PDA

View Full Version : 3k woodies. Will this work?!

macattack428
22-12-2011, 04:53
Hey all. I've been away for a few but just recently got back into the game. Started reading the woodies tactica and was inspired to make a 3,000 point list that wasn't the standard guard, dryads, kin , life mage etc... It's a work in progress so please comment!

Dancer Lord - 295
Stone rebirth, blades of Loec, Crown of command

Beast Weaver Lvl 4 - 350
Wych Elm, preservation amulet

Wild Rider Noble - 157
Steed, Dawn Spear

11 wild riders - 322
Full command

15 Dancers - 291
Full command

5 kin - 325

5 kin - 325

3 units of 12 GG - 496
All with SB, music. One with flame standard.

12 dryads - 144

12 dryads - 144

3 eagles - 150

Smash mouth woodies! I think it could work. Might change a few things around to get a BSB in there...

22-12-2011, 05:11
5 Kin? Does that mean they are 5 wide or 3 and then 2 in the back?

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
22-12-2011, 06:30
5 Kin? Does that mean they are 5 wide or 3 and then 2 in the back?

They are probably going to be 5 wide as having 2 in the back really doesn't accomplish anything (no rank bonus and one extra rank that can take damage from cannon type warmachines isn't such a good idea).

Maybe macattack428 could break them up into 6 and 4 instead so one unit can get a rank bonus? maybe even 3, 3, & 4 to spread out the close combat potential among the Wood Elves battleline?

macattack428
22-12-2011, 23:06
I usually run them 3+2. You have a much small frontage for maneuvering and still get in all your attacks (less 2 stomps).

23-12-2011, 21:12
yeah 5 is such a weird number for me personally. I'd run them in 3/4/6 but 5 i just can't fathom for some reason. lol. My chaos trolls and ogres run 3x2

Lebowski
23-12-2011, 23:12
will it work? i don't think so. You have just about the smallest WE 3k army I have seen in a bit. I would laugh at this list with either my O&G or my VC, but is this really a take all comers list?

I could see it doing okay against low T armies out there though....

WoodElfGeneral
24-12-2011, 21:49
i'm skeptically. If you already have the models, try it. If you don't, don't buy them to try it.

WizzyWarlock
25-12-2011, 10:25
I'd shift things around a bit to get this:

Wardancer Highborn - Blades of Loec, Stone of Rebirth, Crown of Command
Life Spellweaver - Wand of Wych Elm, Amaranthine Brooch
Wild Rider Noble - Dawnspear

12 Glade Guard - Banner, Musician
12 Dryads
12 Dryads

9 Wild Riders - Champion, Banner of Eternal Flame
14 Wardancers - Champion, Musician
6 Treekin
6 Treekin

Great Eagle
Great Eagle

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'd rather use a Life Spellweaver in this list due to the lack of characters. I find the Beast list to be a good one if there's a lot of characters you can boost up, otherwise the list is a little weak. I'd rather increased toughness, regrowth and dwellers.

Why move the Eternal Flame to the Wild Riders? Because I've had awesome success with that. Also it's better than putting it into a unit of Glade Guard as the regenerating unit you want to shoot at might be in combat. With the Wild Riders they can flank charge and you get the Banner, or just straight charge and take on the target themselves. I've had them kill a Hellpit in one turn with this so it's well worth it.

The 6 Treekin will add a little more hitting power where you need it, as well as give a much needed rank bonus, while you can run some Dryads alongside for some flanking action - or the Dryads can hit the weaker units alone.

Why an Amaranthine Brooch for the Spellweaver? It's a better ward save, and any magic damage that does get through can be easily healed from successful castings of Life spells. Just be careful of enemy wizards using Death magic - Dispel furiously if they target you.

macattack428
27-12-2011, 02:39
Love the input Wizzy, thanks! I think im going to stay with the beast mage just because im tired of using Life! Realized I need a BSB, especially if I'm going combat heavy. Tweaked it a little from your previous. What's everyone think now? Also, you guys run your kin 6 wide?! Isn't that incredably unwieldy?? I've found the 3x2 unit size is mobile and still packs a punch...

Life Spellweaver - Wand of Wych Elm, Amaranthine Brooch
BSB - Bane, HoDA

12 Dryads
12 Dryads

9 Wild Riders - Champion, Banner of Eternal Flame
13 Wardancers - Champion, Musician
6 Treekin

Treeman
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

WizzyWarlock
27-12-2011, 23:01
Treekin are usually run as 2 ranks of 3, as they get their full attacks when supporting and give a rank bonus. As for the new build, I don't usually use a BSB unless I'm fielding a large unit of Eternal Guard. I tend to find there's just nowhere to put him - if you put him with the Glade Guard then he's going to be back from combat and there's really nothing else worth putting him into that makes sense. I suppose he could go in with the Wardancers, but that's not really ideal in my view.

Personally, if you're sticking with Beast Lore and using another character, I'd do something like this:

Beast Glamourweave Spellweaver - Wand of Wych Elm, Fencer's Blades, Elf Steed
Wardancer Noble - Moonstone of the Hidden Ways, Opal Amulet

With this build you have 2 Heroes in the Wardancer unit and 2 in the Wild Rider unit (Noble + Spellweaver). The general idea is to have the Wardancers Moonstone across the table to quickly jump into combat, while the Wild Riders use their Vanguard and fast movement to get into the same area as the Wardancers.

Now you have two strong units with 4 characters in the same area, all of which can be boosted by spells such as Savage Beast of Horros, giving them all +3S and +3A. Throw a Wyronn's Wildform into the mix - usually on the Wardancers - and watch the bodies fly. Ideally you want both units attacking one target to take it down fast. Just to note how devastating that can be, the Wardancer Highborn alone with Wyronn's and Horros, plus Storm of Blades dance, does 9 attacks at a strength of 9 on a charge. Add in the Wardancer Noble for another 8 attacks at strength 9 and you've already done 17 strength 9 attacks before you even start rolling for the Wardancer unit itself.