PDA

View Full Version : Educate me: Outriders

calnen
01-01-2012, 20:37
Just a few things I'm unclear on...

1. Repeater handguns are move-or-fire. I can't find a rule anywhere that says this does not include fast cavalry; so outriders are move-or-fire?

2. If they make a vanguard move, does this count as moving during turn 1? I can't find this rule on pg79, but it's something I have in my head. (Possibly from 7th edition).

3. If they're fast cavarly, the rulebook says they get free reforms. So do they need a musician? Or do we think it's worth taking one for the extra ld on rally tests?

4. Possibly should be in tactics, but it seems like their uses are quite limited if they're move or fire? Is the general concenses to stand off to one side (in a wood, say) and pepper fire on the enemy just like a handgunner unit, rather than use them as a hit-and-run unit?

Lord Zarkov
01-01-2012, 20:41
1) Yes, FC is just for re-deployment purposes, they have to remain stationary to fire.

2) No, as long as they don't move in the first turn itself.

DaemonReign
01-01-2012, 20:41
1. Yes they are Move or Fire.
2. Vanguard moves are not normal moves, so Yes they may Fire in the first turn even when having performed the Vanguard move.
3. I personally have alot of respect for Outriders and concider them amongst the best units in the Empire army. They do require carefull management though. They certainly are fragile, first and foremost. A seasoned Empire general will however be able to use them for inflicting quite the headache on most opponants. But yes.. This question is more about tactics and others will be able to help you better than me in any case so..

calnen
01-01-2012, 21:15
Wow, quick replies - thanks guys. I'll give them a whirl and see how we go. At close range, their damage output is quite impressive so I can see them being handy if you can keep them alive.

DaemonReign
01-01-2012, 21:24
What makes them nasty is that the skilled Empire player will perform a vanguard move with them and start firing off volleys in turn one - and the damn unit will be positioned somewhere that you don't want to send anything 'big enough' to reliable tigh it up or kill it. They might not do much damage at long range, you're right, but that Range is pretty Long so they can easily sit on some flank just shooting away - 24" Range means you can't really 'sneak up on them'.

Really good harassment unit. Can score crazy wound-rolls and put Flamers to shame on occassion. Just give them a few chances and I'm sure you'll like 'em.

jtrowell
01-01-2012, 23:04
The main problem is that they are really fragile, and a prime target for opponents arrows and magic missiles. If the opponent has neither (or if they are occupied by something else), then they can become very effective, but this weakness make them unreliable against shooting armies, so they are not used too often in competitive games (still useful, but somewhat risked).

Noght
01-01-2012, 23:30
The main problem is that they are really fragile, and a prime target for opponents arrows and magic missiles. If the opponent has neither (or if they are occupied by something else), then they can become very effective, but this weakness make them unreliable against shooting armies, so they are not used too often in competitive games (still useful, but somewhat risked).

5 Outriders w/muso is like 114? Who cares if they die. If they can get 2 volleys off they usually make up their points. Sometimes I actually charge WM with them.

Noght