-2011, 15:59
Thats not so bad. I busted my needle & had to order the part from america which was a pain.

I like the one on the torso although the others are cool the iron halo really suits well.

Space Fink
28-12-2011, 17:15
Looking good fella. Just joined after you suggested I should over on Facebook. Will post my stuff asap.. I do love the beam projector. Besides us pre heresy fist collectors need to stick together.

Rhaivaen
28-12-2011, 21:34
NIce painting on the yellow bits, though I have to say the metal on the dread looks to plastic-y..

the damned artificer
28-12-2011, 21:46
Thats not so bad. I busted my needle & had to order the part from america which was a pain.

I like the one on the torso although the others are cool the iron halo really suits well.
Yeah the iron halo is one of my favorite astartes symbols, and it is closely related to the great crusade as well so makes good sense to have it on pre-heresy marines. I actually bought the mkII shoulderpad from the red scorpion librarians honor guard as it has an iron halo on it.

Looking good fella. Just joined after you suggested I should over on Facebook. Will post my stuff asap.. I do love the beam projector. Besides us pre heresy fist collectors need to stick together.
Good to see you here mate! :D Yeah the beamer is awesome and I'm having a hard time letting my mechanicus urges go :P
I agree, we must stick together and make yellow the national colour of 30K :p

Gearhart
28-12-2011, 22:50
looking great the weathering is fantastic, its great inspiration :)

Morden279
29-12-2011, 10:21
Brilliant work; as posted elsewhere, your battle damage is astoundingly effective.

dirty_shank
29-12-2011, 12:15
You've done a really good job on that marine and the contemptor is coming along very nicely. There is something about that bright yellow that makes me feel all nostalgic and kind of screams pre-heresy if that makes sense? Im not usually too fond of Imperial Fsts but these are lovely. The forgeworld early armour variant kits are seriously nice, might have to pick some up sometime.

the damned artificer
29-12-2011, 21:52
Thanks guys, glad to have your support on this project :D

More progress done on the contemptor, pics will come tomorrow

shaw3029
01-01-2012, 20:40
How is the progress going on the Contemptor?

the damned artificer
01-01-2012, 20:50
How is the progress going on the Contemptor?

Very well actually :D I'll have some pics tomorrow for you ;D

SDKFZ
01-01-2012, 20:51
Sounds great, ill be waiting ! :D

Gott nytt år !

/ SDKFZ

OutOfContext
01-01-2012, 21:38
Now I remember why I have a soft spot for Imperial Fists :D
The contemptor is shaping up great, love the claw/conversion beamer combo. This is the only time I've seen they MkII armour and thought 'badass' too. Good job all round!

the damned artificer
02-01-2012, 14:49
Sounds great, ill be waiting ! :D

Gott nytt år !

/ SDKFZ
Og godt nytår til dig! :chrome:

Now I remember why I have a soft spot for Imperial Fists :D
The contemptor is shaping up great, love the claw/conversion beamer combo. This is the only time I've seen they MkII armour and thought 'badass' too. Good job all round!

Thanks dude, I'm glad you like them :D I gotta admit that it is even more satisfying to do pre-heresy marines than I imagined, so I might end up doing a lot more of this kind of projects :D

Cryptic
02-01-2012, 14:53
I love everything pre-heresy and heresy!! I love what you've done!

the damned artificer
02-01-2012, 14:57
Now to keep my word and throw up some further wip pics for the contemptor!

It still need some detail work but I'm getting there.
The arms have gotten a lot of work done to them, and the metals have been washed with a few different washes to age them and dirty them up a bit.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-wip-2ndshoot1.jpg

And a power pose.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-wip-2ndshoot2.jpg

The conversion beamer is shaping up nicely, and his personal insignia too.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-wip-2ndshoot3.jpg

The power claw with the graviton gun. the two pics are an attempt to show how the articulation is working. I split the fists icon in two to fit it, and it is now an integrated part of the shoulder articulation.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-wip-2ndshoot4.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-wip-2ndshoot5.jpg

Lastly I wanted to show the components for his arms, the way I've made him he can easily have a new weapon added to his armory.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-wip-2ndshoot6.jpg

aghast
02-01-2012, 15:00
Awsome stuff there!

SDKFZ
02-01-2012, 15:18
Looking awesome, Mate ! The metal areas benefited greatly from the washes.
Like the articulation and the magnety swappy ness. :D

As im not a SM player, im just curious, is the grav gun back ?

/ SDKFZ

Space Fink
02-01-2012, 15:22
He's looking splendid fella. I really need to get into this magnet malarkey.

the damned artificer
02-01-2012, 15:54
Awsome stuff there!
Thanks man :D

Looking awesome, Mate ! The metal areas benefited greatly from the washes.
Like the articulation and the magnety swappy ness. :D

As im not a SM player, im just curious, is the grav gun back ?

/ SDKFZ
Yeah magnets are awesome :P And yes, the nice blokes at forge world have brought the grav gun back :D

He's looking splendid fella. I really need to get into this magnet malarkey.

Thanks dude, yeah magnets can make a modelling project a whole lot more interesting, and I'd like to ha
ve some more weapons for this guy sooner or later :D

Morden279
02-01-2012, 17:03
Absolutely ace (of spades). I really like the copper metal of the zappy gubbinz in the conversion beamer. May I ask what paints you used? Be really appreciated. :)

rev
02-01-2012, 17:08
the weathered yellow looks great!

the damned artificer
02-01-2012, 20:07
Absolutely ace (of spades). I really like the copper metal of the zappy gubbinz in the conversion beamer. May I ask what paints you used? Be really appreciated. :)

Thanks mate, and sure you may :D the steel colour is Vallejo model color oily steal, washed with badab black and devlan mud. The copper colour is from Vallejo's range of alcohol based metallic paints called liquid gold. And the colour I've used is red gold, and then given it a wash with devlan mud for shading.

the weathered yellow looks great!

Thanks man, much appreciated :)

Mascharius
02-01-2012, 20:13
Looks very good.

The conversion beamer looks awesome.
How have you done the brazzen parts?
The Aces of Spades free hand is a cool plate.

Gearhart
02-01-2012, 21:38
beautiful mate hes stunning

shaw3029
02-01-2012, 22:31
Looking great! I like the background for your pics. Great idea!

Gonna have to get myself another one soon.

the damned artificer
03-01-2012, 12:53
Looks very good.

The conversion beamer looks awesome.
How have you done the brazzen parts?
The Aces of Spades free hand is a cool plate.
Thanks mate :D the conversion beamers brass parts are painted with vallejo liquid gold Red Gold and washed with devlan mud :)

beautiful mate hes stunning
Thanks man :)

Looking great! I like the background for your pics. Great idea!

Gonna have to get myself another one soon.

Yeah I'm tempted to buy another one myself, it's one of the best kits I've ever build. The idea with the book as a backdrop for my pics is something I've kindly borrowed (read stolen :P ) from my friend Ash here on warseer :)

tancrede
03-01-2012, 13:21
Very cool minis here, man !
The painting is really nice, and the base are simple but very effective.

Hope to see more of your stuff soon !

the damned artificer
06-01-2012, 22:19
So finally it's time for an update :D

The first 5 man squad is almost done and I'll get some pics once I've laid the first coats of paint. But until then you can have a few other pics ;)

first is my pre-heresy terminators (also featured in another thread) which will be reproduced so I can make multiple squads.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/termie-wip1.jpg

My standard bearer wip, bearing the sacred roma-which I have interpreted as an ancient battle standard as there's no record of what the relic actually is, but it's believed it might be a standard.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/standardbearer-roma-IF3.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/standardbearer-roma-IF1.jpg

Then onto the big guns, the proteus is comming along nicely.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LR-proteus-IF1.jpg

continued.

the damned artificer
06-01-2012, 22:20
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LR-proteus-IF2.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LR-proteus-IF3.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LR-proteus-IF4.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LR-proteus-IF5.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LR-proteus-IF6.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LR-proteus-IF7.jpg

continued.

the damned artificer
06-01-2012, 22:25
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LR-proteus-IF8.jpg

And the contemptor... Again, but with more detail finished. Still need to do the black parts.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-IF2.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-IF3.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-IF4.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-IF5.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-IF6.jpg

continued.

the damned artificer
06-01-2012, 22:26
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-IF7.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/contemptor-IF1.jpg

That's it for now, just had a load of fun playing with my brothers camera :D

Hellbrandt Grimm
07-01-2012, 08:54
first is my pre-heresy terminators (also featured in another thread) which will be reproduced so I can make multiple squads.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/termie-wip1.jpg

Arg !!!! I keep the pic for doing my own Mechanicus Torminators, are the Etched Brass comes from the Iron Hands sprue ??

My standard bearer wip, bearing the sacred roma-which I have interpreted as an ancient battle standard as there's no record of what the relic actually is, but it's believed it might be a standard.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/standardbearer-roma-IF3.jpg

Like it very much, but... why deosn't he have a glove on the right hand ??
I know it's just a detail but, it could be important :D

Great work mate.
HG.

Morden279
07-01-2012, 09:27
Pure win! I there any particular method you used to make the curved plasticard gorgets of the Terminators? Did you heat up the strips of material beforehand to make them more pliable and easy to bend? :)

SDKFZ
07-01-2012, 11:02
Sweet ! Love the Proteus, its a flash from the past for me :p

Dread also coming along nicly.

Pre. terminators looking very good. Like to see how they turnout with some paint :)

Great work allround, as usual, Mate !

/ SDKFZ

Catferret
07-01-2012, 11:33
Great conversion work on the terminators. You certainly have quite the skill with styrene sheet. Which does lead me to ask why you used the dreadnought shins as armour on one of them? They don't match very well with the rest of the squad in style and seem a tad large. Are they just placeholders for the picture until you can make more of your own ones?

Great work so far, both modelling and painting. Keep it up.

shaw3029
07-01-2012, 15:16
Looking very nice so far.

Ive been eying up that banner for my standard bearer as wrll. Its tbe red scorpion one isnt it? It looms great! Cant wait to see the rest of the command squad.

The dreadnought looks very good. I love the eyes in particular.

Definitly going to be getting myself a proteus. Yours looks fantastic.

Cheers!

Siph
07-01-2012, 17:43
Great stuff... but like you I bought a Proteus only for the Armoured Proteus to come out... so I got that too hoping to interchange sponsons as I'd already started construction. No avail, different side panels! Looks like I'll make both now! :-)

the damned artificer
08-01-2012, 01:22
Pure win! I there any particular method you used to make the curved plasticard gorgets of the Terminators? Did you heat up the strips of material beforehand to make them more pliable and easy to bend? :)
Thanks :D No the shouldepads are based on plastic tubing, and no heating was used, just plain bending.

Sweet ! Love the Proteus, its a flash from the past for me :p

Dread also coming along nicly.

Pre. terminators looking very good. Like to see how they turnout with some paint :)

Great work allround, as usual, Mate !

/ SDKFZ
Thanks mate, the proteus is an awesome kit I think you should buy one ;)

The terminators need to be finished and I need to reproduce them... hint hint.. But I'm sure they'll look good with some paint :D

Looking very nice so far.

Ive been eying up that banner for my standard bearer as wrll. Its tbe red scorpion one isnt it? It looms great! Cant wait to see the rest of the command squad.

The dreadnought looks very good. I love the eyes in particular.

Definitly going to be getting myself a proteus. Yours looks fantastic.

Cheers!
Thanks man, yeah the banner is the red scorpion one, it's bloody awesome. I'll get some pics of my apothecary when I get some paint on him.

Great stuff... but like you I bought a Proteus only for the Armoured Proteus to come out... so I got that too hoping to interchange sponsons as I'd already started construction. No avail, different side panels! Looks like I'll make both now! :-)

Hehe I honestly like the ordinary proteus better, but the armoured one is indeed very cool :D

Morden279
08-01-2012, 09:24
Thanks :D No the shouldepads are based on plastic tubing, and no heating was used, just plain bending.

Should have made myself clearer, gorget = neck guard which covers the lower part of the helmet at the collar. These tubing cut into semi circular sections, too? :)

the damned artificer
08-01-2012, 11:39
Should have made myself clearer, gorget = neck guard which covers the lower part of the helmet at the collar. These tubing cut into semi circular sections, too? :)

Ahh I missed that one :P Well the gorgets are made from plasticard strips that have been bent around the handle of my exacto knife, the nice thing about plastic is that it will take a shape and hold it as long as you bend it carefully. And curves are easily achieved. But this only works properly on plasticard with a thickness of 0.5mm or less.

Morden279
08-01-2012, 11:55
Cheers matey, that helps a lot! :)

Noserenda
08-01-2012, 13:07
Love the Standard bearer! Contemptors looking sweet too :D

the damned artificer
16-01-2012, 23:12
I found my contemptor sneaking around the GW what's new today blog, seems the GW guys like my stuff, as this is the second time I've had a miniature featured :P

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=800012-gws

Rich 123
17-01-2012, 07:43
Hi Damned Artificer,

I've been very busy for some time so haven't been on Warseer much but I've just been having a flick through this fantastic P'log

I love to see all these old marks in one place - I started off converting all mine years ago but the FW ares brilliant and with your paint job they are loping fantastic. Nice use of parts of the standard bearer too - I was just recent;y looking at Sevrin Loth's boys and thinking how many nifty parts are there.

You've really made me want to get a Contemptor for my marines now (just as II could see light at the end of the tunnel!) as he looks fantastic! I like the possibility of the arms and head too, good idea.

I must admit thought I'm not a great fan of your pre-heresey style terminators. Mainly just because I'm not so keen on the classic style of shoulder pad more than anything you've done. I think the dreadnought shin guards are a bit much on the one on the left… or was he a test figure?

Keep up the great work though,
Dicky

the damned artificer
17-01-2012, 09:22
Hi Damned Artificer,

I've been very busy for some time so haven't been on Warseer much but I've just been having a flick through this fantastic P'log

I love to see all these old marks in one place - I started off converting all mine years ago but the FW ares brilliant and with your paint job they are loping fantastic. Nice use of parts of the standard bearer too - I was just recent;y looking at Sevrin Loth's boys and thinking how many nifty parts are there.

You've really made me want to get a Contemptor for my marines now (just as II could see light at the end of the tunnel!) as he looks fantastic! I like the possibility of the arms and head too, good idea.

I must admit thought I'm not a great fan of your pre-heresey style terminators. Mainly just because I'm not so keen on the classic style of shoulder pad more than anything you've done. I think the dreadnought shin guards are a bit much on the one on the left… or was he a test figure?

Keep up the great work though,
Dicky

Thank you very much! :)
Yeah the severin loth kit is filled with treasures if you want to personalize space marines, I've bought some more of the different shoulder pads from the kit which will hopefully arrive soon.
I'm a big fan of the fw marks myself, especially the mkII which is my personal favourite.

Hehe well it's totally impossible to resist buying a contemptor, and when you've assembled one you're probably ending up wanting to do another as well.... I have, so mine might get a brother at some point :D

I have wanted to do pre-heresy terminators ever since I got my hands on the HH collected visions book back in 2007-2008 I think it was. And worry not, the dreadnought shin guards will not be used as shoulder pads, they're just tacked in place as stand ins till I have made some castings of the others as they're designed to fit either side. But yeah, if you don't like the aesthetics of the pre-heresy designs of the shoulder pads, then it's a bit hard to like them, but personally I prefer the pre-heresy style to the rounded ones :)

Monsterzonk
17-01-2012, 09:32
Congrats for getting your Dread up on the GW page! And deservedly so! It's a real beauty! The paintjob's great and I love that base!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

SDKFZ
17-01-2012, 17:43
Ill second those congrats, Mate . :D
Real cool that youve made it two times. You deserve it. Your painting is top notch.

/ SDKFZ

Gearhart
17-01-2012, 18:10
Congrats mate! I wish I was that good, hopefully I will learn :) I have been getting better over the year, so after another year I hope to have a good way, that everyone likes :) any tips my friend?

the damned artificer
17-01-2012, 21:38
Congrats for getting your Dread up on the GW page! And deservedly so! It's a real beauty! The paintjob's great and I love that base!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:
Thanks man :D I've just made bases for 30 minis more even though I haven't build all of them yet, but they are just so satisfying to do.

Ill second those congrats, Mate . :D
Real cool that youve made it two times. You deserve it. Your painting is top notch.

/ SDKFZ
Thanks mate, glad to have your ever loyal support ;)

Congrats mate! I wish I was that good, hopefully I will learn :) I have been getting better over the year, so after another year I hope to have a good way, that everyone likes :) any tips my friend?
Thanks man! You just keep painting, it's the only way to improve. I've been painting miniatures for eleven years now, and been modeling airplanes 2 years prior to that, and have always been drawing and painting, which have let me accumulate a certain amount of skill. But I keep improving myself, so just keep at it as that's what I do :D

Breazer
18-01-2012, 12:48
That is one awesome dread

the damned artificer
03-02-2012, 23:51
That is one awesome dread
Thanks man :D

Well, due to commissions this has seen less work than I'd hoped lately. I have been working on a command squad but the two essential miniatures I needed and bought in finecast turned out to look like they'd taken a swim in a chemical lake... And so did the replacements GW sent me, in fact they were even worse looking :( So I am currently waiting for their reply and am expecting to get another two at some point as I won't give up till I have miniatures of an acceptable quality, as that is what I *******' paid for...

So I'm not to happy about their lottery cast right now..

I also started work on a scout squad, and the first tactical squad but haven't gotten around to taking pictures yet :)

On another note, my boss (I'm a freelance painter for a painting service) decided to give me a little something as he didn't need it.

Now what was it, you might ask and wonder, and I'll tell you right after the pics ;)

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/IF-goodies1.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/IF-goodies2.jpg

It's the leftovers from his last commission, which just so happened to be an imperial fists army :chrome:

I also got a heap of other stuff as he's really the most awesome boss in the world, but those aren't really relevant here.

That's it for now guys, hopefully I'l return to this soon :) And meanwhile you should keep an eye out for my commissions thread (in sig) as there'll be some badass grey knights appearing over the weekend.

Lextheimpaler
04-02-2012, 07:03
Wow them terminators look BOSS

SDKFZ
04-02-2012, 09:18
WHOW ! Thats alot of IF goodies :D Talk about having great friends, wish i had something to send...........but i only have guard stuff :(

Ill be great fun seeing what you do with all this.

/ SDKFZ

the damned artificer
10-02-2012, 17:06
Wow them terminators look BOSS
Thanks dude :D

WHOW ! Thats alot of IF goodies :D Talk about having great friends, wish i had something to send...........but i only have guard stuff :(

Ill be great fun seeing what you do with all this.

/ SDKFZ
No worries mate ;) I'm sure you'll help me some other time :D

So I am about to have a major commission arrive, which inevitably means more cash to splurge on FW stuff for these guys :chrome:

And just today FW was nice enough to release this:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/xlarge/tankcom.jpg

So I'm slowly planning on what to get for them, and will probably go for a couble of deimos pattern rhino's and a deimos pattern pred, these bad boys and some weapons like heavy weapons and stuff. In the meantime feel free to check out my commissions thread in the sig, as it's probably where most of the action is going to be the next 1-2 month :D

Thanks for watching :D

shaw3029
10-02-2012, 19:34
Thats a haul of Imperial Fist parts!

I was eyeing up those tank commanders as well. Did you notice the bolter is different to the current ones forgeworld do and there seems to be a combi bolter in the set & who doesnt love that bare headed marine!

the damned artificer
10-02-2012, 19:57
Yeah apparently the mk IV marine is holding a carbine version of a bolter according to FW (in the comments on FB) and yeah that gotta be a combi bolter they have made for the cupola's.But I think I'll still be going with the converted one I'm doing for my termies, using the umbra pattern boltguns as they won't have the length problem, and imo will look more suited for one hand use, even though terminator armour have exo skeletal support :D But let's see how big that combi bolter is in real life first, might change my mind :)

the damned artificer
14-02-2012, 01:55
A small update:

I've finally got my finecast re-replacements and they look way better than he first replacements :D
So I've started work on the commander for the army, and here's the first WIP pic of him, he's based on the Sicarius model as I always liked his armour and it was the best "show off" cape available. Concerning the Aquila I have chosen to use the shoulderpad as it is written several places that even though the Aquila was not in common use by the legions prior to the heresy, noted heroes and high standing astartes wore it as a sign of their heroic deeds, and it was usually bestowed as an honour mark for extreme valour.

I'm contemplating using him as Sigismund, as I feel he has the right sense of ornamentation, and the description of his looks is also very sparse. It only says he has dark blonde hair and remarks upon his facial features on an overall level. But to be honest I'm not sure I'll give him hair, he might end up being the 2nd company captain, or be the first captain in service before Sigismund, and then have Sigismund as a sergeant or a champion in the commanders command squad as I also bought the emperors champion model, which has potential of being a great Sigismund model as well, and I might go with that option, as it gives me a bit more freedom in making up fluff for the army as it is meant to be set in the middle of the great crusade, just as the mkIV suits were starting to be field tested, and will restrict the army to MK I, II, III and IV suits. The mkI element will be as armour pieces incorporated into newer suits of mkII and III like the torso of my standard bearer.

Anyway, on to the picture:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/WIPcommander.jpg

C&c is more than welcome :)

ChaplainOrion
14-02-2012, 04:56
That pose looks off when it is combined with that face, but I feel it could be fixed if you rotate the pistol and sword a bit, so he looks like he just charged through the enemy.

Lextheimpaler
14-02-2012, 07:02
Love the model im also contemplating using him for my pre heresy army. Not a fan of the head though, i picture sigismund has one hansome ****. Maybe the devistator sgt head or a BA head because at the moment he looks like a smashed pumkin.

the damned artificer
14-02-2012, 11:38
The sword is still loose, so it's not the final position and the plasma pistol is just a stand in, as I don't think it'll cut it and yeah the pose of it doesn't work on the pic. But I'll probably not use him as Sigismund, as I have come to the conclusion that it's too mainstream to go with Sigismund as the commander, so He'll be someone else, and Sigismund will be his company champion :) So anything can happen, after all he's just a wip ;)

And thanks for the comments :)

SDKFZ
14-02-2012, 17:21
Looking ace, Mate !
How do you do all those cool conversions ?

/ SDKFZ

the damned artificer
14-02-2012, 17:27
Hehe simple mate, I spend half my life in front of a computer or my desk so I get an overdose of daily inspiration :P

SDKFZ
14-02-2012, 17:35
:D Yepp, and you dont go running around in old factorys trying to find missing people in the middle of the night, as some other stupid builders........:p

/ SDKFZ

the damned artificer
14-02-2012, 17:56
Hehehe no I can't brag about that mate XD I sure hope it's work related as (fireman, right?) otherwise it sounds pretty weird ;)

ChaplainOrion
15-02-2012, 04:13
Perhaps for the pose you could make him leaning on the sword, while in his other hand he holds the helmet of a traitor marine? A bit of a Hamlet-esque pose that would look pretty cool.

the damned artificer
15-02-2012, 12:36
Perhaps for the pose you could make him leaning on the sword, while in his other hand he holds the helmet of a traitor marine? A bit of a Hamlet-esque pose that would look pretty cool.

That could be awesome indeed, but I have decided the setting for the army should be the mid-great crusade era, thus no traitor marines ;) However I have been thinking of making him hold his own helmet instead of the plasma pistol, to underline the more regal look that the Sicarius model have.

DapperAnarchist
15-02-2012, 14:19
How about an Ork Skull then? Or a shattered Imperial Fist helmet, as a memento mori or something.

the damned artificer
15-02-2012, 14:51
How about an Ork Skull then? Or a shattered Imperial Fist helmet, as a memento mori or something.

That's not bad, I'll see if any of it works :)

the damned artificer
02-03-2012, 10:53
And finally an update on the progress of Dorn's all star team :D

First off is a picture of my first tac squad in the process of getting all yellowed up.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-PIP.jpg

Then there's a second tac squad under way, I might eventually upgrade to 10 man squads, but for now they'll only count 5 each.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-WIP7.jpg

Then there's a scout squad under way, still need to remove some chest aquillas and add some more detail to them (like the heavy weapon :shifty: )
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-WIP2.jpg

That's the core troops so far. Before I continue I'd like to sum up the premises for this army as it is important to me to emphasize that this is a PRE-heresy army, which is to say it is to be depicted as an army during the great crusade, prior to the betrayal of Horus Lupercal, and as such will have no traitor elements as there haven't been any dodgy business going on yet (well at least not any chaos related at least :P ).

I like all the pre-heresy armies around but most of them are described as being pre-heresy even though they include elements from the fluff from the heresy itself, so I find most of them are mislabelled and should be called heresy era armies seeing as they are set in the heresy era itself.

My army is set somewhere in the middle of the great crusade, and theres several reasons for that:

1. I can choose to have members of any of the 18 known legions among my troops and not just the ones that stayed loyal, this is great as I plan on making a few members of different legions appear to mingle with the squads and draw upon the brotherhood inter legion bonding that is referred to in Descent of Angels and Fallen angels.

2. I can make Sigismund before his ascending to first captain (which I have) and have him be the legion champion and the next in line to take up the mantle as first captain when the current first captain will no longer be able to. This is also because I wanted an IF army that didn't have Sigismund as their commander but could still be the first company.

This should help to understand the next pictures as they are rooted strongly in my design premises for the army.

So on with the miniatures:

The command squad:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-WIP1.jpg

And sigismund, the champion of the mighty VII Legio Astartes, personal favourite of the Lord Primarch Rogal Dorn.
He acts as both the company champion and sergeant of the sternguard (honour guard)
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-WIP5.jpg

The legions most revered standard, the Roma, borne by the first company standard bearer.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-WIP8.jpg

The company chaplain.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-WIP3.jpg

The sternguard, the personal honour guard of the first captain.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-WIP4.jpg

the damned artificer
02-03-2012, 10:54
And one of the sternguard as I really like how he's turning out.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/IF-WIP6.jpg

That's it for now, hopefully I'll have some more updates soon.

Space Fink
02-03-2012, 11:29
Looking ace mate. Will be nicking a bunch of your ideas.

shaw3029
02-03-2012, 12:54
Loving them! Superb work so far!

The sternguard with the power fist and plasma pistol is excellent. Where is the fist from?

The standard is fantastic and really looks the part.

Im not sold on Sigismund though. I know he was the Emperors first champion but he still just looks a lot like the plain emperors champion. I just think he needs more. How about a bigger storm shield? Maybe one of the Forgeworld Black Templar ones for starters?

Keep up the great work!

Yodhrin
02-03-2012, 16:04
Could I trouble you for a rundown of where all those lovely bare heads come from? I can't quite place them, and they don't seem to suffer from the same scale issues as my old plastic Marine heads.

the damned artificer
02-03-2012, 16:35
Looking ace mate. Will be nicking a bunch of your ideas.
You go right ahead mate ;)

Loving them! Superb work so far!

The sternguard with the power fist and plasma pistol is excellent. Where is the fist from?

The standard is fantastic and really looks the part.

Im not sold on Sigismund though. I know he was the Emperors first champion but he still just looks a lot like the plain emperors champion. I just think he needs more. How about a bigger storm shield? Maybe one of the Forgeworld Black Templar ones for starters?

Keep up the great work!
Thanks mate :D The powerfist is from the sanguinary guard set :)

On the notion of sigismund, he'll get a proper shield soon I just need to convince my buddy to let me rip him off some fw etched brass parts :shifty: I'll hopefully get one of them nice shields off of him, which will be glued to some plasticard and curved to show off his personal heraldry :D And then I plan on adding a lot more detail to his armour (and to the rest of these guys) like little fist icons and purity seals etc.

Could I trouble you for a rundown of where all those lovely bare heads come from? I can't quite place them, and they don't seem to suffer from the same scale issues as my old plastic Marine heads.

You sure can, the command squad picture from left to right is the fw captain corvydae and fw Lugft Huron, the sternguard from left to right is gw captain sicarius, blood angels death company as far as I remember, the head from the assault terminators and the last one is a fw raven guard upgrade sergeants head :)

Morden279
02-03-2012, 17:30
Before I continue I'd like to sum up the premises for this army as it is important to me to emphasize that this is a PRE-heresy army, which is to say it is to be depicted as an army during the great crusade, prior to the betrayal of Horus Lupercal, and as such will have no traitor elements as there haven't been any dodgy business going on yet (well at least not any chaos related at least :P ).

Quoted for extreme truth.

Seriously dude, these are looking *********** hardcore; the effort you've put in really shows with the addition of the excellent FW Red Scorpion bits - must have set you back a pretty penny. I particularly like the chunky Sternguard (where Mk.III armour should be most prevalent) and the standard bearer. Is the heavy stubber/bolter meant to represent an Autocannon? In which case, do you have an additional army list/rulers set in mind with these guys? :)

the damned artificer
02-03-2012, 19:06
Quoted for extreme truth.

Seriously dude, these are looking *********** hardcore; the effort you've put in really shows with the addition of the excellent FW Red Scorpion bits - must have set you back a pretty penny. I particularly like the chunky Sternguard (where Mk.III armour should be most prevalent) and the standard bearer. Is the heavy stubber/bolter meant to represent an Autocannon? In which case, do you have an additional army list/rulers set in mind with these guys? :)

Thanks mate, I really feel like making this army properly, paying homage to the fluff and making something I'd imagine would be in an actual crusade era army. And the army is not meant to be played as I don't play :) This is purely a project for my amusement, and therefore there's no rules planned for the autocannon (which it is correctly assumed to be), they are mainly there because they were used during the great crusade and they look awesome imo :D

And yeah, the red scorpion parts wasn't cheap, especially since I bought them on ebay at a bitz store... But it was totaly worth it :D

Yodhrin
02-03-2012, 20:22
Thanks mate, I really feel like making this army properly, paying homage to the fluff and making something I'd imagine would be in an actual crusade era army. And the army is not meant to be played as I don't play :) This is purely a project for my amusement, and therefore there's no rules planned for the autocannon (which it is correctly assumed to be), they are mainly there because they were used during the great crusade and they look awesome imo :D

And yeah, the red scorpion parts wasn't cheap, especially since I bought them on ebay at a bitz store... But it was totaly worth it :D

Link! Liiiink! I've never been able to find a bitz store that does FW or Finecast components, and I'd rather pay a few quid to get the part I need than twenty+ quid and end up with a bunch of useless extras I'll never use(I don't do regular-scale Marines :p). Thanks for the rundown by the way; I'm surprised that's Sicarius' head, the pics on the GW site do not flatter that head at all.

the damned artificer
02-03-2012, 20:43
Link! Liiiink! I've never been able to find a bitz store that does FW or Finecast components, and I'd rather pay a few quid to get the part I need than twenty+ quid and end up with a bunch of useless extras I'll never use(I don't do regular-scale Marines :p). Thanks for the rundown by the way; I'm surprised that's Sicarius' head, the pics on the GW site do not flatter that head at all.

Sure ;) I usually deal with either Valhalla games http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Valhalla-Gaming?_trksid=p4340.l2563 or the bitz store http://stores.ebay.co.uk/thebitzstore when I need bits, they both have great service and are very nice :D

Gearhart
02-03-2012, 21:57
i love it!!!!!! suppurb work as always the conversions are great!!!! i may have to steal some ideas myself. cant wait for your next update mate

the damned artificer
03-03-2012, 00:21
i love it!!!!!! suppurb work as always the conversions are great!!!! i may have to steal some ideas myself. cant wait for your next update mate

Steal away mate ;) Glad you like them, they have become my little darling project of late :P

Yodhrin
03-03-2012, 00:33
Sure ;) I usually deal with either Valhalla games http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Valhalla-Gaming?_trksid=p4340.l2563 or the bitz store http://stores.ebay.co.uk/thebitzstore when I need bits, they both have great service and are very nice :D

Brilliant, you just saved my skitarii project. Looks like the FW section has already been raided for heads though, only managed to nab the Raven Guard Sgt one. Now, back to work; we need more piccies to gawp at :D

the damned artificer
03-03-2012, 01:11
Hehe sorry mate, that's probably me taking them all ;p But there'll probably be a restock at some point :D And a skitarii project, go on you've got my interest :shifty:

I might get a bit of work done on them tomorrow as it's my day off of commissions to keep my sanity :P

Yodhrin
03-03-2012, 01:35
Hehe sorry mate, that's probably me taking them all ;p But there'll probably be a restock at some point :D And a skitarii project, go on you've got my interest :shifty:

I might get a bit of work done on them tomorrow as it's my day off of commissions to keep my sanity :P

I'll look forward to the update then, heh. Feel free to have a gander (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?334819-Slow-and-Purposeful-The-Hyanom-Reclamation), not much to see at the moment though.

the damned artificer
04-03-2012, 23:44
Small update gents :D

Not much, but the first one is a lysander model :D

The general idea is that he'll be a commander in terminator armour, having his storm shield and thunder hammer, and probably an extra set of magnetized arms for showing off, maybe a sword or something. The shoulderpad is my prototype from the earlier pics and acts as a stand in atm to get a feel of how he'll look once he's pre-heresy pimped.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/termicap.jpg

And Sigismund finally got his proper shield, a friend of mine hooked me up with some fw brass etch to pimp him out, but he is very BT'ish right now and it'll be toned down with some more IF symbols and some other detail work like some scrolls to cover up the large 'TEMPLARS' on his shield. He's still very much a WIP.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/sigismund20.jpg

So what do guys think?

Dudde
04-03-2012, 23:48
I think the sheild looks very crusaderish (love it) and I can't wait for more

the damned artificer
05-03-2012, 09:00
I think the sheild looks very crusaderish (love it) and I can't wait for more

Thanks man, I've had the idea for his shield for ages, and I think it works pretty well although it still needs some detail work :)

RTJ
05-03-2012, 10:48
Looking really good! Love the hybrid models and kit bashing you're doing.

Master Commander Ajax
05-03-2012, 12:09
You've put the Forge World kits to great use. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this blog. Also love the Sicairus conversion. Did the Aquilla shoulderpad come as a seperate piece?

the damned artificer
05-03-2012, 12:31
Looking really good! Love the hybrid models and kit bashing you're doing.
Thanks man, glad you like them :)

You've put the Forge World kits to great use. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this blog. Also love the Sicairus conversion. Did the Aquilla shoulderpad come as a seperate piece?
Thanks a lot :) You gotta love those fw bits :p

And no, sadly the shoulder pad is cast as part of the main body, and it took a great deal of care to remove it from the model and hollow it out to work on a normal sm arm.

shaw3029
05-03-2012, 14:21
Just looked over the models again. They are seriously good. The Forgeworld MKs of armour work so well!

Where is the brass etching on Lysanders the shoulder pad from?

Sigismund looks great now! Cant wait to see what else you add to him.

Just a suggestion and it would radically change the model. If you could find a suitable head you could remove the helmet and replace it with a bare head. That would really set him apart from the emperors champion model.

the damned artificer
06-03-2012, 00:22
Just looked over the models again. They are seriously good. The Forgeworld MKs of armour work so well!

Where is the brass etching on Lysanders the shoulder pad from?

Sigismund looks great now! Cant wait to see what else you add to him.

Just a suggestion and it would radically change the model. If you could find a suitable head you could remove the helmet and replace it with a bare head. That would really set him apart from the emperors champion model.

Thanks mate, I really did litterally thousand of conversions in my mind over the last few years and they are finally making their way to the material world by now :D

The brass etch on the shoulder pad on lysander is from the fw brass etch iron hands frame :)

I think I might keep the helmet as I rather like the very visual link between him and the emperors champion, but it could look cool as well with an unhelmeted version, might look into finding him a suitable head and make it magnetized so I can switch them around :P

A few more updates, just got my hands on another model today which will be used for the army. It's a second hand master of the armoury and he's been stripped clean. Unfortunately he didn't have his sword or the original head, but I wasn't planning on using those parts anyways, he will be a member of the honour guard/sternguard.

Untill I get my next batch of fw parts from ebay he's gonna have this helmet, but he'll probably have it replaced with one of the red scorpion helmets. I have not yet decided how he'll be armed, but a sword could be nice.Also I plan on removing his chest eagle and the crux terminatus on his shoulder to replace with legion symbols instead.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1629.jpg

He'll be accompanied by this guy in as the next honour guard model is one I've wanted to do for a long time. He's based on the sergeant Chronus model as I've never liked the actual model, but the armour is just so cool. And seeing as I now had a very nice powerfist for him I found it was time to do the model the justice it deserves. As with all the other models he'll receive some IF iconography and fancy shiney stuff to mark him out as an honoured astartes.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1621.jpg

And then I played a bit more with the lysander model, still only tac'ed together as I haven't decided yet how he will finally look.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1628.jpg

SDKFZ
06-03-2012, 16:56
Those new marines look good, Mate. Like what youve done to chronus.

How will you arm the first guy ? (must say i like that helmet alot.).

/ SDKFZ

LokkoRex
06-03-2012, 18:17
i love the Chronus conversion, mind if steal the idea for future usage?

npow34
06-03-2012, 21:47
Loving this plog!!! For Dorn!!! Plans for the Primarch?

the damned artificer
06-03-2012, 23:15
Those new marines look good, Mate. Like what youve done to chronus.

How will you arm the first guy ? (must say i like that helmet alot.).

/ SDKFZ
Thanks mate :D And yeah the helmet is awesome and I'm really happy with him :D I'll probably give him a bolter or a plasma pistol, or a combi weapon I have no clue yet :p

i love the Chronus conversion, mind if steal the idea for future usage?
Thanks man, and no you steal away ;) I'm just glad to inspire :chrome:

Loving this plog!!! For Dorn!!! Plans for the Primarch?
Thanks, it is nice to get such a nice reception on this project as it has been a long time underway in my mind :)

And atm there's no plan for the Primarch, but maybe at some point there'll be room for Rogal Dorn too :p I am however concentrating on building a nice army first.

the damned artificer
23-03-2012, 03:51
Long time since I last updated this, but I got a spur of the moment mini built today for the veterans.

Not a difficult conversion at all, but I'd wanted to do a marine with that axe for some time now and this was the pose that kept popping up in my mind. It required me to switch the hand on the handle from a left to a right but it wasn't too hard to do. Hope you like him so far, like the rest of them he'll have a lot more detail when I get around to it :)
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/vet1.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/vet2.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/vet3.jpg

Ohh yeah, and yesterday I had a bit of fun with my razorsaw and some glue :chrome: This was the result:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/wreck.jpg

Still needs some gap filling and some sand before it's ready to paint, and I might ad a few dead pilots to it as well and maybe kit it out a bit to look like a cargo shuttle or something like that :)

That's it for now, hopefully there'll be more soon :D

Petay1985
23-03-2012, 10:03
I am rather humbled to say that this is actually the first time i've clocked this log fella, i really feel like i've missed out on 7 pages of inspiring work. There are a few things that hav particularly caught by eye; the Standard Bearer model is lovely, a really nice mix of components and posing, the shield made from brass etc and plasticard is pure genious. It would also be remiss of me not to comment on the Sicarius Conversion, he definately looks better with out the helmet(s) ;) looking forward to your future updates.

Space Fink
23-03-2012, 11:49
Liking the axe guy. Subtle, he's going to look awesome.

the damned artificer
23-03-2012, 15:51
I am rather humbled to say that this is actually the first time i've clocked this log fella, i really feel like i've missed out on 7 pages of inspiring work. There are a few things that hav particularly caught by eye; the Standard Bearer model is lovely, a really nice mix of components and posing, the shield made from brass etc and plasticard is pure genious. It would also be remiss of me not to comment on the Sicarius Conversion, he definately looks better with out the helmet(s) ;) looking forward to your future updates.

Well there's a first time for everything right ;) Glad you like the models, I've put a lot of thought into what I wanted to do with this army. And I agree on the sicarius conversion, I'm pretty sure the helmets could be put to better use else where :p I think the next vet should be a hammer wielding one, I have just the right weapon for that now XD

Liking the axe guy. Subtle, he's going to look awesome.

Thanks mate, I plan on making a few more models with that kind of axe, just have to finish those grey knights so I can order supplies from fw as I plan on buying the severin loth honour guard among other things :D

Breazer
24-03-2012, 17:44
I so love your chronus conversion so far....if you dont mind i would like to take that idea and use it for some new sword brethren

SDKFZ
24-03-2012, 18:41
Hey, Mate, thats an awesome converion on the axe guy, sweet !

Like what youve done to the aguilalander. Thats a really good idea. Specially now that you can order it separate.

/ SDKFZ

the damned artificer
24-03-2012, 21:32
I so love your chronus conversion so far....if you dont mind i would like to take that idea and use it for some new sword brethren
Thanks man, and of course I don't mind :D If my models inspire anyone I'm happy, and I generally have no problem with people borrowing my ideas as I do the same whenever I see something cool :)

Hey, Mate, thats an awesome converion on the axe guy, sweet !

Like what youve done to the aguilalander. Thats a really good idea. Specially now that you can order it separate.

/ SDKFZ

Thanks mate :D I've made another vet with a very nice big hammer, I'll se if I can get a picture up tomorrow :D
Yeah the aquila lander is actually a really nice terrain set, and I've only seen this done one other time and felt like doing it to mine (might make another for my gaming club like this, as we have 4 unpainted one I think, and two painted ones as well :D ), it is however really big when assembled like this which I didn't take into consideration before cutting it to pieces :p

Nineswords
27-03-2012, 23:06
It's very simple, I just sponged chardon granite on and did a bit of highlighting around the chips :)

Inspired. I think I'll be using that.

shaw3029
01-04-2012, 23:12
I am loving the marine with the axe!! The pose is fantastic. Keep it up mate!

Fizzy
12-04-2012, 18:08
I'd love to see more paint! Love the eyes and weathering!

the damned artificer
12-04-2012, 23:48
Inspired. I think I'll be using that.
Thanks :) And I'd be very interrested in seeing what you'll be applying the technique to :D

I am loving the marine with the axe!! The pose is fantastic. Keep it up mate!
Thanks mate, I'll try and keep up the steam on this project :D

I'd love to see more paint! Love the eyes and weathering!
Thanks, I just have a GK commission I have to finish before I can get on with these, but the money from the commission will fund my next shopping spree from FW for these guys :D Next propper update will be when (hopefully soon) my tartaros terminators turn up :p

SDKFZ
13-04-2012, 17:02
Ahh, the mini dreadnoughts :D
How is the work going on your second aguila lander ? Liked the way you got it toghether into a more complete vehicle.

/ SDKFZ

tcraigen
15-04-2012, 06:31
Amazing work I love the mix of armour an conversions you've done.

the damned artificer
19-04-2012, 11:06
Ahh, the mini dreadnoughts :D
How is the work going on your second aguila lander ? Liked the way you got it toghether into a more complete vehicle.

/ SDKFZ
Yeah I can't wait to build them! The aqila lander haven't received any work since the pics were taken unfortunately :/

Amazing work I love the mix of armour an conversions you've done.
Thanks! hope this next update is in your taste then.

Update time!

I've had time to do some more modelling and have actually managed to finish my mk II land speeder and have it undercoated, I also bought some goodies to update my chaplain, and have also updated my apothecary.

Chaplain:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1782copy.jpg
I have fiwed the miscast collar and the stud on his shoulder with some green stuff, but not until after I took the pictures.

Apothecary:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1778copy.jpg
Some more progress on the legions senior medic, he still needs some green stuff work.

And a picture of a building I'm working on for a CoD table, once it's finished and this army is too I'll have a load of pics taken of the army in urban surroundings.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1795.jpg

And now for my little love project, my Mk II landspeeder:

It's built from a mix between a land speeder storm and a regular land speeder with the seats and engine exhausts from an original 2nd ed land speeder. There's also parts from numerous other kits in there, I'll give it a rundown if any one is interested.
It will be put on a 60mm base in style with the one on my contemptor, and I might build something elaborate on the base since there won't be any models standing directly on it.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1760copy.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1764copy.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1766copy.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1769copy.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1770copy.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1775copy.jpg

Next week I'll get my tartaros terminators, and I'll try and have an update ASAP with them.

That's it for now, I'll have to get back to commission work again so I can fund some more yellow armour!

Vimes
19-04-2012, 13:13
WOW! What an update!!
The chaplain is ace, he looks realy menacing and the choice of the helmet is perfect.

But the Land Speeder is totaly awsome!!! What a great conversion and great use of bits!!

Looking forward to more updates. A 5+ for you;)

Kontempt
19-04-2012, 14:01
Whoa, how have i missed this? Where di you get the helm for your Chappy? The Landspeeder is fantastic also, would be great to do for a model for Sammael seeing as though he also has one of the only jet bikes remaining post-Heresy. Parts list would be great, I AM stealing it! ;)

SDKFZ
19-04-2012, 15:33
Just love that landspeeder ! It makes much more sence in "true scale" then the old 2:nd edition metal one, which was rather cramped.
Sweet that youve picked up the idea and made a stunning model of it.
Great work !
Chaplain and apothecary also looking ace.

/ SDKFZ

Breazer
19-04-2012, 16:22
I love the updates on the chaplain...and i like the urban looking terrain too..
im so looking forward to seeing these painted!

Khorneguy
19-04-2012, 17:24
Could you give us a list of parts used on that land speeder? Or even a tutorial. That is pretty damn amazing and I want to build one or two myself

Space Fink
19-04-2012, 18:39
Land Speeder tutorial please..;)

Hadriel Caine
19-04-2012, 19:13
Splendid stuff. Loving the landspeeder. What I really dig though are the bases and the terrain. Very neatly done and atmospheric.

the damned artificer
19-04-2012, 21:54
WOW! What an update!!
The chaplain is ace, he looks realy menacing and the choice of the helmet is perfect.

But the Land Speeder is totaly awsome!!! What a great conversion and great use of bits!!

Looking forward to more updates. A 5+ for you;)
Thanks man, hope my future work wont disappoint then :P

Whoa, how have i missed this? Where di you get the helm for your Chappy? The Landspeeder is fantastic also, would be great to do for a model for Sammael seeing as though he also has one of the only jet bikes remaining post-Heresy. Parts list would be great, I AM stealing it! ;)
Hehe I pretty much can't get around making a parts list now it seems :p The chappy helmet is from this set http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/ASTERION_MOLOC_AND_IVANUS_ENKOMI_OF_THE_MINOTAURS. html :) And thanks for the nice comments.

Just love that landspeeder ! It makes much more sence in "true scale" then the old 2:nd edition metal one, which was rather cramped.
Sweet that youve picked up the idea and made a stunning model of it.
Great work !
Chaplain and apothecary also looking ace.

/ SDKFZ
Thanks mate, I gotta keep my game up if I have to compete with all your awesome scratch builts aye ;)

I love the updates on the chaplain...and i like the urban looking terrain too..
im so looking forward to seeing these painted!
Thanks man, I wish I had more time to paint these up right away to be honest, but I will as soon as I get a chance :D

Could you give us a list of parts used on that land speeder? Or even a tutorial. That is pretty damn amazing and I want to build one or two myself
No picture tutorial, but I'll make a rundown of parts and how I roughly went about building it. And thanks :)

Land Speeder tutorial please..;)
Ohh you cheeky... ;)

Splendid stuff. Loving the landspeeder. What I really dig though are the bases and the terrain. Very neatly done and atmospheric.
Thanks a lot, I'm really just warming up though as I have a complete 4'x6' fully modeled CoD table to paint :p

No-One
19-04-2012, 22:17
This is turning out to be one of the best logs i've seen in a while, I'm looking forward to seeing it take shape more and more

the damned artificer
20-04-2012, 08:41
This is turning out to be one of the best logs i've seen in a while, I'm looking forward to seeing it take shape more and more

Thanks man, I'm very excited about this project myself so it's nice to get so great encouragement from you all :) I'll make a real effort to keep this updated relatively often while I finish the commission I'm working on and then after that this thread should be able to take off full throttle :)

aghast
20-04-2012, 09:27
Awsome stuff!

titancommissar
20-04-2012, 09:31
i really like the speed great work

SDKFZ
20-04-2012, 18:59
Always a pleasure, Mate :D Your loyal support keeps me on my toes. ;)

/ SDKFZ

the damned artificer
22-04-2012, 15:51
Okay so it's time for that parts rundown, so I can get some piece of mind ;)
I will divide it into two separate categories, crew and speeder. The crew will just be described, the speeder will have pics to illustrate a bit as it isn't really that complicated to repose some legs and arms and make sitting crew.

The crew:
What you need:
-The mkII gunner arms from the fw sm tank crew http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Vehicle-Accessories/SPACE_MARINE_TANK_CREW_.html
-Any of the mkII legs from fw will do, I used parts from 3 different pairs to make mine.
-I used two of the BA torsos with the livery removed, but the mkII torsos work equally fine.
-4 mkII shoulder pads.
-2 mkII helmets
a pair of mkII shooting arms.

How to do it:
Cut the socket for the backpack off, so the marines can sit properly in their seats. Cut and reposition the legs. add the torsos and heads. Wait to attach and
reposition the arms till the speeder is built so you can adjust them to fit.

The speeder:
What you need:
-The seats, exhausts and the targeting screen from a 2nd edition land speeder (the targeting screen is from the ravenwing speeder, and is optional as it isn't actually on the standard speeder)
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/parts2.jpg

-A land speeder storm.
Specifically these parts (marked in red)
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/parts4.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/parts3.jpg

-These parts from a baal predator (marked in red).
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/parts5.jpg

-The exhausts from a whirlwind (marked in red).
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/parts1.jpg

-The bottom, exhaust and an extra wing from a normal land speeder.
-1mm plasticard.
-0,5mm plasticard.
-thin plastic rod for rivets, or any other sort of rivets that fit your style. Mine are from the beams in the CoD sets from GW.
-A skull from a chaos marine torso belt buckle or a similar medium sized skull.

Optional parts for detailing, in the case of my Imperial Fists speeder I used the following components to detail it:
-A fw imperial fists icon pack, for the round icons http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Vehicle-Accessories/IMPERIAL---CRIMSON-FISTS-ICON-PACKS.html
- the bike kit-bags from this kit http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440277a&prodId=prod1110187
-A name plate from the black templars brass etch http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Etched_Brass/ETCHED-BRASS-BLACK-TEMPLARS-SYMBOLS.html

These can of course be substituted with any detailing you want.

- the guns:
A heavy bolter from the land raider proteus kit http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Tanks/LAND-RAIDER-PROTEUS.html
alternatively a heavy bolter from the heavy weapons kit here might also work http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-Accessories/SPACE_MARINE_HEAVY_WEAPONS_SET.html

-the autocannon from a IG heavy weapons team
-assault cannon, mounting and search light from a land speeder.

How to do it:

Start by building the engine, cut the parts as in the diagram.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/Engine.jpg

The two segments of the tank goes together to built the middle section of the engine, then you add the top, bottom and exhaust sections. Then cut the whirlwind exhausts flat on the backside and glue them in. then cut the 2nd ed exhausts attachment pins off and glue them on top of the exhausts on the assembled engine.
Remove the side grills on the engine, cut the fuel tank covers from the baal predators, the part you need to remove is the vertical flat edge so you are left with the top part and the angled edge. attach on top of engine.

then for the front and middle section.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/nose.jpg

Cut off the spoiler that is marked in green on the top front section, this is what attaches the engine to the rest of the speeder and is where the tail fin is attached (the extra fin from the land speeder). Cut the panel from the seats and attach the panel to the spoiler, then cut the top and bottom front as shown in the diagram and assemble them, then attach the piece to the control panel, this is also where the control panel for the driver is installed.

Next you skin the front and sides in 1mm plasticard(not the top of the front) to make the characteristic angled nose for the mkII look, you then ad a rectangle and a triangle in the front to create the panel detail on the nose, this is made in 0,5mm plasticard. the array is also installed and the small lights that goes in the gunners side of the land speeder storm is used as the base for the drivers display with the lenses cut off. Ad the targeting screen, rivets, skull and other detail.

The seats section is made by cutting the bottom of the normal land speeder as shown in green on the diagram, then you beef out the middle section of the speeder with. Attach the seats to the land speeder bottom part that you have cut, and make it fit on the speeder, DO NOT GLUE IT IN PLACE it will make it impossible to install the drivers later.

Add the braces from the land speeder storm on top of the engine exhausts and under the seats.
Fit the drivers arms to match the controls of the speeder.

Assemble all the parts and remember to add the bottom tail fin/auspex array too.

The heavy bolter needs to be cut to fit, which depending on which type you use it will involve cutting the back of the gun to be level.

The autocannon is made by cutting the barrel off the assault cannon and replacing it with the one from the IG autocannon, then mount it on the mounting, cut the light from the searchlight and mount it reversed, add the lenses cut from the drivers screen as targeting lenses.

That's about it, hope this is enough to satisfy you guys. Remember to refer to the pics of the finished model when building to give a visual idea of what part you are building and how it goes together.

Happy building lads ;D

Gearhart
22-04-2012, 17:58
AMAZING! OUTSTANDING! SLPENDID! SUPPURB! haha great stuff mate always a great charater....once i start my regular marines my inspiration will be clear :)

BrotherTearz
22-04-2012, 20:01
You lucky thing, I have been trying to get hold of Ivanus Enkomi's head without paying £30.00 to get it :)

the damned artificer
23-04-2012, 12:56
AMAZING! OUTSTANDING! SLPENDID! SUPPURB! haha great stuff mate always a great charater....once i start my regular marines my inspiration will be clear :)
Thanks mate :D I'll be looking forward to your regular marines as I am quite enjoying your terminator madness ;)

You lucky thing, I have been trying to get hold of Ivanus Enkomi's head without paying £30.00 to get it :)
Yeah I know, I was fortunate enough to be able to snatch it from a bits store before they were sold out :P

Major update time

I have had my doubts from the start of this project about a certain aspect of doing a great crusade era force, a part which is really defining and will take a lot of work and which I initially wasn't going to do because it didn't feel right.
I am of course talking about the big man himself, the man in the golden armour (no, not the emperor ;p ), one of the greatest tactical minds in the imperium, Lord Primarch of the VII Legion Astartes, Rogal Dorn!

It is really a matter of taste, but many modellers would love to have a primarch lead their legion on the battle field, and I am no different. I originally hadn't got any idea of what to base Dorn on, so I decided he wasn't going to be part of this IF army. Then one faithfull evening about a month ago I started playing around with some components, and suddently He was there, right in front of me, Rogal Dorn, as an uncut piece of marble, a diamond in the rough.

And so it was that I changed my twisted mind yet again (happens once or twice a week on this project or every time FW releases new SM models... ) and decided to include the master of the Imperial Fists.

Without more babbling I present to you the very VERY early stage of Rogal Dorn.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/tHEMANINCHARGE.jpg

I would grately appreciate some feedback on this guy as I am forming a strong idea in my head about how I would do the elaborate amount of detail his armour will need to stand out. My main concern is the weapons, I am thinking of having some fun with magnets so I can swap between his gun and his ccw, but I can't decide what weapon to actually arm him with, all I've decided is that I really don't like the chainsword idea as it seems to crude a weapon for a master warrior of his stature. The sword on the main picture is an old GK sword with the gun removed, I am considering using it on the model, although it will take quite some modification.

I will take a great deal of inspiration in the original artwork from the collected visions book by John Blanche and this piece of art that I found online (credit goes to the genius behind although sadly I don't know who he is)

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/rogal_lang_by_slaine69-d4x2j1w.jpg

That's it for now, there might be an update later today as I jut got my tartaros pattern terminators, and IF brass etch :D

Gearhart
23-04-2012, 18:32
hes actually the one in charge in the movie Avatar lol, and as for dorn i really like him, if you plan on making him bulkier tho have you thought about scibor mini pads? this would also give a nice unique look. But i know when you do more work on him he will be the most charactful one tht anyone made :) im actually planning on making one myself :) all though mine will be mostly green stuff haha :) cheers mate and please update him more!

Morden279
23-04-2012, 18:34
IMO the old GK Greatsword isn't detailed enough, and its age really shows in the casting quality (with all due [retro]respect to Jes Goodwin).

shaw3029
23-04-2012, 20:39
The chaplain is fantastic and so is Dorn! Looking very promising so far.

jønke
23-04-2012, 20:42
Mygod i wanna have your children. Everything in this log is pure gold. As in good not just becuse its IF's.

Regarding the lord Dorn i havent read mutch abouth him yet, but imo a chainsword would look great. It might be hell to make one that would fit him but as i see it the chainswords are, after the bolter, the most iconic space marine weapon. I think you should reconsider atleast. Allthough im sure if you choose the gk sword you can still make it look great.

No-One
23-04-2012, 21:00
I personally think the chainsword is more iconic for Space Marines, but don't bother using one of the weedy "regular" chainswords, try to get your hands on a Sister's Repentia, on of their Eviscerator chainswords should fit the bill perfectly, its massive, and has an ornate enough hilt that i think it would fit Dorn perfectly

the damned artificer
23-04-2012, 21:40
hes actually the one in charge in the movie Avatar lol, and as for dorn i really like him, if you plan on making him bulkier tho have you thought about scibor mini pads? this would also give a nice unique look. But i know when you do more work on him he will be the most charactful one tht anyone made :) im actually planning on making one myself :) all though mine will be mostly green stuff haha :) cheers mate and please update him more!
Yeah I know, someone used a screen shot and painted him into Dorn, quite a stroke of brilliance actually :P The scibor pads are not in my taste sadly, there's something about them I don't like. I'll try my hardest to keep this thread updated, I just got my tartaros terminators today, sadly I'm not really impressed with the quality of the casts which is a real bummer as I've been waiting for them for 3 weeks. But I had planned on converting them anyway, so I'll just try and fix the problems instead of having to have replacements.

IMO the old GK Greatsword isn't detailed enough, and its age really shows in the casting quality (with all due [retro]respect to Jes Goodwin).
I think you're right it really does show that it is from something like 1990 and I probably won't use it, but it needs to be a sword of at least equal size :P

The chaplain is fantastic and so is Dorn! Looking very promising so far.
Thanks mate :D

Mygod i wanna have your children. Everything in this log is pure gold. As in good not just becuse its IF's.

Regarding the lord Dorn i havent read mutch abouth him yet, but imo a chainsword would look great. It might be hell to make one that would fit him but as i see it the chainswords are, after the bolter, the most iconic space marine weapon. I think you should reconsider atleast. Allthough im sure if you choose the gk sword you can still make it look great.

Haha damn, it seems I need to watch my thread Jønke, please tell me you live far from Viborg XD

Yeah I might do a chainsword for him as well, I don't think it'll be that hard :) Actually what is written about Dorn mostly concerns his personality and not really much on his actual looks :p

the damned artificer
23-04-2012, 21:41
I personally think the chainsword is more iconic for Space Marines, but don't bother using one of the weedy "regular" chainswords, try to get your hands on a Sister's Repentia, on of their Eviscerator chainswords should fit the bill perfectly, its massive, and has an ornate enough hilt that i think it would fit Dorn perfectly

Not a bad idea, I'll look into it :D

Horus Aximand
24-04-2012, 12:35
Not a bad idea, I'll look into it :D

Unfortunately those eviscerators are no larger than the plastic marine chainswords by mass. They've got a wee spikey bit on top which adds length and a bulkier engine mechanism, that's about it.

Hellbrandt Grimm
24-04-2012, 12:50
Didn't log on your thread for a few moment, and what I see while I'm back, the most awesome land speeder I ever seen !!! great work mate, I love it !!

HG

the damned artificer
24-04-2012, 13:39
Unfortunately those eviscerators are no larger than the plastic marine chainswords by mass. They've got a wee spikey bit on top which adds length and a bulkier engine mechanism, that's about it.
If I end up doing a chainsword for him I will most likely scratch built one, so no worries :)

Didn't log on your thread for a few moment, and what I see while I'm back, the most awesome land speeder I ever seen !!! great work mate, I love it !!

HG

Thanks mate :D Gotta do something to keep up with your awesome mechanicus force, aye ;)

TheConverter15
24-04-2012, 15:18
Great log here TDA! I would start a Imperial Fist log but I'm scared of painting all that yellow! Fantastic start on Dorn though and a brilliant Landspeeder conversion :)

the damned artificer
24-04-2012, 16:28
Great log here TDA! I would start a Imperial Fist log but I'm scared of painting all that yellow! Fantastic start on Dorn though and a brilliant Landspeeder conversion :)

Thanks :) I wouldn't get too discouraged by painting yellow, there's so many spray paints in yellow available and the foundation paints (or what ever the **** they are called now) makes yellow a much easier task than it used to be :) So I say go for it ;)

tcraigen
25-04-2012, 06:53
That land speeder is beautiful work, bravo! Dorn is also a great convert keep up the good work.

the damned artificer
26-04-2012, 11:57
That land speeder is beautiful work, bravo! Dorn is also a great convert keep up the good work.

Thanks dude :)

Okay so Monday I got my tartaros terminators, and I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the casts, not entirely up to the standard I am used to from fw.

I've played around with the kit and started building them, so here's the first pics. On this stage nothing is final, and everything could happen.

First here's a scale shot with them next to my primarch, Dorn is a really big boy :p
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1822.jpg

Closeup of the sergeants shield, which is from Asterion Molok. I really didn't feel like removing the big minotaurs skull as it looks so good (the shield is one of the crispest cast parts I've seen from fw in my life, and there was virtually no cleanup! It is however not made with the new spin casting technique like the tartaros terminators and with the usual resin. It seems it's the spin cast technique that gives a lot of trouble, or maybe the finer grade of resin is more prone to bubbles)

The fluff for the giant minotaur skull will be something along the lines of this;

"The shield of Minos, currently residing in the personal armoury of Rogal Dorn, was presented to him as a gift from one of the noble houses of Terra, the house of Minos, upon his first visit to Terra after being reunited with his father. The shield is an ancient device depicting the head of a Minotaur as an ancient Terran legend tells of a mighty hero, son of gods, who defeated the beast and came to be the founder of a great city that would unite his people, the addition of an imperial aquila put the analogy of the legend in perspective with the great crusade, how mighty heroes fight the vicious beasts of the universe to build a kingdom of unity for all of humanity. The laurel is an ancient battle honour, and the personal emblem of the current holder is displayed amidst one at the bottom of the shield. The noble family felt a strong similarity between Dorn and the hero of the legend, and have so since bolstered the ranks of the VII legion with many fine young astartes recruits, and the house of Minos is one of the most stoic supporters of the imperial fists among all the noble houses of Terra. The shield is usually worn in combat by the highest ranking astartes descending from the house of Minos, decreed by Dorn as an honour to the house and their dedication to support the VIIth legion and the great crusade"
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1825.jpg

The second wip tartaros terminator. Also here's a look at some of the bubble problems in the casts, but they will be covered with detail and GS later on, also the crux terminatus wll be removed to keep in style with the pre-heresy feel.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1826.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1827.jpg

Even though I was slightly disapointed with the termies, I was more than happy that my expectations to the IF brass etch were met + some :D
I have been a fan of photo etched detail for many years now and they never disappoint, and fw have really made a gem in the IF etch! Especially all the very small icons at the bottom or the frame are great for adding small detail.

So to show an example here's what I did to finish the commanders shoulderpad:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/commanderpad.jpg

I have detailed elsewhere how I got to the first stage, after this I used the tip of my exacto blade to inscribe the circle to create the outer rim, then I added the cracks akin to the fw style icons and then finally I added the brass etch fist. I caan only encourage people to go and buy these fw brass etch kits as they are worth every penny!

DapperAnarchist
26-04-2012, 12:23
I'm fully supportive of the Minotaur symbol, as the Minotaurs have a mysterious origin, and both their older and current heraldry has several elements in common with the Imperial Fists (most the yellow/bronze look), along with their stubbornness, skills at seigecraft and boarding actions, and direct tactics. So, it could well be that the Minotaurs were a Cursed Founding Chapter named for an old Imperial Fist story, and trying to make better Imperial Fists.

SDKFZ
26-04-2012, 17:47
Those new terminators look good, to bad theyve got all those bubbles. :(
Looks like theres some moldlines aswell.
Etchings look ace. Like that shoulderpad of yours.

/ SDKFZ

TheConverter15
26-04-2012, 19:12
Hmm, maybe the amount of errors is due to the set being a new cast? Still, like how dorn has eveolved slightly as well as the command termi! Brilliant stuff TDA :)

shaw3029
26-04-2012, 20:37
Looking very nice!

Dorn is looking really good. I might have to make him myself ;)

Jericho
26-04-2012, 21:38
Kinda surprised you didn't message FW to try and get replacement parts. Usually they'll replace ones that come in pretty bad shape. I guess in the end they aren't that bad, still better than many of your Finecast models off the shelf :p

the damned artificer
26-04-2012, 23:33
I'm fully supportive of the Minotaur symbol, as the Minotaurs have a mysterious origin, and both their older and current heraldry has several elements in common with the Imperial Fists (most the yellow/bronze look), along with their stubbornness, skills at seigecraft and boarding actions, and direct tactics. So, it could well be that the Minotaurs were a Cursed Founding Chapter named for an old Imperial Fist story, and trying to make better Imperial Fists.
I'm glad you like it, I find it works particularly well to link to (more) Greek mythology especially concerning the IF's as they did after all invent the LR Achilles :p Other than that there seems to be a great deal of Greek mythology involved in SM gear, like the tartaros armour, phopos pattern bolter, deimos pattern rhino chassis, LR proteus and so on.

Those new terminators look good, to bad theyve got all those bubbles. :(
Looks like theres some moldlines aswell.
Etchings look ace. Like that shoulderpad of yours.

/ SDKFZ
Yeah I haven't cleaned all the mould lines off yet, but generally it's salvageable so I don't think I will go through the whole replacement mill, I already wrote them about a mispackaged pair of legs and I would be happy just to get them atm so I can actually build a complete squad with 5 different pairs of legs.

Hmm, maybe the amount of errors is due to the set being a new cast? Still, like how dorn has eveolved slightly as well as the command termi! Brilliant stuff TDA :)
I don't know, I wouldn't think a new mold would result in bad casts, that is usually the case with old mold :) And thanks, Dorn is generally just the command everything :P

Looking very nice!

Dorn is looking really good. I might have to make him myself ;)
Ohh, I'd love to see your take on mr. Rogal mate :D Could be really cool :D

Kinda surprised you didn't message FW to try and get replacement parts. Usually they'll replace ones that come in pretty bad shape. I guess in the end they aren't that bad, still better than many of your Finecast models off the shelf :p
Yeah it is no way near as bad as I have tried with finecast, but still annoying though :P

PostinDirty
26-04-2012, 23:45
when are you painting that landspeeder? i'm hanging out to see that sucker done, I'm a huge fan of the old speeders and love your kit bash

the damned artificer
27-04-2012, 10:11
when are you painting that landspeeder? i'm hanging out to see that sucker done, I'm a huge fan of the old speeders and love your kit bash

Hopefully soon, but there's a lot of other stuff I have to do first sadly :/

the damned artificer
02-05-2012, 08:35
A quick update:

Tartaros terminators are shaping up nicely. I've used loads of brass etch parts on these to give them some detail, and they will all have shoulder decorations too.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1857copy.jpg

A wip techmarine/master of the forge, I am not sure if he'll be a part of this army, but he might end up being. The conersion beamer is based on the fw dreadnought siege hammer.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1852copy.jpg

I'd greatly appreciate some input on these, especially the MotF :)

No-One
02-05-2012, 08:46
Loving the terminators, the brass etch definitely makes them pop.

The techmarine/motf looks great as well, great use of the siege hammer, it works really well as the conversion beamer. Great conversion work on him overall.

Catferret
02-05-2012, 08:55
Loving the Master of the Forge. Having the gun hand held, but still attached to servo arms is how I envisioned them looking before I saw the FW version.

shaw3029
02-05-2012, 10:25
Great looking stuff.

I didnt like the look of the terminators at first but you have changed that. These guys look great! Especially the Sgt.

SDKFZ
02-05-2012, 14:38
Those terminators look ace, Mate ! Love that gunstyle conversionbeamer, great !

/ SDKFZ

Jericho
02-05-2012, 15:58
The etched brass looks great and you did a much better job posing these guys than the FW team did for the website :) Restored my confidence in the kit (although personally I would still be tempted to try to convert the powerfist to look more like Dreadnought CCW's somehow).

Can't wait to see paint on 'em.

the damned artificer
02-05-2012, 17:22
Loving the terminators, the brass etch definitely makes them pop.

The techmarine/motf looks great as well, great use of the siege hammer, it works really well as the conversion beamer. Great conversion work on him overall.

Thanks man :) I wish and hope that fw makes more different designs of brass etch in the future as they are brilliant.

Loving the Master of the Forge. Having the gun hand held, but still attached to servo arms is how I envisioned them looking before I saw the FW version.

Thanks, that is kinda how I had too, the fw one is really awesome, but this is a more boxy and little less steampunk inspired look.

Great looking stuff.

I didnt like the look of the terminators at first but you have changed that. These guys look great! Especially the Sgt.

Thanks man, I had a very big surge of inspiration regarding the sergeant and just decided to go a bit wild on him, I'm really glad you like him :)

Those terminators look ace, Mate ! Love that gunstyle conversionbeamer, great !

/ SDKFZ

Thanks mate, yeah gun-slinging that size weapons is only for the boss-men of Mars :P

The etched brass looks great and you did a much better job posing these guys than the FW team did for the website :) Restored my confidence in the kit (although personally I would still be tempted to try to convert the powerfist to look more like Dreadnought CCW's somehow).

Can't wait to see paint on 'em.
Thanks :D besides the bubble problems and generally not so great casts I still absolutely love the design of these minis :D Hmm, convert the pf's?? You mean to make them look even more like baby contemptors?? :p

Jericho
02-05-2012, 17:50
Assuming my plans are successful (buying some Tartaros pattern torsos/arms off a dude on Warseer) I plan on making my Word Bearer Termis out of these torsos with Grey Knight legs and (heavily trimmed down) GK heads. The DCCW style fists would just be too cool :D I have too much free time apparently!

the damned artificer
02-05-2012, 19:59
Assuming my plans are successful (buying some Tartaros pattern torsos/arms off a dude on Warseer) I plan on making my Word Bearer Termis out of these torsos with Grey Knight legs and (heavily trimmed down) GK heads. The DCCW style fists would just be too cool :D I have too much free time apparently!

Ohh make sure to give me a nod when you do, I'd love to see them :D And one can never have too much free time mate ;)

Breazer
03-05-2012, 10:23
woah....these look great...especially the techmarine...
i hope you will start painting them now :P

-BoBo-
03-05-2012, 10:42
Really love the terminators! It´s going to be a super sweet squad!

The Master of the forge is ace to! The weapon looks really nice! One thing thats bothering me though is the metal part on top of the weapon (the details dont have the same quality as the rest of the model + the skull is uppside down) but then again the conversion beamer is kind of a uppside down weapon :)
/BoBo

the damned artificer
03-05-2012, 14:19
woah....these look great...especially the techmarine...
i hope you will start painting them now :P
I plan on painting some of the stuff here soon, at least as soon as I have the time :D

Really love the terminators! It´s going to be a super sweet squad!

The Master of the forge is ace to! The weapon looks really nice! One thing thats bothering me though is the metal part on top of the weapon (the details dont have the same quality as the rest of the model + the skull is uppside down) but then again the conversion beamer is kind of a uppside down weapon :)
/BoBo

Thanks mate :D No I know there's some more work to do on the metal part of the gun, like turning the opus around :p I've toyed with the idea of putting in some more cables to cover up parts of the metal bit but let's see what I end up doing :D

Hadriel Caine
03-05-2012, 14:47
That's what FW meant to make those terminators look like. Good job on finishing the work. The Master of the Forge looks awesome!

Fizzy
03-05-2012, 14:58
Love this thread! My own pre heresy imperial fist army arrived today :)

Though I dont have termies but I will make my own sternguards ^^

Subbed! I might get alot of inspiration from here :)

the damned artificer
24-05-2012, 16:32
That's what FW meant to make those terminators look like. Good job on finishing the work. The Master of the Forge looks awesome!
Thanks man, glad you like them :)

Love this thread! My own pre heresy imperial fist army arrived today :)

Though I dont have termies but I will make my own sternguards ^^

Subbed! I might get alot of inspiration from here :)

Thanks, I'd love to see your army, do you have a plog ??

Time for a small update.

First off is a bit of progress on the big guy in charge, Dorn has got a sword! I decided to go with a blade as that is ultimately one of my favourite weapons and I'm actually not too big a fan of chainswords to be honest..
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/RD.jpg

I've also gotten the replacement legs for the mispackaged ones from FW and they threw in an extra frame of arms so I could build the guy I had left over as it took them almost 5 weeks to get me the replacements. So I decided to build a chaplain, and added quite a handful of extra bits.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/TERMICHAPLAIN.jpg

I've also been lucky enough to test out the awesome fast curing silicone products from Lamenter, sold over at http://masteroftheforge.com/ and it is some fantastic products! I used the liquid blu stuff, a fast setting 2 parts silicone rubber that cures in only 20 minutes!! This is a real time saver and is great for fast replication of your custom built parts :D
I used it to cast my scratch built shoulder pads for my cataphractii terminators, as it would have taken me ages to build pads for them all, and I have the option of adding more termies in the future (maybe some guest appearances from other legions, I have a few planned at least)
I'll have a ful review of the liquid blu stuff and also the fast setting silicone putty, blu stuff, up soon. I just need to test the blu stuff moulds of my custom built leather straps for the termies shoulders, which will be moulded in green stuff for maximum flexibility :)

Anyways, here's the termies as they look now.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN2112copy.jpg

I also had the time to fiddle around with some more veterans, but they are still very WIP.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN2127copy.jpg

That's all for now :)

SDKFZ
24-05-2012, 17:55
Great work, Mate (as usual:rolleyes:) ! Have to check out that new silicone you talked about.

Terminators look ace, like the mix of parts. I wish i had the eyes to see parts like you, Mate :(

The two marines/vets. have got some great potential. I like the poses.

/ SDKFZ

the damned artificer
25-05-2012, 10:16
Great work, Mate (as usual:rolleyes:) ! Have to check out that new silicone you talked about.

Terminators look ace, like the mix of parts. I wish i had the eyes to see parts like you, Mate :(

The two marines/vets. have got some great potential. I like the poses.

/ SDKFZ

Thanks mate :D Yeah the silicone are great, especially for small projects like this :P

And practice makes perfect mate ;) Although it's sometimes a curse, as it seriously slows down any project you're working on because there's an overflow of ideas, often leading to a lot of doubts and many times to you reworking the same mini 5 times before you settle on a design :P

shaw3029
25-05-2012, 10:45
The chaplain is perfect! Id say one of your best models so far. I am loving the old skool head on him.

Did you also cast the neck guards for the terminators? Or is that plasti card work? Good use of the helmet from the tank commander parts, looking very cool ;)

the damned artificer
25-05-2012, 10:59
The chaplain is perfect! Id say one of your best models so far. I am loving the old skool head on him.

Did you also cast the neck guards for the terminators? Or is that plasti card work? Good use of the helmet from the tank commander parts, looking very cool ;)

Thanks Mate :D I've had the termie chaplain head lying around for ages and wanted to do a proper chaplain that was more in style with the old termie chaplain. The new one is cool, really cool actually but everyone have him and I want to use my own as a DA one, so I decided it was about time I made an alternative chaplain and what better place to put him than right here in my yellow space marine army :D

No the neck guards are all plasticard, it's easier than casting them as they are quite simple. I was considering making a cast off of some of them, and I might do that still so I can make a bunch of identical neck guards :)

The Yak
25-05-2012, 11:31
This stuff is inspirational!!

Been through the whole plog and I'm lovin the amount of character that you are adding to each model. True Heroes every one of them.

Talking about heroes, Your Mr Dorn looks world class his dad will be so proud of him looking so mighty fine.

Other favourites include the Contemptor, the command squad and the cracking job you have done with the new Forgeworld terminators.

Keep up the great work!

PS: This log is one of the reasons I have decided to get back into 40k so cheers for that my wallet is just brimming with enthusiasm now...

the damned artificer
27-05-2012, 12:11
This stuff is inspirational!!

Been through the whole plog and I'm lovin the amount of character that you are adding to each model. True Heroes every one of them.

Talking about heroes, Your Mr Dorn looks world class his dad will be so proud of him looking so mighty fine.

Other favourites include the Contemptor, the command squad and the cracking job you have done with the new Forgeworld terminators.

Keep up the great work!

PS: This log is one of the reasons I have decided to get back into 40k so cheers for that my wallet is just brimming with enthusiasm now...

Thank you very much :D I actually started this army out as a sort of quick and easy army but it got out of hand (as it usually does for me) :P But I'm glad it did as I have wanted to do a pre-heresy army for years and it is really a great project and a nice way to get another spin on space marines.

And I'm sorry for being the cause of draining your wallet, but I hope you'll enjoy getting back into 40k ;)

the damned artificer
06-06-2012, 12:22
Update time:

Land Speeder has got a base:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LSBASE.jpg

Updates on the cataphract termies, the axe is from the tartaros ccw set, and the mace in the back will be replaced with the mace from that set as well both of which I've bought through my favorite ebay bits store. The straps from the shoulders have also been added to 3 of them, 2 still awaiting theirs and there'll be a tutorial soon on how I made them and how I cast up the shoulderpads for these from my original design.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/CATAPHRACT.jpg

The updated command squad, I ran out of grey primer so that's why the commander is only partially basecoated.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN2337copy.jpg

Painting has commenced on the tartaros termies as well.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/TARTAROS.jpg

And the chaplain has got a nice basic base paint job and a basecoat. More details will be added to the bases like leaves, skulls, shells etc later on.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/tartchaplain-1.jpg

A closeup of the updated chaplain, his crozius arcaneum still needs a bit of green stuff work.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/CHAPLAINUP.jpg

New sergeant for the veterans so they can be split up in two 5 man groups when Sigismund is in the command squad.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/VETSERGEANT.jpg

And some small progress on Dorn, not much but the base gives him a bit extra.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DORN.jpg

Lastly a coupl of half random pics from my painting table.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/WIP1.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/WIP2.jpg

Petay1985
06-06-2012, 16:50
looking wonderful fella, very promising work indeed. Dorn looks magnificent as one would expect of the Emperor's sons, i like the chaplain conversion, interestingly i am working on something based around Enkomi myself, i look forward to seeing your imagining finished. The tartaros terminators are looking splendid also, and it would be remiss of me not to leave comment on them. looking foward to seeing your progress.

the damned artificer
06-06-2012, 21:46
looking wonderful fella, very promising work indeed. Dorn looks magnificent as one would expect of the Emperor's sons, i like the chaplain conversion, interestingly i am working on something based around Enkomi myself, i look forward to seeing your imagining finished. The tartaros terminators are looking splendid also, and it would be remiss of me not to leave comment on them. looking foward to seeing your progress.

Thanks mate :) I'm actually really glad I started work on Dorn as it is turning out to be one of my favorite models in the army :)

Well what can I say, Enkomi is just a really cool model :p I'm not surprised you're doing a conversion based on the same model, he'll fit in right in with the theme of your army :D

droken
06-06-2012, 21:50
Inspiring plog. Will be following this. Keep up the good work! :D

Subscribed!

Also, is that printed blueprints from IA on your table? :P

the damned artificer
06-06-2012, 22:35
Inspiring plog. Will be following this. Keep up the good work! :D

Subscribed!

Also, is that printed blueprints from IA on your table? :P

Thanks :) And no the blueprints is from the cover of IA model masterclass vol 1 ;) My work table is white glass :)

Breazer
06-06-2012, 23:03
Yes!! i see some more yellow on these...you have no idea how much i wanna see what your models look like painted...

constant_ones
07-06-2012, 05:06
You're use of the brass etch is so great, love the storm shields. Great Dorn conversion as well!

the damned artificer
07-06-2012, 14:05
Yes!! i see some more yellow on these...you have no idea how much i wanna see what your models look like painted...
Thanks man, I really needed to paint something yellow after a big streak of GK is finally done, sadly I have to finish the rest of the GK next so it'll be a brief visit to the lands of yellow for now but I'll sneak in some once in a while in between all the silver dudes :p

You're use of the brass etch is so great, love the storm shields. Great Dorn conversion as well!
Thanks :) I can really only encourage people to use brass etched details as it is really satisfying :D And forge world's selection is getting bigger and bigger fortunately :chrome:

jønke
07-06-2012, 14:53
Awesome work as allways. I especially digg the chaplain. Now splash some paint on those dolls!!

BrotherTearz
07-06-2012, 15:26
This army captures my eyes and won't let go :) brilliant and inspirational stuff in here

the damned artificer
07-06-2012, 17:22
Awesome work as allways. I especially digg the chaplain. Now splash some paint on those dolls!!
My goal is to get the tartaros termies and tartaros chaplain done soon, they might be on show at Randers Figur Festival if I manage to get them done by then (in case you're going) but if not at least the contemptor will :D

This army captures my eyes and won't let go :) brilliant and inspirational stuff in here

BeatTheBeat
07-06-2012, 22:25
Those Tartaros termies are the bees knees! Great to see some paint on these, I've seen a lot of them built on here but few painted, if any. If yours are really the first, they truly set the bar high...

Cheers,
BTB

Dryaktylus
07-06-2012, 23:10
Stunning army.:)

But... every time I look at the helmless Tartarus Terminator I must think of a giant, yellow... croaking frog!:D

the damned artificer
08-06-2012, 00:04
Those Tartaros termies are the bees knees! Great to see some paint on these, I've seen a lot of them built on here but few painted, if any. If yours are really the first, they truly set the bar high...

Cheers,
BTB
Thanks man :D I don't think I've seen many of them around sadly, I'd love to see what others did with them :)

Stunning army.:)

But... every time I look at the helmless Tartarus Terminator I must think of a giant, yellow... croaking frog!:D

Ahahahaha damn :p I've never looked at the sergeant that way before, but now you've ruined it for me XD They will now be known as the imperial fist kermies instead XD

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
08-06-2012, 09:44
Impressive. I really like those Imeperial Fists (bases look good as well). Can't wait to see your future updates.

the damned artificer
08-06-2012, 14:02
Impressive. I really like those Imeperial Fists (bases look good as well). Can't wait to see your future updates.

Thanks man, hope this next one falls in your taste.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2081copy.jpg

This is a review of the silicone products for replicating personal parts sold by Lamenter over at http://masteroftheforge.com/store/
The products Blu-Stuff and Liquid Blu-Stuff is silicone based, fast setting putty and regular rubber with a 1:1 mix ratio.
They are ideal for a vast amount of casting techniques and are compatible with most epoxy putties, plaster and resin (with exception of Smooth-Cast 300 Series products as there seems to be a negative chemical reaction between the two products).

The following will be a small tutorial to how I've used the products in practical on a modelling project that benefits from both the products strengths.
Then I'll summarize my experiences with the products and give them a rating in classic review style.

Enjoy! :D

The project is to duplicate my shoulder pad design for my cataphract armoured terminators for my pre-heresy army.

First step is to make a mould of the shoulder pad, I used the original and a replica cast with a previous mould to enable me to make new moulds containing a pair which can be cast up in one casting session.
The shoulder pads are attached to a piece of plasticard to give an even surface for the top of the mould.

Then a frame/form is constructed out of LEGO blocks and lined with plasticine to reduce excess waste of silicone. as this was my first mould with Liquid Blu-Stuff I took a few precautions and strengthened and sealed the frame/form to make sure it was liquid proof. This turned out to be a waste of time as the curing time of the silicone prevents it from running much before it sets.
The next phase is to measure up equal parts of the silicone and miw them. The silicone is supplied with 2 mixing cups, but for this particular project I opted for some smaller ones I had myself as they were a bit more handy.
The silicone is stirred carefully to avoid too many bubbles being trapped and when the colour is even it is poured into the frame/form in the corner to avoid air from being trapped as much as possible. After working on other forms with this I have concluded that due to the fast curing time of the silicone, more detailed parts can benefit hugely from having the silicone applied with an old brush first before filling the frame/form up as this helps catch the urface detail better and prevent bubbles.

After 20 minutes curing time the silicone is completely set and ready to be removed, trimmed and used. I used Sika G26 Polyurethane Casting Resin from Sylmasta http://www.sylmasta.com/acatalog/copy_of_Sika_Casting_Resins.html to cast the shoulder pads, and the only preperation I did to the moulds before casting was to dust them off with talcum powder which helps the resin flow and also to prevent too many bubbles.

I made two moulds, and they worked out brilliantly.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2082copy.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2085copy.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2090copy.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2093copy.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2094copy.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2096copy.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2100copy.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2102copy.jpg

the damned artificer
08-06-2012, 14:03
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2109copy.jpg

Then it was time to make my leather straps to cover the joints between the shoulder and the pads. I made a simple plasticard design and mounted it permanently on a piece of plasticard for an even surface for the final mould, I should have made it bigger so I could avoid getting an edge on the moulds which makes it harder to flatten the cast but I didn't want to redo it.
Then I lined up equal measures of each part of the Blu-Stuff silicone putty and mixed them thoroughly til the colour was even, before pressing it onto the design. The putty cures very fast, and I found it hard to prevent bubbles from being trapped even though I rolled the putty up in a ball and pressed it out from the middle of the part, but it isn't a big problem on a cast like this and I'm sure practice makes perfect, I've definitely gotten better results with other press moulds with the putty afterwards.

Since I need to make a lot of these I made 4 more moulds and used some green stuff to cast them as this allowed me to get them flexible enough to pose them and give them a natural heavy leather strap look with the right curves. It takes some practice to smooth the green stuff out in the mould as there is absolutely no traction from the form, it won't hold the putty in place and releases very easily even when the putty is still soft. My solution was to use a bit of saliva to prevent my sculpting tool from sticking to the green stuff (petrolium jelly might work as well but it will take some cleaning to get the greasy film off after the green stuff have cured) and tearing it out of the mould, and I am sure a rubber clay shaper would have been a better choice than my metal one.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2273copy.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2275copy.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2290copy.jpg

Then the casts, both resin and green stuff, were trimmed and cleaned and ready to use on the terminators.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/reviews/DSCN2294copy.jpg

Summary:

The products are extremely easy to use, they don't make a lot off mess as you can peal off any spills of silicone on your table and they speed up small mould making projects like rocket fuel :D All in all I am very pleased with the results I've gotten.

Liquid Blu-Stuff:
Compared to the type of silicone I usually use which have a de-mould time of 24 hours according to the label (only 8 according to the specs on the website? but my personal experience is between 18-24 hours) this is super fast to use with a de-mould time of only 20 minutes!! This however makes it harder to get rid of bubbles and I'd personally recommend it for small/medium sized casting projects as I think it would be hard to cover parts properly without too much trapped air on larger parts as you really don't have a ot of time to work with it as the pot life is only around 2-3 minutes before it starts getting really thick.
Price wise it is more expensive than the regular rubber I use which comes at £29.40 for 1kg as opposed to the £16.99 for 200 grams of liquid Blu-Stuff but the fact that it has a ridiculously short de-mould time ( again, only 20 minutes! :D ) makes it well worth the money as it saves you a lot of precious modeling time, a thing most of us already have too little off.

Based on the few disadvantages which is mainly the lack of time to prevent air bubbles and the slightly high pricetag I give it a 9/10 as the advantages of this rubber still far outweigh the disadvantages, and it really is a splendid tool for anyone who ventures in the realm of casting. Also check out the tutorial by Lamenter himself on using different epoxy putties with the product and others at http://masteroftheforge.com/category/4converting/molds-and-casting/

Blu-Stuff:
I have played around with making press moulds for several years now, and have tried a few things like other putties for forms and latest the easymold re-usable sticks and based on my experience this product is in the top two of what I would recommend for making press moulds or resin casts without undercuts. The other one is instant mold.
They each have their strengths and weaknesses. instant mold's strongest asset is the ability to re-use the material again and again and its flexibility, but the fact that you need to submerge it in hot water to soften it makes it hard to catch deep detail without trapping either air, water or both and that it hardens to a milky translucent colour makes it very hard to see if you actually captured the intended degree of detail.
The Blu-Stuff silicone putty's biggest strengths are the weaknesses of instant mold, as it cures in a nice light blue colour where it is very easy to see if you got the desired degree of detail depth, and it doesn't need interference with water as it's a two component putty means that you only have to worry about trapping air and also the putty in uncured form is much softer than the instant mold gets even after being in boiling water. The downside is that it can't be reused and that makes it more suitable for press-moulds that is intended for use several times. it also lacks the flexibility of instant mold which means it restricts you to replicating things with very little or no undercuts. I personally thinks Blu-Stuff gives sharper and more defined edges than you get with instant mold which for some components like non organic objects is a big plus, and it renders softer curves just as well. It is neither better or worse than instant mold, as I would rate them the same and they are both invaluable tools for press-moulding and certainly the best on the market. The price is fair imo, you get a 100g for £9.99 and 200g for £15.99 which is okay.

My rating is a solid 8/10 based on the fact that it is one of two equally good products available today, neither of which can be rated as perfect due to their separate weaknesses but they are still the best available and it'll be hard to top them.

I hope you'll have enjoyed reading this review, I certainly had a fun time with these great products and will inevitably continue to :)

Products kindly supplied by Lamenter, thank you mate.

Hadriel Caine
08-06-2012, 14:24
THis has just become my favourite project log on warseer. THe conversions are wonderfully posed and composed. I particularly like Dorn, great stuff looks liek a Primarch should but without being OTT. I really like the terminator sergeant in the last post too. I was looking to get that head for one of my terminators too. I think your painting is great. Very realistic and gritty. Also the bases. Any elements I have missed I apologise. Because they too are cool.

More please!

A.

also sweet Land speeder conversion.

shaw3029
08-06-2012, 14:47
Superb stuff!

Loving the new sgt with the head plume.

unwanted
11-06-2012, 11:35
Long time since I checked in here, and wow, you're really going places. Dorn is shaping up really nicely, and I absolutely love that you're not going all-out gigantism with him!

the damned artificer
11-06-2012, 13:33
THis has just become my favourite project log on warseer. THe conversions are wonderfully posed and composed. I particularly like Dorn, great stuff looks liek a Primarch should but without being OTT. I really like the terminator sergeant in the last post too. I was looking to get that head for one of my terminators too. I think your painting is great. Very realistic and gritty. Also the bases. Any elements I have missed I apologise. Because they too are cool.

More please!

A.

also sweet Land speeder conversion.
Thanks a lot :) I do my best to make something that is instinctively my own style painting and building combined, and I must say it's a great feeling when people likes my work :D

On the matter of the head, it's unfortunately one of the kits that are being spin castby FW and the one eye on this head (bought through a bits store on ebay) was slightly undefined and I generally get the feeling that their spin cast stuff is really bad, at least that's my experience so far... But fingers crossed they realize that and either defines the technique or stops using it altogether :)

Superb stuff!

Loving the new sgt with the head plume.

Thanks mate :)

Long time since I checked in here, and wow, you're really going places. Dorn is shaping up really nicely, and I absolutely love that you're not going all-out gigantism with him!

Thanks :) Yeah it was really important to me when deciding to give a primarch a try that he was properly scaled, and fitted in with his men in terms of style and overall feel as he is their progenitor after all. Also I often find that the numerous, albeit very good, versions done by third party sculptors lack that specific GW/FW feel to them for obvious reasons (no one likes a lawsuit) and that has always kept me from buying any of them. I also tend not to like to introduce too many third party bits to my build, as I enjoy making them myself a lot more and relish the opportunity to find new uses for the parts produced by GW/FW :)

the damned artificer
10-08-2012, 13:46
Time for a small update, as I've been asked to showcase some mniatures tomorrow at a Danish tournament I thought it would be fitting to get some of the fists done, so here's a little WIP of how things were looking yesterday :) Closeups will follow after the weekend (and me finishing painting them tonight)

So here's what I hope to be done with by tonight, but realistically I'll probably not manage to finish the speeder and commander but I'll try.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN2641copy.jpg

Here's the progress on the commander so far.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN2650copy.jpg

And the speeder have also gotten some yellow (finally) :D
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN2648copy.jpg

All the while the crew is pole dancing :p
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN2649copy.jpg

That's all for now, gotta go paint some more :D

SDKFZ
10-08-2012, 16:40
LOL, i just scared the rest of the family looking at your speedercrew:D

Now thats a awesome pre. SM army youve got now, Mate. I like it alot.

Good luck at that tournament, playing or just showing (off) :angel:

/ SDKFZ

the damned artificer
10-08-2012, 16:57
Thanks mate, and I'm just there to showcase models, and as the guest judge in the accompanying painting competition :D

SDKFZ
10-08-2012, 17:06
Great :D

Now that youve risen to the rank of painting comp.judge ill never dare bring any models over to you anymore :eek::p

/ SDKFZ

the damned artificer
10-08-2012, 17:14
Hey that's not fair :p

Jericho
10-08-2012, 18:02
Ooh that pic of the pilots gives me an idea for my own design, using Attack Bike parts. I don't feel like hunting down the old metal speeders :p

ilikebmxbikes
11-08-2012, 01:56
really well made conversions. everything in here looks awesome.

Breazer
13-08-2012, 08:59
yay he is finally painting...huzzah!!!!!

Atia
13-08-2012, 11:01
Amazing stuff brother =) it would be cool if you add an achilles land raider or an helios land raider (maybe an proteus land raider with an old whirlwind tower), and this http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/SPACE-MARINE-BOARDING-ASSAULT-UPGRADE-SET.html would also work very nice with the imperial fist theme (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Shadows-of-treachery.jpg in this book, they have that siege mantlets).

Keep it up :> For Dorn, and the Emperor! Save Terra :P

the damned artificer
13-08-2012, 15:11
Ooh that pic of the pilots gives me an idea for my own design, using Attack Bike parts. I don't feel like hunting down the old metal speeders :p
Sounds interesting, I'd love to see it if/when you start it up :D

really well made conversions. everything in here looks awesome.
Thanks man, your BA thread was one of a few that really reminded me how much I love marines and made me return to them, so I'm glad you like my work :)

yay he is finally painting...huzzah!!!!!
Yeah, and it feels goooooood :chrome: I'll have more pictures soon ;)

Amazing stuff brother =) it would be cool if you add an achilles land raider or an helios land raider (maybe an proteus land raider with an old whirlwind tower), and this http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/SPACE-MARINE-BOARDING-ASSAULT-UPGRADE-SET.html would also work very nice with the imperial fist theme (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Shadows-of-treachery.jpg in this book, they have that siege mantlets).

Keep it up :> For Dorn, and the Emperor! Save Terra :P

Yeah I was considering making an achilles, but my biggest problem is that it is a mkIII land raider it's based on, but I was considering buyng one and a proteus and converting it, but it would cost me like £150 and I'm not villing to pay that XD I was however considering converting one to a mkIIb chassis, and scratch building the angled sponsons for it :) And the boarding assault kit is on my to-buy list for my next FW purchase so you need not worry ;)

the damned artificer
13-08-2012, 22:24
So the first few models are done, the tartaros terminator, the Proteus and contemptor too, so I'm pretty happy :)

Here's a few pics from the weekend, I got a chance to snap a few on this lovely CoD table they had :D

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN2663copy.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/WP_000201copy2.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/WP_000202.jpg

SDKFZ
14-08-2012, 06:09
Hey i saw that ! You didnt tell me you were bringing the reaver ! :D

Looking great, taking pics. of your models on a painted and kited out gameboard must be great. Wish i could find the time to finally build some terrain for my RoB.
Youve made these fists look really good, Mate. Love the worn look on them.

/ SDKFZ

the damned artificer
14-08-2012, 12:04
Yeah I did :D

Yeah I grabbed the first opportunity to take oictures on the board as I have no way near finished the one I'm working on myself yet :p

And thanks mate :D

Gearhart
15-08-2012, 17:03
Just wow....i saw a beautiful pic of facebook the other day and i just had to come and see wht youve been up to and im speechless.....i am quite evious. Keep up the great work !

tcraigen
15-08-2012, 18:57
Amazing looking your new stuff looks wonderful. I just picked up the termies and the contemptor myself and I'm in love with these models. Its been a while since I've fallen in love with new stuff. Yours inspire me to take my time and not rush my work. Keep up the good work, I also love your chaplain and Dorn.

Gropius
15-08-2012, 19:32
This thread is pretty amazing. Your version of Dorn is definitely my all time favourite. The proportions are really good. As is the posing. I am looking forward to more updates.

the damned artificer
17-08-2012, 14:36
Just wow....i saw a beautiful pic of facebook the other day and i just had to come and see wht youve been up to and im speechless.....i am quite evious. Keep up the great work !
Thanks mate, what've you been up to lately?? Haven't seen your lovelyIF's around in a while :)

Amazing looking your new stuff looks wonderful. I just picked up the termies and the contemptor myself and I'm in love with these models. Its been a while since I've fallen in love with new stuff. Yours inspire me to take my time and not rush my work. Keep up the good work, I also love your chaplain and Dorn.
Thanks man, and I knw exactly how you feel, I feel completely in love with those very same models myself. Let me know when you've posted some pics so I can see what you make of the models ;D

This thread is pretty amazing. Your version of Dorn is definitely my all time favourite. The proportions are really good. As is the posing. I am looking forward to more updates.
Thanks a lot, hopefully there'll be an update soon with new stuff, until then you're gonna have to enjoy this update.

Update:

I had a great visit from a good friend the othr day, SDKFZ took his motorcycle out for a spin and ended in sunny Denmark and he brought company for my IF's :D

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/SDKFZvisits6.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/SDKFZvisits2.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/SDKFZvisits1.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/SDKFZvisits3.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/SDKFZvisits4.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Random/SDKFZvisits5.jpg

The models are great, and the leviathan honestly nearly didn't make it back to Sweden as I was very tempted to David Copperfield'ing it XD

I also got some awesome bits, mainly for iron warriors, but they will make an appearance in my IW thread at some point, but I also got some pretty sweet plastic bits from Japan :chrome: Thanks again mate :D

For those of you not familiar with SDKFZ's work go check out his awesome stuff, especially his reaver titan which is amazing Check his threads out here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/search.php?searchid=287398)

Petay1985
17-08-2012, 17:01
Looking absolutely sterling fella. a sight to behold by any standard.

unwanted
17-08-2012, 20:15
Love the Tartaros Termies, and that Captain is outstanding. Good job of removing Sicarius' insignia, he looks great in yellow!

Gearhart
19-08-2012, 04:02
Haha idk about lovely fists but i had taken A break the overwelming number of points got to me but as soon as i get a few more paints and the camera back ill certainly start updating agian i miss all of yall. Hopefully ill have a few things to show for my absence....and i hsve to admit i found a few orks recently and painted a few haha

SDKFZ
19-08-2012, 17:47
Thanks alot, Mate ! That was a very pleasant trip i had to Denmark. Loads of inspiration and some wounderful time spent with a fellow builder (and GF:D).

After seeing tda:s models live, i can only say, they look even better IRL :D
Do wish i could paint like this guy :(

Ill have to see if any of my pics. are good enough for the forum, if so ill post them later.

Thanks for having me over and "bumping" me, Mate !

/ SDKFZ

Breazer
20-08-2012, 10:07
very nice looking models...of both that is...
the big tank looks very convincing SDFKZ...he could have been a plastic kit to buy just like that...

Just that the link to the threads doesnt work for me

the damned artificer
20-08-2012, 14:03
Looking absolutely sterling fella. a sight to behold by any standard.
Thanks mate :)

Love the Tartaros Termies, and that Captain is outstanding. Good job of removing Sicarius' insignia, he looks great in yellow!
Thanks, it wasn't actually that hard to remove the UM insignia, the hard part was hollowing og his shoulder pad XD

Haha idk about lovely fists but i had taken A break the overwelming number of points got to me but as soon as i get a few more paints and the camera back ill certainly start updating agian i miss all of yall. Hopefully ill have a few things to show for my absence....and i hsve to admit i found a few orks recently and painted a few haha
Ohh orks, not good mate ;D looking forward to seeing your work around here again!

Thanks alot, Mate ! That was a very pleasant trip i had to Denmark. Loads of inspiration and some wounderful time spent with a fellow builder (and GF:D).

After seeing tda:s models live, i can only say, they look even better IRL :D
Do wish i could paint like this guy :(

Ill have to see if any of my pics. are good enough for the forum, if so ill post them later.

Thanks for having me over and "bumping" me, Mate !

/ SDKFZ
It was great having you over mate, looking forward to seeing you again and thanks again to you and your brother for the awesome bits ;D
And you're way to modest, your models look brilliant, also the paint job ;D And I'll gladly promote you again if I get the chance! So you're welcome.

And just to clarify for everyone else, the GF is not meant as a pun on me, my girlfriend was also there when SDKFZ's visited me XD

very nice looking models...of both that is...
the big tank looks very convincing SDFKZ...he could have been a plastic kit to buy just like that...

Just that the link to the threads doesnt work for me
Yeah I know, apparently you can't link a search on users posts... Silly me, but he's frequently posting here so go check his profile out.

Update time:

A better picture of the tartaros terminators:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/tartarostermiesdone.jpg

And then painting is progressing on the Land Speeder:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LSwip1.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LSwip2.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LSwip3.jpg
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/LSwip4.jpg

The tail number and diamonds icon are meant to be squadron number and insignia as I really like the iconic look of playing card logos, and I intend to incorporate them into the fluff like i did the ace of spades :) I try to differ from using company markings as I like the idea that the army, under Rogal Dorn or the first captains command, is comprised of units from the entire legion, and not just one company and that vehicles in general doesn't display specific company markings as they are all part of the legions arsenal. But that may of course change along the way if it turns out to be too hard to keep track of. The laurel on the nose is from the old 2nd ed devastator marines transfer sheet and I thought it looked awesome and could easily act to denote the speeder as being assigned to the first company for now.

SDKFZ
20-08-2012, 19:30
Well, thanks anyhow, Mate ;)

Had a look on my pics. and some of them are useful.

A bit blurry, but its fun to see a whole kitchen table full of beautiful models.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/finvovve/004-57.jpg

tda:s great treminators and raider.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/finvovve/007-16.jpg

Guess you know this guy.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/finvovve/009-5.jpg

The landspeeder
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/finvovve/014-1.jpg

My malcaruss looks on cautiously as the imperial fists do their stuff.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/finvovve/006-26.jpg

Any time, Mate !

/ SDKFZ

Nostro
21-08-2012, 15:28
Sweet stuff in there. I especially like Dorn. Where's is head from? It serms I missed it if you said so and can't find te courage to re-read the thread, I'd only end up looking at the pictures anyway. :p

Edit: nevremind, in the meantime I went idling on the FW site: Mk IV Command set?

the damned artificer
21-08-2012, 16:16
Sweet stuff in there. I especially like Dorn. Where's is head from? It serms I missed it if you said so and can't find te courage to re-read the thread, I'd only end up looking at the pictures anyway. :p

Edit: nevremind, in the meantime I went idling on the FW site: Mk IV Command set?

Thanks man, and nope ;) it's Huron blackhearts head, the tyrant of badab himself ;)