PDA

View Full Version : Lexicanum not working?

Glenn87
28-12-2011, 21:03
Hey, I can't seem to open Lexicanum.
Does anyone else have a problem with it??

Project2501
28-12-2011, 21:21
It's been as slow as pouring molasses on a cold day for the past day or so, it probably just needed a rest :)

Edit: It is not working for me either as of this posting, so you are not alone.

tuo
28-12-2011, 21:43
Lexicanum.de and Lexicanum.com seems to be hosted in Germany, and if I look closely by a smaller provider.

From 27th to 30th of December, the Chaos Communication Congress in Germany takes place, which is a huge gathering of hacker from all over the world (I am there myself sometimes) and many times the hack center from the C3 decides to hack smaller providers, so I'd venture a guess and say that it returns back to normal operation after December 30th.

regards

tuo

Glenn87
28-12-2011, 21:44
Lexicanum.de and Lexicanum.com seems to be hosted in Germany, and if I look closely by a smaller provider.

From 27th to 30th of December, the Chaos Communication Congress in Germany takes place, which is a huge gathering of hacker from all over the world (I am there myself sometimes) and many times the hack center from the C3 decides to hack smaller providers, so I'd venture a guess and say that it returns back to normal operation after December 30th.

regards

tuo

And the use of this is...? to annoy people??

tuo
28-12-2011, 22:33
Don't ask me, ask them. I cannot understand it, and I stopped trying to a long time ago.
To them, it's a game of finding security holes.

I used to be in the hackcenter many times (in the demo scene, C64 prod scene), and when someone managed to get a passwd file, dozens if not hundres of people jumped on it like vultures.

The people with some sense of honor actually posted the security hole to the admin-emailadress of the hosting service instead of disclosing it or even exploiding it. But you always have the other guys....hacker ethics is a complex topic...

Glenn87
28-12-2011, 22:46
Don't ask me, ask them. I cannot understand it, and I stopped trying to a long time ago.
To them, it's a game of finding security holes.

I used to be in the hackcenter many times (in the demo scene, C64 prod scene), and when someone managed to get a passwd file, dozens if not hundres of people jumped on it like vultures.

The people with some sense of honor actually posted the security hole to the admin-emailadress of the hosting service instead of disclosing it or even exploiding it. But you always have the other guys....hacker ethics is a complex topic...

nah, I'm soooo done with hackers ever since the PSN massacre...not being able to play CoD:BO for a few weeks was HELL (it did get me to paint some models tough)

chromedog
29-12-2011, 00:29
Again?

It goes down more often than my ex girlfriend.

No great loss, anyway. It's still just a badly researched wiki.

dblaz3r
29-12-2011, 09:13
So what you're saying is it's a good thing Lexicanum is down? :p

chromedog
29-12-2011, 09:57
Yep.

It's not the worst wiki out there, but it's not up there with the best, either.

Project2501
29-12-2011, 15:45
As of this posting, Lexicanum is working again.

Glenn87
29-12-2011, 21:54
As of this posting, Lexicanum is working again.

Still isn't working for me...

Vet.Sister
29-12-2011, 22:03
Yep.

It's not the worst wiki out there, but it's not up there with the best, either.

Care to post the top 3 best Wikis for 40K?

Project2501
29-12-2011, 22:04
Still isn't working for me...

You're about ~4hrs. too late I'm afraid, as it is indeed, down again.

Glenn87
29-12-2011, 22:48
Care to post the top 3 best Wikis for 40K?

yeah, would be great!!

chromedog
30-12-2011, 05:59
Can't post what doesn't exist.

I didn't say it wasn't the best 40k wiki.
I said it wasn't the worst or best wiki (non-specific).

I don't regard ANY wiki as a good source of information unless it has been cited and cross referenced with multiple sources.

JManJump
30-12-2011, 07:56

I do not mean to be rude but way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Project2501
30-12-2011, 08:02
As of this posting it is back up again.

Leftenant Gashrog
30-12-2011, 22:27
I don't regard ANY wiki as a good source of information unless it has been cited and cross referenced with multiple sources.

To be fair Lexicanum has come a great way since the days of the Iron Fists debacle ~ even a few years back when the new vanilla marine codex came out someone posted a rant on Bolter & Chainsword because the Lexicanum mods had undid the guys updates because they weren't verifiable (he'd gotten he pre-order a few days before the release date).

Satan
30-12-2011, 22:48

I didn't say it wasn't the best 40k wiki.
I said it wasn't the worst or best wiki (non-specific).

Why would you demand that this be the case for wikis, as opposed to say journalism publications or broadcasts?

Inquisitor S.
02-01-2012, 09:57
For the record: no, there was no hacking. Neither by the Chaos Computer Club (which would be rather silly, too, as the Police would just have to go to the Conference Center to get the responsibles) or by anybody else. The reason is simply that due to the holiday season and the popularity of the Lexicanum there were too many visitors to the project. So the server just could not handle it. Attempts to increase the performance a bit were made which resulted in some layout issues that will need to be resolved. But in the end (and it pleases me personally to rub that in with the naysayers) it's simply the huge amount of readers peaking during the christmas season.

And HAPPY NEW YEAR by the way :)

Cryptic
02-01-2012, 10:46
it angered me to have to use another wiki :( i always use lexicanum mostly because it looks a lot more inviting.