PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my empire ! never played 8th

mullens
06-01-2012, 04:33
hey guys,

i just picked up my 8th ed rule book after about a year break. I havent played a game yet and im abit overwhelmed, ive notied that army set up and weapon choices are so damn different.

is there some sort of standard empire set up now? (noticing alot of halb state troops, no knights, no hellblasters etc)

what are the strong and weak points for empire now? (obviously the low T, somewhat average range of troops)

ive currently got at my disposal;

1 x empire batallion
1x empire brigade
flaggies
heros (couple plastic wizards, few scractch built toons)

but basically i would just love to get some help with what i should be focusing on getting/running

sorry about if im not very clear and my bad spelling but im happy 2 clarafy on any thing if u just ask! thanks

Josh

scubasteve04
06-01-2012, 05:53
Strong

Arch lector and warrior priests
Wizards
Bsb captains
Halberdiers
Swordsmen
Greatswords
Flagellants
Mortar
Cannon
Steam tank
Engineer

Moderate

Captasuses
Knights
Pistolers
Outriders
Rocket
HandGunners
Xbowmen

---------------------------------------------- use anything above this line

Weak

Empire general
Spearmen
Archers
Hellblaster
Foot captain
Free company

Memnos
06-01-2012, 06:45
I humbly agree with the previous poster, with the caveat:

Anything in the Empire can work with the right Wizard Lore.

You can take a magic item that can save up to 3 dispel/casting dice. Since Warrior Priests generate dispel dice, you can make quite an effective magic spam list with Empire that will make nearly anything good.

theshoveller
06-01-2012, 07:02
I would also defend the General and the Archers. The General is cheap and he allows a state troops unit to take a magic banner (flaming Greatswords? General's unit with Ld10 Inspiring Presence?). The Archers... sometimes you just need scouts/skirmishers. Detachments that can march alongside (or in front of - they won't cause panic when they flee) your infantry and still shoot are nice too.

Korraz
06-01-2012, 11:46
Everything has its uses in the Empire book. It's probably the 7th Edition book with the best internal balance. Don't worry about what the internet claims to be "strong" or "weak", just pick what you like and make it work.

General. Weak. Tsk.

scubasteve04
07-01-2012, 02:20
I agree the general should probably be in the moderate category...

Algovil
07-01-2012, 04:44
Nothing is really weak IMO, it all depends on if you want the strongest possible or not, everything can work as long as you do not overdo it with lots of archers for example.

Empire general - good for the banner, not great, but cheap as a general if you want to focus on something else than arch lectors
Spearmen - the other troops are often a bit better overall, small difference
Archers - expensive in points for ability
Hellblaster - fun, sometimes amazing, sometimes a waste of points, use it if you like it, I do, but overall not the best use of points IMO
Foot captain - Agreed not great, but cheap, you can use them if you like the models and need a magic weapon or an item
Free company - can be good as detachments, but not really worth it as parent unit compared to swordsmen for example.

People are starting to experiment with other lists than only big hordes now, and some find that they work very well, for example using detachments again.

My advice for Empire:

Have enough ordinary statetroops, either in horde or deep ranks
Have a BSB, protect him
Use warmachines, you do not need to take all you can, but at least 2 cannons, 2 mortar for a normal size army. You can use less, but then you really need engineers for rerolls, sometimes cannons blow up, then it is nice with another
Take something to handle regenerating monsters/units
Use Wizards or otherwise use a lot of warriors priests for dispell dice
Some kind of BS-based shooting, is always nice to have
Take a lot of ordinary state troopers!

Aluinn
07-01-2012, 20:43
I would also defend the General and the Archers. The General is cheap and he allows a state troops unit to take a magic banner (flaming Greatswords? General's unit with Ld10 Inspiring Presence?). The Archers... sometimes you just need scouts/skirmishers. Detachments that can march alongside (or in front of - they won't cause panic when they flee) your infantry and still shoot are nice too.

Agreed. I find the Crown of Command General to be a highly useful dude to have around for a very low price. Taking the Arch Lector instead is certainly worth it for the extra points, but then again I think that saving the points by not doing so is also worth it, and beyond that may be necessary, depending on the size of the army, for you to be able to fit in a level 4 wizard--and I really think that a level 4 Wizard Lord and a General is superior to an Arch Lector with only level 2 Hero wizards in many cases.

Putting aside the War Altar (which is very good, to be fair), I'd rather have two Warrior Priests than an Arch Lector, as they bestow Hatred on two units rather than one and provide the same dispel dice bonus.

I also concur that Huntsmen are pretty good redirectors and, though Scouting them behind your opponent's lines is less useful than with Chameleon Skinks, Gutter Runners, Shades, and the like, can still be handy to have as an option.

Spiney Norman
08-01-2012, 12:33
I agree the general should probably be in the moderate category...

It's not that the general is a bad choice, it's that the extra you pay to upgrade him to an archer lector is ana absolute steal and gives him access to a wider range of options without losing anything other than the banner on a ST unit.

If you want a Ld 9 general character why not pay the extra points to make him an arch lector (unless of course you're worried about army theme, which fewer and fewer people are these days).

I on the other hand never use an arch lector, I occasionally bring my warrior priest, but my crown of command general has been a staple of my list since 8th began.

A few more obervations
Crossbow men>hand gunners
Spearman + shadow wizard lord for mind razor is so good it may lose you friends
Halberds benefit greatly from the presence of a warrior priest
Flaggelents not so good, they don't have the weapons kill to make their attacks count and they die like flies, they are, at best, a very expensive tarpit in a game which, thanks to the steadfast rule, is filled with very cheap tarpits.

pippin_nl
09-01-2012, 20:46
Flagellants not good? Use them all the time, they can squash Ogre hordes and Chaos Warrior units within a single round (yes they need speed of light for the last one). They only suffer if they go second, otherwise they will cause between 20 and 30 wounds in a single round (for a maximum unit).