PDA

View Full Version : Worst Fantasy Models of 2011

thesheriff
22-12-2011, 14:15
Well, hate to be a grinch, but some one asked for this in the "best" counterpart. And ask, and thou shalt receive :D

For me, probably the plastic Saurus Oldblood. He just doesn't compare to the finecast ones. Also not a big fan of the dwarven dreadfleet ship. Although, i can see to may it has its charm......:p

thesheriff

Wesser
22-12-2011, 14:23
My top 3

1. Dark elf sorceress- Looks like an aging whore

2. Chimera - Pose is terrible and its proportions dont match

3. Zombie dragon. While I love the model there don't seem to be any options for putting forelegs on it (correct me if im wrong). That makes it a wyvern to me thus spoiling the model

Urgat
22-12-2011, 14:24
The plastic Tzeentch sorcerer on disk. It's actually much easier than the best model, because this year has been stellar on that regard. 2011 WAS the year of fantasy for me.
edit: I'll have to give a special note for the manglers. They are not the worst, but they were such a disapointement for me, can't pass that up.

SquigBoy Extraordinaire
22-12-2011, 14:25
My vote for the What were they thinking of the year goes to the Chimaera, from SoM.
Solidly, one of the worst sculpts from GW EVER.
I have one of those plastic Oldbloods, converted his arms to make him look more agressive and open up the sillouette and I have to say that it looks pretty darn good.
But this is my opinion.

Dreadlordpaul
22-12-2011, 14:42
This is a hard choice for me but it has to go to the dark elf sorceress as she seems to have a bit of a 6 pack which tbh really put me off her

JackDaw
22-12-2011, 14:45
Yeah I think I'd have to go for the Oldblood and Chimera as well. They're not bad, just.....dull.

EmperorNorton
22-12-2011, 14:50
The Thundertusk, that thing is just so ridiculous.
The Herald of Tzeentch and the Chimera are runner-ups.

I don't understand the dislike for the Dark Elf Sorceress and the Saurus Oldblood. I have both models and think they are quite lovely.

Dreadlordpaul
22-12-2011, 14:54
Well to me a sorceress should not have a mini six pack shes only using magic not weight lifting or fighting in combat

EmperorNorton
22-12-2011, 15:05
Well to me a sorceress should not have a mini six pack shes only using magic not weight lifting or fighting in combat

What, a gal can't work out when she's not busy disintegrating her foes on the battlefield?
It's mostly to blame on the studio paintjob, though, the sixpack isn't sculpted on.

Dreadlordpaul
22-12-2011, 15:09
What, a gal can't work out when she's not busy disintegrating her foes on the battlefield?
It's mostly to blame on the studio paintjob, though, the sixpack isn't sculpted on.

Oh I thought it was sculpted on haha I may just have to pick one up then

Haravikk
22-12-2011, 15:11
For me it's probably:

Manticore - I thought maybe it'd look better in person, but it really doesn't. I've seen some nice conversions using it, but the vanilla model is only slightly better than the old one I'm afraid.
Thundertusk - Really ridiculous looking, and simply because of those stupid looking tusks! It should have head a lower or longer head with smaller tusks, instead it looks really silly in my opinion, shame as it's a great addition for Ogres rules-wise.
Mournfang Cavalry - Same gripe as the Thundertusk; they have stupid tusks, and their body proportions look like they went to the Johnny Bravo anatomy school for inspiration. There was nothing wrong with Rhinox riders as a concept, and they would have looked at all better; at least know there are more pieces with which to do Rhinox conversions.
Cygor - I'm not completely sold on the Ghorgon either, but it's maybe more serviceable with a good colour scheme and some conversion. The Cygor though isn't very good looking at all in model terms, and is completely outshone by the waystone it holds!
Jabberslythe - I get that it's supposed to be disgusting, but it looks cartoonish. I can't help but think that they'd have been better off leaving it later so they could come up with some more supporting chaos monsters for Beastmen, and just made a plastic kit with lots of horrible bits you can put together into your desired combo. The only plus side to it is that any fine cast issues only serve to improve the look.

Enigmatik1
22-12-2011, 15:19
I'm definitely biased, but I really dislike "Gotta-Pee" Priest. The Jabbersylthe is a very close second, for reasons Haravikk already outlined.

Kaiserdean
22-12-2011, 16:31
I'm going to say "Finecast" in general. I've spent way too much time filling in bubble holes, puttying in a hollow sword, and paying more for the privilege.

Dreadlordpaul
22-12-2011, 16:33
I'm going to say "Finecast" in general. I've spent way too much time filling in bubble holes, puttying in a hollow sword, and paying more for the privilege.

And this is why I am happy that I havent brought any finecast models yet

warplock
22-12-2011, 16:35
The new Beastmen models are by far the worst for me. Every one of them is terribly realised, bland, cartoonish and uninspiring to look at. Chimera is a close second. VERY close. That model is AWFUL from start to finish. I'd rather use a pre-painted children's plastic toy snake in a game than look at that model.

Deff Mekz
22-12-2011, 16:40
1) The Manticore
2) The Chimera
3) The Tzeentch herald on disc
4) TK "I got to pee" Liche Priest

EVERY other Fantasy model released this year I have actually loved.

Dreadlordpaul
22-12-2011, 16:41
1) The Manticore
2) The Chimera
3) The Tzeentch herald.

I agree with you on the tzeench daemons herald he looks like he has a major case of being a dumbo

Druchii Monkey
22-12-2011, 16:45
The Chimera. That middle head just looks off with the rest of them.

Odin
22-12-2011, 16:47
Well, hate to be a grinch, but sone one asked for this in the "best" counterpart. And ask, and thou shalt receive :D

For me, probably the plastic Saurus Oldblood. He just doesn't compare to the forecast ones. Also not a big fan of the dwarven dreadfleet ship.

thesheriff

Yup, easy decision. Most of the rest of the models this year have been pretty awesome.

Oh, forgot about the Chimera, that thing is appalling.

Bob Arctor
22-12-2011, 17:19
Surely it has to be the Necropolis Knights? Those things just looked silly from the get go.:(

(Is the fact they haven't been mentioned yet because they are a fairly competitive option for TK armies game-wise? :shifty: )

lbecks
22-12-2011, 18:58
Tomb Kings Necrotect.

Enigmatik1
22-12-2011, 19:44
Surely it has to be the Necropolis Knights? Those things just looked silly from the get go.:(

(Is the fact they haven't been mentioned yet because they are a fairly competitive option for TK armies game-wise? :shifty: )

Point duly noted. I don't like the Necropolis Knights either. My Stalkers (which I love) serve a dual role. If they start on the table, they're NecroKnights. If they're Entombed, they're Stalkers. But you're right, the Snake Surfer models blow in comparison.

Tomb Kings Necrotect.

Now, I don't have a huge problem with the Necrotect model comapred to Gotta Pee Priest. However, when I bought mine he was missing his non-whip arm completely so I had to glue on a charioteer arm in it's place out since Ye Olde Hobby Shoppe is over 30 minutes away from where I live.

Hicks
22-12-2011, 20:08
For me it's the Ghorgon / Cygor kit. This thing hurts my eyes.

loveless
22-12-2011, 20:17
Let's see...

1) Tzeentch Herald on Disk - Seriously, what the hell? It's like they took a plastic Horror, covered it in PVC glue, and hurled it into a bitz box.
2) Tomb Kings Necrotect - He just looks awkward. He checks all of the right boxes, but it just looks off to me.
3) Manticore - Pot-bellied thing with the weirdest head I've seen. It would be higher on this list, but the wings and riders are amazing (which really underscores my disappointment with the kit).

Mr. Ultra
22-12-2011, 20:28
My vote is for the ludicrous "I got to pee" Liche Priest. Seriuosly, what was the designer thinking?

lbecks
22-12-2011, 20:30
Now, I don't have a huge problem with the Necrotect model comapred to Gotta Pee Priest. However, when I bought mine he was missing his non-whip arm completely so I had to glue on a charioteer arm in it's place out since Ye Olde Hobby Shoppe is over 30 minutes away from where I live.

You could have called GW and said he was missing his arm.

superdupermatt
22-12-2011, 20:47
Had to google the lichen priest to see what all you kids were yammering on about and HA! How did nobody notice before getting it signed off??

Oh, and chimera for me. Just plain awful.

Enigmatik1
22-12-2011, 20:50
You could have called GW and said he was missing his arm.

Nah...I have tons of skeleton bits floating around my house (you know, since I don't field the bastitches anyway). I think he looks quite good with his one skeletal arm! :D

madden
22-12-2011, 21:21
Herald on disc is awful especially when compared to tge plastic one on foot, and the gotta pee litch that one makes me laugh. I actually like the chimera and the beastmen monsters but do not like the hellpit as tge fluff says worm not slug but that's probably just me.

Merry crimbo everyone.

HornedProphet
22-12-2011, 21:29
Would have to be the mangler squigs.
The problem isn't all the model (which i think is a little to big and has something off about it)
The problem I have is that it wasn't at all i like I had hoped or expected.

MikeInfinitum
22-12-2011, 21:31
Most of the ogre stuff was pretty cartoony looking. That in itself is not a problem, but it just jars when compared to the rest of the line - very different tone.

I've been completely underwhelmed by most of the monsters released this year as well - the Jabberslyth was particularly bad.

The Tomb Kings stuff was awesome though!

colonel kane trine
22-12-2011, 21:36
I love the jabberslythe and the thundertusk!
I did wonder 'how the hell does it eat?'

I vote the herald on disc its terrible in every way!

Sexiest_hero
22-12-2011, 21:53
GHORGON, everything else is at least passable

GodlessM
22-12-2011, 21:55
Easily the Jabberslythe.

Skywave
22-12-2011, 22:00
The manticore is probably the worst one for me, pretty awefull. The dude on top is ace though. The Tzeentch Herald on disc is also quite poor, really not a fan of the new horror style.

Oh I thought it was sculpted on haha I may just have to pick one up then

Just to point it out, you can look at the unpainted mini, the stomach is abs-free :)

Makaber
22-12-2011, 22:50
I firmly believe most of you haven't seen the models you're talking about in person. Also, I don't get what a lot of you are taking about... It seems to be very petty complains for the most part.

The Liche Priest? I think he's awesome, the pose really seals the deal for me. Looking at the model in person, it's tiny. This frail wreck of a man, barely managing to cling on to his staff. Awesome! It has a ton of character, in my eyes.

The Chimera I actually brought, with the intent of coverting a different dragon head onto it, but it proved to be too much hassle... But it's allright in person. I think the paintjob GW went for differentiates the heads too much. Give it more similar colours on the heads, and they'll look more like a cluster of heads, and the dragon one will stick out less (though they could have done a better job with it, I admit).

The Jabberslythe is such a weird thing, I can't help but feel about a third of the player base would have been disappointed by it no matter what look they went for, because it didn't match up with what they were expecting.

And I was really, really disappointed with the Ghorgon, but having brought and built one, it's grown on me tremendeously. The pose really looks a lot more natural once you get a little depth to it. All I had to do to turn it from decent to bad-ass was to chop of the horns and glue them on facing forwards. I don't think you should have to convert a model to be happy with it, but it was such an easy job I might as well mention it.

No, for me, my top three:

1) Mangler Squigs. I love a little Gobbo whackyness, but the faces on those things are just ridicilous, and considering they're nothing but face, that's kinda a big deal. I think it's a matter of trying too hard. Plus, the pose is really weird.

2) Necropolis Knights. The concept is weird enough, but it sort of looks like it can work in the artwork. Sadly, as models they're a complete failure, managing to underscore everyting that might seem odd about skeletons riding atop giant hooded cobras with human skull faces. They're not even good human skulls.

3) Mournfang cavalry. I liked how they made the warg riders in Lord of the Rings work, even though a dog or cat runs in a completely different fashion from a horse. The solutions they chose to make this work fails completely and utterly once you scale it up twofold and put a blob of a man on top. And the creatures... They're not intimidating in the least. Part-feline, part-canine, part-rhino? With the stupid tusks and positivly bizarre saddles... No thanks.

colonel kane trine
22-12-2011, 22:59
I agree with you makaber.
I own the priest and the jabberslythe and both are amazing models.

xxRavenxx
22-12-2011, 23:29
I have a real soft spot for the jabberslythe.

Anyway... worst model. I think its probably the tzeentch herald.

Especially as the Tzeentch range is now flying stingrays, abstract flamer shapes, fat beaky cartoon embryo horrors, giant bird, Herald... thing, and undivided/khorne looking prince.

I think its not only ugly, but breaks up an already artisticly divided range even more, which is a shame.

dimetri1
22-12-2011, 23:51
Necropolis Knights, they make me say bad words every time I see them.

Korraz
23-12-2011, 00:24
Oh god, so many... but "Little Nagash" Apophas takes my cake here.

BorderKing
23-12-2011, 00:29
Sabretusk riders, simply because they aren't rhinox riders.

The bearded one
23-12-2011, 00:33
For me, probably the plastic Saurus Oldblood. He just doesn't compare to the forecast ones.

forecast :D

Also not a big fan of the dwarven dreadfleet ship.

Heretic! Gather some wood, build a pyre! Burn the heretic!

1. Dark elf sorceress- Looks like an aging whore

uhu.. so she pretty much looks like what she's supposed to represent, doesn't she?

They might've been a bit.. odd, at the start, but I've gotten used to them.

Sabretusk riders, simply because they aren't rhinox riders.

And because sabretusk riders don't exist.

The manticore and chimera for storm of magic, I just... no, I dislike them intensely. The pose, the exposed big bellies, the.. the.. argh, just terrible!

Lordy
23-12-2011, 00:33
1.Pee Priest
2.Manticore
3.Oldblood
4.Bow Ushabti

Verm1s
23-12-2011, 00:47
I firmly believe most of you haven't seen the models you're talking about in person. Also, I don't get what a lot of you are taking about... It seems to be very petty complains for the most part.

People don't like what I like in a not-liking-stuff topic boohoo.

My choices: I'll start by saying that the fact Trish Carden is GW's go-to monster sculptor, irritates me no end. I'm sure she's a very nice person, and I get that people like her stuff, but I wonder how much more they'd like it if everything was revamped by a monster sculptor with a different style. (or if Trish advanced her own sometime in the last fifteen to twenty years...) That's partly why I'm fond of the stonehorn and HPA, but that's not what this topic's about...

So you might guess I'm not a great fan of the SoM monsters. I don't think the manticore and chimera are great, but for the most part they're just plain and unexciting. The black dragon and the cockatrice are what really push my buttons. Together they show off the same-old same-old cliches that Trish plugs together: the dragon has the same old ripply lip that looks more like Barney Gumble belching than any kind of intimidating snarl. It has the same old snaggle teeth that look like rows of toothpicks roughly hammered into it's gums. Both are covered in the same old odd wrinkles that don't make any sense, as if they're just there to give GW washes something to trickle into. Why does the dragon's skin loop like a trouser leg behind it's knee? Why does it's head look like driftwood? Why does the cockatrice have stretchmarks around it's groin? Why does it have wrinkles running along each rib?
The dragon has a spiky **** for some reason, and a spine that's broken at 90 degrees right between it's legs. Where a pelvis might be, if the legs weren't just glued to the sides of the body. What's it doing? Is it flying? Taking off? Landing? It just seems to be floating in mid-air, rearing up in a very surprised way.
The cockatrice, with naked body and scant few palm leaves stuck to the tips of the same old dragon wings, looks like a plucked chicken. The paintjob doesn't help. The legs are confused blobs with chicken feet sticking out of them. Ironically, going to the supermarket and looking at plucked chickens might've helped with that.

But that's the problem with these and too many of her other monsters: they seem as if she's sculpted what she thinks a leg might look like, how she thinks skin behaves, and so on. The leg or skin or feature of anything - human or animal or imaginary beast.
I know someone's going to come along and say that. "It's only imaginary!" Someone always does. But to me they don't look like models cleverly designed to look like gribbly imaginary beasts; they look like imaginary beasts made gribbly by a lack of clever design. Observation, study and understanding: the first lesson most figurative artists receive, whether they paint bowls of fruit or sculpt wild and magical creatures for a multinational business. I wish I didn't get such an impression of it's absence here, but there we are.

Talking about stonehorns and different monster sculptors, I'm not fond of the thundertusk and mournfangs either. Just... look at them. I hate to say style over substance because style counts for something, but these just look too OTT for the sake of it. WoW influence?

Zombie dragon... it looks plastic. I'm not sure that's what's intended, though. Long, spindly, smooth arm bones. Awkward spindly legs and pose. Front teeth sticking straight out in front. Short, stubby, horizontal ribs. Not as bad as the terrorgheist, though: the zombie dragon wearing a really cheap rubber halloween mask.

Plastic Oldblood: stiff, toothpick teeth, squared-off details. Not in the same league as the other plastic characters.

Thesheriff: told you. ;)

Liber
23-12-2011, 01:16
Ack, so much hate for the Tzeentch Herald...I really love that model :(

At first i didn't but it quickly grew on me, i would never start a Demons army, much less a Tzeentch one, but i really would love to buy this guy just to paint up.

Just imagine him uttering his strange magical syllables from that wide beaky mouth as he floats around cackling and blowing **** up...I love it.

As for my least favorite model...has to be the Cygor/Ghorgon kit. So much potential, but just not 'beasty' at all. Both look like tall skinny versions of a minotaur, nothing more.
Love the Jabber though, and most every model that fantasy has gotten recently.

All in all a superb year for WHFB, i hope 2012 can keep it up!

Makaber
23-12-2011, 01:40
People don't like what I like in a not-liking-stuff topic boohoo.

I should have seen that coming, and I guess you're right to some extend.

However you kind of go on to prove my point a little by summing up everything I dislike about Trish Camdens monsters, which is the kind of valid points I'd like to see more of.

What I mean is... I don't like Iron Maiden, but I can see why people do. They write great hooks and the band is obviously very skilled, but it's just not for me. However, I can appreciate that they are a very good band.

But the people voting for the Liche Priest here don't do that. They see a pose they don't like, and completely look past the fact that it's a very good sculpt. The head is great, and while it doens't show much in the official photos, the body is exceptional, actually looking the way a shrivelled corpse would. Simply put, I get how people can have an issue with the pose, but worst model of the year? Really?

Oh, and you forget how Trish Camden can't seem to get feet right. I'm careful to get too personal in critique of sculptors, after genuinly empathising for Gary Morley when he posted a little here, but I think Trish Camden is the kind of sculptor that just isn't keeping up with the times. She's sticking to the same old tricks she used back in the 90's and they're really showing their age.

Max_Killfactor
23-12-2011, 01:42
1) The Manticore
2) The Chimera
3) The Tzeentch herald on disc
4) TK "I got to pee" Liche Priest

I agree with your list (same order too) and your statement at the end. GW had some really nice models this year.

LotusCorgi
23-12-2011, 02:23
The VC zombie wyvern.

Phazael
23-12-2011, 04:25
Good god, no one voted for that aweful Jabberwock?

Urgat
23-12-2011, 06:49
Oh, and you forget how Trish Camden can't seem to get feet right. I'm careful to get too personal in critique of sculptors, after genuinly empathising for Gary Morley when he posted a little here, but I think Trish Camden is the kind of sculptor that just isn't keeping up with the times. She's sticking to the same old tricks she used back in the 90's and they're really showing their age.

Get personal if you want, but at least try to get her name right :/ It's Carden, not Camdem.

About the liche priest, are you talking about this one (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat570032a&prodId=prod1190032a)? It really got nothing on the "taking a dump" bane beast chimera.

colonel kane trine
23-12-2011, 06:50
The awesome jabberslythe you mean?
Im sure its got a few votes both here and in the best of thread

The more I think about it the more I want to move the manticore/chimera to my 1st choice for joint worst models

Sheena Easton
23-12-2011, 10:11
#1 The Plastic Nurgle Chaos Lord (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1340007a) - not only is it an abysmal model with an infantile take on Nurgle but the existing metal champion is far better in every way

#2 Plastic Chaos Sorceror (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1250027a) - again, poorly executed, existing metals were much better, and the plastic Manticore rider is superior.

#3 Necropolis Knights (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1740175a_99120217006_NecroKnights4_873x627.jpg) - dodgy concept, even worse execution. The only saving grace is the Skeletons are very nice and the same kit makes the excellent Stalkers.

Far2Casual
23-12-2011, 10:31
My vote goes to the Manticore. I don't like the head, the arms, and the pubic hair was unnecessary.

I'm having a hard time understanding all the votes against the Chimera. It looks good in person, the plastic kit is very easy to put together, and it's not that expensive considering the size of the model.

-DE-
23-12-2011, 10:40
1. Skeleton Surfers.
2. Plastic Oldblood.
3. Jabberslythe (esp. that tongue!).
4. Thundertusk/Mournfangs/Ironblaster.

zak
23-12-2011, 11:00
I suppose the choices on here will be very subjective. I really like the most of the models mentioned here, especially the Jabberslythe. I was surprised the Ironblaster got a vote. For me it has to be the Tzeentch Herald on Disc. Everything about this model is just wrong.

colonel kane trine
23-12-2011, 11:21
The plastic nurgle champion got a vote?
Wtf

Dreadlordpaul
23-12-2011, 11:25
Wtf

Im shocked at the sorceror getting one

warplock
23-12-2011, 11:25
Wtf

It was described as an infantile take on Nurgle. If I had an infant who drew something like that, I'd be pretty horrified (secretly pleased though).

Dreadlordpaul
23-12-2011, 11:26
#1 The Plastic Nurgle Chaos Lord (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1340007a) - not only is it an abysmal model with an infantile take on Nurgle but the existing metal champion is far better in every way

#2 Plastic Chaos Sorceror (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1250027a) - again, poorly executed, existing metals were much better, and the plastic Manticore rider is superior.

#3 Necropolis Knights (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1740175a_99120217006_NecroKnights4_873x627.jpg) - dodgy concept, even worse execution. The only saving grace is the Skeletons are very nice and the same kit makes the excellent Stalkers.

I have that plastic chaos sorceror and the model is better in real life than it looks on the picture

theJ
23-12-2011, 11:27
The herald of Tzeentch gets first spot, without question. Necropolis Knights claim second place, mainly due to failing in the concept phase. Third is probably the Chimera.

Druchii Monkey
23-12-2011, 11:27
Good god, no one voted for that aweful Jabberwock?

Yeh, but the Jabberslythe is supposed to look worst, and as a result i quite like it. :evilgrin:

And because sabretusk riders don't exist.

Actually they do, just none of the Gnoblar riders last long enough for them to get to the fight. At that stage they just count as normal sabretusks with slight indigestion. :p

Marked_by_chaos
23-12-2011, 11:29
Counting down (in the spirit of the endless Christmas period television list count down programs)

10. Finecast female vampire lord - terrible the first time - now with added modelling challenges.
9. Finecast Liche Priest
8. Mangler squigs - could have been much better. Also arguably the worst cost/points value ratio ever for a model. Was far bigger than the description or unit entry required.
7. Lizardman oldblood - just bloody awful. The original models were far better and it is a painful comparison to the avatars of war lizardman hero.
6. Skull heavy terrain - with the exception of the Garden of Morr where it has its place. Skullvane Manse (where even the name has to have skulls in it) and the giant non-optional skull in the rock face really take the biscuit.
5. Saurus oldblood
4. Mornfang cavalry - what were they thinking with the tusks
3. The rediculous wacky races ogre unit with the cannon of the sky titans - more for concept than the model.
3. Gorgon - arguably worse legs than the minotaurs and a stupid upright skeleton torso and spear stuck in the matted fur on the neck (for when the proliferation of skulls just isn't enough)
2. Necropolis Knights - "interesting" concept
1. Chimera - the middle head is just awful.

Having said that there were some cracking models released as well. Perhaps the Golgfag and plastic nurgle chaos lord were my favourites although for the record I really like the manticore and zombie dragon models.

As a whole i think the manticore kit is really good and for those commenting on the "belly" they have apparently looked at male lion anatomy (to an extent) and it seems consistent with that. As for the zombie dragon i think it looks better for not having forelegs and I can see huge potential for a conversion using the chaos sorceror from the manticore kit as a rider and the dragon as a chaos dragon t create a heavy metal album cover esque look.

Archibald_TK
23-12-2011, 13:38
1- Manticore
"Wheeeeeeeeeee, I've been sculpted in the early nineties! And judging by my posture, the sculptor was drunk!"

2- Herald of Tzeetch
"Wheeeeeeeeeee, I've been sculpted in the early eighties, and I think my sculptor was in a bad trip at that time..."

3- Jabberthingie
"I am the proof that Trish Carden school of design is spreading to other sculptors, I AM THE HERALD OF DOOM!"

Drongol
23-12-2011, 16:29
I'm going to go out on a limb here.

The worst model released in 2011, in my opinion, is the DE Black Dragon.

Everyone seems to think it's the Second Coming or something. I don't get it. It looks goofy, cartoonish, and impractical to me. Heck, given the choice between the Dragon or the Chimera, give me the Chimera. At least I can make something interesting with that. ;)

I'm sure people (just about everyone, it seems) will disagree, but I genuinely prefer the HE dragon to the DE.

popisdead
23-12-2011, 18:39
chimera and manticore probably.

abdulaapocolyps
23-12-2011, 18:59
Hmm.let's see.
I was disappointed by everything in the tomb king range. The characters are a little too underwhelming.I'm doing an army with mantic cos I dislike them so much,which is a shame.
I also hate the directions ogre have gone in since they became their own army.fat inbreeds is not my cup of tea.
Still,overall its been a good year.
Oh,special mention to the snake surfers.worse concept since the dwarf anvil.stupid,stupid idea.

Caiphas Cain
23-12-2011, 19:25
The entire OK range now looks like it is made of the plastic used in action figures, and the details match that. I like the basic ogre models, but everything else but the gnoblars look like single piece happy meal toys.

ivan55599
23-12-2011, 20:16
-Thundertusk (/stonehorn) looks strange, not sure why, although I bought it.
-Cygor/Ghorgon otherwise good, but I wanted more chaos to ghorgon, not skaven arms!
-Herald of tzeentch? It is good model, but if you sell it by 30, then I expected A LOT more.
-Fa...finecra...cast in small, man-sized miniatyres.
-If I pay 52 for jabberslythe, me thinks me expected again more. Compare prices of Cockatrice and this... (bought, wings for nurgle daemon prince)

PS gimme that link, where were all GW:s releases.

I liked chimera....
"middle head doesnt fit" what you expected from chaos, goat head?

Schmapdi
23-12-2011, 20:21
1. The new Ogre beasts/Mournfangs - they've grown on me a little - but with a few basic adjustments they could have been super awesome.
2. Mangler Squig - big-time disappointment here - twice as big as it should have been :/
3. Tomb King snake surfers - oy vey :/
4. Most of the Storm of Magic monsters - were pretty goofy looking IMO
5. Savage Orcs - tone down the crazy abs please.

I only really care about the first two though because I collect Ogres/Night Goblins :/

zoggin-eck
23-12-2011, 22:11
I guess it just shows people are allowed to have different opinions with some people loving those models others hate. Perhaps the mix of styles is a good strategy, it seems someone will always like at least somehting :)

For me, there were none I "hated" but many I found dissapointing.

The Mangler Squig: I don't care how big/expensive it is, I just don't like it. The pose still looks off (especially the right leg of the bottom one), I don't like the goblins and the faces on the squigs themselves completely ruin it.

Dark Elf dragon: Simply not as scary or cool as it should be. I'd just read Caledor, and that got me excited for dragons in general. This simply looks awkward in the pose and not some graceful, ancient monster (or evil shadow/twisted version of some graceful, ancient monster).

The rubber lipped "Barney Gumble belching" comment made my day :)

Plastic Oldblood is just boring to me. Bits of stuff all over the place, it barely looks like he could move. Lots of "squared" details and no character whatsoever. I'd rather just use a plastic temple guard and use as many armour and accessories as I have in the bits box.

Monsters weren't as cool as I hoped, though I don't hate the chimera as much as other do. Frog-dragon head I find quite fun.

I don't get the hate directed at the Tzeentch disk rider. I know it's goofy, but I think it's fun (and I'm one of those dissapointed with the plastic horrors!).

For me, forget the snake surfers, as the same kit makes another unit I quite like, and the skeletons alone look good for elsewhere in the army.

A pose alone won't ruin what is a really nicely detailed model (the Liche Priest). I love it, it looks like an old mummy about to fall apart, but regardless I love the face and pretty much everything else. The character made of scarabs and mr whip character are much worse to me, as they are just plain boring.

I do agree with the whole "looks better in person" comments. I've learned not to write off a model until I hold it in my hands. I wasn't sold on the arac. spider until I saw it, whereas many have simple confirmed my suspicions, I guess.

Sarevok
23-12-2011, 22:16
trish and aly the two worst sculptors

worst model? maybe chimera, it doesnt have a good rider to save it
or ghorgon, skinny with lots of SKULLZ

its dissapointing the chimera and manticore both have the same "give me a hug" pose, considering some of GWs other monsters

WarmbloodedLizard
23-12-2011, 22:50
oldblood by far.

Evil Hypnotist
23-12-2011, 23:37
The Truthsayer for me(http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1190040a), who looks like a native American, given a staff and plonked on an Arcane Fulcrum and told to get on with it. Especially when the Dark Emisarry looks so much better IMO

Lord Zarkov
24-12-2011, 00:22
The Truthsayer for me(http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1190040a), who looks like a native American, given a staff and plonked on an Arcane Fulcrum and told to get on with it. Especially when the Dark Emisarry looks so much better IMO
Well it is more than a decade old...

Supposed to look like a celtic druid (sorta)

Problem is, in order to differentiate from the Emissary they made it slightly combaty, (Truthsayer was L3, with a halberd and a statline similar to now, whereas the Emissary was L4 and with a standard human wizard-lord statline and a cooler and more offensive lore). Hence the more muscled look and the he-man like pose, which kind of detracts from the druidyness (hengus (http://www.sodemons.com/dhurst/albgiants/index.htm) looks much more the part IMO (but is much older)

Verm1s
24-12-2011, 02:24
I'm sure people (just about everyone, it seems) will disagree, but I genuinely prefer the HE dragon to the DE.

I'm more... um... kindly disposed towards it because it nods to the old Dragonmaster (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat500025a&prodId=prod1140119) dragon (http://www.solegends.com/citdragon/drag7dragonmasters.htm). Which isn't free of goofiness itself (not with those teeth!) but has a great sense of energy and elegance in the sweeping pose. And it's not Nick Bibby's best dragon, either.
(Talking about the benefit of observation, study and naturalism, look at what Nick's been up to (http://www.nickbibby.com/) since he gave up greenstuff. Imagine if he hadn't.)

In comparison, and even without obsessing on the details, the first impression of the DE dragon is bam - awkward. (To some of us. :angel: ) There's the point that the huge model still has to fit and balance on the base footprint, but it (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/grenadier/images/2520.jpg) can (http://www.coolminiornot.com/125755?browseid=7288013) be (http://campaign-game-miniatures.0catch.com/gr-dr002-green.jpg) done (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1130399).

The bearded one
24-12-2011, 03:06
Actually they do, just none of the Gnoblar riders last long enough for them to get to the fight. At that stage they just count as normal sabretusks with slight indigestion. :p

You little smart-ass you! :p

I love the HE dragon, despite the fact it's associated with high elves, which always greatly lessens my appreciation :p I guess it carries a little bit of nostalgia factor for me to when I first started fantasy..

Cragum
24-12-2011, 10:40
The dreaded bipedial MANTICORE!

Shame on GW for messing up what could of been great.

Drongol
24-12-2011, 12:42
In comparison, and even without obsessing on the details, the first impression of the DE dragon is bam - awkward. (To some of us. :angel: ) There's the point that the huge model still has to fit and balance on the base footprint, but it (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/grenadier/images/2520.jpg) can (http://www.coolminiornot.com/125755?browseid=7288013) be (http://campaign-game-miniatures.0catch.com/gr-dr002-green.jpg) done (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1130399).

It's the tail. Well, and the goofy-looking face, but it's mostly the tail. With the pose the DE Dragon is in, it cannot be flying. It could be dangling from a string like a Christmas ornament, but not flying at all.

And therein lies the problem. If you can't pose a model in a believable flight position, don't make it appear to be flying.

Cragum
24-12-2011, 18:24
It's the tail. Well, and the goofy-looking face, but it's mostly the tail. With the pose the DE Dragon is in, it cannot be flying. It could be dangling from a string like a Christmas ornament, but not flying at all.

And therein lies the problem. If you can't pose a model in a believable flight position, don't make it appear to be flying.

It seems pretty much that at that time of year. The sculptors just thought meh.

The storm of beasts aside the cockatrice were all pretty much pants. The heroes were fine just the big things.

the Witch kings regent
30-12-2011, 06:07
I'm going to go out on a limb here.

The worst model released in 2011, in my opinion, is the DE Black Dragon.

Everyone seems to think it's the Second Coming or something. I don't get it. It looks goofy, cartoonish, and impractical to me. Heck, given the choice between the Dragon or the Chimera, give me the Chimera. At least I can make something interesting with that. ;)

the HE one looks like a lizard jumping at a toad. the Dark elf one looks cool . its purched up in a dominant stance and has cooler options then the HE one. Plus it doesn't look like a lizard with wings glued on.(HE dragon)

the Witch kings regent
30-12-2011, 06:12
I have a real soft spot for the jabberslythe.

Anyway... worst model. I think its probably the tzeentch herald.

Especially as the Tzeentch range is now flying stingrays, abstract flamer shapes, fat beaky cartoon embryo horrors, giant bird, Herald... thing, and undivided/khorne looking prince.

I think its not only ugly, but breaks up an already artisticly divided range even more, which is a shame.

Thats Tzeentch for you. nothing the same everything different and changing.

-Loki-
30-12-2011, 06:22
the HE one looks like a lizard jumping at a toad. the Dark elf one looks cool . its purched up in a dominant stance and has cooler options then the HE one. Plus it doesn't look like a lizard with wings glued on.(HE dragon)

On the other hand, the wings don't look nearly big enough to hold it in flight. The DE dragon just looks all round stupid.

the Witch kings regent
30-12-2011, 06:25
The Dark elf dragon looks like its about to take off. look at the wings. if you had the model (which i have two) the dragon seems like ti jumped and is just starting to get off ground. look at birds taking flight. they start in the same way. the wings are curved as if thier catching wind for upward thrust.

eldargal
30-12-2011, 06:30
Mantic Dwarf King. The single most ridiculous Dwarf character I've ever seen, 80s Ral Partha and Marauder stuff have more style. GW, Reaper, Dwarf Tales, AoW and several others all produce better Dwarfs. Bah

Herald of Tzeentch. Love the flying disc, hate the thing riding it.

Re the DE dragon, you know it has an alternate head (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1850313a_99120212005_DreadDragon06_873x627.jpg) which looks far less goofy. I have a few minor problems with the pose but on the whole I think it is nice.

-Loki-
30-12-2011, 06:43
The Dark elf dragon looks like its about to take off. look at the wings. if you had the model (which i have two) the dragon seems like ti jumped and is just starting to get off ground. look at birds taking flight. they start in the same way. the wings are curved as if thier catching wind for upward thrust.

The position isn't at issue. If it was curved upwards catching winds, they're as big as they can get - and for a creature that size, far too small.

Rosstifer
30-12-2011, 07:00
The position isn't at issue. If it was curved upwards catching winds, they're as big as they can get - and for a creature that size, far too small.

Well to conceivably get it off the ground, the dragon model would have to have about a 3 foot wingspan? Not really practical for a model.

@eldargal, I agree about the Dwarf King being ugly, but my nostalgia is saddened by the reference to Marauder models. I love most of those :D

eldargal
30-12-2011, 07:06
Oh the Marauder range is quite good in general, if a little dated. Better than the Mantic sculpt.:)

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the GW chaps said if they sculpted dragons the way they should be in the fluff they would be a foot long and cost a hundred pounds. The FW dragons are apparently closer to that than GW are willing to do in plastic. Wish I had a citation for this.

lbecks
30-12-2011, 07:26
Jes Goodwin mentioned in a WD interview when the Cold Ones came out that their tails would have to be longer to actually balance them out but they have to reasonably fit within the base size. So the sculptors are aware of practicality in making the model.

With the DE dragon it "reads" to me that it's taking off. I personally really like the model .

Drongol
30-12-2011, 12:40

If, by dominant position, you mean "I'm making a derpy face because I'm trying to fly while somehow sticking my tail between my legs," then yes, I agree with you.

Druchii Monkey
30-12-2011, 14:34

The High Elf dragon for me looks like a great big bolt for a very very large bolt thrower that's just waiting for a giant Hiawatha to stick it in a bow or something and launch it somewhere where it will go splat against a wall - there's also something a little Neverending Story about it - dodgy Limahl music playing in the background.

The Dark Elf dragon is much much better and comes with a really cool soundtrack. Not that i'm biased or anything. :evilgrin:

Huoshini
30-12-2011, 16:01
Did everyone forget about the Pumba-Gore?

thesheriff
30-12-2011, 16:30

Was that 2011? I though beastmen were way older than that? :confused:

sasheep
30-12-2011, 18:52
Didn't really hate any models this year, but I was dissapointed by a few. In no particular order:
1) Manticore- the back legs look awkward and the left paw is doing something odd, however the wings and rider look awesome.
2) DE dragon- the pose just looks odd. I think it is mainly due to the tail. The head looks slightly to big (both of them) and the sorceress looks terrible (especially compared to the dreadlord and the plastic sorceress on foot.
3) Oldblood- far too blocky and the weapon options are dull and have a far better metal version.
4) Mangler squig- far too big, far too expensive, far too cartoonish. Could have been such a great model but they just went over the top.

hellharlequin
30-12-2011, 19:21

Pumba definitivly belongs to the "so-ugly-its-cute" category
it's a mutated boar it's supposed to be ugly :evilgrin::rolleyes:

the worst IMHO is defitivly the plstic manticore Just the mount

VenomBlood
30-12-2011, 19:31
1. Ogre Kingdoms Ironblaster - terrible in terms of Strength of materials.
2. Tomb Kings Necropolis Knights - poor design, looks cheap.
3. Dark Elf Black Dragon - lame wings and head design.

dirty_shank
30-12-2011, 22:02
I think that in terms of models, the fantasy range has done extremely well for itself this year. In terms of the actual scultps i don't think any of them are bad.

I understand people not liking models on a strictly aesthetic base, the tzeentch disc rider for example is an aquired taste certainly, but i think it is a pretty cool interpretation of the fluff and definately has the tzeentchy chaos feel, i mean it's a daemon! I feel the same with the jabberslythe, i understand people don't like it, i think it's an excellent portrayal of the description in the army book and super cool up close. I've not had the chance to assemble and paint one yet so cannot fully comment.

I'm pretty suprised to hear that so many people dislike the plastic black dragon as I though it coolest new plastic monster released alongside SoM. I bought it and assembled it riderless for narrative play and skirmish games and found it a really enjoyable mini to paint and assemble. There are two heads included in the box and with minimal modelling work you can significantly alter these however you desire.

I find the necropolis knights utterly unapealling but my issue is with the concept. Skeletons riding snakes seems silly to me and just doesn't look right. The kit is well designed though and the sepulchral stalkers are really characterful and to me scream tomb kings.

For me the least interesting fantasy model of the year has to be the zombie dragon / terrorgheist kit. I don't hate this kit and it's far from bad, but i think the sculptor missed a great opportunity with the zombie dragon in particular. I imagined a filthy, bloated, rotting beast, much like the great (though showing its age) zacharias dragon. The plastic one is more blood dragon esque and it looks aggressive and intimidating, but doesn't give me that decaying evil feel i associate with vampire counts.

All in all i think 2011 has been a great year for the fantasy range in terms of quantity and quality of releases, heres hoping 2012 is as good or better.

Aluinn
31-12-2011, 04:38
I agree that the Herald of Tzeentch is terrible, but on the plus side you have two amazing alternatives anyway in the Changeling model and the Sorcerer of Tzeentch, which looks so daemonic and mutated that it wouldn't be at all out of place in a Daemons army and is, IMO, one of the best models of the year.

I also don't know what people have against the Liche Priest. I guess if you fixate on the fact that his hand is near his crotch, you might find something wrong with him, but IMO his detail is amazing and the pose says "decrepit desiccated husk thing" more than "gotta pee".

But I have to second those who chose the Chimera/Manticore and/or the Ghorgon/Cygor, though the latter isn't badly "sculpted" (if CAD counts :)) so much as poorly designed in concept--except for the fact that it has no genitalia, but also nothing covering its nether region, and thus has Ken doll syndrome, which is really odd when they could have just given him a loincloth and called it a day. It also looks way too much like the standard Giant and appears to have been adapted from the same CAD design without a lot of fundamental changes.

Necropolis Knights are another horrible concept with mostly skillful execution; I don't think there's any way that a sculptor, however talented they were, could have been told to make models for skeletons surfing on skull-headed snakes and made it look anything other than goofy. On a brighter note, Sepulchral Stalkers are awesome.

Gwyddyon
31-12-2011, 05:35
Thundertusk, hands down. That thing makes my eyes bleed. It doesn't even appear to have been designed by the same company, much less belong in the same range as...ANYTHING from WHFB. Probably the single worst model in the game, just barely ahead of some of the monkey-faced Empire state troops.

Zentdiam
31-12-2011, 06:20
I have noticed that a lot of it is that I just hate the new paint jobs showing off the models. A lot of them look way better in person and painted differently. It is also very subjective. For instance, there is a extremely nicely painted chimera a friend of mine did that looks so much better than the model it is not even funny. Same with the dark elf sorceress. She is so much better in person that I feel the painter should flat out be fired. Some of the ones I do not like are:

1. Jabberslythe- really it is his ball chin. Everything else is not bad.

2. Saurus Oldblood- He is an ok sculpt, detail wise, I just do not like the boring pose.

3. Tzeentch horror on disc- Really I just hate the new pink horrors compared to the old ones. They are too busy and bird like. I just ended up leaving all the arms off the new ones and green stuffing over the holes. They fit in well with all my old horrors. I use one with arms as the herald and it works pretty well.

Everything else is pretty good to me. Like many have said before it is extremely subjective. The nurgle champion and chaos sorceror are some of my favorite models and look extremely awesome in person.

Seriously, that dark elf sorceress is soooo bad. *shakes head*

Spiney Norman
31-12-2011, 11:07
I'm definitely biased, but I really dislike "Gotta-Pee" Priest. The Jabbersylthe is a very close second, for reasons Haravikk already outlined.

Lols, definitely not the best model of the year, but just because the model that the new liche priest replaced was 100 times worse than the new one I kinda like him.

My worst of the year has to be the following
1. Jabbersslythe, really bad, clunky model, easily rivalling the pumbagor as the worst model currently on sale. It looks like a cheap monster puppet from an 80s kids adventure movie. Anyone remember labyrinth or the never ending story series?

2. The chaos manticore, everything that is bad about the chimera's pose with added pubic hair and a bizarre ballerina-ish twist to its lunge forward, not to mention the industrial rubber gloves that seem to pass for its hands. The fact that the riders are superb does nothing to dull my dislike for this particular model.

3. The demonic herald of tzeentch on disc, everything that was bad about the plastic horrors made even busier standing on a disc which looks like a pizza with eyes coupled with the inconvenience of fine cast.

TsukeFox
31-12-2011, 12:48
Man you just feel the hate poisoning in this thread.
Gotta go with anything beastman or warriors- for they have lost their chaos way- everything looks orderly and uniformed-whatever happened to mutations-?

Lazy ninja
31-12-2011, 14:46
A big problem is that when they make a duel kit it's all well and hood economically bit it means neither creature is as good as it could be. The cygor and ghorgon are a prime example, the cygor fromthe artwork is quite longlimbed, but the ghorgon should have been built more like a normal minotaur, but the fact it's a duel kit and possible use with the giant kit ruin it. De dragon is only ruined by the pose IMO, just looks like it's balancing on it's tail. Mournfang and necropolis knights take the biscuit however

malisteen
31-12-2011, 15:17
The best example of the dual kit not living up to either options potential is, I think the skaven lightning cannon // catapault thing. Both feel really compromised by trying to cram them into one model, at least to me. But dual kits aren't inherently bad, the vamp counts terrorgheist/zombie dragon is, imo, an excellant example of two fantastic and distinct models existing in the same kit.

As for the worst of the year, well it was a good year for fantasy minis overall, but there really were a few duds, weren't there? For me, it's definitely the ogre cavalry. Completely unbalanced, poorly proportioned, they just look and feel awkward and terrible, imo.

AlphariusOmegon20
31-12-2011, 16:54
Worst model has got to be the Chimera. The dragon head threw off what should have been a good sculpt.

To those that have mentioned the Ghorgon/Cygor, I really hope you're not basing your opinion on the Studio painted models. As I've said before, it's not the sculpts that make it look funky, it's the paint jobs. Beastmen just look total pants when painted in that studio fleshy paint job.

Both the Cygor and Ghorgon look fine when painted in a medium to dark brown scheme.

snottlebocket
31-12-2011, 19:45
I have noticed that a lot of it is that I just hate the new paint jobs showing off the models. A lot of them look way better in person and painted differently. It is also very subjective. For instance, there is a extremely nicely painted chimera a friend of mine did that looks so much better than the model it is not even funny. Same with the dark elf sorceress. She is so much better in person that I feel the painter should flat out be fired. Some of the ones I do not like are:

Learning to paint better to hide the fact that a model is crap doesn't make the model any less ugly though. You just put a better flag on the **** pile.

The bearded one
31-12-2011, 19:56
technique'wise the 'eavy metal paint jobs are not bad, they just make choices in painting (such as excessivly emphasised muscles and sixpacks, even where they're nonexistant) that put models in a bad light.

Tymell
31-12-2011, 19:59
I think this year's been pretty good for Fantasy, model-wise. We've had a lot, most ranging from okay to excellent. Only four actually strike me as bad or lacking:

1.) The Manticore. Weird pose, odd hands, bulging belly, the whole thing just doesn't look at all threatening or powerful.

2.) The Warp Lightning Cannon. The Catapult from the kit is fine, but this is a real example of where a combined kit feels like a stretch. I thought it sounded bizarre when I first heard of it, and seeing the end result only affirmed that. It's a catapult kit with a cannon thrown in as an afterthought.

3.) The Ghorgon/Cygor. While there's a lot about these models I do like, there are also some strange design choices, and I -still- dislike the very patchy fur direction they're taking with Beastmen. Plus, yes I know this is Warhammer, but gods that's an absurd number of skulls.

4.) The Mournfang Cavalry. These are probably the worst of the year for me. The creatures themselves just look...silly, and the riders are so badly added it's comical. It literally looks like someone took an ordinary ogre model and plonked it on top without any conversion work. It's too badly balanced and precarious.

Rikkjourd
31-12-2011, 20:07
4.) The Mournfang Cavalry. These are probably the worst of the year for me. The creatures themselves just look...silly, and the riders are so badly added it's comical. It literally looks like someone took an ordinary ogre model and plonked it on top without any conversion work. It's too badly balanced and precarious.

With a bit of knife work you can fix both the stupid tusks and the high saddles. I know it doesn't excuse the terrible design, but at least you can fix it if you want to use them in your army.

ivan55599
31-12-2011, 21:12
I dont understand what is GW's logic (normally no) in combination models (cygor+ghorgon). It just gives more money if they make separate models.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Tymell
31-12-2011, 21:45
I dont understand what is GW's logic (normally no) in combination models (cygor+ghorgon). It just gives more money if they make separate models.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Because producing a new kit costs them a lot of money, it's a substantial investment. It won't make them any -more- money to have separate kits, because you'll still get the same people buying them. Making it multi-purpose gives it a wider appeal, making it more likely to sell more and make profit. It makes particular sense with things like big monsters, because they're not likely to sell in such big volumes anyway.

Verm1s
31-12-2011, 22:57
The HE dragon is proactive. It's forcefully launching forward off a rocky promontory like a giant scaly eagle, lowering it's head to snap up some pitiful earthbound mortal.

The DE dragon looks like it's shrinking back and backpedaling so hard that it's almost run over it's own tail. It doesn't look like a big scaly eagle so much as a big scaly chihuahua. If it's taking off, why is the tail straight down, wrapped around a tree, instead of trailing behind? Why is the neck coiled back instead of spearing forward? Why is the torso almost horizontal, unless it's sprung straight up on all four legs like a quadrupal pogo stick or a scared cat on You've Been Framed?
If it's in flight, the horizontal body is more understandable, but then why is the neck straight up and the tail hanging down, clinging to vegetation? Unless it's not so much flying as slowly floating over the landscape, an awkward zig-zag with no sense of streamlining or forceful, decisive motion, holding onto things to steady itself like a first-time ice-skater. "Ooooh no! I can't! No! No! I can't! I'm terrified of slipping and falling on me bum! Well give me a minute 'til I get me balance, then I'll try to go a bit faster. But hold onto me..."

Craze_b0i
01-01-2012, 17:04
Everything in Dreadfleet. Admittedly the disappointment is made worse by the fact early rumour-mongers promised 4 seperate Man-O-War style fleets. But even despite that whole concept is one I really dislike. Firstly a scale so huge you could fit an entire hill on the deck of each ship, along with a castle on top of that hill. And zany ship designs veering between The Matrix and McDonald's Happy Meal. This is John Blanche in a box, fine if you like the style of John Blanche but totally out of context with warhammer fluff and background.

Crovax20
01-01-2012, 17:30
Admittedly the disappointment is made worse by the fact early rumour-mongers promised 4 seperate Man-O-War style fleets.

Wait, rumour mongers now deal in facts and promises? You pretty much set your self up there.

zoggin-eck
01-01-2012, 22:57
Um.... so John Blanche is out of context with warhammer fluff and background?

As for the absurdly hug ships, I wouldn't have minded really if they included more smaller ships perhaps. Something between the cogs and battleships.

Wait, rumour mongers now deal in facts and promises? You pretty much set your self up there.

Yeah, so sick of people acting surprised when a rumour isn't 100 percent correct.

Craze_b0i
01-01-2012, 23:17

Well I'm not saying I take any rumours as fact. But even merest the possibility it (Man O' War) could happen was enough to make people think about how cool it would be if it did happen. Point being a remake of Man O war would have been cool.

But in any case as I already said this is not the main reason why I disliked Dreadfleet.

colonel kane trine
01-01-2012, 23:24
The cygor isnt that bad but the ghorgon is terrible!
I bought 2 of the kits hoping to make one of each.
Now ive seen it in person I might give the tiny armed ghorgon a miss!

Myrmidon616
01-01-2012, 23:44
Necropolis Knights.

eldargal
02-01-2012, 07:22
The only way to make an accurate judgement of the model is seeing it in hand and unpainted.

In the case of the DE sorceress the extreme highlighting on her face distort the actual lines of the face giving her a far more masculine and ugly face than she actually has. You don't have to like the model, but arguing that a good paintjob masks a poor model is a bit silly. Giving her a decent paintjob doesn't hide its flaws, it does the model justice. Championing technique over artistic merit often has the reverse effect as is so often the case with Eavy Metal. Claims that GW models look better with a different paintjob are disturbingly common.

Learning to paint better to hide the fact that a model is crap doesn't make the model any less ugly though. You just put a better flag on the **** pile.

Napalm
02-01-2012, 08:24

Haha that's my fav model since ages, I think he's brilliant.

This is John Blanche in a box, fine if you like the style of John Blanche but totally out of context with warhammer fluff and background.

:eyebrows:
Warhammer without John Blanche would be very different.

I agree with eldargal, lots of the "crappy models" looks good when painted in another way. Of course, chimera & Manticore could have been much better, but they're not so ugly (yeah, the pose is ugly for both). Liche priest is ok, especially compared to the old ones, and the dark elf sorceress is nice, without stupid muscles of course.

The miniature I disliked the most this year is the cygor/gorghon. I find it ugly, with it skinny torso (ok for the cygor but not at all for the gorghon), too expensive, alternative models from other brands are way better. Not to mention that is too expensive in game too, I don't know if they'll sell a lot of this one.

rob_appo
02-01-2012, 10:49
Probably the ones I like the least are the storm of magic beasties bar the ckockatrice wich was very good imo and I liked all the plastic characters. You are right about the paintjobs though I dident like the ghorgon/cygor until I saw one in person with a defferent paintjob and actually quite liked it, however it's all subjective. I also really dident like the Tzeench disc herald. However there have been some truly amazing models this year so swings and roundabouts for me really :p.

Druchii Monkey
02-01-2012, 11:43
The HE dragon is proactive. It's forcefully launching forward off a rocky promontory like a giant scaly eagle, lowering it's head to snap up some pitiful earthbound mortal.

Cough.. cough, cough... :wtf:
More like a breadstick about to be dipped in some hummus.

The DE dragon looks like it's shrinking back and backpedaling so hard that it's almost run over it's own tail. It doesn't look like a big scaly eagle so much as a big scaly chihuahua.

Like a coiled chihuahua ready to pounce. Mwahahaha. :evilgrin:

Verm1s
02-01-2012, 17:24
Yeah, look at the (http://helsinkippusa.wordpress.com/2009/12/31/a-leap-to-next-year/) breadsticks (http://www.alaskaprophoto.com/files/eagle_dive_DSC_1003.jpg) and the terrifyin' (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef013485200664970c-600wi) monsters (http://rescueadog.wordpress.com/2011/12/28/proper-greetings/). :p

In the case of the DE sorceress the extreme highlighting on her face distort the actual lines of the face giving her a far more masculine and ugly face than she actually has. You don't have to like the model, but arguing that a good paintjob masks a poor model is a bit silly. Giving her a decent paintjob doesn't hide its flaws, it does the model justice. Championing technique over artistic merit often has the reverse effect as is so often the case with Eavy Metal. Claims that GW models look better with a different paintjob are disturbingly common.

Not entirely sure which point you're trying to make, but this might be of interest. Take a look at Knight Models' new Princess Leia sculpt (http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr231/alfonso_gozalo/leia7.jpg). Then look at the paintjob (http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt247/knightmodels2/JABBA11.jpg).

Sgt John Keel
02-01-2012, 20:24
(Talking about the benefit of observation, study and naturalism, look at what Nick's been up to (http://www.nickbibby.com/) since he gave up greenstuff. Imagine if he hadn't.)

The bovines in particular are extremely droolworthy.

Personally, I find the greatest the fault with the High Elf dragon to be everything but the dragon. The rider is terrible, and the armour plating I'd rather do without. (Though in reality I'm still holding out for a minature of the dragon artwork in the 6th edition army book.)

This year though, I think I'll have to say the Zombie Dragon/Terrorgheist. I'm not a great fan of the artistic direction of 7th/8th edition Warhammer in general (bar the Skaven, where I think it fits extremely well), and Vampire Counts in particular (although the early 2012 releases have some promise), but I had higher hopes for the Zombie Dragon.

It is curious how little relation to each other the dragons of the Warhammer world seem to have nowadays.

That said, other miniatures that could have been better (in other words: because of the looks, I'd endeavour to find replacements if I wanted to use it in a game):

Hell Pit Abomination (I'm not totally against it, but it's not a bat out of the park either)
Warp Lightning Cannon/Plague Catapult (Notwithstanding the dual kit sacrifices, if GW can't be courteous enough to use more advanced moulds to get woodgrain on all sides of the beams, I'm not going to indulge them by giving them my money.)
Savage Orcs/Savage Orc Boar Boyz
Necropolis Knights/Sepulchral Stalkers
Chimera
Manticore (Warrior rider's not bad though)
Plastic Chaos Sorcerer
Plastic Tzeentch Sorcerer
Dark Elf Dragon
Herald of Tzeentch
Plastic Oldblood
Ironblaster/Scraplauncher
Ghorgon/Cygor (Warhammer minotaurs have feet dammit. Also, I don't like the current giant, so it stands to reason I don't like these either.)

In my opinion, Dreadfleet was an overly literal (ahem) interpretation of Blanche's work, but there's no argument that he is extremely vital to the overall look and feel (although I personally prefer his 40k work).

AenarionTheDoomed
02-01-2012, 23:32
The Chimera. That middle head just looks off with the rest of them.

Couldnt agree more

DaemonReign
03-01-2012, 00:37
+1 for the Chimera.

Duke Ramulots
03-01-2012, 01:41
I like the Chimera.

Verm1s
03-01-2012, 03:45
I like the Chimera.
Ten character min

EDMM
03-01-2012, 05:24
Not entirely sure which point you're trying to make, but this might be of interest. Take a look at Knight Models' new Princess Leia sculpt (http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr231/alfonso_gozalo/leia7.jpg). Then look at the paintjob (http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt247/knightmodels2/JABBA11.jpg).

Separated at birth?

Craze_b0i
03-01-2012, 21:03

In this particular case yes.

brightblade
03-01-2012, 21:32
When did the skaven ratblob come out? Can I pick that?

If not, the chimaera is easily the worst miniature this year. It looks like a crap sock puppet.