PDA

View Full Version : Dispelling law of life and the throne of vines

Toe Cutter
22-12-2011, 13:12
I suppose the answer is that it very much depends on how many dice have been rolled for the winds of magic and what non life spells are available but I was just curious about what the general tactic for dispelling lore of life spells was?

Do you dispell the throne of vines when its first cast so that any further spells that do get through aren't as effective or do you save your dice, allow the throne of vines spell to go through, and then save your dispell dice for any further spells that are attempted?

What do you reckon?

brother_maynard
22-12-2011, 13:48
Always stop throne. He'll be less likely to 6 dice dwellers, and flesh to stone becomes the only real threat in the lore.

skirder
22-12-2011, 17:16
If he rolls a ton of dice at it, and doesn't irresistibly force it, and it would leave you at a dice advantage, you have 2 options:
do you want to play defensive magic? aka, you have a wizard so that he can easily cast as opposed to having spells you want to get off? let him have it, shut down the rest, dispell it in your magic phase.

do you need your magic phase (much more common)? get rid of it at all costs

Dirty Mac
22-12-2011, 19:14
Don't let him have throne of vines.

EnternalVoid
22-12-2011, 20:05
How I deal with the Lore of Life depends on several factors.

The first, what spells did they get. If they have Throne, Dwellers, and Flesh to Stone is big difference to Throne, Dwellers and not having flesh to stone.

Second is how many power dice and is it a crutial magic phase. First turn is less likely of an issue then second onward.

Generally when it comes around I look at it like this; Where will it leave me. If it is Turn 2, we are closing in on each other, and they get like 9-10 dice and they throw 3 at throne, then I will dispel Throne as it will make them less likely to throw 6 dice at Dwellers. Also as I have a dispel scroll this becomes more likely as I can use it on Dwellers if they fail to IR it.

If it is first turn, I might dispel it just because I don't have to worry about dispelling it on my turn and they will need to recast it on their turn 2.

Next thing, if they ever cast Flesh to Stone on a unit I think I can avoid or don't care about this turn, I generally let it go as it eats power dice and gives me a better chance of handling other problems if they have two lores or have other units they are trying to help.

That said, I have let Throne off several times before because it would give me an advantage. This is generally when they roll 7 or less power dice and used 2-3 on casting Throne. If he is casting throne at this point he is likely doing it to have it up later or because he wants to use throne to lure out dispel dice based on its reputation. Often at that point I only have 4-5 dispel dice myself due to the winds of magic, so I might let Throne off with fair confidence that I can handle what ever spell he wants after it. More so if he rolled a high casting total as a Lv4 with 2 dice can easily dispel it during my magic phase or his next one.

You can use Throne to your advantage if your opponent is not careful, to many players play up its usefullness when it might just be better in a given turn to do the depowered Flesh to Stone and the Regeneration spell.

Ghremdal
22-12-2011, 20:07
If he uses a few dice to cast Throne of vines (2-4, depending on your dispel pool) then try to dispel it. If he uses a lot of dice then let it through and concentrate on dispeling his other spells.

Lebowski
22-12-2011, 22:08
I never skip the throne.....
That has the potential to win the game. I never leave it for the next phase, it is just putting off the problem.

I know you guys are saying that there are times that are okay to skip it, I used to think like that. I just see it as risk taking, pay the price and get rid of it asap.

decker_cky
22-12-2011, 22:16
I never skip the throne.....
That has the potential to win the game. I never leave it for the next phase, it is just putting off the problem.

I know you guys are saying that there are times that are okay to skip it, I used to think like that. I just see it as risk taking, pay the price and get rid of it asap.

I very often let it through once units are in combat, in order to focus on flesh to stone which is the real game winner in the lore. Early on, stopping it almost always makes sense since flesh to stone will be irrelevant, and dwellers is likely to be pushed through with more dice than you have available to dispel.

skirder
22-12-2011, 23:57
The usual life mage he faces is a slann... the extra dice means that he WILL be casting 2 of the three tooled up spells after throne if you don't dispel it.