PDA

View Full Version : Excitement laced with disappointment

Jacktheripper34
03-01-2012, 22:09
So I know many of us are excited for the upcoming VC release however since we have a pretty clear idea of what's coming (thank you rumor mongers) I am disappointed there's no multi part plastic kit for a generic Vampire lord :( anyone else?

castellanash
03-01-2012, 22:11
Kinda disappointed would've probably been able to make a new dark elf lord from it too

valle
03-01-2012, 22:13
That would have been great, but i am more disapointed at no new zombies, although to be fair, we still dont know if they are worth fielding yet.

The bearded one
03-01-2012, 22:15
you get the sweetest wight king I've ever seen instead.

Not to mention the plastic wraith and banshee a couple of months ago :P

furthermore the Mortis engine/coven throne kit has 3 models left that can be turned into generic vampires if you build a mortis engine out of the kit, and there are a dozen or so different metal generic vampire models.

Maoriboy007
03-01-2012, 22:17
Actually I have to say the Ghoul King that comes with the Terrorgheist is a pretty damn cool Strigoi Vampire too.

Korraz
03-01-2012, 22:33
Don't be disappointed.
Most of these kits aren't very good.

Eddie Chaos
03-01-2012, 22:41
Actually I have to say the Ghoul King that comes with the Terrorgheist is a pretty damn cool Strigoi Vampire too.

The Ghoul king IS a Strigoi

ArtificerArmour
03-01-2012, 22:42
I'm sure from the other 6000 or so GW prodcuts you could make a pretty decent plastic vampire lord ;)

Maoriboy007
03-01-2012, 23:37
The Ghoul king IS a Strigoi

Yeah but the other Strigoi Vampires aren't that good, the Ghoul King model is more what I imagine a strigoi to look like.

Aluinn
03-01-2012, 23:46
My main disappointment is that preorders will be up this week and yet we have very little information about the rules. People are talking about Ghouls and Zombies but the truth is we have no clue what's going to happen to either of them, nor a large number of other units for that matter, beyond the most vague of hints. Contradictory information also continues to be posted.

I appreciate the work of Warseer's rumor people and I don't blame this on them, but this is really the first GW army release in as long as I can remember where the rumors have been so lacking as to actually cause me frustration rather than anticipation.

Other than that everything sounds fine ... sort of ... but I can't tell, really.

Jacktheripper34
03-01-2012, 23:55
I'm sure from the other 6000 or so GW prodcuts you could make a pretty decent plastic vampire lord ;)

Well that could make an interesting discussion as well (hopefully this doesn't toss the thread int M&P) but anyone have any ideas for either a combat or wizard Vamp.

-Jack

The bearded one
04-01-2012, 00:05
any of the dozen metal ones? :p

Coldblood666
04-01-2012, 01:20
I'm disappointed in fell bats, spirit hosts, and bat swarms. It's been far too long...

We could of used a cool new plastic black coach too.

And a BSB option on the new wight king!

BEARO
04-01-2012, 02:30
So I know many of us are excited for the upcoming VC release however since we have a pretty clear idea of what's coming (thank you rumor mongers) I am disappointed there's no multi part plastic kit for a generic Vampire lord :( anyone else?

Buy the Terrorgheist. There's a beautiful Vampire Lord in there for you.

Then there's a thing out there called kit-bashing, Chaos Knights/Warriors/Dragon Princes all use great pieces to make a stand-in/knight Lord.

BobtheInquisitor
04-01-2012, 06:46
Well that could make an interesting discussion as well (hopefully this doesn't toss the thread int M&P) but anyone have any ideas for either a combat or wizard Vamp.

-Jack

I made a vampire out of a WoC body and the fanged head from the Khorne Berserker box. I just shaved off all the wires and green stuffed some hair, and BAM! instant vampire. I also took two of the grave guard great weapon blades and used them as swords for a more vampirey look.

You could also make a decent vampire out of some of the DE corsairs, with maybe a Space Wolf head or something.

For a wizard vamp, just use a vampy head on the plastic Necromancer or on the plastic Chaos Sorceror. You could probably even just use the DE sorceress as is, or give her one of the Buffy-and/or-Angel vamp faces in the Daemonettes kit.

LotusCorgi
04-01-2012, 07:09
As spoiled for choice we VC players are, the old metal bloodlines models just seem like heroes not lords. Our two lord models are good, not great. Not exactly what I'm looking for. I use the AoW vampress model.

Scythe
04-01-2012, 07:45
I don't think a generic multi-part plasic vampire box would work. Vampires are just too diverse to catch in a single kit. From the bestial, muscular Strigoi to the armour clad blood dragons and the refined robes of the female Lahmia and the deranged sorcerer look of the Necrach, there is just too much diversity to capture in a multi-part plastic set. I'm happy with the existing range actually, and like the additions through finecast and/or as part of larger plastic sets.

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-01-2012, 07:50
Don't be disappointed.

Sadly I'd have to agree. The Black Knights looked fine, as did the Wight King but I did not like any of the new entries. The Mortis Engine/Coven Throne are horrible messy awful looking models, the Ghoulkin is just rather bland and uninspired and the Hexenknights(Is that the name?) seemed a little off somehow.

Now it being VC it should be relatively easy to convert your way out of bland/bad models so it's not really a big deal. And as for a Vampire kit, how many thousand of options do you want? Virtually any character model ever by anyone can be turned into a vampire by the simple expedience of saying it is so. In fact I think that many of the GW "official" vampire models makes some of the worst vampires as they are so busy showing off their vampire bling and massive fangs they just look comical rather than menacing.

I think the real disappointment would be if/that is no new Zombie kit. Those models were poor when they were released (how I hated painting them!) and they haven't aged well either(pun intended).

Liber
04-01-2012, 08:40
And a BSB option on the new wight king!

Well, there is always this http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/VAMPIRE-COUNTS/WIGHT-KING-BATTLE-STANDARD-BEARER.html

one of the coolest bsb models out there imo.

Spiney Norman
04-01-2012, 08:46
The Dark Eldar Lahmean makes an excellent "underworld" style Vampiress, thats what I'd be using, with a few modifications. For a wizardly vampire, I still love the metal Lahmian models in the WFB range.

Urgat
04-01-2012, 09:31
Sadly I'd have to agree. The Black Knights looked fine, as did the Wight King but I did not like any of the new entries. The Mortis Engine/Coven Throne are horrible messy awful looking models, the Ghoulkin is just rather bland and uninspired and the Hexenknights(Is that the name?) seemed a little off somehow.

You don't agree with him (well, until he posts that he indeed dislikes the new kits, that is). Korraz talked about the multipart character kits, and I agree with him. Besides the Empire sorcerer kit, I can't think of a good one. The dwarf-warboss kit (dwarf as is "oy, I'm tiny, so wot?)? Don't make me laugh :/
And proof that tastes differ, I find the Mortis Engine/Coven Throne absolutly stunning, it's up there in the list of the most incredible kits ever done, GW or not, for me.

Demgear
04-01-2012, 10:36
Why not pick up Wulfrik the Wanderer, and use his body with some vampire head, and change the weapons he's carrying. Very lord like model, bulky and well armoured, as well as having **** loads of skulls. Just file off the Khorne markings!

eldargal
04-01-2012, 10:41
Agreed, the Coven Throne is my favourite plastic kit GW produce.It is magnificiently gothic and fantastical at the same time, I think it is inspired. I've hated VC for three years, if someone had said to me a couple of weeks ago that I would even be considering a VC army I would have ripped their head off and spat down their throat, in the Scottish manner. Now I'm eagerly planning a Lahmian army based around skellingtons and spirits.:shifty:

And proof that tastes differ, I find the Mortis Engine/Coven Throne absolutly stunning, it's up there in the list of the most incredible kits ever done, GW or not, for me.

Mirbeau
04-01-2012, 10:51
Lots of good ideas on this thread. Further - gw don't make plastic multi-part character boxes any more. Personally I'm glad, always found the results out of scale, goofy (perhaps besides the empire wizard set) and I much prefer the new plastic blisters.

The Marshel
04-01-2012, 10:52
Gw seems to be moving away from multi part plastic lord and HQ kits for both warhammers. I can't think of any such kits being released recently (this doesn't include the new plastic heroes such as the lizardmen oldblood and nurgle warlord, i mean the kits like marine captain and orc warboss)

In some ways this is good and in others bad. I found that the hero kits like space marine captain make very bland models compared to what you could make yourself with kit bashing and converting and are far more useful for their bitz

on the other hand though, not all lords and Hqs have similar enough plastics to kitbash with. Marine captains are easy. vampire's, in an army of skeletons, ghouls and zombies, not so much. These are the kits gw should make for lord/Hqs, rather then marines or empire ones

Gw does seem to be pushing the new plastic blister lords and heroes though, so perhaps one of those will crop up for a generic vampire

AlphariusOmegon20
04-01-2012, 18:16
Why not pick up Wulfrik the Wanderer, and use his body with some vampire head, and change the weapons he's carrying. Very lord like model, bulky and well armoured, as well as having **** loads of skulls. Just file off the Khorne markings!

Wait, what? :wtf:

There aren't any Khorne markings on Wulfrik's model....

Doominator
04-01-2012, 18:48
Don't be disappointed.

Care to elaborate?

I quite like the release. The Black Knights are heavily armored skeletal badasses as they should be while the Hexwraiths have the cool flaming effect. I think the wraith horses could benefit from a ghostly color scheme though.

The Crypt Horrors are just big ghouls and while they are unimaginative in some regards the potential as large chaos mutants for 40k or something is there. The Vargheists look cool but maybe because I'm biased to the movie Van Helsing.

Krell speaks awesome with his charging posture and elaborate death armor. I will admit that Isabella should have been sculpted as depicted in the book.

When I first saw the Coven/Mortis kit I didn't understand what I was seeing at first. A large tangible throne carried by a swell of ghosts? The model has grown on me from the WD pic and the three vampire ladies are classic Hammer Horror vampire while the Mortis Engine is pure evil with the blind necromantic servant atop of it.

In short: this is one hell of a release. Now could we get new zombies and a Uniform and Heraldy book please. :p

Mallo
04-01-2012, 19:05
....a Uniform and Heraldy book please. :p

The thought of ghosts/spirits with bright uniforms and heraldry crossed my mind and now I cant help but think of a 'pac-man' themed VC army.

Thank you, this has made my day! :D

ArtificerArmour
04-01-2012, 20:57
You could always convert the plastic chaos sorceror, the finecast lahmean, lelith hesperax, the riders from the manticore/terrorgeist/black dragon, and loads of the new plastics.

Seriously, some people need spoonfeeding! I personally like the gaps in the range that allow you to go nuts and use your imagination to make something cool.

Korraz
04-01-2012, 21:01
Care to elaborate?

Most of the plastic character kits suffer woefully from an extremely static pose and too many compromises due to the multi part customization maxime. I don't know about most others, but the Empire Commander one is also completely out of scale.

Rosstifer
04-01-2012, 21:15
Wait, what? :wtf:

There aren't any Khorne markings on Wulfrik's model....

Look on the Skull on his right shoulder.

dirty_shank
04-01-2012, 22:06
Originally Posted by Gorbad Ironclaw
Sadly I'd have to agree. The Black Knights looked fine, as did the Wight King but I did not like any of the new entries. The Mortis Engine/Coven Throne are horrible messy awful looking models, the Ghoulkin is just rather bland and uninspired and the Hexenknights(Is that the name?) seemed a little off somehow

I find it incredible that so many people are like ZOMGWTF!?!?!AMAZING!?! in regards to the pictures of the new releases, specificaly the Coven Throne. None of these people have held it yet or put one together, it's a bit much to say 'it's the best kit GW have ever done', talk about jumping on badwagons. From what little glimpse of the new releases we have in the scanned photo from WD I have to agree with Mr. Ironclaw to an extent. The pictures show the Coven Throne in particular as a messy model with no obvious point of focus. Prehaps its just he pictures but it really looks like an ambitous and not very well executed homebuild. The Mortis Engine looks better to me, less crowded and a more appealing concept. Judging by the photos the Coven Throne kit has some great bits that could be used in many inventive and cool ways rather than that silly flying mess. Still, until the kit is in front of you, and it helps if you have put it together or better yet painted it, it is silly to pass judgement

lbecks
04-01-2012, 23:46
Gw seems to be moving away from multi part plastic lord and HQ kits for both warhammers. I can't think of any such kits being released recently (this doesn't include the new plastic heroes such as the lizardmen oldblood and nurgle warlord, i mean the kits like marine captain and orc warboss)

In some ways this is good and in others bad. I found that the hero kits like space marine captain make very bland models compared to what you could make yourself with kit bashing and converting and are far more useful for their bitz

on the other hand though, not all lords and Hqs have similar enough plastics to kitbash with. Marine captains are easy. vampire's, in an army of skeletons, ghouls and zombies, not so much. These are the kits gw should make for lord/Hqs, rather then marines or empire ones

Gw does seem to be pushing the new plastic blister lords and heroes though, so perhaps one of those will crop up for a generic vampire

I think that kind of release would have worked well for Vampire counts. All the vampires are metal or finecast. A multi part plastic kit with a mount and standing figure is pretty much the evolution of all the standing and mounted metal combo vampire packs.

Lord Dan
04-01-2012, 23:53
Don't be disappointed.

This. I have to say their plastic "blisters" are far superior to any of the multipart plastic hero kits I've seen.

Urgat
05-01-2012, 07:13
I find it incredible that so many people are like ZOMGWTF!?!?!AMAZING!?! in regards to the pictures of the new releases, specificaly the Coven Throne. None of these people have held it yet or put one together, it's a bit much to say 'it's the best kit GW have ever done', talk about jumping on badwagons. From what little glimpse of the new releases we have in the scanned photo from WD I have to agree with Mr. Ironclaw to an extent. The pictures show the Coven Throne in particular as a messy model with no obvious point of focus. Prehaps its just he pictures but it really looks like an ambitous and not very well executed homebuild. The Mortis Engine looks better to me, less crowded and a more appealing concept. Judging by the photos the Coven Throne kit has some great bits that could be used in many inventive and cool ways rather than that silly flying mess. Still, until the kit is in front of you, and it helps if you have put it together or better yet painted it, it is silly to pass judgement

So saying it's great from the pics is wrong, but saying it's a silly flying mess is right. You're quite something, you.

Rosstifer
05-01-2012, 07:41
I agree with Urgat. Nice double standard in the same paragraph thar.

eldargal
05-01-2012, 07:46
You said it much more politely than I was going to.:shifty: Given that GW kits tend to look better than the eavy metal paintjobs would indicate I think it is a fairly safe bet that the Coven Throne will meet expectations.

So saying it's great from the pics is wrong, but saying it's a silly flying mess is right. You're quite something, you.

Urgat
05-01-2012, 11:09
There's also two technical things:
1) unless made by professionnals, pictures tend to flatten things. Don't get me wrong, the photos taken by GW are excellent, but it leads me to...
2) they're taken with extreme contrasts, very bright lighting to basically remove shadows, etc, so the details are clear, the colours radiant. In addition, Heavy Metal paints their minis in a way to fully use this way of taking shots (exagerated contrasts, etc. People visiting Warhammer World at Nottingham have often said they didn't look as good in real, and that's normal if they're not displayed under spots, which won't be the case as that would probably have bad effects on the paint rather fast). So the colours pop out like crazy, but at the same time, it removes the sense of depth. It's usually fine because, all considered, most minis are rather two dimensional. That, for example, allows me to do all these doctored pictures with absurd ease, there's basically no lighting to pay attention to.
But with the new plastic kits, it's not really true anymore. Such a model as the covent throne will suffer from a lack of shadows more than gain from it, imho, because it is... how to say? Multi-layered? So what's in front blends in with what's in the back, because there's no shadows, no depth of field, heck, looking at the base, you can tell there's basically not even any perspective, so to speak. But you can still clearly see what is there, it just looks flat. I'm positive the real thing is going to be stunning.

popisdead
05-01-2012, 22:29
I'll agree it's a bit lame that we are getting one-pose plastic characters but no multi-kit. I didn't like the multi kits through.