PDA

View Full Version : Buildings, Impassable Terrain, and Cannons

Once Bitten
27-12-2011, 00:39
I searched through this forum for the ways to handle a cannonball bounce through a building. The consensus seemed to be that although a fence will stop a cannonball in its tracks, a building won't even slow it down.

On page 126 of the BRB it says that "for the most part, buildings are treated as impassable terrain" (the exception being that troops can garrison them). Under the cannon section (p.112) it says that if a ball hits impassable terrain (that would realistically stop it), that the cannonball inflicts hits on troops garrisoning it, but otherwise stops.

To me it seems that the rules match common sense - that a cannonball hitting a building, which is treated as impassable terrain, would stop. The only other interpretation I can think of is if a building would not "in reality" stop the cannonball, which is debatable.

There are a lot of people on this site more versed in rules interpretations than I am. What say ye?

Iraf
27-12-2011, 00:55
I feel like you've answered your own question. Yes, a cannonball stops once it's come in contact with a building. If a unit is inside that building it has D6 Str 10 hits inflicted on the unit.

Mr_Rose
27-12-2011, 02:20
Whether a building would stop a cannonball is entirely dependent on the building's construction; just ask the MythBusters. :p

sulla
27-12-2011, 09:17
Whether a building would stop a cannonball is entirely dependent on the building's construction; just ask the MythBusters. :p:D Perhaps we should ask mythbusters if a cannon could hit a flying creature too? ;)

T10
27-12-2011, 09:39
Flying creatures land when it's time for the enemy to shoot. It's only polite, innit?

-T10

Mid'ean
29-12-2011, 05:02
:D Perhaps we should ask mythbusters if a cannon could hit a flying creature too? ;)

We could ask any birds that where flying thru the neighborhood if they saw a cannonball passing by????....:wtf:

MOMUS
29-12-2011, 06:52
Before each match i usually go through what each terrain 'actually' is and mention cannon ball stopping potential.

pippin_nl
30-12-2011, 06:32
I feel like you've answered your own question. Yes, a cannonball stops once it's come in contact with a building. If a unit is inside that building it has D6 Str 10 hits inflicted on the unit.

Each doing D6 wounds, so nice versus ogres.

T10
30-12-2011, 15:33
In my experience, that adds up to exactly 1 wound. :)