PDA

View Full Version : Standard army builds

teafloy_the_damned
29-12-2011, 16:53
Ok i'm off a tournement at Warhammer world in March.

Although i've played a lot of games, i havent played against every race.
My worry is i'll go up against someone not expecting a fairly standard sneaky tactic and get mushed

I had a look and couldnt find in 1 place a list that details standard army builds. I know each army has 100's of sneaky tricks but i'm just after the basic army builds, I'll update this first post as required.

Beastmen: Minobus & Herdstone spam

Minobus: Large unit of Minotaurs led by 2-3 characters. Extreme combat unit that get's stronger the more units it destroys
Herdstone spam: Shard of the herdstone generates extra power dice. Expect 3-5 Lv1 magic users generating extra power dice each magic phase
Brettonians: The Knight Bus

The Knight Bus: Large deathstar knight units backed up with small/medium units

Dark elves: Shooty/hydra & Calvary gunline

Shooty/hydra: Corsairs and shades pump out a scary ammount of shots with there repeating weapons and are relitlvly cheep. Combined with as many hydras as possible its a brutal combination

Calvary gunline: Dark riders with crossbows and cold one knights. Cold ones hit with brutal power and the dark rider will chew up any unit with there repeating crossbows

Demons of chaos: Core hordes

Core hordes: Expect large core (but quite elite) units Greater deamons 2500pts+ and lots of dispel scrolls

Dwarfs: Anvil Gunline & Furgil list

Anvil gunline: Large quantity of the most reliable war machines in the game and a good runelord with anvil will stop almost all magic

Furgil list: 4-5 war machines back'd up with 3x40 dwarf hordes for 2000pts

High elves: Teclis list & Cavalry prince

Teclis list: A silly good character who masters the magic phase, combined with the banner of sorcery and he throws a ton of magic about

Cavalry prince: Multiple mediocre-strength units who combine with a double hard cavalry prince and a life archmage to take on just about anything

Lizardmen: Temple guard bunker

Temple guard bunker: Large unit of stubborn temple guard (almost as nasty as chaos warriors) with a Slaan mage priest using the lore of life, keeping the unit alive. With salamanders in support

Ogre kingdoms: Gunline & Hordes greedyfist & Mournfangs

Gunline: With the new ironblaster and leadbelchers, ogre kingdoms can form a very decent gunline and still pack a punch in CC. Combined with a thundertusk that gives all enemy models within 6" ASL rule

Hordes Greedyfist: A 3 ranked ogre horde is incredibly nasty and tough to put down. The greedyfist is a magic item that a butcher or slaughtermaster can take and every time he hits an enemy spellcaster they loose 1 magic level. And thanks to the FAQ, that includes any magic missiles they throw. Real magic nullfier

Mournfangs: Thee are the ogre calvery, they have M8 and hit brutally. Expect numerious small units

Orcs and Goblins: Kings of the hordes

Kings of the hordes: Multiple builds but most envolve units that the bigger the better. Expects horde formations with millions of goblins or Black orcs & Big-uns

Skaven: Slavespamming

Slavespamming: 40 skaven slaves are around the 100pt mark. You can expect 100's of them filling the battlefield corner to corner

Tomb Kings: Khalida archers

Khalida archers: lots of archers, ssc, and khalida.

Warriors of chaos: Hellcannon hell & Super chosen

Hellcannon hell: Basicly pannic tests all round. A hellcannon hit causes a panic test. Lots of hellcannons combined with the right magic has your army panic'ing off the board

Super chosen: Its relitivly easy via the use of the warshrines, to get a large unit of chosen chaos warriros running about with a 3+ ward and stubborn

Vampire counts: Grave guard Deatstar & Bloodknight deatstar

Grave guard Deatstar: Expect huge unit of these killing blow hard nuts with possible regeneration

Bloodknight deatstar: Large calvery unit with a character able to bring bloodknights back from the dead

Woodelves: Moonstone hop & Bows and wood

Moonstone hop: Its a magic item that allows you to transport a unit thats in a wood to any other wood. Puts a cramp on your day to have a large unit of wildriders or treekin pop up and charge along your gunline

Bows and wood: All archer core, multiple treemen and treekin unit lists.

popisdead
29-12-2011, 18:41
I'd be surprised to see Wildriders moonstone hop. They have Vanguard, M9 and are better then turn they are charged. I'd expect to see Treekin or 20 Glade Guard hop though.

herohammer
29-12-2011, 21:16
The ogre gunlne list isn't actually that common. Deathfist balanced lists and armies with multiple units of mournfang cav are much more common.

If the tournament allows special characters the beastmen ghoros msu list is probably about as common as the minobus list.

Purely shooting based DE are pretty out of favor where I am. Expect deathstar builds involving knights, corsairs, or mindrazor spearmen. Most core will be RBX so they all have good shooting but they are pretty aggressive lists I see without very many shades or boltthrowers. The unkillable dreadlord of course makes his appearance in most lists. I have not seen the unkillable sorceress lord for ages on the other hand.

The dwarf, HE, and rat lists all look pretty much like that.

Very similar to the chaos chosen list is the 2 warshrine mark of tzeenth knight deathstar. Gives up wounds for mobility but with a 3+ ward they are still pretty durable unless you have crap tons of great weapons to cut the armor save down. Pretty much a variant of the chosen list as both armies just run forward like tards and win by dice rolling not thought.

Moonstone hop is dead here. All WE I have seen in 8th run the all archer core, multiple treemen and treekin unit lists.

Brettonians run multiple medium unit style builds or deathstar lists. Both are pretty similiar just big knight buses since they can get rank bonus relatively cheap on knights with 3 guy wide ranks. Someone might dust off one of those old peg knight lists but don't expect it.

Daemons you got hordes of the core of a players choice. A million dispell scroll caddies and other heralds and the big boss man of the players choice. If the tourney is 2500 or less the big man will probably be a keeper or unclean one although a generic loc is possible too. All daemon lists are pretty much the same in that they run multiple scrolls, have strong elite units, and horde core backed up by either extremely heavy duty combat lord or magic. (EDIT kairos can't be used in 2500 i derped on his point cost...)

Tomb Kings you have balanced lists with tomb guard deathstar. Khalida and a million bowmen can make a showing as well particularly as many veteran tomb kings players have that kind of a model collection from the previous book with lots of archers, ssc, and khalida.

OandG you got around a million builds compared to soem armies. Multiple horde lists with big uns, savages, and blorcs are pretty common. Blorc deathstar is used too. All goblin armies really means "a million great weapon guys with 2 wounds each" lists and they are more common than one would think. I have played against a very strong savage orc boarboy deathstar list but I have only seen one guy using it. I have seen the multiple arachnarok list once; it gives skaven trouble from what I have heard.

Vampires ( assuming you mean old book) will be either GG deathstar with the works (regen banner, helm of commandment, banner of the barrows, etc.) or bloodknight deathstar with bloodrinker to make the unit very hard to actually wipe out in cc. GG performs better against heavy shooting and enemy deathstars but the knights are very strong vs. builds without a true deathstar or gunline like the multiple horde o and g list above.

Lizards are either lore of life slaan in TG bunker with decent sized saurus blocks or TG-less lists with ethereal slaan. They all run salamanders since shooting into combat and being able to march and fire is stupid as hell.

the Witch kings regent
30-12-2011, 05:01
Be wary of dark elf calvary army. with M9 Dark riders with crossbows and cold one knights as the hitter they are wicked fast and if you don't what unit you have to hit then and there they will rip you a new *******. yeah there are going to be onle around 50 or 60 models but with half being able to wipe a whole horde rank from chaos warriors in one shooting phase after moving 9" you'll be having a problem. move so fast and if using dark magic will trip your combat heavy units up.

Diogenes
30-12-2011, 05:29
Be wary of dark elf calvary army. with M9 Dark riders with crossbows and cold one knights as the hitter they are wicked fast and if you don't what unit you have to hit then and there they will rip you a new *******. yeah there are going to be onle around 50 or 60 models but with half being able to wipe a whole horde rank from chaos warriors in one shooting phase after moving 9" you'll be having a problem. move so fast and if using dark magic will trip your combat heavy units up.

I'd be interested to see a list like this.

tmarichards
30-12-2011, 12:41
Would this be for Throne of Skulls by any chance?

I wouldn't worry too much about the lists you'll see there, when I was last there there was a good bit of variety. Just be ready to face whatever comes your way and you'll be fine.

Hopefully see you there :)

Col. Dash
30-12-2011, 14:08
Im with Diogenes, would like to see that list too.

teafloy_the_damned
30-12-2011, 14:18
Thanks for the comments people. Orignal post updated. Please do keep them coming. I may not put all up, but at least people can read through for the ones i dont.

Tmarichards: Yeh it is, first tournement. I'll be the one with the marauder army ;)

Also i know this type of thing you can find on each armies independant forum, but i thought it would be good thing to have in 1 place...even if its only for my benifit.

calnen
30-12-2011, 17:22
The other Dwarf build you can play is the scouting list. If special characters are allowed, they can take 2 elite scouting hordes (with Bugman), and fill up their core with miners. Add Gyrocopters and sometimes an anvil. This list works up to about 2000 points, but not bigger.

Orcs and Goblins: Gribblies list. 3 Araknaroks (inc one with a characters), 2 Mangler Squigs, Troll Horde and Savage Biggun Horde makes about 2500 points. Pretty nasty if you don't have the tools to deal with them.
(Edit - I tell a lie. That list would be over the rare % at 2500. Still, you get the idea.)

Empire: No mention yet? Maybe because there are so many options.
The 'standard' Empire list around here is similar to the Dwarf one. 4 or 5 war machines, 3 big infantry blocks, a smattering of mages, and either a tank or a war altar at 2500. You see a lot of variation though.

Diogenes
02-01-2012, 03:10
Is there an unkillable DE sorceress build? Can someone enlighten me?

BEARO
02-01-2012, 03:58
Vampire counts: Grave guard Deatstar & Bloodknight deatstar
Grave guard Deatstar: Expect huge unit of these killing blow hard nuts with possible regeneration
Bloodknight deatstar: Large calvery unit with a character able to bring bloodknights back from the dead

Both of these are invalid come the new book in January.

Regen Banner is gone and Blood Drinker has been nerfed into the ground.

Stay calm and carry on..

Rogzor87
02-01-2012, 04:15
With Beastmen I see Bestigor Hordes alot more then Minobuses.

tmarichards
02-01-2012, 04:41
Is there an unkillable DE sorceress build? Can someone enlighten me?

Pendant and Dark Magic is probably the closest- she's very hard to wound because of the Pendant, and she casts Soul Stealer every round to get up to 6 wounds. Often on a pegasus to be even harder to pin down.

She's gone out of favour a bit in this edition, the unkillable Dreadlord is the new hotness...

theshoveller
03-01-2012, 11:35
Empire: No mention yet? Maybe because there are so many options.
The 'standard' Empire list around here is similar to the Dwarf one. 4 or 5 war machines, 3 big infantry blocks, a smattering of mages, and either a tank or a war altar at 2500. You see a lot of variation though.
The current netlist favourite is Halberdier hordes with Warrior Priests as core, a mix of cannons and mortars in special, a Steam Tank and then an Arch Lector on a War Altar and a Wizard Lord (Life, Shadow or Light) as the lords. You may see a Captain on a Pegasus with the Sword of Fate ready to swoop down on war machines and wizards.

MLP
03-01-2012, 12:07
Don't forget the Chaos Dwarf/legions of Azgorh which seem to be accepted at tournament so they should start popping up and could definitely surprise you!

Expect powerful fire based war machines, ranged infantry combined with pretty powerful magic.

Expect a near un-killable K'daii Destroyer in tournament lists which will pin down your deathstar for the whole game if you're unlucky.

Generally the troops are very resilient but expensive.

Pawn of Decay
03-01-2012, 12:12
Nice to see that a few people are going to the Throne of Skulls tournament in March. A couple of my friends and I are also going. If you see me come and say hello. I will be the guy with the Slaneesh theme'd Ogre army with very neon pink painting... Some pictures of my army will appear on Warseer eventually.

What I would suggest looking out for is Dwarfs using units of Miners. One of my friend is bringing his Dwarfs and Miners turning up and being magically moved by an Anvil into the flank of your units or behind you can cause pain.

I would also certainly look at taking something that ignores regen. Big units of Trolls, Ogres and Hydras and all nasty with Regen or the ability to take it.

tmarichards
03-01-2012, 13:50
I'll be there with a fairly standard glade guard list. Pewpew!

Among other things, just be ready to be able to beat double hydra and double abomb- there will be a fair few people there with those. To be fair, the double hydra lists weren't really the best ones there (Ben Curry got top DE with 0, and I was second DE with just the 1), but I suspect that's because taking double hydra is a bit of a liability, they had 350 free points on offer whereas I only had 175 and Mr. Curry had 0.

Pawn of Decay
03-01-2012, 14:19
This will be the first real Warhammer Fantasy tournament I am attending. I have entered a couple of local gaming club Fantasy Doubles tournaments and managed to do well in that. But I am taking an Ogre army which is not the most competitive build for a bit of fun really.

One of my friends is taking a pure Warriors of Chaos Monster army (which has never won a friendly game yet, let alone a tournament game) for a laugh and an alcohol filled weekend. Where as my other friend is taking a very competitive Dwarf army to try and do very well.

I take the Banner of eternal flame on a unit of Mournefang to deal with Hydras etc. and so far it has been working well. On play testing my army I have managed to beat my friends Dwarf list 2 out of the 3 times I have played it. But it is for a lot of fun.

Woodelves would be interesting to play against. I haven't faced a lot of the races yet, but I am hoping to get games in against almost all of them before Throne of Skulls turns up. The main army I am worried about atm is actually Skaven.

What sort of thing do they usually bring to the field?

tmarichards
03-01-2012, 14:39
I'd be wary of putting the flaming banner on a combat unit. All it takes is one lone mounted character with a 2+ ward against (and there are a fair few of those around, think Bret heroes, Scar-Vets, Dark Elf characters) to run into them and they're in some serious trouble... a Firebelly is pretty sufficient for dealing with abombs or hydras.

With regards to Skaven- could be anything really... double WLC is pretty likely.

One thing I've found at both Throne of Skull's I've been to is that a lot of the usual tournament crowd don't attend for whatever reason, which throws a lot of the usual builds out of the window.

CmdrLaw
03-01-2012, 15:22
Against Ogres WLC's are really not your friend, a couple of us played skaven at a mighty empire weekend (against a lot of skaven as well) and WLC's end a lot of ogres very quickly.

Also expect to see the Horrendous Hellpits and Plague monk hordes with Furnace.