PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty choosing an army

TehBloodGod
04-01-2012, 04:10
Hello all, my name is Matt and I am 19 years old. I love Khorne, I have a 2,500pt Khorne themed Warriors army that I am content with but I'm looking for something more competitive and versatile. I have no problem with magic as long as it stays out of my Khorne army.

I am trying to find an army when I am not using Warriors of Khorne. This would be the army I'd use in competitive tournaments (versus fluffy tournies) and whenever I feel like doing something other than running around and charging.

I have 3 friend that I play against frequently and I do not want to use their armies.

Ogres, Lizardmen, and Nippon (japanese-based independent army). I also don't want to play any army that Khorne is involved with (Daemons and Beasts).

I didn't know where to begin, so I came here. I've checked GWs website many times and its rather unhelpful because I don't honestly think they have any idea how to actually play the game.

I'd like to stay away from Dwarves because my friend has already "called" them when their new book is released. I was thinking of going Empire when he went Dwarves for fun. So I might do that, not sure though. I was hoping more experienced players could ask me some questions or make suggestions that would help me understand how to decide on an army.

Goat of Yuggoth
04-01-2012, 04:26
I look at the models first and foremost as I don't want to play an army that I can't get to "feel". I also usually indulge myself in the background a bit to see if it's for me.

But Empire is a solid choice, versatile enough to help you out in tournaments. Another solid choice for versatility would be Orcs and Goblins, loads of room to shuffle around and they're the one army that's actually very fun to play no matter how the game goes.

I can bet you there's going to be someone always saying that you should get that army to win everything, but I think it's more about the player. If you like close combat lords, go for it. If you like gunlines, do it. If you like Wood Elves, you're nuts :D sorry.

All that said, Empire is rumoured to be updated within the year, so call dibs for those if you like them. I think the competetive tourney lists revolve around dealing with deathstars and Ogres, Empire is the ultimate all-rounder so you'll be able to pick your poison pretty well.

Cheers,
Goat

TehBloodGod
04-01-2012, 04:50
Thanks for the advice. As for the "feel" and the models, that is why I chose Warriors of Khorne. My next army certainly needs to look and feel right, but I can give a little up in exchange for effectiveness. Orcs and Goblins or Empire is probably going to be the debate.

As a very offensive Khorne player I think it would be nice to play a somewhat defensive army with some magic (Khorne's missing out).

Empire is more appealing fluff wise versus Orcs but I do agree, Orcs are always fun to play against and with.

Ideally, in my next army I would like to have a solid gun line that forces the enemy to come to me and gives me the ability to soften up enemy ranks. Guarding the gun line I'd like a nice counter charge battle line. I know empire can do this, they can do anything pretty much. Can Orcs and Goblins have an effective defensive type army list? Or would I be better off going with Empire when their book is released?

If theres anyone here who could give me a solid list of models for a 1000pt game I could use against my friend that'd be great. It doesn't need to be an actual list, but simply what I should and should not take?

I'm thinking something like:

BSB, lvl 2 Wizard and a General.
1-2 bus units for tar pitting
2-4 ranged units (including war machines)
1-2 hammer units

Would that be a good start for some test games with orcs and empire vs most likely ogres?

Charistoph
04-01-2012, 05:04
But Empire is a solid choice, versatile enough to help you out in tournaments. Another solid choice for versatility would be Orcs and Goblins, loads of room to shuffle around and they're the one army that's actually very fun to play no matter how the game goes.

All that said, Empire is rumoured to be updated within the year, so call dibs for those if you like them. I think the competetive tourney lists revolve around dealing with deathstars and Ogres, Empire is the ultimate all-rounder so you'll be able to pick your poison pretty well.

These 2 armies plus Dark Elves are the most versatile in Fantasy. Greenskins are only a year old, and as mentioned, Empire are rumored to be coming Soon tm, can actually be effective in most builds even now.

I might even suggest looking at Bretonnia as they are good Khorney without being Khorne. The only issue is that aren't that competitive, at the moment, without really knowing how to play them.