PDA

View Full Version : Starting an army from scratch

Hoggle
05-01-2012, 22:44
I'm wondering what the best way to do this would be. I recently purchased IoB to start out with my 12yr old daughter. I have slowly been reading through the rules, and we are eager to start the process of assembling and painting the models, and eventually getting to play some matches. She has shown a big interest in the Skavan army, so along with the models in the starter set, I will eventually grab the army book, and a few other great looking models down the line. (Among the first few things would probably be the DoomWheel, and Screaming Bell, as the look of those have a great appeal.

I will use the High Elves myself to start, but I would most likely move towards either Dark Elves, or the new Vampire Counts, as those would appeal to myself more than anything. What is the easiest way to start? Would it just be purchasing a battalion box, and a few great looking models to start? As a beginner player like my daughter, I have zero idea of how armies "should" be built, meaning what groups work well with others on the battlefield together. Is the thinking of the battalion box with models that catch my eye based on looks a bad idea?

We really don't have any plans of taking the models to play competitive on the road anywhere, but rather just good fun battling between the two of us.

EmperorNorton
05-01-2012, 23:03
What is the easiest way to start? Would it just be purchasing a battalion box, and a few great looking models to start? As a beginner player like my daughter, I have zero idea of how armies "should" be built, meaning what groups work well with others on the battlefield together. Is the thinking of the battalion box with models that catch my eye based on looks a bad idea?
For what you plan to do that sounds to be a good start. Just pick up the things you like the look of, as you'll probably enjoy them most.

movin_pics
05-01-2012, 23:10
well after a few years out of the hobby im in the same boat as you, but with you and your daughter i would start with the models you like and not worry about overall battle effectiveness (that can come later). I would also check out any clubs in your area and webstores like wayland games as you get a decent discount on the considerable startup investment ;)

Aluinn
05-01-2012, 23:13
For what you plan to do that sounds to be a good start. Just pick up the things you like the look of, as you'll probably enjoy them most.

That's good advice, and a fine way to do it, but also be aware that there are rules affecting army composition, so it's not necessarily always possible to use whatever models you want without breaking the rules. So:

I'd also make sure you pick up (or convert) a character model of some kind, as your army needs a general, and to take note of which units are Core and be sure to have some of them, as they are mandatory. (You have to spend 25% of the points of your army on them, to be more specific, though you'll need the appropriate army book to calculate points costs.) You can tell which are Core units by checking the GW website, which lists the models by the category they fall into: Lords/Heroes (i.e. characters), Core, Special, and Rare.

You probably don't need to worry about the restrictions on Special or Rare units yet, except that it's generally not a good idea to buy duplicate Rare units until you know more about the game and are playing large-ish games.

But as long as you're learning, I agree with others that you really, really don't need to worry about how effective anything is, and certainly not for playing against a younger player as you probably don't want to use the most hardcore army list possible anyway :).

In other words, just make sure what you buy can constitute a legal army, and that you like the models; that's it.

Grimstonefire
05-01-2012, 23:13
If I were you I'd try and borrow the army books for the armies you're potentially interested in before buying any models.

Aside from giving you a greater taste for the models (paint schemes, artwork etc), it will also give you a rough idea of the amount of models you're going to need.

You could just look at some of the army lists on here of course, just to get a rough idea.

Important to consider the model count imo for newbies.

boli
06-01-2012, 12:41
Honestly... I cannot think of a better way to start an army than simply buying a batalion; a model/unit you like the look of and a few character models. If I was your daughter and starting skaven, a simple batallion and doomwheel would be a great way to bulk up the IoB box.

To balance the army out better later I would add a box of plague monks (bring you up to 40); a plague furnance (from the screaming bell kit) and a grey seer on foot. Whilst that army is by no means perfect it is a solid foundation for an future developments.

Before you do any of this however I would sit down with yoru daughter and simply look at each army in turn including all the special units and models available. The Games workshop site itself is pretty good to give you descriptions and nice high resolution pictures of what each army has to offer :)

Hopefully it will also impress on her that this is an expensive hobby and she should take good care of the armies you are going to be buying, and painting them up is a great way to turn those grey plastic models you currently own into a real army :)

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=cat440007a&rootCatGameStyle=

mrtn
06-01-2012, 16:54
You've got some good advice already. I'll add that you should know that GW are not alone in manufacturing models and such, especially things like paints, brushes and so on can be gotten cheaper from other manufacturers. Buying stuff online can also be a good way to save a few bucks.

If you like undead you could do worse than checking out Mantic's models, a lot of people think they are on par quality-wise, and quite a bit cheaper.

If you like undead you could do worse than checking out Mantic's models, a lot of people think they are on par quality-wise, and quite a bit cheaper.

Yeah, Mantic got me back into Fantasy and I've never looked back. I got solid foundations for my VC army for a very reasonable price, and people I've played with have been impressed with the look of my army.