PDA

View Full Version : Back Into the Breach!

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
23-12-2011, 04:36
Hey everyone! I decided to quit messing around and get back into actually playing 40K. Well, after all my buddies quit Fantasy, it was an easy decision... Anyway, I'm trying to decide on an army and here are my concerns/interests:

- Must be Space Marines. Low model count, I like them, I'm used to them, and they're pretty versatile.

- Versatility. I pretty much want to be able to use all the different units. Not fancy Chapter-based stuff necessarily, but the basics. (Scouts, assault, bikes, etc., I just the option.)

- Background. If I am not into the army, I will not paint/play with them. For all their problems, I still believe the Imperium is the best hope for humanity in the 41st millennium, and so I need my Space Marines to be the good guys. Also I need to abide by the fluff in army composition, otherwise I might as well just create my own Chapter... which I do not want to do.

With those things in mind, I have thought about a few Chapters already:

- Ultramarines. My first army, good guys with access to nearly everything, easy paint scheme. Unfortunately the latest codex has made even more people hate them, and has even turned me off a bit. Plus I'm slightly bored with blue.

- Salamanders. Protecting humanity is at the top of their list, and that is downright noble. Especially compared to other Chapters. Pretty much a codex Chapter, but emphasis on flamers and stuff kind of locks me in background-wise for army composition.

- Imperial Fists/Crimson Fists. Pretty codex, seemingly good, interesting paint schemes. Not too excited about either of them.

- Blood Ravens. Dawn of War is what got me into table top miniatures, so I've always had a soft spot for the Ravens. Cool color scheme, fairly codex (emphasis on librarians), and interesting "hunting for knowledge/our history" aspect that could be worked into many scenarios/campaigns.

Thank you very much for your input, I really appreciate it. Also, please don't tell me to "just choose the one I like best." I'm posting here because I need help choosing.

carldooley
23-12-2011, 05:08
ahem, it's supposed to be 'unto'

as for your question, I'd say either salamanders or Blood Ravens using the BA codex.

Charistoph
23-12-2011, 05:15
I'd say Blood Ravens, as they are not quite as common as the Ultras and Salamanders. Imperial Fists would be cool, but you don't seem very interested in them, so that would be a waste.

gutsmaka
23-12-2011, 06:00
go blood ravens, not many people play them it so you would probably have a unique army in your gaming group.
dont take ultramarines, as that army is the army of choice for a 10 yr olds first army, and you dont want to be part of that crowd

Battleworthy Arts
23-12-2011, 07:39
Salamanders have a cool background and color scheme. Plus, let's face it, then you are justified is using Vulkan Hestan.

Blood Ravens are pretty cool too, but I don't know too much about their background. Would they use the Blood Angels codex?

I LOVE how Imperial Fists look, but attempts to get into them by reading their background left me kind of, well, bored.

Apologist
23-12-2011, 09:15
I'd go for Ultramarines if you're really enthusiastic about the Chapter (and judging by your username, you are!) then that tends to override anti-Ultramarine teasing. Besides defeat your enemies with quality: make them the best damn Ultramarines you can. :)

Of course, if you're bored of blue, then why not try one of the Primogenitor Chapters?

The Primogenitors are the Chapters created from the old Ultramarines Legion during the Second Founding. There are conflicting records as to exactly how many Primogenitor or 'First Born' Chapters were created at this time. However all of these Chapters venerate Roboute Guilliman, the Primarch of the Ultramarines, and their own founding father and patron. All of them are also strict adherents of the Codex Astartes.

Known Primogenitor Chapters are: Eagle Warriors, Silver Eagles, Doom Eagles, Novamarines, Patriarchs of Ulixis, White Consuls, Black Consuls, Libators, Inceptors, Praetors of Orpheus, Genesis Chapter and the Aurora Chapter. It is believed that there were a further eleven or more Primogenitors but the names of these have been lost in the passing of time and no other 41st Millennium Chapters claim the honour.

There are some great schemes amongst the Primogenitors. I favour the Novamarines, personally: all the awesome of the Ultramarines, none of the hate, plus they're a fleet-based Chapter so any battle makes sense and on top of that, mysterious non-Codex Librarians...:shifty:

Gimp
23-12-2011, 09:51
If you like Ultramarines but want to be a unique little snowflake at the same time you could do a slightly themed army.

Ventris' 4th Company with their green shoulder trims for example would set your men apart from all the other Ultramarine armies. Hey you could even use Sicarius as Ventris.

totgeboren
23-12-2011, 10:45
Do ultramarines, or maybe the White Consuls (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/White_Consuls)? (Though I would not paint the trim of the shoulderpads green. Most paint it blue, and that looks much better!) They are like Ultramarines in tactics and demeanour, only less Mary Sue and more.... human.

They play a big role in the book 'Dark Creed', where they come across as real 'good guys', defenders of humanity.

However, white is tricky to paint well, but I just wanted to say that there are many Chapters out there that do and are what the Ultras are, without anyone teasing you about using the posterboys.

Jo-Jo
23-12-2011, 13:16
Or, as an alternative to make sure you enjoy them, create your own chapter!?

lordbeefy
23-12-2011, 13:21
blood ravens...good color scheme....you already have an interest in them, and you can paint what you play video games with....what more do you want.

agurus1
23-12-2011, 19:10
Honestly there is guy at my local gw who has an amazingly painted ultramarines army and it looks amazing fully deployed on the table!

ashc
23-12-2011, 19:54
I know how you feel SUV, wanting to return to marines but not being able to settle on a Chapter.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
23-12-2011, 21:44
ahem, it's supposed to be 'unto'

as for your question, I'd say either salamanders or Blood Ravens using the BA codex.

But I want to go INto the breach, not just TO it. I don't want to proxy an army, so if I use the Blood Angels Codex I have to use Blood Angels.

I'd say Blood Ravens, as they are not quite as common as the Ultras and Salamanders. Imperial Fists would be cool, but you don't seem very interested in them, so that would be a waste.

Well, convince me. What is awesome about the Imperial Fists?

go blood ravens, not many people play them it so you would probably have a unique army in your gaming group.
dont take ultramarines, as that army is the army of choice for a 10 yr olds first army, and you dont want to be part of that crowd

They were also MY first army, though I was 21 or so at the time. I don't care that other people think they are boring, I care that they HATE them. With violent and unreasonable vigor.

Salamanders have a cool background and color scheme. Plus, let's face it, then you are justified is using Vulkan Hestan.

Blood Ravens are pretty cool too, but I don't know too much about their background. Would they use the Blood Angels codex?

I LOVE how Imperial Fists look, but attempts to get into them by reading their background left me kind of, well, bored.

I like the Salamanders, but not a huge fan of special characters. I'd rather use the framework that exists and flesh out my own army group. If I do Blood Raven I'll use the regular Marines codex, as I love me some variety. I also want to like the Fists (both varieties) but I need some help.

I'd go for Ultramarines if you're really enthusiastic about the Chapter (and judging by your username, you are!) then that tends to override anti-Ultramarine teasing. Besides defeat your enemies with quality: make them the best damn Ultramarines you can. :)

Of course, if you're bored of blue, then why not try one of the Primogenitor Chapters?

There are some great schemes amongst the Primogenitors. I favour the Novamarines, personally: all the awesome of the Ultramarines, none of the hate, plus they're a fleet-based Chapter so any battle makes sense and on top of that, mysterious non-Codex Librarians...:shifty:

I made my username years and years ago. I don't play Ultras anymore, although I do have a soft spot for them.

If you like Ultramarines but want to be a unique little snowflake at the same time you could do a slightly themed army.

Ventris' 4th Company with their green shoulder trims for example would set your men apart from all the other Ultramarine armies. Hey you could even use Sicarius as Ventris.

I don't care about be a unique little snowflake, Mr. Durden, it's more about really enjoying the army I am modeling/playing with. I don't know that I'm still into the Ultramarines in this newest incarnation. I'm more Chaotic/Neurtal Good than Lawful Good.

Do ultramarines, or maybe the White Consuls (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/White_Consuls)? (Though I would not paint the trim of the shoulderpads green. Most paint it blue, and that looks much better!) They are like Ultramarines in tactics and demeanour, only less Mary Sue and more.... human.

They play a big role in the book 'Dark Creed', where they come across as real 'good guys', defenders of humanity.

However, white is tricky to paint well, but I just wanted to say that there are many Chapters out there that do and are what the Ultras are, without anyone teasing you about using the posterboys.

They do have rad shoulderpads, but I'm not into the Consuls.

Or, as an alternative to make sure you enjoy them, create your own chapter!?

I seem to recall writing something about not wanting to make my own Chapter...

blood ravens...good color scheme....you already have an interest in them, and you can paint what you play video games with....what more do you want.

Indeed. That's why they're on the list. Vote recorded.

Honestly there is guy at my local gw who has an amazingly painted ultramarines army and it looks amazing fully deployed on the table!

I don't think they can't look good. It's all about the obnoxious comments.

I know how you feel SUV, wanting to return to marines but not being able to settle on a Chapter.

It's like being a kid in a very specific kind of candy store where you can only afford to pick one kind of candy, and then you're going to play miniature games with them against other people for years. Yes, just like that.

Corax the Deliverer
23-12-2011, 22:09
I would put a vote in for the Raven Guard. They don't have a tremendous amount of fluff but what they have is strong. From Corax helping the people up from a corrupt regime by using just his mind and what the locals had. To his dedication to his people not wanting to leave them unless the Emperor promised they would be taken care of.
The RG tactics are more like special forces. It is not that their troops are better it is just they spend time gathering information and use that intel to their advantage with surgical precision. They use scout squads, drop pod in troops, some assault squads for precision tactics, and are a codex astartes army so you have tactical flexibility. As a bonus the new FW Korvydae and the upgrade pack are just beautiful. Good luck to whatever army you choose.