PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Necromancer

Sexiest_hero
30-12-2011, 04:37
I'm late to the party as I sold all of my VC off for bill money a few months back. That said GW has righted one of the two wrongs. No longer are necromancers the whipping boys, nailing wood to bone, but running the show Like the good old days, and fluff had them. IDK if GW got them message about people being upset with being forced to take vampires, But the fact that you have have a Vampireless army seems like a good hook to get the Old Undead fans back. Now put the Legions back in CSM and all will be forgiven. Long live the Necromancer Lord!

ashc
30-12-2011, 12:53
Long live Kemmler, because he is awesome!

popisdead
05-01-2012, 22:38
Long live Kemmler, because he is awesome!

+1!!!!! going to dig out my old model and drop him in the cleaner before the 14th.

Rikkjourd
05-01-2012, 22:52
VC characters ranked by coolness:
1. Large angry skeletons (like wight kings and KRELL)
2. Necromancers
3. Ghosts
4. Vampires

wizbix
06-01-2012, 08:28
But but, I wanted to marry and get pregnant to a vampire not a necromancer!

Silly story line if you ask me.

Sexiest_hero
06-01-2012, 08:52
Yeah They seem to forget vampires are dead things, while Necromancers can still get up in the morning........ wakka wakka!

Aluinn
06-01-2012, 09:37
You lied to me
All those times I raised undead for you!

You lied to me
Yes, I tried, yes, I tri-i-ied!

You lied to me
Even though I Invoke-spammed for you!

You lied to me
Yes, I cried, yes, I cri-i-ied!

RETURN OF THE NEC
It is

RETURN OF THE NEC
Come on

RETURN OF THE NEC
Oh Na-gash!

You know that I'll be back
Here I am!

I apologize profusely for this but the thread title got the stupid song stuck in my head and I had to do it, I swear.

But anyway yeah I'm glad they're back too :).

malisteen
06-01-2012, 15:00
I'm trying not to get too hopeful - Just because master necros exist doesn't stop vamps from being necessary for the way the army plays. But to get an idea of how excited I am about this rumor - if pure-necro armies are viable again, I will set aside my twelve or so vamp models, including the entire voncarstein family, and repaint my entire army in favor of something more suited to a pure necromancer theme.

snottlebocket
06-01-2012, 15:21
I'm trying not to get too hopeful - Just because master necros exist doesn't stop vamps from being necessary for the way the army plays. But to get an idea of how excited I am about this rumor - if pure-necro armies are viable again, I will set aside my twelve or so vamp models, including the entire voncarstein family, and repaint my entire army in favor of something more suited to a pure necromancer theme.

Just about every army in the game can run just fine with only a lv4 and no combat lord. Even most vampire armies used their vamp as a caster and kept him out of combat for the most part.

malisteen
06-01-2012, 15:28
Yes, but vamps are more reliant on magic then just about every other army, and vampire caster lords come with specialized powers that make the magic phase less unreliable (MotBA in particular) that necromancers presumably wouldn't have access to. If your army needs the magic phase to function, but you're stuck praying for favorable winds rolls, then you're likely to have issues.

Lord Zarkov
06-01-2012, 15:30
Just about every army in the game can run just fine with only a lv4 and no combat lord. Even most vampire armies used their vamp as a caster and kept him out of combat for the most part.
But you might need some vampire heros to tip combats, not to mention most of the hard hitters are vampiric.

In 5th and 6th edition they had to make Necro only variant lists with all the points costs slashed to make up for it.

malisteen
06-01-2012, 15:35
Not really. They had variant lists for all the other bloodlines as well. Necro lists worked well enough off of recasting and semi-reliable magic phases, but magic is less reliable now, and recasting is gone. If the necros can function well enough, I don't think melee vamps will be necessary - honestly they're a bit too easily blown over for my taste, and I vastly prefer the more durable, more points efficient wights and wraiths for combat heros.

So the main question for me remains, is a necro based magic phase reliable enough to base an undead army around? I just can't answer that question, yet. The rumored new MotBA (reroll one winds of magic die) is an extremely nice upgrade for a caster list in terms of evening out the unsteady magic phase. I honestly might be tempted to run a single nechrarchish hero vamp to carry that power even in an otherwise pure necro list.

TehBloodGod
06-01-2012, 17:35
You can always model your vampires as necromancers, especially if its a purely casting one that wont reach combat and be obviously more powerful than a necromancer.

I'm hoping you can make a pure necromancer theme as well, I highly doubt you can get away with an effective army list with out at least one vampire, but we'll see.

It would be cool if they gave Necromancers their own "vampiric" powers, say Necromancy Powers or if Necromancy Spells were unattainable by vampires.

Also hoping Necromancers are not undead *crosses fingers* for no real reason other than fluff... because Undead Necromancers are called Liches:D

Lord Zarkov
06-01-2012, 17:59
You can always model your vampires as necromancers, especially if its a purely casting one that wont reach combat and be obviously more powerful than a necromancer.

I'm hoping you can make a pure necromancer theme as well, I highly doubt you can get away with an effective army list with out at least one vampire, but we'll see.

It would be cool if they gave Necromancers their own "vampiric" powers, say Necromancy Powers or if Necromancy Spells were unattainable by vampires.

Also hoping Necromancers are not undead *crosses fingers* for no real reason other than fluff... because Undead Necromancers are called Liches:D
As Undead confers Unbreakable, if they weren't Undead they wouldn't be able to join units, which would be a problem...

Sexiest_hero
06-01-2012, 18:50
Necros will be As good as other lvl3 and his price is pretty low, low enough to take 2 or load up on wight kings. Now if his stats are as silly as they used to be he'll do fine.

Coldblood666
06-01-2012, 21:06
I'm thinking I want a Necromancer Lord and a steed mounted Blood Dragon lord in a 2500pt list.

Commissar_Kahl
06-01-2012, 21:25
This thread just got me thinking...

I need to paint up a sparkly vampire!

nah just kidding.

Spider
06-01-2012, 21:59
Maybe I have simply been playing this game to long, but as much as I love my vampires (and I miss my thralls most of all)...I really want the necromancers to return to some level of prominance.

Back in the days of hero hammer...a necromancer could and would wipe the floor with just about any foe. Vampires were not in control, they were just undead. And our beloved necro's owned them.

Add into that some excelent background and awesome got moreso.

Manfredd was cool, but as all vamps were effectively Carsteins, and Carsteins were simply Dracula (Christopher Lee) wannabes.

But necros (and their slighty weaker but wormier cousins) Liches were more compelling.

And Heinrich was the most badass of them all, his background was so cool.

And who can ignore Dieter Helldude (I forget the exact spelling), manticores back in the day were lethal and utterly untrustworth. It didn't stop old Dieter.

His story wherein he had half of his army hide in the bottom a lake to ambush some passing Empire soldiers was cool.

In fact Dieter had a battle report, and it was that battle report that got me fired up to play Warhammer again after a few years of Epic and 40k.

Necromancers>all.

Heinrich Kemmler and Dieter Helldude Doubleteam>Necromancers.

This is scientific fact.

T10
06-01-2012, 22:33
Dieter Helsnicht.

Lord Zarkov
06-01-2012, 22:40
Dieter Helsnicht.
The Doom Lord of Middenheim! :D

(and incidental original master to Zach before he wandered off to find Melkhior)