PDA

View Full Version : Clan Skryre Swarm - 2K Pts. of Skaven

ClockBlock
26-12-2011, 14:45
Hi all! After receiving the latest Skaven army book for Christmas yesterday, I've read over the entire army book, front to back, and decided I'd like to make a sort of 'preliminary' list before I actually begin collecting the models. It is purely hypothetical, so feel free to suggest anything to add in/ take out.

I am focusing on the stereotypical horde of Skaven, but also focusing on making it a Clan Skryre kind of horde. So that means Jezzails, Warp Lightning Cannons, Warlock Engineers, ect. Anyways, without further ado, lets get on to the list itself.

The Second Revised List

Lords
Grey Seer - 265 pts
- Earthing Rod (I believe it is 25 pts, correct me if I am wrong)

Heros
Warlock Engineer - 110 pts (Goes with the Stormvermin)
- Level 1 Wizard (Will always use Warp Lightning)
- Warp-Energy Condenser
- Dispel Scroll

Chieftain - 70 pts
- BSB

Core
x60 Skavenslaves - 120 pts

x60 Skavenslaves - 120 pts

x40 Clanrats - 270 pts
- Full Command
- Shields
- Warpfire Thrower

x40 Clanrats - 270 pts
- Full Command
- Shields
- Warpfire Thrower

x40 Stormvermin - 330 pts
- Full Command (Champion has Poisoned Attacks)
- Standard Bearer
- Poisoned Wind Mortar

Special
Warplock Jezzail Team - 60 pts

Warplock Jezzail Team - 60 pts

Rare
Warp-Lightning Cannon - 90 pts

Warp-Lightning Cannon - 90 pts

Doomwheel - 150 pts

Total: 2005 Points (Well, that's five points over the limit...Any suggestions on what to remove?)

boli
27-12-2011, 12:01
What is going on with your slaves?

20 blocks of 10 (illegal)
10 blocks of 20 (worthless)

If you have 200 slaves and want them to hold up the enemy do: 4 blocks of 50

Tokunator
27-12-2011, 14:42
Doesn't look great.

First of all, give the Scroll to a secondary caster. The Seer should have an Earthing Rod or a Book of Ashur to be either better protected or a stronger caster.

Drop the Slaves to 2 times 50, that should be enough to tarpit two units.

Give the Stormvermin a Standard. The bonus for having a BSB stacks with the regular banner and a Skaven Chieftain is not that tough anyway, so your main hand to hand unit should have a guaranteed banner bonus, not just a fragile one. Ideally, give them the banner of the Under-Empire, 2d6 hits are always good, even if they are just Strength 2.

Give at least one unit of Clanrats some spears. It will only set you back 20 points and they add a lot of attacks, especially if your Seer gets the poisoned attacks spell.

I would definitely add another Warlock and make them both Level 2, especially if you wish to play a Skyre army. Give one the Doomrocket and the Warp Accumulator and the other one a Dispel Scroll and the Death Globe. That way you can cast two Warp Lightnings a turn, one with +2 hits.

BlackPawl
27-12-2011, 16:41
A Skyre army can be great, but you have to have also some luck because their weapons can have a great effect against your enemy and with a misfire against your own units.

As one other said the 20 * 10 slaves are illegal, I would use 2 units of 60+ slaves. If you took one WLC then take the second one too, and instead of ratling guns take waprfire thrower teams - if you can pin an enemy unit with your slaves and put your WFT in a good position this could mean the end of the enemy unit.

If you want to use the spell warplighning than take a condenser - it's the best combinition.

What is a Skyre army without a Doomwheel? It's a nice centerpiece and can handle big monsters and eliminate (light) enemy flankers. :evilgrin:

A small unit of globadiers with a PWM would be nice to handle such things like steam tanks and sphinxes. It's just 115 points (drop the giant rats for them) and they fitr nice in a skyre army!

Also: if you put your BSB into the stormvermin then give them a magic banner (maybe the -1 as banner) and give him some magic protection (a ward, better armor etc.). If not you will loose your second important character in the first round of combat.

ClockBlock
27-12-2011, 21:44
Thanks so far for the replies, guys.

So 20 units of slaves is illegal? Hmm. I though you could have as many core as you could cram in there- in the army books there's always a minimum (I think it's 3+ for any 2000 pt. army.) I'm still sort of a noob to Warhammer...I wasn't really into playing the 7th edition and I've only played two 8th edition games.

Oh, I kept forgetting about the 'Strength in Numbers' rule of the Skaven. But then again, I am fairly new to Skaven. Thanks for the help, I'll edit the list and see what I can do.

However, my problem with Slaves is that they have a base Ld 2, and even x60 slaves in a horde formation only gives them Ld 7- average, but what if they run off and never rally? Oh well, every game is different, I suppose.

As one other said the 20 * 10 slaves are illegal, I would use 2 units of 60+ slaves. If you took one WLC then take the second one too, and instead of ratling guns take warpfire thrower teams - if you can pin an enemy unit with your slaves and put your WFT in a good position this could mean the end of the enemy unit.

There is a problem though- One WLC counts as one rare choice. There's no option to take a second one along with the first- so I'm taking a Doomwheel instead of a second WLC.

boli
28-12-2011, 08:42
slaves are 20+ i.e. you can only field a unit of 20 minimum.

Slaves have really bad leadership on their own (2) which can be increased to 5 (with strength in numbers) NOTE: the SiN only take sinto account the RANK BONUS, which caps out at +3 when adding to leadership tests.

Where slaves realy come into their own is

* Using the General's leadership if within 12" of him. (so, 7 (+3 from SiN = 10)
* Re-rollable Leradership tests from BSB nearby also.
* Steadfast, even if they loose combat if they have more RANKS (total ranks) then they take leadership break tests at their base leadership.

So in short as long as you keep the slave unts withing 12" of your General and BSB and have more ranks than your enemy that you are fighting you have rerollable Ld10 - roughly translated you're not going to run away for a while. The enemy may kill 20 slaves a turn... but if you have enough slaves he'll never break the unit (easily).

Don't mean this to take 200 slaves in 5x40 formation whilst this is not technically illiegal it is frowned upon as bad sportmanship so keep them to units of 50 or 60. This also gives you some manourability on the battlefield.

The revised list looks a lot better although the Poisoned Wind Mortor with the Poisoned Wind Globadiers is just an easy kill. I would attach the PWM to the stormvermin and like all your weapon teams keep them BEHIND your unit until they are in range - the PWM can actually fire indirectly also in this fashion - which will kepe it alive for a good while longer :)

There is a problem though- One WLC counts as one rare choice. There's no option to take a second one along with the first- so I'm taking a Doomwheel instead of a second WLC.

You need to have a reead through the 8th edition rulebook. You no longer count in number of rare choices but in percentages of your final points score.

____________Points Limit______Duplicate Choices
LORDS________up to 25%_________No Limit
HEROES_______up to 25%_________No Limit
CORE_________25% or more_______No Limit
SPECIAL______up to 50%_________Up to 3 (6 if a grand army of 3,000 points or more)
RARE_________Up to 25%_________Up to 2 (4 if a grand army of 3,000 points or more)

Tokunator
28-12-2011, 08:46
The Slaves can only get +3 Ld, as it is capped like the rank bonus at +3, but you can use your general's Ld if he is within 12 inches, so you should have 6 or 7 + 3= 9-10 total.

You can invest 500 points in rare choices (ignore the rules in the armies book, as instructed in the FAQ on the GW site, which you should have a look at). You can take each rare choice twice and each special one 3 times (so max. 2 WLC and max. 3 units of Ogres), but otherwise, you are free to choose with 25% of your points.

20 units are not illegal, it is just that the minimum size is 20 per unit.

ClockBlock
28-12-2011, 15:42
Thanks for the suggestions/advice, everyone! Yeah, the PWGs do seem like an easy kill (only 5 PWGs and a PWM...)

Thanks for pointing out the 20+ slave minimum, I'm still sort of new to Skaven and all. Same goes to the 8th edition rulebook...Alright, I'll see if I can take another WLC. I've still got my head somewhat in the 7th edition though (although I wasn't really into playing with 7th edition rules- I'm just still stuck on the two rare choice maximum.)

Thanks for sort of stating some facts from the 8th edition, I'm still getting used to them. I'll see if I can pinch off a few points from something to add another WLC.

Alright, I'll revise the list a second time and see what I can do.

Edit: Considering I am 5 points over the limit, I'm thinking of getting rid of x10 slaves in each unit, which would bring them down to x50 overall in each unit. However, I am thinking of giving all 100 skavenslaves shields, which would give the slaves 6+ ward saves. Would that be a good move?

BlackPawl
28-12-2011, 22:31
Most player say that any equipment on slaves are worthless because you pay 25% for it and - for shields - get only 16% back (against S4).
So more buddies are technical better but I run one unit of 100 slaves in horde formation ("The Undying") with spears and hope to get the poison spell on them. :-)