PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts lizardmen

Elannion
20-04-2006, 22:19
Right i posted this awhile back but no one ever replied, this is slightly modified though. This is a concept really i haven't got round to playing it (because i still haven't got around to assembling and painting the extra models i need), the idea is that i love kroxigor so i thought hmm two units in an army and i have never tried saurus cavalry out properly so i thought add a unit.

Shaman 135pts
Lvl 2 Diadem of power

Shaman 100pts
Lvl 2

Saurus Scar-vet 106pts
Great weapon, light armour, mark of quetzl

10 Saurus 144pts
Champion Standard bearer

10 Saurus 144pts
Champion Standard bearer

10 Saurus 144pts
Champion Standard bearer

10 skinks 70pts
Scout Blowpipe

10 skinks 70pts
Scout Blowpipe

10 skinks 60pts
Javalin or blowpipe

10 skinks 60pts
Javalin or blowpipe

5 Saurus Cavelry 235pts
Champion Standard bearer

3 Kroxigors 174pts

3 Kroxigors 174pts

5 Terradons 175pts

Stegadon 235pts

Right i think thats about 1963pts so i have some points to spare however there are a few disputable points.

The Shaman, I don't know if there is an awful lot of point in having two as there is a high chance i won't get many spells off, in which case i could switch to one lvl 1 with the diadem and be pretty nicely protected (possibly throw in a mark of tepoc too).

Some people may say throw in something else for that scar vet, though i don't know if it needs it and i don't like bringing to much for my characters.

The saurus, should i bring them as they are? or with 2 units of 15? or i could possibly have 2 units of 10 and one unit of 14 (joined with the scar vet), if not then the scar vet unit could be made into a unit of 12 (or is 2 ranks of 6 not useable?). I like the idea of having three units because i feel as slow units in the army they need to be mass (though i know technically 2x15 is the same as 3x10, the three seems abit easier to spread and also is in nice cheap units).

The cavalry probably should have a standard.

I could take some terradons out, though i think 5 is quite a nice unit its very resiliant and terradons are supprisingly good in combats. 3 i think is too small because one will probably get killed and then you get less power though i suppose it could be 4.

Also people like salamanders however obviously anything i add in means i have to find the points from somewhere.

This isn't a tourny list, bassicly the skinks that aren't scouting can spread thinly and sheild the main combat units that aren't about, the scouting ones will do what scouts do :P and also sneak about the flanks and try and get shots in there. The army will hold back for the saurus, though if need be they can break loose fast if they can't afford to be slow.

Ivan the Terrible
21-04-2006, 02:30
I think your Saurus units are too small, I would go with 2 units of 16, or one of twenty and one of 10. Also, you'll hear this a lot, but you must have some salamanders. They are the best unit in the army and fun to use. As for the cavalry, most people would recomend the Standard of Huanchi. Also, I think you should have musicians in your units. I agree with you comments about the mage priests with magic you either do all or nothing. One priest with a couple of scrolls along with the terradons should handle most magical threats.

Flypaper
21-04-2006, 05:22
As for the cavalry, most people would recomend the Standard of Huanchi.
I wouldn't. I find that a simple Warbanner is much more reliable for fewer points.

...I do agree that pretty much everything should run a musician, though. If you're MSUing your saurus then by definition you'll be fleeing more often - hence a muso being more valuable than a champ.

(and in the Cavalry's case that single extra attack is downright overcosted!)

What's the point to the Scar-Vet? If you want him to pump a saurus block, why not just spend the points on more saurus? As it is you should probably give him either Ye Olde Jaguar Charm or a Cold One for mobility (or he could join the cavalry block to make it hittier).

Alex Under
21-04-2006, 09:05
I'd go for larger saurus units too. I can't say much about the list 'cos I don't play LM since last edition, and of course, rules have changed although I would keep the skinks as they are. I played a LM army recently with the same amount of skinks (4 units of 10) and they were very, very pesky little buggers...

Elannion
21-04-2006, 19:39
you must have some salamanders

I like them however i wouldn't want to give up too many of my units for the sake of them.

Flypaper, would you say then that it is best for me to drop the champ in the riders and swap to a musician? or simly to have a musician?

The Idea of the scar-vet is, to beef up the saurus and offer up his Ld to anything in range, so to bring up his unit of saurus to a better combat unit even though they are small. Jaguar charm i think is nice but its overused so i don't really want it, also i don't want my cavalry to be too many more points that they are already, because that seems a big points sink really.

I think i could beef up two of the saurus units and maybe leave the vets unit smaller :S though i dunno, its all very well and good to say more saurus :P but its a similar situation to the salamanders.

But i think i would drop that shaman and drop the other to lvl 1 so that will give me 135 more pts to spend.

Flypaper
22-04-2006, 06:44
Flypaper, would you say then that it is best for me to drop the champ in the riders and swap to a musician? or simly to have a musician?
Drop the champ. He's what we in the business like to describe as "horrifically expensive". :p

The Idea of the scar-vet is, to beef up the saurus and offer up his Ld to anything in range, so to bring up his unit of saurus to a better combat unit even though they are small.
I don't think a MSU army can afford to huddle like that - keeping your Krox and javelin skinks close enough to benefit from the Ld means you lose a lot of the advantages you get from multiple units in the first place. And, of course, it doesn't matter to the Saurus since theirs is the same. :(

Combat wise, as I noted, a fully ranked unit of Saurus Warriors (16 with full command is less points than your existing saurus plus the scar-vet) will provide more and more consistent combat resolution than the 'vet would. About the only reason to keep him really is if you don't want to buy/paint the extra models. ;)

I know the JSoD is overused - that's why I ditched Saurus heroes from my list entirely. With only 8 Ld they're only usefull for their combat skills... And if that's what you're using them for it's best to give them something to compensate for that M4.

Elannion
22-04-2006, 15:43
Right if i dropped my priest to lvl 1 and dropped the other priest that leaves me with enough to get two salamanders and gives me an extra 5 pts, if i drop the champ and bring in a musician that will give me some more, Also i think maybe i will have 2 units of 15 saurus.

However if i drop the scar vet aswell that leaves me with like 1 hero in my 2000pts army, what do you suggest i do?

Flypaper
23-04-2006, 09:37
However if i drop the scar vet aswell that leaves me with like 1 hero in my 2000pts army, what do you suggest i do?
Lizardmen are amongst the armies that need to rely on characters least in all of Warhammer. Only taking a single hero isn't a problem, and might even net you some points in composition scores somewhere. :)

About the only real reason to take more (since you can always slap on some Tepok marks if you need more magic defense) would be if you're light on money or painting time - characters provide more bang for the literal buck in this case. :p

Edit: realised that a "literal buck" is actually a male deer. Decided I liked my original sentence too much to change it, though. :cool:

Elannion
23-04-2006, 15:41
Haha well i was thinking that it just felt weird :P, but the fact that saurus don't need Ld and skinks will be out skinking i guess the 12" is too short for that. in which case i have lots of points to spend now :P. Stegadon tempts me :P but that would mean no salamanders and its probably not a good idea. Probably should be some more saurus you think? or swarms i guess though i am not so keen on them in this edition *sighs because he has 5 bases of swarms hanging about*

Flypaper
24-04-2006, 00:58
Yeah, just pad out the Saurus, I reckon.

Swarms could be useful as an advancing force used to tie up cavalry for a turn - M5 with skirmish makes them quite mobile. I'm ultimately not all that keen on them either, though, as they're quite expensive for what's ultimately being used as a sacrificial unit. That's ten skinks per base!

...If you do use them I'd recommend no more or less than two bases - three in a more mobile army.

Elannion
24-04-2006, 21:51
yeah thats what i feel the comparison of them to skinks is enough to put me off them mainly really. Two stegadons would be well fun though :P *must resist the urge*