PDA

View Full Version : GW Playtesting

Little Geek
21-04-2006, 19:20
I was wondering as i'd be very interested in doing it, how do you playtest for GW? is it only for employies or do you sign up for it.

The Ape
21-04-2006, 19:33
It involves an arcane ritual of soul binding, together with various depraved acts and culminating in the ceremonial sacrifice of a newly born piglet with 5 nipples.

Or so i was told by a redshirt (technically a blue shirt, although was wearing a black shirt at the time).

Xavier
21-04-2006, 21:08
High placed GT players are often offered a chance too.

Grimtuff
21-04-2006, 21:17
Seems to me as if you have to be a member of the WPS and are invited more than anything.

impending slaughter
21-04-2006, 21:19
Staff, former staff or invite AFAIK

Helicon_One
21-04-2006, 22:15
I know Andy H recruited a few playtesters for the WH Codex directly from the battle-sisters yahoogroup - based mostly on who was taking part and giving good suggestions in the various discussions, I think.

Tim

starlight
21-04-2006, 22:28
Get noticed making positive, balanced, mature contributions to a given ruleset. This can be either on-line (Forums and such) or face to face (high level GW events). Its a reward to people who put out the extra effort for improving the gaming environment.

And the more you ask, the worse the chances.

marv335
21-04-2006, 23:30
like holding political office, if you want to be a playtester you probably shouldn't be allowed to do it.

starlight
21-04-2006, 23:36
That is a really good way of looking at it.:)

Brushmonkey
22-04-2006, 00:06
Retail staff members are NEVER allowed to be playtesters apparently.

The Ape
22-04-2006, 00:16
Retail staff members are NEVER allowed to be playtesters apparently.

Unless they do what i mentioned above PLUS reply to email requests to look at army lists, sent to them by a friend *cough*

starlight
22-04-2006, 00:44
Yes, but talking about it in public is the fastest way to get it revoked.:rolleyes:

GW does quite a bit of this sort of stuff *on the side*, they just keep it under wraps. Don't ask them, they'll ask you - if they feel you fit their needs.

Anvilbrow
22-04-2006, 00:57
Too true.

I was fortunate enough to be asked to playtest the then new, Bretonnian and Wood Elf army books for 5th edition. Several players from the store I played at regularly were able to do so. As far as I was aware, that is a common practce, to ask several players in an area or club so that the secrets don't spread beyond the group. We were approached by an old time GWHQ "celebrity" who was attending a large Comic-Con in my home town and played a couple games with us. I'm not sure what I/we did to justify the invite, but after doing that, we were never asked again...

For the record, I never liked the idea of Arrowhead and Lance formations for Brets. The newer ideas (stakes and revised lance) are far more playable.

Wickerman71
22-04-2006, 07:41
I thought this type of play testing was gone after the VC book for 6th five years back. The most play testing at this time to my knowledge is done in house. this move was to limit the amount of information leaked to the public on not yet released products.

Misfratz
22-04-2006, 08:53
It was my understanding that, although they did reduce 'external' playtesting for a while, they subsequently started it up again.

Griefbringer
22-04-2006, 10:44
Just don't expect a single playtesters opinion to have a huge effect in the end.

Pertinax
23-04-2006, 22:14
Haven't there been major cuts in playtesters recently from GW?

Brandir
28-04-2006, 10:54
I have done a few spells of playtesting for GW. The contrast with earlier playtesting to my last efforts is the support.

In the 'early days' my group was supplied with minis and each given a copy of the thing we playtested afterwards. 'Later days' playtesting is now using proxy miniatures and the group as a whole got one measley book. We even had to pay our own way to GW for a seminar! I finally gave up GW playtesting when I was told to be more positive about supplements.

I seemd to me that GW only wanted playtesters who agreed that their products were great. Hence the quality of the rules and supplements has not improved as they should have done,

However, playtesting for Wizards of the Coast is absolutely superb. They are a great set of people to work with.

starlight
28-04-2006, 16:19
I have heard that same story from *many* longtime playtesters.:( Several who have been playtesting longer than some senior GW staff have been around were particularly pointed in their comments about GWs lack of interest in the opinions of the playtesters.

One in particular said, "They didn't want to hear from us unless we agreed with everything they said."

The Ape
28-04-2006, 22:49
"They didn't want to hear from us unless we agreed with everything they said."

That reminds me of someone on this forum who asked for help about a career with GW...

:eek: controversial... :rolleyes:

starlight
29-04-2006, 02:00
And a sign of a company in distress.:(