PDA

View Full Version : Carmine Dragon Coruscating Blast In Combat

Lord Inquisitor
05-01-2012, 21:03
The Carmine Dragon (from Tamurkhan) has a breath weapon like a cannonball, inflicting D3 wounds on anyone hit by it, no armour. It says it "may be treated just like a normal breath weapon"...

... Does this mean it can be used in combat? For 2D6 automatic hits, automatically wounding, with no armour save and D3 wounds? :eyebrows:

Iraf
05-01-2012, 21:10
I was reading this last night and was thinking the same. I came to the conclusion that it couldn't for 2 reasons.

1. The attack is treated like a cannon ball shot (not able to use a cannon into combat)

2. Omg that would be broken, especially with the Emperor Carmine which for some reason is initiative 7? While all other Empire dragons are initiative 1.

Just seems wrong, so I went with the cannon rules.

Lord Zarkov
05-01-2012, 21:19
It does say "may be treated like a normal breath weapon", just uses a different shaped 'template'

Agree it's broken as hell though.

WF seem to have really dropped the ball with the large monsters - there's the I7 Emperor Dragon with it's horrendous breath weapon, the Kaadi "Look at me I can wipe out Hordes on my own" Destroyer, and to a lesser extent the fairly revolting Toad Dragon

Iraf
05-01-2012, 21:46
Then again the only official part of that book is the Chaos Dwarf list, do maybe it's supposed to just be a broken FW monster (that no one will want to play against)

Korraz
05-01-2012, 22:53
Yes.
An oversight of FW, I guess.
And everything is official from that book.

Iraf
05-01-2012, 23:34
I'm pretty sure only the chaos dwarf list is official.

EDMM
06-01-2012, 02:42
It's the worst written rule in a book full of badly written rules.

It was pointed out as soon as the rules were previewed, check the Carmine Dragon thread on Warseer.

Evil Hypnotist
06-01-2012, 08:14
I'm pretty sure only the chaos dwarf list is official.

By that logic you can't use the scrolls of binding at the back then.

It says the Chaos Dwarf list is an official army list, not that they are the only official rules in the book. It's a small difference but an important one.

I agree that some things in the book are overpowered (especially the Destroyer) and I doubt the same amount of playtesting goes into the Foreworld rulesets as the standard GW ones, this is why many people have issues with Forgeworld products, but they are there to enhance the hobby.

Tournaments will have their own rulings on Tamurkhan rules, and with competitve games it should be decided beforehand, otherwise I can't see why there would be a problem using them.

Korraz
06-01-2012, 11:50
Actually, I'd argue that much much more playtesting goes into FW products than into Main Line ones, considering that FW uses a sneaky way to do public playtesting.

Sadly, they are making the same mistakes as with 40k, back then. They start off with oversights and a few wonky rules. But with some luck, it'll just take them one book to get the right measure, instead of four.

Iraf
06-01-2012, 13:03
It says the Chaos Dwarf list is an official army list, not that they are the only official rules in the book. It's a small difference but an important one.

True. I guess you could say that. I doubt anything other than the Chaos Dwarf army list would be able to be used in say an 'Ard Boyz scenario tourney. Your local tourneys may let it in. Then again your local tourneys don't always require anything official anyways.

Those local tourneys are more about fun times with friends (IMO). I can't see how much fun my friends will have when they are losing on average 7 infantry/cavalry or 4.6 monstrous infantry models from a breath attacks.

A game between friends is different. We'll play with what we want. I just don't see it being allowed in the one venue that I'd really want to play it in. The cheese of all cheese tourneys, the 'Ard Boyz! It would fit in well there.