PDA

View Full Version : Giants in 40k

Commanderxenos
21-04-2006, 03:46
What would be a good way to use the new plastic guant in 40k? I was thinking maybe it would be good in a Lost and the Damned army, only thing is, where would it go? As a spawn? As a big mutant boss? Or maybe even as a converted tank, even if I use it as a tank, how would I model it?

New Cult King
21-04-2006, 03:48
Give it plasticard armour and a BFG, and you'll be set ;)

Maybe have a couple LATD troops hanging off him with heavy bolters to represent hull/sponson weapons?

Rypher
21-04-2006, 04:19
SUPER-HEAVY TANK
Not sure if LATD can use the Baneblade or not...
If not, add some height and use him as a DP or maybe a chaos Warhound Titan! : D

Commanderxenos
21-04-2006, 04:19
well I'm not sure sure about using it as a tank. Although it does sound cool, I was kinda hoping to make it more like a giant zombie.. I assume you can guess my army theme idea. Although a deamon prince would be cool. And I doubt a titan would work, same as the baneblade.

piotrov
21-04-2006, 04:46
Properly converted (weapons, tech-y stuff), I could see a giant making a pretty cool counts-as Defiler.

ExxonValdez
21-04-2006, 05:10
Orcs enslave giants. Orks could enslave a giant. Throw some armour on it and give it a gun and call it a dreadnought. Statured Chaos Lords are by scale supposed to be about 10"tall.

TheSonOfAbbadon
21-04-2006, 05:17
You might be able to use one with the wraithlord rules as it doesn't have an AV like a dreadnought and is a walker.

If you used it as a dread, it would sometimes be hard to see whether you were hitting the side or the front as it's doesn't have 4 clear sides like a vehicle or a dread.

ExxonValdez
21-04-2006, 05:26
easiest way to do that is create a centre point on the front of the "dread" and then do the math, find the angles and tell your opponent. Call it 90 degree sections. have a mark on each 90 degree point of the base.

Chem-Dog
21-04-2006, 05:31
You might be able to use one with the wraithlord rules as it doesn't have an AV like a dreadnought and is a walker.

If you used it as a dread, it would sometimes be hard to see whether you were hitting the side or the front as it's doesn't have 4 clear sides like a vehicle or a dread.

Unless you keep it on the Base supplied ;)

Although there is a minimum size you can claim Daemonic Stature, there isn't a Maximum, go for it with the Statured Lord, I'm seriously thinking about it.

ExxonValdez
21-04-2006, 05:49
I am thinking about using one for my statured nurgle lord. Or scratch build a typhus with a giant and nid/chaos bits. Problem is the gaming group I play with use True Line of Sight. So he would be targeted from anywhere on the board in most cases. Its unfortunate, I talked to a bunch of them and asked if my conversions are bigger than standard models can we use the standard heights and they said sure so I might go ahead and make my statured lord.

Can we use square bases in 40k? Never seen it done.

piotrov
21-04-2006, 06:09
Orcs enslave giants. Orks could enslave a giant. Throw some armour on it and give it a gun and call it a dreadnought.
Or throw a few gunz on it and call it a Squiggoth...

Can we use square bases in 40k? Never seen it done.
I believe the rule is as long as the base is atleast as big as the one it comes with (or bigger) it's legal. In most cases you should be fine with square bases. I've known folks who have based their daemons on square bases so they can use 'em in both their 40K and WFB Chaos armies.

Alco Engineer
21-04-2006, 07:35
I believe the rule is as long as the base is atleast as big as the one it comes with (or bigger) it's legal. In most cases you should be fine with square bases. I've known folks who have based their daemons on square bases so they can use 'em in both their 40K and WFB Chaos armies.

You'll actually find that the Avatar and Wraithlord used to come on square bases. Mine are still on them and they haven't been pulled up as illegal.

I was thinking along the lines of Pitrov's Defiler too. Maybe give him a great cannon or something (or a mortar if you want indirect ;) ) and that'd be a great weapon for him. His WS2 would illustrate his shear size and clumsiness, while he'd be a monstorous creature and would ignore crew stunned/crew shaken results. I think that'd be very sweet, especially in a LatD army!

Serpine
21-04-2006, 09:25
What would be a good way to use the new plastic giant in 40k?

:confused:

It would probably make an entertaining Sentinel...

Or you could try to represent it using the "Creature Feature" rules from WD #291 (updated version found here (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/painting/creatures/default.htm)). Under those rules (and the updates) I would give it Large, Bipedal, Strong, Tough, Resilient x 3, Heavily Armored, Slow-Witted, Acidic Blood (to represent falling over on you), Deadly Attack, Fearfull Presence, Gaping Maw, Intimidation, Massive, Resilience (Slug).

This would be (I believe):

119 points
WS 4, S 6, T 6, W 4, I 1, A 1, LD 10, Sv 4+
S4 hit on base contact when it dies.
Sacrifice all attacks to do a S 8, Hits on 5+, ignores armor save strike.
- 1 Leadership to those fighting it.
On 6 to hit man size dice off, and instant kill if you win.
If creature stands around, non fearless enemies must pass leadership at -1 to attack it.
Monstrous Creature.
4+ Invulnerable Save Versus Non Heavy Solid Slugs.

CommunistBrother
21-04-2006, 15:06
I will be grafting the upper half of the giant to the Defiler spider leg chassis. Then I'm torn between making one of his arms turn into the battle-cannon or mount it on his shoulder and putting a Basilisk-esque firing platform with traitors firing it.

I think the giant could make a good statured lord, leman russ, defiler, and, if you really wanna' go crazy, a Hellhound. Come on, that would be funny. Strap a huge tank on his back and put a jumbo flame-thrower in his hands. "Vehicle Explodes" results means you've hit his fuel tank and BOOM!

Darkseer
21-04-2006, 15:20
I find myself asking just one question: Why?

lord_blackfang
21-04-2006, 15:55

Same here. It's a barely passable model even by Fantasy standards. It would look even worse in a 40k army.

But if the original poster's mind is set, I suggest using the rules for Forgeworld's Spined Chaos Beast.

calicojack
21-04-2006, 16:31
Giant? Forgeworld Giant Spawn rules!! In fact, the new plastic Giant has enough "extras" that you could manage to make three differing Spawn for the unit [they need not look quite identical]...

Hmm....

Shaper Shakra
21-04-2006, 16:42

Because some people like to have armies that don't look like everyone else's. I know I do.

Commanderxenos
21-04-2006, 16:44
giant chaos spawns? perfect! I might include 3, but they may not all be giants, I mean, why can't a giant undead carnifex work as well?

metallegion
21-04-2006, 19:44
I like the Defilers legs with the giant torso idea... but the big two legged beast its self will look rediculous and is really too big for a sentinal/dread.. and probably way too tall for a tank and sqiggoth.

jfrazell
21-04-2006, 19:45
There are also monster rules on the GW UK site (or used to be) I think under creature feature. It had something dinosaurlike, but you could use the rules for your giant.

Otherwise, as noted for an LATD army you're in luck, count him as a big ugly demon prince. Mayhaps model some big muties from Ogres or LOTR trolls. You have a beautiful army theme.

defilers- use ogres with a homemade catapult on a base.

Sharpe
21-04-2006, 19:59
I planned to make one into a H-grade combat servitor to be used as a kill team nemisis

Ironhand
21-04-2006, 20:28
The idea of merging the upper half of the giant with the bottom half of the Defiler sounds interesting, but I don't think giant model is good enough to be worth the bother.

Yrandrasil
21-04-2006, 20:52
My only thought would be a Penitent Engine in a Witchhunters army. I think it would be cool to play it off as some freaky abhuman that has been subjugated into the services of an Inquisitor.

Sure, I am not really keen on the model, but I like the idea that you are going for something different!

Later

ArtificerArmour
22-04-2006, 12:53
Turn it into a huge obliterator cult member
make it count as a defiler or daemon prince.

mjc1000
22-04-2006, 18:13
i think you could use him in a mutated army

use green stuf to make him look like a mutant

use him as a HQ choice for them

if any one else has any ideas to expand this please do

Dr Death
22-04-2006, 19:27
I would suggest a Nurgle spawn, using that huge distended gut to give it some fear factor. Take it off the hideously spindly legs, shove the giants feet coming out from under it (like the current spawn) and then do whatever you will with it using greenstuff. You could even use the arms to make it walk on its hands like the pod racer alien (sebulba?) from star wars episode one.

Dr Death