PDA

View Full Version : Tau Empire Novels? Yes no? [What is you're opinion?]

Cryptic
06-01-2012, 00:39
I have often felt that the aliens of 40k that share human links (Look pretty much human e.g. Don't have 8 legs or bristly bodies - Obvious exception of Vespids and Kroots etc), almost similar goals (Eradication Chaos above all) and try to live peacefully amongst the havoc that surrounds them pretty much the same way the Imperium deals with on a day to day basis deserve to have more coverage in novelisation.

Eldar have had some coverage thanks to C.S Goto and Gav Thorpe

However..

Fire Warrior is the only full novel featuring the Tau that i am aware of. That was a novel based off of the computer game of the same title.

Are there any shorts featuring Tau?

I know they don't seem to be too exciting in comparison to the IoM and Space Marines however they are the youngest ever growing empire that should have its origins, beliefs and military portrayed better.

What are your views?

Xisor
06-01-2012, 00:47
There are indeed shorts featuring the Tau, including a particularly poor one in Fear the Alien.

The crop up prominently in the trilogy Rogue Star/Star of Damocles/Savage Scars. They feature again in the first Ciaphas Cain book, the second book in The Last Chancers omnibus (Killteam) and are examined in some detail in Xenology. Also they're in Courage and Honour, the 5th Ultramarine book.

Personally, I find them deeply interesting. I think there's immense room for exploration of 40k within the Tau Empire. The Kroot, the Vespids, the Demiurg, the Niccassar and the Galg could all do with some fine exploration too, mind. ;)

Cryptic
06-01-2012, 00:52
I started painting Tau alongside Eldar when i began. I just loved the brittle look of them but seeing their exoskeleton reinforced defences made me favour them being underdogs with power in battle suits and plasma technology.

All Cing Eye
06-01-2012, 01:01
I would love to see more Tau based stories, would be a good way to introduce more auxillary races to the fluff.

Personally I would love to see a story about a Guevesa Emissary for the Tau. A human that tries to broker peace between imperial worlds and the tau empire. Lots of potential there for a story.

Cryptic
06-01-2012, 01:42
Anything like that would be warmly welcomed by me. i know that certain.

Rogerio
07-01-2012, 01:40
Tau to me are a very interesting race, they are young and idealistic and think with quite alot of common sense when you compare them with some of the other races in 40k (Humans..) They dont like taking heavy casualties and will never commit to meat grinder battles and would rather fall back and regroup than fight to the last firewarrior just for the point of bravery.

I loved Killteam and its the book that really got me interested in them, i love the mos eisley style impression thorpe gives the reader and to that is a really interesting avenue. I also like their reliance on technology to see them through.

I agree it would be great to see more tau stuff in black library.

Dhurrin
08-01-2012, 19:43
It will have to be done right to avoid them just becoming Blue Humans With Hooves. They need to made distinct, not only in their culture but in their philosophy and outlook on life... And we shouldn't just be told this, it should show through in the Tau's actions.

Easy E
12-01-2012, 19:48
Rogue Star is Okay, but Star of Damocles was pretty tough going. I can't recommend it.

Iron_Lord
12-01-2012, 20:08
The first 3rd ed White Dwarfs with the Tau in had some snippets from their point of view. There was also a little naming joke in one of the characters being a Water Caste reporter called K'tadie.

strongbow
12-01-2012, 20:28
I would definitely like to see more. Fire Warrior by Simon Spurrier (to go with the game that was released) was the first BL novel I read and I loved it.

There is also a Damocles Gulf version of the Imperial Guard Primer book on BL but is unfortunately out of stock now.

Myrmidon616
12-01-2012, 20:36
There is also a Damocles Gulf version of the Imperial Guard Primer book on BL but is unfortunately out of stock now.

They posted a quote from it on facebook the other day so I would hazard a wild guess that they may bring it back into print, probably as part of the print on demand service.

Path of the Warrior is an awesome book so I don't see why there can't be a few more books from the perspective of the xenos, especially the Tau.

MajorWesJanson
13-01-2012, 00:41
I would love to see a book where Inquisitor Kryptmann, post excommunication, goes to the Tau to learn of their methods of fighting the Tyrannids.

Cryptic
14-01-2012, 10:43
that sounds good.

Sandlemad
14-01-2012, 16:30
That short bit of fiction in the older Tau codex, the one with the ethereal meeting the Imperial ambassador and the Imperial Fists captain, would be wonderful if expanded into a whole novel/short story. Had a really great diplomatic feel about it.

I thought Fire Warrior, while very obviously a novel based on a FPS game, gave some pretty good insight into Tau life and culture. Stuff like education, family relations, literature, philosophy, technology and logistics.