PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Clan Skrit vs Wood Elves

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:48
Overview
Scenario: Watchtower
Date Played: 20th December 2011

Having been away on holiday for November it was time to get back into the swing of normal life and play some WHFB! We'd planned 3 games over the course of a day. 3 players (Skaven, Wood Elves and Vampire Counts), 2 games each.

This is the first game of the day. Skaven vs Wood Elves and we rolled up the Watchtower! *cringe* Oh well...

Clan Skrit

Lord

[WL] Warlord, Halberd, Armour of Silvered Steel (138pts)

Hero

[BSB] Chieftain, Battle Standard Bearer, Halberd (72pts)
[PP][PF] Plague Priest, Plague Furnace, Level 2, Rival Hide Talisman, Flail (304pts)
[WE] Warlock Engineer, Doomrocket, Warp Energy Condenser, Level 1 (115pts)

Core

[CR1] 50 Clanrats, Clawleader, Standard Bearer, Musician, Spears, Shields (270pts)
[DF] Doom Flayer (55pts)
[CR2] 22 Clanrats, Clawleader, Standard Bearer, Musician, Shields (119pts)
[SS] 40 Skaven Slaves Musician (82pts)
[GR1] 6 Giant Rats, 1 Packmaster (26pts)
[GR2] 6 Giant Rats, 1 Packmaster (26pts)

Special

[PM] 35 Plague Monks Bringer-of-the-Word, Standard Bearer, Musician, Plague Banner (300pts)
[GR] 6 Gutter Runners Slings, Poisoned Attacks (108pts)

Rare

[DW] Doomwheel (150pts)
[HPA] Hellpit Abomination (235pts)

Total: 2000pts

Wood Elves

Lord

[SW] Spellweaver, Level 4, Wand of Wych Elm, Hail of Doom Arrow (???pts)

Core

[GG] 40 Glade Guard, Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame (???pts)
[D] 15 Dryads, Champion (???pts)

Special

[W] 10 Wardancers, Champion, Musician (???pts)
[TK] 6 Treekin (??pts)

Rare

[TM] Treeman (???pts)
[GE1] Great Eagle (??pts)
[GE2] Great Eagle (??pts)

Total: ~2000pts

Note: in this game the Treekin are represented with Spirit Host bases and the Great Eagles are represented with Fell Bat models :)

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:49
Deployment

The only terrain of note was the Arcane Ruins in the Wood Elf deployment zone. However despite using 3-4 dice every turn to channel the Spellweaver only managed a couple of 6's all game!

The Wood Elves placed their free wood near the Watchtower.

The Skaven won the roll off to control the watchtower, however the only units they had which were capable of occupying it were Giant Rats! So the Skaven cunningly neglected to send anyone in there.

The Wood Elves deployed fairly centrally, with a view to making sure as many of their units had the option of occupying the tower as possible. Each flank was guarded by a single Great Eagle.

The Skaven also deployed centrally. Positioning the Slaves on the left to try and tie up the Treekin, and the Plague Monks and Plague Furnace on the right to try and push past the Watchtower and wreak havoc.

Spells:
Plague Priest: Vermintide, Pestilent Breath
Warlock Engineer: Warp Lightning
Spellweaver: Regrowth, Earth Blood, The Dwellers Below, Flesh to Stone

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:50
Turn 1 - Wood Elves

The Wood Elves opening turn was pretty straight forward. The Wardancers moved straight for the watchtower while the Treekin, Treeman and Dryads all took up supporting positions on either side. One of the Dryads fell to a poisoned bite from the trees that the Wood Elves had brought into the battle! :)

The Spellweaver moved out of the Arcane Ruins and joined the Glade Guard who had previously turned to maximise their fire power against the Hellpit Abomination which was just lurking on the edge of their range.

On the far left the Great Eagle opted not to charge the Gutter Runners - not wanting to risk their poisoned slings. Instead it flew over the rats and threatened their rear.

In the magic phase the Spellweaver managed to cast Flesh to Stone on the Treekin.

In the shooting phase the Glade Guard drew back the strings on their bows and let loose their flaming arrows at the Hellpit Abomination - but failed to wound with any shots! :)

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:50
Turn 1 - Clan Skrit

The Skaven saw what the Wood Elves were doing - and thought it was good enough to copy! The horde of Clanrats accompanied by the Skaven Warlord pushed towards the watchtower as quickly as possible accompanied by their Doom Flayer. The Hellpit Abomination and Plague Monks kept pace and guarded the right flank.

On the left the Skaven Slaves were a little more conservative. The Doomwheel had failed to move very far, and so the Giant Rats and Slaves needed to manoeuvre to keep the Treekin at bay, but not to commit themselves too early.

On the right the Gutter Runners failed their test to march away from the Great Eagle, so instead they simply moved 6" away and turned to face the feathered nuisance. The other Giant Rat unit also moved up to support them - having nothing else they could do!

In the magic phase the Wood Elves dispelled the Warlock Engineer's attempt to cast Warp Lightning on the Treekin.

The Plague Priest then used the final 2 dice to cast Vermintide though and sent the tide of rats surging towards the Treeman - knowing full well that the Wardancers and Dryads would also be hit. He rolled a double 6! :( All in all, 1 Dryad and 1 Wardancer was killed. Then in the resulting miscast 12 Plague Monks were killed by a magical explosion :mad:

In the shooting phase the Gutter Runners fired 12 poisoned shots at the Great Eagle, but only managed a single wound.

Then the Doomwheel failed it's test to control the lightning bolts and shot the Giant Rats unit - who had been position there for that very reason. The lightning was only S2, however of course the end result was the Packmaster died and the rats themselves were fine!

Having done much more damage to themselves than their opponents, the Skaven ended their first turn.

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:51
Turn 2 - Wood Elves

The Wardancers once again opened up the Wood Elves turn and moved into the Watchtower.

On the right the Treeman and Dryads both backed away from the approaching Hellpit Abomination and Plague Monks. The Treeman took a wound from the Vemon Thicket this time.

The Glade Guard moved up closer to the Hellpit Abomination, hoping to bring themselves into range for their +1S bonus from their bows - but not quite reaching it this turn.

Both of the Great Eagles moved themselves behind the Skaven lines.

In the magic phase the Spellweaver managed to cast The Dwellers Below on the horde of Clanrats with spears. The Warlord survived, however 22 Clanrats were dragged to their doom.

The miscast killed a couple of Glade Guard - the Wood Elves were obviously better at controlling their magical discharges! :)

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:51
Turn 2 - Clan Skrit

The turn started with the Hellpit Abomination surging forwards into the Dryads, eager to find a new stick it could fetch for it's master-moulder!

The Giant Rats on the left, who had lost their packmaster in the previous turn, were forced to attempt a charge on the advancing Treekin. They easily made the roll (now that they had swiftstride).

Finally, the spear armed Clanrat horde charged into the watchtower to try and dislodge the Wardancers.

In other movement, the Slaves and Doomflayer took up positions on the left flank to tie up the Treekin for as many turns as possible - and give the Warlock Engineer a good shot with his Doomrocket.

On the right the Plague Monks moved up slightly. Not wanting to end a charge inside a forest they simply moved to threaten both the Glade Guard and Treeman.

The Giant Rats and Gutter Runners on the right moved to pursue the wounded Giant Eagle, hoping to catch it out sooner or later.

In the magic phase the Warlock Engineer managed to put another wound on the Treeman with a Warp Lightning blast. The Plague Priest then unleashed another Vermintide - hoping to prove that it could do more damage. But sadly it only killed a couple of Glade Guard.

In the shooting phase the Doomwheel made up for it's earlier blunder by zapping 3 Treekin into ashes.

The Gutter Runners continued their lacklustre performance and only managed a single wound against the Great Eagle.

Then the Warlock Engineer lit the fuse on his Doom Rocket. It was aimed at the Glade Guard and despite falling slightly short the explosion killed just shy of 20 elves.

In combat the Hellpit Abomination easily defeated the Dryads and ran them down, ending up touching the base of the Arcane Ruins at the back of the Wood Elf deployment zone.

The Treekin on the left obviously defeated the 6 Giant Rats that had "bravely" charged into them. The Treekin basically got a free move as they pursued and caught the final surviving rat. They ploughed straight into the Doom Flayer.

In the centre the Clanrats did a great job against the Wardancers and managed to kill 7 in total. The Wardancers in return fluffed their attacks and only managed 2-3 kills on the Clanrats, however they passed their stubborn break test (for being in a building) and the 2 survivors held their ground.

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:52
Turn 3 - Wood Elves

With the Treekin occupied in combat against the Doomflayer, the Wardancers elected to remain in the watchtower for another turn to prevent the Skaven getting a paw-hold.

The two Great Eagles took a chance and both charged into the flanks of the Clanrats with spears, hoping to hold them up for a turn.

The Glade Guard and Treeman took up positions back in the Wood Elf deployment zone to shoot the Hellpit Abomination before it did too much more damage.

In the shooting phase the Spellweaver cast regrowth on the Treekin, but only brought back a single model.

In the shooting phase, the Glade Guard were finally all within range - and short range at that! The flaming arrows finally found their mark and inflicted a whopping 8 wounds on the beast - leaving nothing for the Treeman to even attempt to shoot at.

In combat the Doomflayer managed to inflict a single wound on the Treekin before it was pulverised beneath a mass of bark and leaves. The Treekin overran into the Skaven Slaves behind.

Then came a surprise. The Clanrats and Warlord basically fluffed their attacks against the Great Eagles only managing to inflict a single wound. The Great Eagles did enough to win the combat - but the Skaven were steadfast with 2 ranks in tact. Of course the rats failed their Ld9, re-rollable break-test. They fled and were run down by 2 measly eagles! :cries: One of the Great Eagles made it into the flank of the Skaven Slaves, the other fell a few inches short.

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:52
Turn 3 - Clan Skrit

With the Skaven Warlord and his Clanrat horde gone, the Skaven plan had to change slightly!

The Clanrat bunker now had a clear charge against the watchtower and they took it.

The Doomwheel then had a stroke of bad luck. It opted to move towards the watchtower with a view of keeping the Treekin as the closest target to shoot with it's Zzapp attack. However it rolled a massive 17" and smashed into the building - there was nothing left of the contraption after the screeching noises stopped.

The remaining Giant Rats and Gutter Runners moved towards the tower - still hunting the pesky Giant Eagles.

In the magic phase the Warlock Engineer couldn't do much now that he was in combat. So it was up to the Plague Priest who attempted another Vermintide against the Glade Guard. However once again it only managed to kill a couple of elves, and once again it was cast with double 6's and the miscast killed more Plague Monks..leaving the unit with only 10 models left to push the Plague Furnace!

In the shooting phase the Gutter Runners finally finished off the Great Eagle they had been shooting at all game. 36 poisoned shots later, the Great Eagle was finally finished off.

In combat the Wardancers killed a couple of Clanrats, but lost one of their number in return. The lone surviving Wardancer passed his break test though and the Wood Elves continued to hold onto the building.

On the left the Skaven Slaves took heavy losses to the Treekin and Giant Eagle, but they held their ground.

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:53
Turn 4 - Wood Elves

With the building still in their control, and the Treekin still tied up in combat the Wood Elves turn was pretty short.

The Glade Guard and Treeman moved back towards the tower ready to confront the Plague Monks.

The magic phase was pretty uneventful.

In the shooting phase the Glade Guard managed to kill another 5 Plague Monks - trapping the Plague Furnace in position as the unit now counted as having M0" for the rest of the game - but not quite giving up any VP's, oh if only that counted!

In combat the Skaven Slaves killed off the other Great Eagle, but took further heavy losses from the Treekin whom they just couldn't even scratch. The Slaves however held once more.

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:53
Turn 4 - Clan Skrit

With the potential for the game to end this turn, the Skaven had to do something quickly!

The Clanrat bunker once more charged the watchtower hoping to dislodge the final Wardancer from within.

The Giant Rats and Gutter Runners moved up to support - just in case they could sneak into the building later or provide some other cheeky tricks to stop the Wood Elves regaining control.

The Wood Elves shut down the Skaven magic phase.

Only the Gutter Runners could shoot, however they failed to make any marks on the Glade Guard.

In the combat phase the Clanrats finally brought down the last of the Wardancers and they moved to occupy the building :D

However the Treekin also finished off their opponents - the resulting Slave "explosion" doing nothing to the giant tree spirits. The Treekin reformed to face the watchtower :eek:

We rolled to see if the game ended - but it continued for another turn.

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:54
Turn 5 - Wood Elves

There was only one thing left to do - charge the Treekin into the Clanrats occupying the watchtower.

The Treeman and Glade Guard continued their advance. The Treeman had spotted the potential nuisance of the Gutter Runners and Giant Rats, so moved far enough around the immobilised Plague Furnace to threaten them.

In the magic phase the Spellweaver managed to cast regrowth on the Treekin, bringing them back to full strength.

However it was cast with a double 6, and the miscast saw enough Glade Guard ripped apart that the Elves turned and ran towards the board edge.

In combat the Treekin did enough damage to win the combat against the Clanrats, but the Skaven held the tower on a re-rollable, Ld6, break test thanks to the Chieftain BSB having the common sense to stay out of the fighting!

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:55
Turn 5 - Clan Skrit

The Skaven turn was pretty quick - the only movement was to try and position the Gutter Runners and Giant Rats somewhere vaguely useful. But they couldn't stop the Treekin from charging if there was to be another turn - as the Treekin were only 1" away from the building.

There was no magic - as the Plague Priest couldn't see anything!

The Gutter Runners managed a single wound on the Treekin with their poisoned slings - why go rolling average now :)

With that it was up to the dice gods to yield a 5+ to end the game with victory to the Skaven....but it came up with a 4 :cries:

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:55
Turn 6 - Wood Elves

The Treekin once again assaulted the watchtower occupied by the Clanrats. The Treeman also wanted to help and charged the rear of the Gutter Runners - who elected to hold (as by this point I wanted to see them punished and there wasn't much to be gained by fleeing).

The Glade Guard unit rallied and turned to face the watchtower.

There was little for the Wood Elves to do in either magic or shooting phases so it was straight onto combat...

The Treeman easily wiped out the Gutter Runners.

More importantly the Treekin had once again won their combat against the Clanrats. It was down to another rerollable, Ld6, break-test to see if the Clanrats would flee - and they did. The Treekin moved into the watchtower.

With only 2 units left that could even move into buildings - 6 Giant Rats and roughly 10 Clanrats (inc BSB) the Skaven resigned at that point.

Game over - victory to the Wood Elves

tarrym
29-12-2011, 08:56
Post Battle Thoughts

Clan Skrit
So close! The watchtower scenario is definitely one of the worst for my Skaven - and this particular army list certainly wasn't best suited with the Plague Furnace preventing the Plague Monks from occupying the building. Still not really sold on using the Plague Furnace in games below 3000pts - 50 Plague Monks has been much more useful to me in the past.

I can't help but feel luck was a little against me this game:
[LIST]
Multiple miscasts with the Plague Priest (when only rolling 2-3 dice to cast) - serves me right for trying to cast a spell I don't absolutely need to get off!
The Gutter Runners would never manage more than one 6 when shooting (and always failed to wound with any other hits)
My Clanrat horde fleeing from 2 Great Eagles after failing a re-rollable, Ld9, break-test
And finally the Doomwheel careening into the side of the watchtower just as it was ready to blast away the final 3 Treekin was gutting (especially when it was about 15"+ away at the start of the turn)

Having said that it was a really enjoyable game. Was great to play against the Wood Elves and see that they can still work in 8th Edition. Look forward to the rematch!

Wood Elves

dementian
29-12-2011, 17:33
As usually good battle report. Why are all the pictures so small this time though?

Randomness of Skaven army always makes for interesting things...like after 6 battles of leaving it out of my armies due to poor performance I bring back a warpfire thrower who misfires and scatters right over to my clanrat bunker and killed 9 of them...good thing I had skitterleaped grey seer earlier that turn.

tarrym
30-12-2011, 07:53
As usually good battle report. Why are all the pictures so small this time though?

Thanks.

I use Google Picasa Web Albums to transfer the images onto Warseer as I write these threads. I suspect there has been some change in the way the links work and Warseer has uploaded the thumbnail version of each image.

I'll work my way through the images and restore them to a more useful size!

Noght
30-12-2011, 19:38
Nice report.
Links to larger pics aren't working.
FYI, Wood Elf woods are normal and only deploy in the 12" deployment zone for 8th edition (in the FAQ for WE).
Thanks for all the work.

Noght

tarrym
31-12-2011, 07:05
Nice report.
Links to larger pics aren't working.
FYI, Wood Elf woods are normal and only deploy in the 12" deployment zone for 8th edition (in the FAQ for WE).
Thanks for all the work.

Noght

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't finished doing all the images until just now :) Should all be there now though.

And I'll pass on the info about the free wood FAQ. Cheers

DarKolia
31-12-2011, 10:45
Hi!

Nice report! Seems like Skaven are their worst enemy (as usual) (I like the way the Wheel tried to conquer the tower)
Just a few things
Wood Elves do not test in Forest (I asked my local GW store)
You can only attack (and defend) a building with ten models... it seems therefore very unlikely that clanrats can kill 7 Wardancers and suffer just a couple of dammage in return (odds are 2-3 losses for the WD and 6 to the CR, 9 if WD use the +1A dance)
Could you please explain how it happened? (did you take the Frenzy potion? an assassin? they are not listed... did the warboss do the job?)
Sincerely

DarK

tarrym
31-12-2011, 15:11
Wood Elves do not test in Forest (I asked my local GW store)

I did ask the WE player at the time and we couldn't find anything that said WE were immune to dangerous terrain from forests. If the GW staff think that they are immune then I would ask them for a specific document reference to back it up - otherwise you'll have a hard time getting all your opponents to follow this rule :)

You can only attack (and defend) a building with ten models... it seems therefore very unlikely that clanrats can kill 7 Wardancers and suffer just a couple of dammage in return (odds are 2-3 losses for the WD and 6 to the CR, 9 if WD use the +1A dance)
Could you please explain how it happened? (did you take the Frenzy potion? an assassin? they are not listed... did the warboss do the job?)

So if there are 10 models attacking (with 1 Attack each), then there is a chance of them doing 10 wounds. Unlikely I admit - but it's still possible. That's why we roll dice rather than always applying the average result :)

In this instance I believe the Skaven Warlord inflicted 2-3 wounds, and the Clanrats did the rest. And yes, we are aware that only 10 models are allowed to attack from either side.

Tupinamba
31-12-2011, 16:06
As always, an excellent BR.

I had the same doubts as Darkolia about that bulding fight and wondered why the wardancers didnīt trounce those rats. In general, buildings are good for elves, as it takes away the step up and they should hit first with their high I (though Skaven are fast too).

Well, thatīs why dice are rolled after all.

Smithpod68
31-12-2011, 18:44
Where does it say it is a normal wood not a mysterious one?

Page 18 – Woodland Ambush
Change the second sentence to “In Pitched Battles, just after
the roll for deployment zones, but before any units have been
deployed, the Wood Elf player can place an extra wood (no
larger than 6" in diameter) anywhere in his deployment zone.”

tarrym
01-01-2012, 06:10
In general, buildings are good for elves, as it takes away the step up...

You're right, the buildings do favour the elf units more than skaven. However if you read the rules for assaulting buildings on BRB p128:

Allocating Attacks
Note that casualties are taken from the 'back' of the unit as normal. If one side suffers casualties before it fights, extra models are assumed to step up and join the assault party in place of fallen comrades...

So stepping up is allowed in a building assault.

Where does it say it is a normal wood not a mysterious one?

Page 18 – Woodland Ambush
Change the second sentence to “In Pitched Battles, just after
the roll for deployment zones, but before any units have been
deployed, the Wood Elf player can place an extra wood (no
larger than 6" in diameter) anywhere in his deployment zone.”

Agreed. It neither mentions 'mysterious forest', nor 'normal wood'. Probably another example of poor wording in an FAQ.

Going RAW, the BRB p119 says that:

All forests and woods use the rules given below.

So to me this seems to back up the opinion that the Wood Elf free 'wood' is in fact a mysterious wood until someone enters it as per normal rules. I can see how some people may have been playing it otherwise though.

And lastly, with regards to Wood Elves being immune to dangerous terrain tests from forests - it's right. The FAQ gives all models in the army the Forest Strider rule. I'll pass this on to the Wood Elf player next time I see him.

DarKolia
01-01-2012, 15:10
Hi!

Thanks for the info,
That what I guessed in the end ... but I was still a bit amazed by the results and the fact that the few remaining WD stayed so long in the building after their initial defeat (that's why I was wondering if the warlock was here)... you must have been quite unlucky after this (as you said that's what Skavens ... or is it dices? are made for ;)...)
Just Kidding I liked very much the report
(My local GW store also told me if I remember well that the extra WE wood was normal... If they do not test I think this would give us ...yes I play WE...an unfair advantage)

DarK

w3rm
02-01-2012, 13:40
Wow one failed break tests and suddenly what was going to be an easy win for the Skaven turned into an all out rout!

Great report, one of your best by far :D