PDA

View Full Version : Orcs and Night Gobbo List 2250

tanglethorn
23-12-2011, 20:36
So I made the below list because I own most of the models.

The concept is to put a couple of Night goblin bosses with 2 hand weapons and bows in the unit of Night goblins with shortbows. The BSB will be in the same unit with the Banner of the Spider God. With all the characters in the front rank, the Shaman will be pushed safely to the 2nd rank. I put in 1 fanatic to see if I can make it work.

All the Night Gobbo heroes with great weapons will be deployed in the Night Gobbo spear unit. With the front rank full of high str attacks from the gobbo heroes, backed up with a bunch of spear attacks from the 2nd and 3rd ranks, should make people think twice about enganging this unit.

For fun and experimentation, I took a Night gobbo hero on a cave Squig. He could be pretty nasty if I can get him locked in. Since I don't like characters on mounts being alone I attached him to a min sized unit of squig hoppers since he allows a reroll on the movement dice.

I used an Orc Warboss for the Ld 9. I placed him in a unit of Orc Boy Biguns with shields and the Razor standard for some additional punch. I know Savage Orcs are better, but I dont currently have the models and I'm sticking to a theme where this mob of Boyz is basically bullying all these Night Gobbos around.

I added 2 units of min sized Wolf Riders for redirecting and Warmachine hunting.

For some punch I choose a Unit of 6 River Trolls (Mostly because I love the models so much).

Instead of using chariots to flank units that I have engaged I went with 2 Pump Wagons and 2 manglers squigs.

What do you guys think? Could this work? Also I still have around 50 points which I havent used yet.

1 Orc Warboss, 171 pts Great Weapon)
Armour of Destiny

1 Night Goblin Great Shaman, 200 pts (Level 4 Upgrade;
Earthing Rod

1 Night Goblin Big Boss (Battle Standard Bearer), 146 pts (Hand Weapon; Short Bow; Light Armour; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer)
Spider Banner

1 Night Goblin Big Boss, 41 pts (Extra Hand Weapon; Short Bow; Light Armour)
Ironcurse Icon

1 Night Goblin Big Boss, 36 pts (Extra Hand Weapon; Short Bow; Light Armour)

1 Night Goblin Big Boss, 36 pts (Great Weapon; Light Armour)

1 Night Goblin Big Boss, 36 pts (Great Weapon; Light Armour)

1 Night Goblin Big Boss, 86 pts (Great Weapon; Light Armour)
Mount Great Cave Squig

59 Night Goblins, 255 pts (Champ, Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Nets; Spear; Shield)

34 Night Goblins, 195 pts (Champ, Musician Mus; Nets; Short Bow)
1 Fanatic

30 Orc Big'Uns, 335 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield)
1 Razor Standard

5 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers, 60 pts ( Immune to Psychology; Skirmishers)

5 Goblin Wolf Riders, 60 pts (Spear; Light Armour; Shield)

5 Goblin Wolf Riders, 60 pts (Spear; Light Armour; Shield)

6 River Trolls, 270 pts

1 Snotling Pump Wagon, 45 pts

1 Snotling Pump Wagon, 45 pts

1 Mangler Squig, 65 pts

1 Mangler Squig, 65 pts

adamwelton
23-12-2011, 23:42
You have a similar plan to mine apart from Spiders instead of Wolves and two units of Black Orcs instead of Wagons and Squigs. I swapped an unused army of Chaos Warriors for what I have and I don't want to stump up more cash for GW's overpriced pap either. Most of my models are classic and I love them.

I still use my units in the same manner as you do and it works so your planning is sound, apart from your use of massed Goblin characters which can be a points drain if your units collapse when hit hard. Goblins don't stand long and are better used as flankers or missile screens (which I see you have planned for). Goblin characters are also very weak and may not give a good return on their investment over extra rank and file models. However you can only give it a try as you will get some use out of the models eventually. The only thing that will let you down is the low number of models in your supporting units. If you make them bigger they hit harder and give your Goblin blocks a longer life on the table. That seems to be the name of the game this time around.

Otherwise, a decent organisation of your selection. Give it a whirl and let me know the result.

winsafra
26-12-2011, 01:54
I run alot of characters in orc and goblin armies, but wow, let us all know how this list goes!

zielonkak
26-12-2011, 02:00
thats the green skin way...ive seen a 100 man block of gobos with 8 characters in the front row...a bsb, a lord shamen, and 6 bosses with great weapons....it was somewhat intiminating....the worst part was the unit was stubborn and rerolled all tests and the general wasnt even in the unit...add nets and fanatics and it was a rough day...i also use a bunch of characters when i play mine but i mix up the orcs and gobos...

tanglethorn
27-12-2011, 19:18
I think my only concern is the lack of units. Should I make room for an other unit of Gobbos? As it stands I have the one unit of 30 Big Uns, 60 Night goblins with Spears and 34 Archers. is this enough for a 2250 List?

zielonkak
28-12-2011, 02:46
U probably need another hard hitter like blackorcs or big unit of trolls.

Holy_Combat
28-12-2011, 04:04
Night goblins can't take the spider banner

tanglethorn
28-12-2011, 15:45
Night goblins can't take the spider banner

You sure about that? I've seen several tournie lists that have Nigh Goblin heroes using the Spider Banner and also Army Builder allows me to take a Night Gobbo hero with the Spider banner as well.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

HaeSuse
28-12-2011, 16:10
You sure about that? I've seen several tournie lists that have Nigh Goblin heroes using the Spider Banner and also Army Builder allows me to take a Night Gobbo hero with the Spider banner as well.

Warhammer OnG army book pg 75 under Spider Banner...

This standard may only be taken by a Goblin Battle Standard Bearer(not a night goblin).

So, if you made the guy holding it a goblin but put him in a night goblin unit, you should be good.

Holy_Combat
28-12-2011, 18:44

More than ever to always double check with the actual rules in the Army Book or FAQs. With army builder, trust but verify.